Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

banie01 wrote: »
    Having a standpoint of ignoring FUD or negativity basically turns the thread into an echo chamber where dissent is frowned upon and only positivity is on the menu.
    I for one do not want to see threads on Boards go down that route.

Labelling an opinion as FUD is the default defence for many when their stance on a coin is challenged and its an easy way to ignore an argument or counterpoint.
    Surely it is more worthwhile to discuss the pros and cons rather than outright ignore opinions that are deemed FUD?

As for Discord, i dont know if you mean the app?
    But I'm assuming the mod who locked up the other thread thought you meant "disagreement" ;)

Discord, Telegram any source at all.
    Discounting info solely because of the source rather than researching it and discussing its merits is a poor approach to any discussion.

It was meant to be a positive opinion and thoughts only thread. Similar to some on Reddit.
    Not possible here though.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah this was a rediculous idea. The Internet has enough echo Chambers thanks.

Nobody would have forced you to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Autochange wrote: »
    It was meant to be a positive opinion and thoughts only thread. Similar to some on Reddit.

On Reddit every practically every dissenting opinion is eithwr downvoted into oblivion by the HODLers and fanboys of each coin or automoderated and deleted.

There is very little meaningful discussion there without wading through a swamp of Lambo, Moon or accusations of FUD on even well rwsearched and cogwnt theses.

Positive opinion and thoughts only, deliberately ignores any contrary view without even hearing it out.
    It runs contrary to the ethos of a discussion site IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Autochange wrote: »

Hmm... I think maybe a different approach to the thread's form might work?

'Shill Me An Altcoin/Shill Me Atari Jaguar' is more likely to have people spouting what they love about such-and-such rather than baseless FUD popping up. Maybe?

If FUD does pop up it's more likely to be based on facts that have come to light, a reasoned critical view of the economics of the coin/token, or situations that have arisen about whatever it is.

Compared to the level of discussion on the good/technical/dev-leaning subreddits or some good Discords the boards discussion is very short-term price-focused with little in the way of back and forth critique either way.

e.g.

"Will it go up?"

"I dunno, it could go down?"

"If it goes down, I'm buying, and then it will go up!"

"I believe it will go up too, so I'll weather this storm and wait for the top and time it perfectly because I'm amazeballs. Then I'll realise that the top wasn't the top, it was the new price-floor and I've just sold low - watch me buy high!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

On Reddit every practically every dissenting opinion is eithwr downvoted into oblivion by the HODLers and fanboys of each coin or automoderated and deleted.

There is very little meaningful discussion there without wading through a swamp of Lambo, Moon or accusations of FUD on even well rwsearched and cogwnt theses.

Positive opinion and thoughts only, deliberately ignores any contrary view without even hearing it out.
    It runs contrary to the ethos of a discussion site IMO.

I agree in the whole however there are a few exceptions. The Stellar sub is excellently moderated and there are some very knowledgeable posters in there with great contributions and discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I agree in the whole however there are a few exceptions. The Stellar sub is excellently moderated and there are some very knowledgeable posters in there with great contributions and discussion.

Its one Sub I've yet to visit, as I've yet to consider buying Stellar but am leaning towards a purchase soon.
    I will take a look at their sub, thanks for the pointer :)

Here's a pretty good article about the future (or lack there of, for Bitcoin) and 3 serious heirs to the crown.

https://hackernoon.com/bitcoin-is-outdated-tech-these-3-alternatives-should-be-on-your-radar-57cf806d34df

It touts Stellar Lumens, RaiBlocks and EOS as they 3 to watch out for.

Its one Sub I've yet to visit, as I've yet to consider buying Stellar but am leaning towards a purchase soon.
    I will take a look at their sub, thanks for the pointer :)

There is huge potential with Stellar. There are a number of ICO's starting to be built on the Stellar network (Mobious ICO is now live). They have connections with IBM and Stripe among others and the FairX exchange could be a (I hate to use the word) game changer if it all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

I like Reddit - I think it's a very useful site. Even subreddits that you would think were at risk due to fanboyism/tribalism such as r/Soccer are decent places.

