Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

Autochange wrote: »
    I've seen ven coin (vechain) being spoken up all over Reddit. Really seems like a great project. Im not trying to shill the coin but here is a product review that explains them. 2018 could potentially be massive for this coin. They have some huge partners.

Has anyone any views?

https://youtu.be/wH2G_44x4vw

I could write a few paragraphs on why I think it's a great project, but basically it started when I bought the Reddit shill last week...heavily.

There is a lot of shill going around Reddit at the moment about a lot of coins, and I ignore most of it beyond the initial post/headline. I have to say though that I liked what I first read about VeChain, and it lead me down a rabbit hole of reading some genuine articles about the company and tech. To the point that I even bought some WaltonChain (WTC) coins! (Similar tech, Pepsi to VEN's Coke) Thankfully though, I unloaded those WTC coins just before their 50% jump yesterday. Phew, I was nearly caught with some heavy gains there :o

It's been a good 7 days since I first started buying VEN. By fluke, I got in at a dip of $2.41 and since then I've been adding more. It's increased my initial investment, and it's also been useful for swing trading. I managed to add more VEN during some of the swings on the way up to its current price of 4.30-4.80ish.

It seems to be meeting strong resistance at that $5 mark. The sell walls which have been in place for the last week on it are now legendary on Reddit. There's huge manipulation going on with the VEN price at the moment, and the consensus seems to be that this manipulation is to keep the price low and attractive before some VeChain announcements come at the end of the month, and the price skyrockets. We'll see.

In terms of where this coin's value might go in future if it does reach its potential - People are putting it in a similar price bracket to NEO which is around $100 at the moment. Wow, if that happens, that will be 25x the current VEN price, potential life-changing territory right there depending on your initial investment.

However, I'm trying to be a bit more grounded with my hopes and expectations for it. Forget the moon, if I simply reach the ceiling here in the house with VEN I'll be happy. $10-15 per VEN would be amazing for me, which is about 3x the current price. I'd like to think that's achievable in the first quarter/half of the year. Its current market cap certainly leaves room for that growth in the market.
    jon1981 wrote: »
    why Gcoin? It looks like a complete scam?

Scam profits are as good as any other!

Basically, it was going to be my attempt at a moon-shot with one of the 'shít coins'. I read their WP, saw that there are use cases for GCoin at the moment, saw that they have activity pending soon. Saw that they are in the sports gambling market - that's not decreasing anytime soon. Finally, when I saw that they were based in Dublin a bit of the ol' patriotism kicked in and sealed it. (Haha the devs are probably Asian :pac: )

Cryptopia's failings prevented me from buying that GCN though, and I might end up being grateful to Cryptopia in the long run. I put that money back into my main coins which is what I really should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Answering my own question in case anyone else has a similar problem.
    The original 'ghost' order just appeared in my order history in the last few mins. So about 15 hours to rectify itself.
    Apologies if it's been asked previously but maybe one of you fine boardsie's can help.

I had a buy order on Binance. It look like the website pu the buy order in twice. It took about 20 mins for one order to appear in my order history, which I cancelled. The second 'ghost' order still hasn't appeared in my order history and my BTC wallet still has the balance "in order". So I am unable to cancel the duplicate order either.

Any ideas? I've wait about 8 hours. Funds are still "in order".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

anyone following CarVertical? 9,000 subscribers on Telegram.

https://www.carvertical.com/

This worth the 0.5 Eth?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Tango One

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads how many coins do you have? How many is too many? I have 20. Now 50% is in three coins, NEO, XRB and PPT which have done very well for me, then I have some MOD, REQ, IOTA, SALT & OMG - after that it gets less - FUN, LTC, DGB, VEN XLR, PRL, CVC, XMR, POWR, WABI, ICON and RPX. Is it pointless having this many? I get fomo and want a small slide of the coins that seem hot as I always regret not buying earlier. Even $100 in a coin that has massive returns can be worth it.. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

GaryCocs wrote: »
    This worth the 0.5 Eth?

Interesting idea. Simllar to AERON for the aviation industry. It went up 9x in a few days and then declined

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/aeron/

similar might happen as there seems to be abit of interest on this one. Whether this is a problem worth solving in the long run is anyones guess, not sure why a blockchain makes product any more valuable?

Critique my portfolio.

As I stated in a previous post in pretty new here but have been doing some research. I have purchased some alt coins which I intend to hold onto for a few months and then reasses.

