Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Akrasia wrote: »
    The market value of something is it's sale price, but the ultimate value of something is what it is used for.

My car isn't worth much to sell, but as long it drives, it has value to me as a mode of transport. Metals and raw materials are traded on the markets but the ultimate value is for the raw material is as a factor of production in something that has an end use value. The price of grain is linked to the price of bread. When the price of tulips got out of sync with the price people were prepared to pay for tulips at the flowershop, then we had that infamous bubble

I'm pretty sure most of us here are talking about monetary value rather than whatever personal or intrinsic value you place on something.
    Sure the values of things are linked, but the value is how much you can get for it. It doesnt matter a damn what you can make from metal if no one is willing to buy it form you.
    Even during a bubble, the value is the value. anyone who sells at the top of a bubble gets real value, irrespective of the price subsequently falling.
    The market for "Pictures of my grandma" is surprisingly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Feck sake can you please move this conversation of repetition to another more relevant thread. The same posts and counters are coming up over and over now... 
    Back on Topic please? Pretty Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Akrasia wrote: »
    Funding a company by issuing 'tokens' is like funding a company by issuing collectors edition tea pots. You can convince people that these collectors edition tea pots will be worth a fortune in 10 years time, but the company has no further obligation to the tea pot holders and the teapot holders can only recover their value if they can convince someone else that their teapot will be worth even more than the inflated price that they are trying to sell it at a future date.

Create limited supply of tokens, give exactly the same rights (minus technical ownership) as a representation of investment into the company. The market will give it value as such - it has given it value.
    shares are a regulated marketplace for a reason. Without the regulations there is all kind of sharp practice, insider trading, manipulation of share prices etc.

Which is why they need to be regulated and classified.
    The value of the art is entirely due to the fact that each piece of art is unique and a one of a kind. It's nothing to do with the canvas the art is painted on, it's the fact that it's a desirable object which is unique and will never be made again.

The value of art is down to a range of mainly subjective market values. It demonstrates the ability to give technically "worthless" items value.

With crypto currencies, while there might be a limited supply of each specific currency, there are an infinite amount of homogeneous alternatives given that any currency can be forked at any time, or any cryptocurrency can be copied by competitors as the technology underlying it is mostly open source.

I agree I've pointed this out many times previously. It will simply dilute value over the long run.

The exchange risk involved in cryptocoins makes them useless for global payment systems, and unless they are used in large scale commercial transactions, then there is no investment value in the coins other than as pure speculation/bubble markets.

I would agree and argue that currently most cryptos are useless as any form of national tender
    If Samsung (as a random example) want to validate transactions between their global network of IOT devices I could see them using something like a Etherium blockchain to process these transactions, but the coins themselves would never be owned by anyone, they would be data units, a financial services tool used to validate transactions and all the coins would be owned and maintained by Samsung. If they used a traded cryptocurrency to do the same thing it would introduce needless risk and complexity and reduce the utility of the technology.

If they use up "Gas" to power those transactions, it's not generated for free and a secondary market will trade anything

Demand for something fuels value

Right now the crypto market is an unregulated mess, personally I think a large amount of it is junk, but out of the mess are emerging new types of financial instruments and tech

It shouldn't be mistaken for the entire market and all types of cryptos as being junk. Major companies and industry leaders are purchasing services/partnering with some of these magic beans and developing their own magic beans.. hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

let's get back on track peep's. One of the few threads i find interesting here. Post your alt coin recs and reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Well looks the manipulators got their way. Dragged it down and it's now shooting back up.

I'm up 55% in the past 24 hours. Power ledger and BAT doing very well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Serious greens all round!

Even TRON up 100% in the last 24 hours - I must missed a few tweets. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

POWR and FUN for me. FUN should be releasing their product in the next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

I bought bitcoin when it reached 9.5k, but now i'm thinking altcoins give much more performance. What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

let's get back on track peep's. One of the few threads i find interesting here. Post your alt coin recs and reason why.

Good to see ya back man :)

My picks (some of which I had no disposal income the past 2 days to purchase and are now performing very well)...

QSP - audit protocol for smart contracts and we all now the potential of smart contracts in 2018.
    Nice tight market cap and looks a steal at current ~$.55c

WABI - anti-counterfeit RFID labels and systems for consumer products in China and internationally.
    This has massive potential and they've also a partnership with one the biggest online stores in China.
    Currently concentrating on the baby formula market in China and looks promising.
    had less disruption to it's price over the past few days which I have marked down as a positive.
    Current price $3.27 but really going up

NULS - Blockchain infrastructure which some say has the potential of NEO when it comes to growth.
    Still doing my homework and would like others input.
    Current price $5.16 ( hit $3.50 on black Tue)

GTO - decentralised gifting platform with some big players in the Chinese market already on board.
    This could be a flyer imo
    Current price $0.48c

Homework for today...
    LRC -Loopring

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dextadave

Hey all does anyone use an alternative to coinbase

It wouldnt let me buy yesterday evening.

Its bad enough paying their silly fee's, but nothing worse than waiting to pounce on btc and eth and CANNOT PROCESS TRANSACTION is all i get

Any alts would be great

Hope everyone held tight the last few days dont let the big fish shake you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I bought bitcoin when it reached 9.5k, but now i'm thinking altcoins give much more performance. What do you guys think?

They do but at the moment they also give lots more volatility so bear that in mind. BTC may not rise as quickly but when the bleed happens the cuts to the alts are felt much more quickly and deeply that to BTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

They do but at the moment they also give lots more volatility so bear that in mind. BTC may not rise as quickly but when the bleed happens the cuts to the alts are felt much more quickly and deeply that to BTC.

