Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 high-end build

Options
  • 06-12-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

After 5 years of service from my trusty Samsung laptop (which has already needed an SSD swapped in after its hard drive failed), I'm moving onto a desktop build. It will be mostly used for gaming (e.g. Forza 7 (hopefully T10 will get their sh*t together), GTA V, Project Cars 2), and a bit of work too.

I already bought the CPU (a Ryzen 5 1600) and GPU (an AMD Radeon RX580) on Black Friday for €460 altogether, and I hope to use my laptop's SSD (which I got a year ago for €120) for storage and the OS.

I'm planning on following this PC build on PCPartPicker, just with the RAM switched out for this for €177ish (using a Revolut card and Parcel Motel), as I've seen 16GB recommended for PCARS2. Also, I'm not really thinking of getting a new monitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hi all,

After 5 years of service from my trusty Samsung laptop (which has already needed an SSD swapped in after its hard drive failed), I'm moving onto a desktop build. It will be mostly used for gaming (e.g. Forza 7 (hopefully T10 will get their sh*t together), GTA V, Project Cars 2), and a bit of work too.

I already bought the CPU (a Ryzen 5 1600) and GPU (an AMD Radeon RX580) on Black Friday for €460 altogether, and I hope to use my laptop's SSD (which I got a year ago for €120) for storage and the OS.

I'm planning on following this PC build on PCPartPicker, just with the RAM switched out for this for €177ish (using a Revolut card and Parcel Motel), as I've seen 16GB recommended for PCARS2. Also, I'm not really thinking of getting a new monitor.

I'd say you're on the right track. Personally I have a B350 motherboard and have my ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3.8 GHz. Seems to be the general limit for the stock cooler that comes included with it.

If you wanted to spend more on an X370 motherboard it might be worth it to push a slightly higher over clock with better temps. It might also future proof you a bit more as the coming Ryzen generations will be on the same socket.

Most people around seem to be happy with the cheaper B350 boards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm kind of in two minds about overclocking. I want this build to last for at least 3 years, but I'm worried I'll mess up with overclocking and wreck the whole thing.

For the last few parts I need to get, I've gone with:

Advertisement