Im currently holding :

Vechain, BNB, Icon, Ripple( which I will keep a close eye on) and Appc.

I also hold some BTC and Ethereum.

Here's hoping for some good gains.

Look, as I state in about 1/3 of my posts, I'm only in Cryptos a few weeks, so what do I know?

I know that I'm going to put the bulk of my investment into companies which actually solve a problem in the world or provide a genuine solution for business demands. That is first and foremost to 90% of my investment funds. That other 10% is for playing around with pumps and reddit shills.

Those companies need to look and act like a business company also. They having active partnerships with global businesses and conglomerates is paramount to my investment.

With that said...

You know my thoughts on VeChain. They are sitting well in my portfolio and could potentially make it or break it.

RIPPLE - Alas, today was the day I sold, everything. No, not when the market was collapsing because people couldn't read properly, but later on when it recovered a bit. I've had my doubts set in about XRP for the last few days. I posted them and the reasons why in the Ripple thread last night.

I made profit with XRP, and it was just time for me to get out and invest in coins I really believe in. Ripple are a top company, it seems, but I wanted out. Does the XRP market cap allow for the kind of growth that most of us are looking for in our investments?

Here's where I make a fool of myself and make the XRP price surge instantly: Looking at the activity of the last few days, I honestly think that XRP is trending down. Where as up until its last ATH, it was gradually trending up. You'd have it go up, ATH, come back down a bit but then still trend up overall and look like it was heading for the next ATH. It seems that since that last ATH, it's leaking a bit rather than strengthening.

I could be wrong though and even though I got out and could be proved wrong here, I wish XRP HODLers all the best with it.

ICON - Love this. Unlike VeChain which I only found last week, ICON has been with me forever - about 3 and a half weeks now :pac: In short, I don't think you can go wrong with. I hope you can't! Lots of info out there about it for anyone who is unfamiliar and interested.

APPC - Don't have any. From the little I've read into it, it seems to be useful and with its ties to the massive games industry, the current price could be undervalued. It got added on Binance yesterday and the price dropped instantly, you'd have to reckon that's partly because lots of HODLers of gifted tokens cashed in on the free money.

If I had the funds available, or the room to further diversify in my portfolio, I would definitely buy some APPC at the current price.

BTC, I ignore because I reckon I've missed the boat there. ETH, I use as a trading currency and something 'stable' to temporarily hold funds between alt trades. BNB, I know nothing other than the nice green its had over the last few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Look, as I state in about 1/3 of my posts, I'm only in Cryptos a few weeks, so what do I know?

I know that I'm going to put the bulk of my investment into companies which actually solve a problem in the world or provide a genuine solution for business demands. That is first and foremost to 90% of my investment funds. That other 10% is for playing around with pumps and reddit shills.

Those companies need to look and act like a business company also. They having active partnerships with global businesses and conglomerates is paramount to my investment.

With that said...

You know my thoughts on VeChain. They are sitting well in my portfolio and could potentially make it or break it.

RIPPLE - Alas, today was the day I sold, everything. No, not when the market was collapsing because people couldn't read properly, but later on when it recovered a bit. I've had my doubts set in about XRP for the last few days. I posted them and the reasons why in the Ripple thread last night.

I made profit with XRP, and it was just time for me to get out and invest in coins I really believe in. Ripple are a top company, it seems, but I wanted out. Does the XRP market cap allow for the kind of growth that most of us are looking for in our investments?

Here's where I make a fool of myself and make the XRP price surge instantly: Looking at the activity of the last few days, I honestly think that XRP is trending down. Where as up until its last ATH, it was gradually trending up. You'd have it go up, ATH, come back down a bit but then still trend up overall and look like it was heading for the next ATH. It seems that since that last ATH, it's leaking a bit rather than strengthening.

I could be wrong though and even though I got out and could be proved wrong here, I wish XRP HODLers all the best with it.

ICON - Love this. Unlike VeChain which I only found last week, ICON has been with me forever - about 3 and a half weeks now :pac: In short, I don't think you can go wrong with. I hope you can't! Lots of info out there about it for anyone who is unfamiliar and interested.

APPC - Don't have any. From the little I've read into it, it seems to be useful and with its ties to the massive games industry, the current price could be undervalued. It got added on Binance yesterday and the price dropped instantly, you'd have to reckon that's partly because lots of HODLers of gifted tokens cashed in on the free money.

