Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Coin Thread (Vertcoin, OMG, CVC, PAY etc).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This dude tries to install and use iota. The techie stuff is over my head, but he doesn’t have good things to say about it. Seems it can’t be used for iot devices at all..

https://****coin.com/iota-cannot-be-used-for-iot-loss-of-funds-may-occur-e45b1ed9dd6b

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nermal wrote: »
    None of these use-cases justify the overhead of a DAG over a database.

I am genuinely interested if someone can come up with one, but just shouting 'internet of things' and 'bosch' isn't really good enough.

A directed acyclic graph (DAG) isn't actually a complex data structure though, far simpler than most modern databases. All you need is a list of vertices (which I gather correspond to devices), edges that connect those vertices in a given direction and an algorithm that checks that no path across the edges links an given vertex back to itself (i.e. a cycle). Not exactly rocket science. The full TANGLE protocol would no doubt contain a good bit more, but given it is devised to by implemented on IoT devices, I'd expect the implementation to be quite small. From my read of the white paper, the entire DAG doesn't sit on any given device, merely details of the connections a few levels deep. A bit like the way nodes on a neural net are only aware of and communicate with their immediate neighbours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This dude tries to install and use iota. The techie stuff is over my head, but he doesn’t have good things to say about it. Seems it can’t be used for iot devices at all..

https://****coin.com/iota-cannot-be-used-for-iot-loss-of-funds-may-occur-e45b1ed9dd6b

Either that or the reviewer is clueless troll hunting for some click-bait revenue. The bulk of the review seems to be commentary on him talking about trying to use technologies he's unfamiliar with to build apps her doesn't seem to understand while there are pre-compiled versions available for the typical end user. The first comment on the article really says it all.

Oh, and your link doesn't work, should point here

It's okay Johnny, the techie stuff is over his head too.

https://medium.com/@ralf/andreas-brekken-proves-he-has-no-clue-about-the-internet-of-things-823a0b03e0ea

Nermal wrote: »
    None of these use-cases justify the overhead of a DAG over a database.

I am genuinely interested if someone can come up with one, but just shouting 'internet of things' and 'bosch' isn't really good enough.

Who is just shouting 'Bosch' and 'internet of things'? I mentioned Bosch in a post about IOTA, with a hyperlink to an actual news article. I mentioned their progress in Taipei with a link to a news article.

No one is just shouting 'Bosch' and 'internet of things'.

Here is some more news related to Bosch/IOTA today, looking at the use-case for IOTA in self-driving cars...

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3731506,00.html

I'd imagine that with something as instant as real-time traffic information being used in self-driving vehicles, DAG would be preferable here to database or even traditional blockchain.

I can't see anyone in here saying that IOTA is going to rule the world or make millionaires out of small-medium investors. Just that it is a promising project in an industry and market which is full of overvalued vaporware.

Have ye all bought IOTA? I thought this IoT thing was all about having really low power devices spread everywhere - minimal power and computing. Wouldn't be much good for verifying the blockchain if the thing is running on a watch battery.

The lad I linked to earlier has been involved with crypto since 2011 and worked for kraken as an engineer. Very tech savey sort of lad. He just tries out all these coins to see if they say what they do. None of them do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Have ye all bought IOTA? I thought this IoT thing was all about having really low power devices spread everywhere - minimal power and computing. Wouldn't be much good for verifying the blockchain if the thing is running on a watch battery.

It's not like a normal blockchain verifying every tx, it's more localised and the data being sent between devices and considered verified once passed through enough devices then commited to the node's chain is miniscule in comparison to ETH's deluge of contracts.
    They have to figure out a way of pruning fast enough or the nodes will have too much pressure added too quickly considering the scaling problems inherent with micro-txs. It's still a centralised work-in-progress.

If BTC and ETH are considered to be in beta, IOTA is in alpha.

I had a bit but sold most to cover CGT for my other cryptos when it unexpectedly went 5x one day.
    He just tries out all these coins to see if they say what they do. None of them do.