Makes sense, where do you guys buy them? Is there any big exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Makes sense, where do you guys buy them? Is there any big exchange?

Binance is the most well known one in use at the moment. I am not sure if they are open for new registrations at the moment. KuCoin is another alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Bittrex and etherdelta are 2 more, etherdelta can be hit and miss though, worked fine yesterday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Looking for advice on a possible Cardano (ADA) wallet

The official daedalus one not good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 S.M.H

Dades wrote: »

Who are you following? Anyone making solid predictions on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Drumorig wrote: »
    Bittrex and etherdelta are 2 more, etherdelta can be hit and miss though, worked fine yesterday though.

I hate ether delta, I normally place limit orders, but just this once on ED I decided to speed things up and buy direct from the lowest sell order.

Of course, being entirely decentralised and blockchain based, my transaction failed as someone beat me to it before the trading screen was updated - still got charged hefty eth network fees of the equivalent of about €15 though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

anyone filling their bags when it was about 4.5c yesterday has done well.

I'm not really into flipping ****coins (from my pov) but kinda regret in in this instance.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I hate ether delta, I normally place limit orders, but just this once on ED I decided to speed things up and buy direct from the lowest sell order.

Of course, being entirely decentralised and blockchain based, my transaction failed as someone beat me to it before the trading screen was updated - still got charged hefty eth network fees of the equivalent of about €15 though. :mad:
    Ye I'm not a fan of it either, I was getting plr and hitbtc charge 114 of them to withdraw, never again.

• Advertisement

I'm using Daedelus. No issues. It was a lot quicker syncing than other wallets too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

S.M.H wrote: »
    Who are you following? Anyone making solid predictions on a regular basis?
    I'm being kinda tongue in cheek with TRX. The Twiiter announcements by Justin Sun are Trump'esque in their trumpeting and lack of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm being kinda tongue in cheek with TRX. The Twiiter announcements by Justin Sun are Trump'esque in their trumpeting and lack of substance.

He is like a totally a highly stable marketing genius!
    So much fake news and FUD that can only be dispelled by constant high energy updates! ;)
    Ignore the FUD and trust in Sun! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

rapul wrote: »
    thread ruined good job lads

I tried to start another one but it was closed quickly.

A discord free thread for coin owners. Emphasis on positive news etc. No fud allowed.

Autochange wrote: »

A discord free thread for coin owners. Emphasis on positive news etc. No fud allowed.

Having a standpoint of ignoring FUD or negativity basically turns the thread into an echo chamber where dissent is frowned upon and only positivity is on the menu.
    I for one do not want to see threads on Boards go down that route.

Labelling an opinion as FUD is the default defence for many when their stance on a coin is challenged and its an easy way to ignore an argument or counterpoint.
    Surely it is more worthwhile to discuss the pros and cons rather than outright ignore opinions that are deemed FUD?

As for Discord, i dont know if you mean the app?
    But I'm assuming the mod who locked up the other thread thought you meant "disagreement" ;)

Discord, Telegram any source at all.
    Discounting info solely because of the source rather than researching it and discussing its merits is a poor approach to any discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Nice seeing the green. Hope it recovers completely.

I was ****ting it yesterday down 50% from in initial investment and now I'm wishing I bought more at the dip. Haha

Autochange wrote:

Yeah this was a rediculous idea. The Internet has enough echo Chambers thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

banie01 wrote: »
    Having a standpoint of ignoring FUD or negativity basically turns the thread into an echo chamber where dissent is frowned upon and only positivity is on the menu.
    I for one do not want to see threads on Boards go down that route.

Labelling an opinion as FUD is the default defence for many when their stance on a coin is challenged and its an easy way to ignore an argument or counterpoint.
    Surely it is more worthwhile to discuss the pros and cons rather than outright ignore opinions that are deemed FUD?

Discounting info solely because of the source rather than researching it and discussing its merits is a poor approach to any discussion.

The few spewing FUD who caused the thread to be derailed yesterday weren't contributing to discussion at all though - they weren't being ignored, their arguments were being picked apart and they refused to believe it could be a feasible way for a coin to gain value, ignoring basic supply->demand economics and refusing to believe that anything other than corporate shareholder economics is workable.

Anyway, the other pro/con nay-saying thread is available and open for them to spew indignation - best to leave this thread as it should be, for talk of altcoins (including FUD about alts but not including hilariously ignorant views on all cryptos based on an inability to grasp the concept of supply and demand).

If they have any specific concerns or continued confusion with supply->demand economics they can start a thread about it.

Autochange wrote: »

I wouldn't bother try to change it, just look on other forums, here's the real altcoin speculation forum for example https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=224.0

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    The few spewing FUD who caused the thread to be derailed yesterday weren't contributing to discussion at all though - they weren't being ignored, their arguments were being picked apart and they refused to believe it could be a feasible way for a coin to gain value, ignoring basic supply->demand economics and refusing to believe that anything other than corporate shareholder economics is workable.

With one poster in particular I'd wholeheartedly agree with their not understanding economics or supply/demand.
    That said I still believe that rather than focus on banning conversation outright, the ignore user option is available.

Theres also the old tactic of not feeding the trolls. There are a few regular contrarian posters that I just ignore outright, as I'm sure a few do with me ;)

TLDR: I'm not at all in favour of going down the road of excluding FUD/Negative discussion or topics, provided there is actual discussion rather than the tripe that was swilled yesterday.
    That said, hitting ignore sorted that foe me ;)

Advertisement