If I had the funds available, or the room to further diversify in my portfolio, I would definitely buy some APPC at the current price.

BTC, I ignore because I reckon I've missed the boat there. ETH, I use as a trading currency and something 'stable' to temporarily hold funds between alt trades. BNB, I know nothing other than the nice green its had over the last few days.

I just unloaded my ripple also. I got in towards the end of the run so only made a small profit but in my uneducated opinion I can see it dropping further ( will probably moon now) so im out for now anyway.

Didn't the litecoin CEO sell on all of his tokens with the reason given being a conflict of interest? It looks like a good coin but perhaps the market has been spooked by this. It's relatively cheap in comparison to the other 3 on coinbase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

GaryCocs wrote: »
    This worth the 0.5 Eth?

Min contribution is only 0.01 ETH (about €100).

I just unloaded my ripple also. I got in towards the end of the run so only made a small profit but in my uneducated opinion I can see it dropping further ( will probably moon now) so im out for now anyway.

Didn't the litecoin CEO sell on all of his tokens with the reason given being a conflict of interest? It looks like a good coin but perhaps the market has been spooked by this. It's relatively cheap in comparison to the other 3 on coinbase too.

Charlie Lee did sell all of his LTC.

Just had a thought about Ripple - I'm not completely out yet. There are those 20 XRP that my Toast wallet need as a minimum.

C'mon Ripple, to the moon, $7 trillion market cap!

• Advertisement

Charlie Lee did sell all of his LTC.

Just had a thought about Ripple - I'm not completely out yet. There are those 20 XRP that my Toast wallet need as a minimum.

C'mon Ripple, to the moon, $7 trillion market cap!

I love your optimism :D

Folks to put it in perspective

Market cap of
    S&P 500 - 23tn
    Google - 770bn
    Apple - 885bn
    Nvidia - 134bn
    mastercard - 168bn
    paypal - 95bn

The point being these are companies or listings of companies around decades with multiple products and millions if not billions of customers. Revenue generating. Strong brands. Strong network effects.

We're effectively saying Ripple is nearly worth as much as Nvidia or Mastercard and MORE than Paypal???! come on people!!

Beside bitcoin as a store of value... 99% of the other cryptos are a hope and a prayer at the moment.

Folk to put it in perspective

Market cap of
    S&P 500 - 23tn
    Google - 770bn
    Apple - 885bn
    Nvidia - 134bn
    mastercard - 168bn
    paypal - 95bn

The point being these are companies or listings of companies around decades with multiple products and millions if not billions of customers. Revenue generating. Strong brands. Strong network effects.

We're effectively saying Ripple is nearly worth as much as Nvidia or Mastercard and MORE than Paypal???! come on people!!

Beside bitcoin as a store of value... 99% of the other cryptos are a hope and a prayer at the moment.

That's another major thing I didn't know at the start. I wasn't aware of market cap or how it worked. After watching a few videos I have a much better idea. Would it be accurate to say apart from the product it's probably the most important factor in choosing an investment?

That's another major thing I didn't know at the start. I wasn't aware of market cap or how it worked. After watching a few videos I have a much better idea. Would it be accurate to say apart from the product it's probably the most important factor in choosing an investment?

I'm by no means an expert but you have to look at the market cap as an indicator of the current investment in that asset. Putting the pragmatic hat on for a second:

1) if Ripple is at 99bn right now with no real revenue or customer base of note then the future value is already in today's price with assumptions product, customers and revenue will follow.

2) Ripple price will be highly volatile as any slip along the road will introduce doubt on achieving this future state.

3) what if the next 5 yrs is already baked in today's price? You'll see ripple move between 2-5 dollars as it moves along its journey to either success or failure. If success then yes it may break out above 5.

However this then makes Ripple bigger than MasterCard and PayPal together...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PotatoSpud

Current portfolio looks like:
    XRB -- overpaid, but expect to make it back, wouldn't be surprised if there's a bigger drop first though
    XLM -- the only one of these cheaper high quantity ones that doesn't make me feel a bit weird, might buy more if they drop a bit again, can see it coming back strongly
    XRP -- probably offloading soonish, got a nice enough profit but it's at its limit surely
    VEN -- we'll see, pretty much just buying into hype, got them cheapish a week ago
    ENG -- seems pretty cool, gonna hold and see what happens
    ETH -- would've been just as well buying ether alone and leaving it the past 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Did any of you get in on the copytrack IOS. CPY coin. Lots of hype on it over in CCT facebook.

