Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Having a small punt on FUN and ZRX since yesterday.

Everything I have plunged between 8am and 9am today and recovering now. What would have caused it. Did lots of holders wake up and decide ro sell. Overall correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

chakotha wrote: »
    Having a small punt on FUN and ZRX since yesterday.

Everything I have plunged between 8am and 9am today and recovering now. What would have caused it. Overall correction?
    I could be wrong but I think that because the price of ethereum was rising and a lot of peoples coins are measured on the ethereum market that it causes them to be devalued.
    Basically if ethereum is more expensive it costs more to buy your alts and as a result the price goes down.

(Not entirely sure the above is correct)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have Ethereum on revolut. Their live exchange rate is always lower than the live rate on coinmarketcap for example at the moment they are offering €1046:1ETH (+ a 1.5% exchange fee) where as on coinmarketcap its €1089. As a regulated financial service provider are they allowed to pick their own rate?

They're not an exchange. At the minute, think of them more as a bureau du change. They're offering you a price - entirely up to you to take it or not. Perfectly fine legally, ethically, morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Charles Hoskinson of Cardona (ADA) has given an update today on YouTube speaking about:
    • Current state of play
    • Recent problems and planned solutions (especially recent exchange wallet issues)
    • Q1 2018 plans

VIDEO HERE

The price has taken a beating this past couple of days (like most I suppose) and is currently $.071 but is definitely a long game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Hopefully it gives it a boot!

I'm pretty much back at where I was on Jan 2nd before things started going through the roof, and then the arse fell out of it again...about 75% rise and fall.

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote: »
    Hopefully it gives it a boot!

I'm pretty much back at where I was on Jan 2nd before things started going through the roof, and then the arse fell out of it again...about 75% rise and fall.

On got on it half way up the ladder so im half happy and half pissed off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Benji20122012

Worth buying into Eth from bitcoin at this stage? I still reckon Bitcoin will hit $20k by end of Feb as cryptocurrency become more mainstream but currently it is moving slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Worth buying into Eth from bitcoin at this stage? I still reckon Bitcoin will hit $20k by end of Feb as cryptocurrency become more mainstream but currently it is moving slowly.

Flippening is happening this year I reckon.

Do you plan on buying back into bitcoin in February? If so I dont see why you'd swap out and back again and risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Benji20122012

seannash wrote: »
    Do you plan on buying back into bitcoin in February? If so I dont see why you'd swap out and back again and risk it

I want to ride the Eth wave which is slowly gaining momentum for the next 2 weeks, BTC on the other hand is slow moving

• Advertisement

I want to ride the Eth wave which is slowly gaining momentum for the next 2 weeks, BTC on the other hand is slow moving

Nobody on here can predict when the current ethereum wave will end so its very hard for us to tell you to jump onto ethereum right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One is going up... and one is going sideways at best... I'm sticking with ETH until there's a definitive change in that trend.

Could be tomorrow, could be in a month, just have to hope we spot it when/if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Another thing that could be happening is that with the current uncertainty about the alts, a lot of people are trading to ETH as a kind of safe haven. It's entirely possible that the ETH money flows back into the smaller alts in the near future. Similar to the way we had days in November when the alts rose and bitcoin dropped and vice versa. I'm happy to be in ETH at the moment anyway, but it's by no means certain that the current trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Did my first true alt trade today, CVC/BTC on Bittrex. Don't ask me about CVC - I've no idea what it does, but it obeys the rules so I can trade it. Made 3.6% - shocking I know, but baby steps, my experience is with coin/fiat pairs. Will slowly increase the trade sizes - currently at a trade size of around 0.01BTC. Plan to take that up to 0.1BTC and beyond in the next few months. Interested in XRP and VTC pairs as well as a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PotatoSpud

VeChain looking like it's making some moves following on from weeks of constant reddit hype

Waltonchain up nearly 80% this week too

That's it, I'm truly hooked now. After watching my ICX and VEN start to really move over the last 48 hours, I've phoned my boss and fúcked him off from 10 heights. These coins are just going to continue going up, right? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

That's it, I'm truly hooked now. After watching my ICX and VEN start to really move over the last 48 hours, I've phoned my boss and fúcked him off from 10 heights. These coins are just going to continue going up, right? :pac:[/QUO

Start picking out which colour lambo you like

PotatoSpud wrote: »
    VeChain looking like it's making some moves following on from weeks of constant reddit hype

Waltonchain up nearly 80% this week too

I did Computer Applications in University 15 years ago, for 1 year, then almost had a nervous breakdown the following Summer because I wanted out (even after passing the exams). So, I'm not going to pretend to be Mr. I.T. here or even have much of a clue about the finer details of it.

With all that said, I really like the markets and industries that both VeChain and Waltonchain are aiming for. Both of the companies have use cases falling out of their arse right now, simply because they actually provide a business solution with their tech.

I have a strong position in VEN, so saying positive things about it will seem like shill. I don't currently have a position on WTC, so I will say that I think it's a magnificent project which I'm sorry that I don't have room for in my portfolio at the moment.

