Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Im just an Alt coiner. I started back when neo was big so the gains from Alts looked a lot better than Bitcoin!
    Pity my btc value has dropped since.
    Yeah there are plenty of good alts on binance. Im looking at a few there now at the moment that are cheap, poet, bcpt & req. Maybe enjin too. They all have 2-3x potential.
    But for a safe bet I have some ARK and (XLM)lumens. Should have bought more lumens!

EDIT: forgot to mention that Ive a tiny bit of ADA, Im hoping it will drop more before i buy more.

since december 4th enjin has 10'x in price was looking at that one close

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Weiss Ratings cryptocurrency report just came in.

Bitcoin coming in with a “fair” C+ rating, “gets excellent scores for security and widespread adoption,” nonetheless, “it is encountering major network bottlenecks, causing delays and high transactions costs.”

Ethereum, on the other hand, was given a “good” B grade, as “the second most widely adopted cryptocurrency, benefits from more readily upgradable technology and better speed, despite some bottlenecks.”

The only other coins to receive a B- or B rating include Cardano, EOS, Neo, and Steem, while most coins garnered C-, C, or C+ “fair” grades in the same vein as Bitcoin. There were a few poor performers in the group with D ratings, including PotCoin and Matchpool, but none of the 74 rated coins aced Weiss’ initial review as not a single one was given an A for “excellent.”

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Any lucky so and so get in the ICO for zilliqa? Selling for crazy returns at the minute and it's not listed on any of the "major" exchanges yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

soirish wrote: »
    Weiss Ratings cryptocurrency report just came in.

Bitcoin coming in with a “fair” C+ rating, “gets excellent scores for security and widespread adoption,” nonetheless, “it is encountering major network bottlenecks, causing delays and high transactions costs.”

Ethereum, on the other hand, was given a “good” B grade, as “the second most widely adopted cryptocurrency, benefits from more readily upgradable technology and better speed, despite some bottlenecks.”

The only other coins to receive a B- or B rating include Cardano, EOS, Neo, and Steem, while most coins garnered C-, C, or C+ “fair” grades in the same vein as Bitcoin. There were a few poor performers in the group with D ratings, including PotCoin and Matchpool, but none of the 74 rated coins aced Weiss’ initial review as not a single one was given an A for “excellent.”

The weiss report isnt worth the electricity used to display it on my screen (bit of a twist to the paper saying :D )

The clearly did zero research into the products. The fact that they even bothered rating dodge and potcoin at all speaks volumes, nevermind that they gave dodge a C rating which is the same as Ripple. Bitcoin was given C+. I dont think Bitcoin should be higher but the fact that its in the same letter group is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Any lucky so and so get in the ICO for zilliqa? Selling for crazy returns at the minute and it's not listed on any of the "major" exchanges yet

LINK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Pre-sale they were picked up for between $0.003 and $0.004 

https://www.reddit.com/r/zilliqa/comments/7sax1x/the_ico_price_was/

And the are currently selling on ether delta between $0.11 and $0.20 since last night. It goes live on Huobi Pro exchange tomorrow

https://etherdelta.com/#0x05f4a42e251f2d52b8ed15e9fedaacfcef1fad27-ETH

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

grindle wrote: »
    The way this year went might have changed things a bit but buying almost any coin or combo of coins last year would have netted you insane profits, and we're talking well below the top 50 coins.

If on 01-01-17 you'd put €10 into each currency in CMC's top 100 (€1000, modest investment) you'd now have €63.4k

€10 into currencies ranked 101-200?
    €127.56k

I did something similar to this.

I took my mining profits from a weekend and I bought €50 of each coin listed on Coinmarketcap (Coins listed from #51 - 200) on the 15th Jan.

I had to use several different exchanges, and it was a little annoying to keep up with them all.
    Missed several good sell opportunities, but so far making good on the majority. However with recent drops, I decided to wait it out and stop watching them all.

Have them all in an excel doc with a live price update running on them when I open it.

Once I've completed it and cashed out, I'll share the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I did something similar to this.
    Good luck, I really do hope it goes well for you. I like experiments like this but dislike how many of them focus on the top 10 or 20, makes for a pretty boring safe strategy.
    "So, the biggest names in the space, the ones with least risk attached and with the most money tied into them, have all moved X% up or down in tandem with general market movement."
    No shít, the top 20 is most of the cap.

Best not to look during a red market - much bigger dips for lower caps thanks to dumb trading.

During a crazy run like December (wtf am I saying? Like March-December!) they'll be the coins that will need much less volume to push the prices to new levels.

So many factors that make this an interesting project - the last year has obviously overvalued a lot of coins, tons of shítcoins that shouldn't really be near the top 50 let along the top 200, but there are also many projects all the way down to 1000 that are still being worked on but haven't launched a product yet so impatient moontards and panic-sellers have dumped them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Have them set for $6

And vechain goes below 6

and so it begins :(

I posted over on the Bitcoin thread about today being the day that the next batch of Bitcoin Futures expires.

Hold onto your hats Lads and Lassies

*strong hands required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

and so it begins :(

I posted over on the Bitcoin thread about today being the day that the next batch of Bitcoin Futures expires.

Hold onto your hats Lads and Lassies

*strong hands required.

Is this the future of the market now? Every futures close predicts a huge drop...

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is this the future of the market now? Every futures close predicts a huge drop...

Until the market becomes more stable over a sustained period (talking years here) then I would say so.
    Would ultimately mean less instant high gains, but also same can be said about losses.

All this volatility will always attract speculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Until the market becomes more stable over a sustained period (talking years here) then I would say so.
    Would ultimately mean less instant high gains, but also same can be said about losses.