Eh? How is ETH not doing what it's supposed to do? It hasn't beaten it's scaling problems fully yet, but again - BETA.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Tango One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

grindle wrote: »
    He may have misspoken?

If a user donates BAT to your site, you can claim ownership of said BAT if you wish.

Or maybe boards.ie are properly integrating it. Any admin around to confirm?

Simple version.
    Brave browser is a skinned version of Chrome with built in ad blocker.
    You buy ads from Brave and they will appear on websites that sign up to BAT payments, if the browser user has payments turned on they will see some ads on websites that accept BAT payments.(brave gave away 1million last week to start the ball rolling)
    By allowing ads in your browser you will earn BAT. (later this year)
    Go to setting and select payment in Brave browser to see sites that accept BAT ,and choose if you want to give them a % of what you earn each month from using Brave.
    You might be aware Youtube is demonetizing videos that dont follow its PC/SJW world view, well with BAT you can support any website or youtube channel that you like. This will be huge as the backlash to PC/SJW grows, Google and Facebook are infested with people who subscribe to this world view, BAT can circumvent there power of demonetizing.
    BAT also has www.patreon.com in its sights, cuts out the middle man, you can donate to and earn BAT by browsing sites you like.

November 2018 Launch of iPhone 11.
    Tim Cook announces the new Iphone
    "It our best ever Iphone............................................................... and finally i want to tell you about our new version of Safari, it now works with BAT, you will earn BAT by browsing the web, you can then choose to donate BAT to your favorite websites or content creators on Youtube or you can keep it and exchange it for premium content such as a subscription to Apple music or Netflix, to get you started we will include 10 BAT with every iPhone sold this holiday season, we think you are going to love it, Thank you and good night.
    (Tim walks off the stage , looks to the heavens and says "that was for you Steve" and starts laughing).

Next day Google share price drops like a stone and BAT goes to the moon.

Websites that accept BAT(shield on the right of web address bar BRAVE browser)
    https://www.coindesk.com/youtube-brave-browser-earn-bat-tokens/
    boards.ie
    theguardian.com
    coinmarketcap.com
    archive.org
    Over 5000 and growing daily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

....The lad I linked to earlier has been involved with crypto since 2011 and worked for kraken as an engineer.....

Based on past experiences with Kraken, I don't think having worked there as an engineer gives him much "street cred" to be honest.

That said, I'm sure he still knows a lot more about the technology than I do :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bebeman wrote: »
    Simple version.
    Brave browser is a skinned version of Chrome with built in ad blocker.
    You buy ads from Brave and they will appear on websites that sign up to BAT payments, if the browser user has payments turned on they will see some ads on websites that accept BAT payments.(brave gave away 1million last week to start the ball rolling)
    By allowing ads in your browser you will earn BAT. (later this year)
    Go to setting and select payment in Brave browser to see sites that accept BAT ,and choose if you want to give them a % of what you earn each month from using Brave.
    You might be aware Youtube is demonetizing videos that dont follow its PC/SJW world view, well with BAT you can support any website or youtube channel that you like. This will be huge as the backlash to PC/SJW grows, Google and Facebook are infested with people who subscribe to this world view, BAT can circumvent there power of demonetizing.
    BAT also has www.patreon.com in its sights, cuts out the middle man, you can donate to and earn BAT by browsing sites you like.

November 2018 Launch of iPhone 11.
    Tim Cook announces the new Iphone
    "It our best ever Iphone............................................................... and finally i want to tell you about our new version of Safari, it now works with BAT, you will earn BAT by browsing the web, you can then choose to donate BAT to your favorite websites or content creators on Youtube or you can keep it and exchange it for premium content such as a subscription to Apple music or Netflix, to get you started we will include 10 BAT with every iPhone sold this holiday season, we think you are going to love it, Thank you and good night.
    (Tim walks off the stage , looks to the heavens and says "that was for you Steve" and starts laughing).

Next day Google share price drops like a stone and BAT goes to the moon.