Folks to put it in perspective

Market cap of
    S&P 500 - 23tn
    Google - 770bn
    Apple - 885bn
    Nvidia - 134bn
    mastercard - 168bn
    paypal - 95bn

It was optimism a week ago, it's learned sarcasm tonight!

Yeah, absolutely crazy some of these market caps.

Never mind those Fortune 500 companies, the total market value/cap of gold in the world is barely $8 trillion. It's important to bear that in mind when observing the Crytops market in full, and not just XRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Min contribution is only 0.01 ETH (about €100).

Can you explain how I get in on that? I don't understand a lot of the terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Can you explain how I get in on that? I don't understand a lot of the terminology.
    Usually with an ico you transfer the eth to the address on their page and it comes back as your coin or tokens to the address you sent it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's another major thing I didn't know at the start. I wasn't aware of market cap or how it worked.

Short answer, no. Market cap is a consequence, not a cause.

Longer answer, potentially. Larger market cap means coin will likely have been around longer than most, will be more stable, is unlikely to lose its entire value overnight.

Not having a go at you specifically here but this is a real indictment of just how much of a bubble the entire thing is. You have people who don't understand a concept like market cap and an inability to differentiate in the supply been, say ripple and BTC (do you think ripple could get to $100 this year questions have been not uncommon) pumping money into alt coins based on a post or two here or ripple or Twitter. Some people will get lucky but a lot of others are going to get very, very badly burned by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Also, some very nice moves on DBC the last few days. Wish I had more in it but a lovely return nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Drumorig wrote: »
    Usually with an ico you transfer the eth to the address on their page and it comes back as your coin or tokens to the address you sent it from.

As above. You'll need your ETH in a wallet. Register on the ico.carvertical.com site (linked from the carvertical home page). Send your contribution in ETH to the address they provide for your account, and your tokens will then be registered to your wallet.

Wave 3, which gives a 25% bonus, is close to completion.

BTW ... though I posted CarVertical here, I haven't bought any. Was looking for peoples thoughts on the business model. They've already raised 7m in their first 3 waves (6 waves). I think this will get pumped once it's launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

As above. You'll need your ETH in a wallet. Register on the ico.carvertical.com site (linked from the carvertical home page). Send your contribution in ETH to the address they provide for your account, and your tokens will then be registered to your wallet.

Wave 3, which gives a 25% bonus, is close to completion.

WHat wallet would you recommend?

WHat wallet would you recommend?
    I use myetherwallet.com
    Any tokens your holding can be stored here also, it's yours and not reliant on any exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Drumorig wrote: »
    I use myetherwallet.com
    Any tokens your holding can be stored here also, it's yours and not reliant on any exchange.

Possible security breach on MEW today, I'd hold off using it for a while

https://imgur.com/a/SYXje#mzvtYeG

Possible security breach on MEW today, I'd hold off using it for a while

https://imgur.com/a/SYXje#mzvtYeG
    Have you a proper link for that? I'd like to read the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

BTW ... though I posted CarVertical here, I haven't bought any. Was looking for peoples thoughts on the business model. They've already raised 7m in their first 3 waves (6 waves). I think this will get pumped once it's launched.

have you been watching suppoman?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Tango One

Also, some very nice moves on DBC the last few days. Wish I had more in it but a lovely return nonetheless.

It's pretty sweet so far only had a small few quid in it too. I have a feeling dent may perform similarly.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    have you been watching suppoman?

No, why? Do share :D

• Advertisement

Short answer, no. Market cap is a consequence, not a cause.

Longer answer, potentially. Larger market cap means coin will likely have been around longer than most, will be more stable, is unlikely to lose its entire value overnight.

Not having a go at you specifically here but this is a real indictment of just how much of a bubble the entire thing is. You have people who don't understand a concept like market cap and an inability to differentiate in the supply been, say ripple and BTC (do you think ripple could get to $100 this year questions have been not uncommon) pumping money into alt coins based on a post or two here or ripple or Twitter. Some people will get lucky but a lot of others are going to get very, very badly burned by the whole thing.

I know you are not having a go. All and any input is helpful. Especially from those who are knowledgeable. When im risking my money the more I can learn the better!

Advertisement