All this volatility will always attract speculators.
    Surely this depends on what way they want the price to go though? All will not be sell offs. After the last contract expired there were thoughts that it would go bull till next big contract was due. Thoughts were this date wouldn't matter as much as it's a much smaller amount of money.
    It either does matter, and we should see by tomorrow if the price recovers, or this contract doesn't matter and it would appear the contacts are not the main reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Blacktie. wrote: »

Once alt coins start decoupling from BTC that trend will end. The more Crypto/Fiat pairings that open up the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just got rid of mine at $9.49.

What price are you buying back in at?

Autochange wrote: »
    Sold mine at 9.42. it's my biggest holding by a country mile. Praying for a correction for the rebuy

Solid work there lads. WP. VEN back at $6.35 now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I took my mining profits from a weekend and I bought €50 of each coin listed on Coinmarketcap (Coins listed from #51 - 200) on the 15th Jan.

€7,500 mining profit over a weekend, now we know who bought all the goddamn GPUs :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Wombatman wrote: »

Fair play to 99 bortles of beer. I on the other hand bought back in at 8.60 as I thought it had bottomed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wombatman wrote: »

Yep got back in at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Radsky

grindle wrote: »
    The way this year went might have changed things a bit but buying almost any coin or combo of coins last year would have netted you insane profits, and we're talking well below the top 50 coins.

If on 01-01-17 you'd put €10 into each currency in CMC's top 100 (€1000, modest investment) you'd now have €63.4k

€10 into currencies ranked 101-200?
    €127.56k

Most of the top 100 coins now were probably not in the top 100 on 01-01-17 so the key is knowing which coins will end up in the top 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Radsky wrote: »
    Most of the top 100 coins now were probably not in the top 100 on 01-01-17 so the key is knowing which coins will end up in the top 100.

Most of the coins numbered 101-200 back then aren't anywhere near the top 100 now either (it's a catastrophic list of shítcoins), there was just that much money pumped in last year.
    Reddcoin was the largest gainer.

To have a place in the top 100 now means the cap is into the hundreds of millions, whereas on the 01-01-17 the cap had to be about $700k.
    These days those $700k coins are ranked down in the 800s... Much wider selection for people to sift through, much less chance of 12700% gains unless lightning strikes twice.
    Maybe it will. Let's all put €10 into each coin from ranked 850-950!
    There's bound to be some poor misfortunes who'll relieve us of our bags in the year to come.

• Advertisement

Yep got back in at 6

That's how it's done. Great stuff.

smacl wrote: »
    €7,500 mining profit over a weekend, now we know who bought all the goddamn GPUs :pac:

I mostly have ASIC miners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Hi all, just wondering how many coins do people hold typically..not how much... just how many different type of coins.. do you think you can have too many or too few coins? I'd say a spread of around 10 is a fairly good approach potentially?

Also do people use paper wallets/hardware wallets or what for all these different alts.. is there one solution that covers them all or do you need various solutions?

Intrigued by the whole blockchain thing. I believe it has the potential to be revolutionary but it needs to be legitimised more and the volatility is off putting for many.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi all, just wondering how many coins do people hold typically..not 9unt... just how many different type of coins.. do you think you can have too many or too few coins? I'd say a spread of around 10 is a fairly good approach potentially?

Also do people use paper wallets/hardware wallets or what for all these different alts.. is there one solution that covers them all or do you need various solutions?

Intrigued by the whole blockchain thing. I believe it has the potential to be revolutionary but it needs to be legitimised more and the volatility is off putting for many.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Personally I use Ledger Nano S to store my long holds.
    Short term holds, I use desktop wallets.

As for number of coins, I have a long hold portfolio of 7 coins.
    Short term, it can vary between 1 and 20 different alt's.

Small project I'm doing at the moment is for 151 alt coins. But that's separate to my short and long term holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

WTC up to almost 43. No unusual increase in volume .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Nice jump for populous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Nice jump for populous

Nice jump alright. They released the preview to the Beta yesterday and a few tweets from (the normally quite) CEO helped.

I can see this hitting $100 in the next month or so.

Beta should be released on Monday

Just looking for a bit of an opinion. I have a couple of alt coins where I have only a small amount of money invested and some where I have a larger holding.

Small.
    Substratum, Request network, Binance Coin, Appc

Larger
    VeChain, Icx

My smaller holdings combined are only a few hundred Euros and im wondering at this point would it be better to just sell them and buy up more of my larger two.
    Basically is it better in the long run to have a decent amount in a couple of coins or to be spread with smaller amounts?

( Im not bothered that people know what I hold)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Just looking for a bit of an opinion. I have a couple of alt coins where I have only a small amount of money invested and some where I have a larger holding.

Small.

Larger
    VeChain, Icx

My smaller holdings combined are only a few hundred Euros and im wondering at this point would it be better to just sell them and buy up more of my larger two.
    Basically is it better in the long run to have a decent amount in a couple of coins or to be spread with smaller amounts?

Noone can really answer that like ina week from now when you look back you'll be able to answer it, IF you only invest in what you feel are solid coins (good projects and partnerships) then you will always come out on top that is if you do your homework really though we can't answer that question none of us know whats going to happen I've no idea about substraum or APPC but the other 4 are good coins, binance coin has an actual use which a lot of these guys dont have yet so it shouldn't ever let you down. we all have different methods which we think work better then everyone else, but u cant really say which is the best untill you look back even then 2 weeks from now the coin that didnt go up in the first week might 3x in the 2nd you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Small.

Larger
    VeChain, Icx

I just sold my REQ & Hive today for a nice little profit.

Advertisement