But I haven't seen a single Crypto subreddit so far that isn't an absolute cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thinking of selling my DBC and going into XRB. DBC just not moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my DBC and going into XRB. DBC just not moving.
    The recovery only happened yesterday. I'm also holding DBC which I bought at 18. Definitely should have cashed out when it hit 65 but that's how it goes.
    I'm not saying what to do but I have coins that have bounced back but nowhere near my buy in price, XRB being one of them.
    I think the volatility we saw up until a few days ago may be over for now as a lot of people are holding and weaker hands have been scared away.

That being said XRB is one to look out for, If I didn't have it I'd certainly be looking to get some but I think the expectations or prices returning to what they were last week within 24hours is a little bit optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dfunk

I like Reddit - I think it's a very useful site. Even subreddits that you would think were at risk due to fanboyism/tribalism such as r/Soccer are decent places.

But I haven't seen a single Crypto subreddit so far that isn't an absolute cesspit.

Generally I'd agree. Most are full of confirmation bias lambo moonboys. However I've found bitcoinmarkets and ethinsider to be pretty good. Some excellent posters in both

VEN soaring this morning. New ATH :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Here's a pretty good article about the future (or lack there of, for Bitcoin) and 3 serious heirs to the crown.

https://hackernoon.com/bitcoin-is-outdated-tech-these-3-alternatives-should-be-on-your-radar-57cf806d34df

Thanks for the link. Picked up some Lumens and EOS on the back of this, not setup with an exchange yet for XRB. EOS up about 20% over the last couple of days and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Tango One

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

RaiBlocks ftw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Tango One wrote:
    TEL added to kucoin and doing quite good.

I've bought into these, what do ye think?

XLM or XRB could be contenders.
    EOS?
    I wouldn't fancy Dan Larimer's odds vs ETH... or even ADA, and that's vapourware at present.
    He's got a bad reputation amongst the people he needs to support his idea - the devs..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

Also bought some Tel on Kucoin this morning looks like a good product another offering for mobile operators

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

noclee wrote: »
    Also bought some Tel on Kucoin this morning looks like a good product another offering for mobile operators

Am I seeing things, or is the volume on Kucoin wrong for this?

1.16Bn :eek::eek::eek:

Investors I'd be careful on this, what looks like the mother of all sell walls ahead.

edit edit,

KuCoin is extremely proud to announce yet another great project coming to our trading platform.

On January 18th , 2018 Telcoin (TEL) join our list of tradable tokens.

KuCoin traders will have access to TEL/BTC and TEL/ ETH trading pairs upon listing.

Users can start trading TEL on KuCoin January 18th , 2018 at 22:00 (UTC +8).

ICO Price 1 TELCOIN = 0.0023 USD (0.0000018165 ETH)

If you have any questions or doubt join our community and ask, we are always online: https://t.me/joinchat/FMqUpg1_vED9MSDJPPcFkg

Telcoin promotion
    Limited Time!

KuCoin Lists Telcoin (TEL)

8 BTC plus $100,000 TEL Giveaway

Competition running from 2018/01/18 22:00:00 to 2018/01/23 23:59:59(UCT+8)

No.1; TEL Trading Competition Win 5 BTC

We will rank traders from 1 to 100 in terms of the total TEL volume traded on your account (includes both buys & sells) during the competition period.

Activity time: 2018/01/18 22:00 – 2018/01/23 23:59 (UTC+8)

Rank Number of users BTC Reward Per User
    #1 1 0.75
    #2 1 0.5
    #3 1 0.25
    #4 1 0.15
    #5 1 0.1
    #6~10 5 0.08
    #11~25 15 0.05
    #26~50 25 0.04
    #51~100 50 0.02
    TOTAL 100 5 BTC

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    XLM or XRB could be contenders.
    EOS?
    I wouldn't fancy Dan Larimer's odds vs ETH... or even ADA, and that's vapourware at present.
    He's got a bad reputation amongst the people he needs to support his idea - the devs..

You might well be right in the medium to long term, that said EOS is showing a 32% gain over the course of the day so I'll give Dan the benefit of the doubt. Was reading a bit about him today, and the issue seems to be whether he'll stay with the project long term. Whatever about delivering the technology promised, EOS certainly seems well funded. I'm guessing the switch between ether based tokens and a native EOS blockchain scheduled in the spring could be the make or break point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'm hoping nobody is buying ALLCHAIN.

it's a scam. If you know anybody buying it tell them get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Good to see ya back man :)

My picks (some of which I had no disposal income the past 2 days to purchase and are now performing very well)...