When I first bought VEN, I did buy some WTC. However, further research on VEN made me withdraw from WTC and use those funds to double down on VEN. I sold my WTC just before that 80% jump :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You know the more I watch on youtube the less convinced I am that any of the prices are driven by business value. The amount of whale pumping going on is incredible. You have guys selling "signals" basically organised pumps to get behind a crypto , drive the **** out of it and then dump. These signal services are a few hundred dollars a month.

To be honest they do look tempting because the can prove their successes, but there has to be a catch.

Autochange wrote: »

Start picking out which colour lambo you like

Tesla probably, or something hipster like that.

Yeah, probably gonna get a condo in San Francisco soon. Ya know, just to be closer to the action and to have my ear to the ground. Open a little café with the interest off my trading profits. I really think I could thrive as a barista when I'm not being a trading god.

*Farts*

Damn, that smells good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

jon1981 wrote: »
    You know the more I watch on youtube the less convinced I am that any of the prices are driven by business value. The amount of whale pumping going on is incredible. You have guys selling "signals" basically organised pumps to get behind a crypto , drive the **** out of it and then dump. These signal services are a few hundred dollars a month.

To be honest they do look tempting because the can prove their successes, but there has to be a catch.

Of course there is a catch. Go to Reddit and read the stories of people being screwed by pump and dumps. The owners of the signals buy well in advance of the times signal going out. They sell out while all the suckers are pumping the coin. Hold your coin for longer than 5 minutes and you are now one of the suckers on the wrong side of the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Of course there is a catch. Go to Reddit and read the stories of people being screwed by pump and dumps. The owners of the signals buy well in advance of the times signal for g out. They sell out while all the suckers are pumping the coin. Hold your coin for longer than 5 minutes and you are now one of the suckers on the wrong side of the pump.

Yeah, there's no way you could follow a system like this while holding a job. This stuff is 24/7 ... too easy to get f**ked over.

Well it was a nice high while it lasted, the news out of South Korea is pummeling almost everything and not just my VEN and ICX.

Unexpectedly, I feel remarkably calm and am using the chance to buy more VEN. Not ICX though, I'm just going to HODL what I have and not use the chance to buy more. Even with this drop, ICX is still currently up over the last few days and has had good gains. It's not exactly in a dip, not yet.

Anyway, for those new (like myself) whose coins are taking a big hit at the moment, try not to panic. These extreme highs and lows, this rollercoaster drop, this is apparently part and parcel of the crypto experience and seasoned Bitcoiners have been experiencing this for years. Same with the news out of South Korea, there were hundreds of supposed 'death blows' like that for BTC over the years.

This is what we came for, you can't have the huge gains without the deep dips. The money I 'lost' over the last hour which I'm just shrugging at here would hurt my parent's feelings, likewise with the money I 'gained' in the hours before.

This game is certainly not for the faint of heart, or those who want to make easy money in the short-term.

Edit: Since starting to write this post 5 minutes ago, my VEN and ICX have recovered by half. This is bonkers, I love it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great Post, this **** is bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

jon1981 wrote: »

For that you will get the 2nd signal by which time its probably too late. The 1st signal is where the money is but you won't get that, the top get that.

Weirdly I'm still up which is encouraging.
    Seems to be a climb back up rather than the mass sell off I was fearful of when I woke up this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well it was a nice high while it lasted, the news out of South Korea is pummeling almost everything and not just my VEN and ICX.

Unexpectedly, I feel remarkably calm and am using the chance to buy more VEN. Not ICX though, I'm just going to HODL what I have and not use the chance to buy more. Even with this drop, ICX is still currently up over the last few days and has had good gains. It's not exactly in a dip, not yet.

Anyway, for those new (like myself) whose coins are taking a big hit at the moment, try not to panic. These extreme highs and lows, this rollercoaster drop, this is apparently part and parcel of the crypto experience and seasoned Bitcoiners have been experiencing this for years. Same with the news out of South Korea, there were hundreds of supposed 'death blows' like that for BTC over the years.

This is what we came for, you can't have the huge gains without the deep dips. The money I 'lost' over the last hour which I'm just shrugging at here would hurt my parent's feelings, likewise with the money I 'gained' in the hours before.

This game is certainly not for the faint of heart, or those who want to make easy money in the short-term.

Edit: Since starting to write this post 5 minutes ago, my VEN and ICX have recovered by half. This is bonkers, I love it :pac:

Woke up this morning, checked....DOWN BY 5% OVERNIGHT - SHIIIIIT.

Checked there...recovered by 3% in the hour again. It is crazy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

VEN is around an all time high anyway(excluding the past 24 hours), still above $6 according to CMC, so there's hardly much to be concerned about (at least in my case, since I bought at about $2.20)

According to my blockfolio, I'm down 5% on 24 hrs ago, but I notice the crypto markets often seem to be down when I check them first thing in the morning, then recover during the afternoon. (at least that's the cycle I've seen lately)

Anyone taking this opportunity buying any coins on the low, or waiting for further drops?

I've a couple in my crosshairs just waiting for another few % drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Anyone taking this opportunity buying any coins on the low, or waiting for further drops?

I've a couple in my crosshairs just waiting for another few % drop.

Care to Share?

Advertisement