QSP - audit protocol for smart contracts and we all now the potential of smart contracts in 2018.
    Nice tight market cap and looks a steal at current ~$.55c

WABI - anti-counterfeit RFID labels and systems for consumer products in China and internationally.
    This has massive potential and they've also a partnership with one the biggest online stores in China.
    Currently concentrating on the baby formula market in China and looks promising.
    had less disruption to it's price over the past few days which I have marked down as a positive.
    Current price $3.27 but really going up

NULS - Blockchain infrastructure which some say has the potential of NEO when it comes to growth.
    Still doing my homework and would like others input.
    Current price $5.16 ( hit $3.50 on black Tue)

GTO - decentralised gifting platform with some big players in the Chinese market already on board.
    This could be a flyer imo
    Current price $0.48c

Homework for today...
    LRC -Loopring

Of course a number of these are flying whilst I'm waiting on a SEPA payment to clear for 2 days now :(

Boooooo

smacl wrote: »
    You might well be right in the medium to long term, that said EOS is showing a 32% gain over the course of the day so I'll give Dan the benefit of the doubt. Was reading a bit about him today, and the issue seems to be whether he'll stay with the project long term. Whatever about delivering the technology promised, EOS certainly seems well funded. I'm guessing the switch between ether based tokens and a native EOS blockchain scheduled in the spring could be the make or break point.

If I remember correctly people were tracking his neverending ICO's reserves and found that ETH being sent to his address was working it's way back around to funding the ICO - I'll have to look for those threads again but I highly doubt his ICO just happened to be sending ETH to addresses that were funding his ICO.

Maybe he'll stick with this one but again, devs have no faith in him, track record of dumping projects and, well... Watch an interview or keynote by Vitalik and then watch this guy. :pac:
    Vitalik is consistently a few steps ahead of the questions he's asked whereas Dan is some kind of childman l

Of course a number of these are flying whilst I'm waiting on a SEPA payment to clear for 2 days now :(

Boooooo

And that's why sometimes it's better to take that 4% hit for the card transfer.

grindle wrote: »
    If I remember correctly people were tracking his neverending ICO's reserves and found that ETH being sent to his address was working it's way back around to funding the ICO - I'll have to look for those threads again but I highly doubt his ICO just happened to be sending ETH to addresses that were funding his ICO.

Maybe he'll stick with this one but again, devs have no faith in him, track record of dumping projects and, well... Watch an interview or keynote by Vitalik and then watch this guy. :pac:
    Vitalik is consistently a few steps ahead of the questions he's asked whereas Dan is some kind of childman l

Picked up the eos as a punt along with some xlm and xrb on the back of the article and a few other related ones. Eos is probably overhyped but that's not necessarily bad for its future. The hype has it as an ethereum killer but the tech seems to place it more in the large scale distributed processing arena. Only skimmed the white paper but I'll read it in full when I get a chance. Its a shame that so much comes down to the cultish nature of the main man, one of the reasons i like iota is it seems to have side stepped this nonsense.

VEN soaring this morning. New ATH :)

ATH improved upon today. Currently at $8.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Anyone gone shopping or holding off?

Anyone gone shopping or holding off?

The price per coin is actually starting to get expensive in some cases.
    Iv been hoping to purchase some OMG and am hoping for a bit of a fall.
    I also tried to get in on bee token ico but missed it

• Advertisement

ATH improved upon today. Currently at $8.50.

I can't believe we got the opportunity to buy more at $3.50 only a few days ago :pac:

I will be adding more to my stash at any chance I get once the price dips and remains under $10, but that severe dip (crash?) during the past week was just a gift.

I like the way Vechain is moving (apart from that total market dip) - Slow and steady gains. Hitting the next ATH and then dipping back to establish a new support level to grow from.

The amount of genuine news coming out about them and new partnerships on an almost daily basis is both impressive and promising for the future.

I'm as close to all-in on VEN as I'll allow myself to be on one alt. ICX is my 'hedge'.

Advertisement