Websites that accept BAT(shield on the right of web address bar BRAVE browser)
    https://www.coindesk.com/youtube-brave-browser-earn-bat-tokens/
    boards.ie
    theguardian.com
    coinmarketcap.com
    archive.org
    Over 5000 and growing daily

You are BATsh1t crazy if you think that Apple part would ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

Any opinions on pascal coin.
    Pascal Coin seems to have very strong technology underneath it i.e. deleteable blockchain which makes it infinitely scalable. It could be a case of coin with a lot of unlocked potential.

A disadvantage is that it is difficult to buy PASC as it is only on Poloniex right now. It's also not easy to register on that exchange, and Poloniex has some technical problems from time to time. Apparently, PASC doesn't easily integrate with exchanges which is partly why it is currently on a sole exchange.

However, the coin can be bought through trusted members of their Discord community without needing to rely on Poloniex. PASC's Discord is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

Any thoughts on Jibrel Network (JNT)?

It aims to provide traditional financial assets as tokens on the Eth blockchain. It is planning to offer fast low-fee funds transfers and remittances using its tokens. Early days yet but perhaps some potential.

https://twitter.com/brendaneich/status/894747143449083905?lang=en

https://twitter.com/brian_armstrong/status/847521850980614145?lang=en

Easy 200-300% rise the week it gets listed on coinbase.
    $.37 at the moment, i reckon it will list on coinbase when it breaks $1.

Already working in the real world. 1million free BAT was give away to users of Brave browser last week to raise awareness and it is being used.
    https://twitter.com/crypto_bobby/status/961434431520206848

Simple version.

Great shill, 10/10, would be shilled again.
    I've owned a rake of BAT since the dip it took after the ICO so I know the spiel - I didn't know boards had partnered though, that's fantastic! Good for others to read either way.

www.dominos.ie is now using BAT.
    The decision for this would have been taken by corporate management, this is huge, a billion dollar company is using BAT, sometime in the future i would imagine you will be able to use BAT that you have earned from browsing the web to pay for pizza.
    Simple things like this is what with get Joe Public interested in BAT.

www.dominos.ie is now using BAT.
    The decision for this would have been taken by corporate management, this is huge, a billion dollar company is using BAT, sometime in the future i would imagine you will be able to use BAT that you have earned from browsing the web to pay for pizza.
    Simple things like this is what with get Joe Public interested in BAT.

Are they? :confused:

I see visa checkout, cash, credit card, PayPal on their site.

Are they? :confused:

I see visa checkout, cash, credit card, PayPal on their site.

I doubt it - it seems like he's mistaking users enabling payments to a site with them being pre-approved/on-board.

It'd be great to keep shilling out of this thread. Already bad enough on sites like reddit with everybody trying to get rid of their bags they bought at all time highs without seeing the same ****e here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Aspiring wrote: »
    It'd be great to keep shilling out of this thread. Already bad enough on sites like reddit with everybody trying to get rid of their bags they bought at all time highs without seeing the same ****e here.

The worst is he is shilling what is a solid project that doesn't need these kind of **** posts. If anything they turn people off buying it.

It'd be great to keep shilling out of this thread.

It's the nature of the beast, no? Anybody recommending any project is shilling, it's up to your research if you find it's justified or at a fair price.
    If yes, buy or at least keep on the radar. If no, present counterpoints/question it's validity.
    I don't know how you could avoid shilling in this kind of market tbh, every good idea needs proselytizers to gain ground and the entire space is built on the idea of consensus as to what is or isn't a good idea.
    In the short life of this forum there have already been coins shilled hard enough that they've needed their own threads - some are good, & some are marketing exercises which people have bought into, yet they still get traffic and have a fanbase willing to throw away more money in hopes of some MoonLambo future. Even the crap projects now have enough money to pivot towards being a good project so it might work out for them - crazy world.

• Advertisement

The worst is he is shilling what is a solid project that doesn't need these kind of **** posts. If anything they turn people off buying it.
    Delusions of grandeur, as if the few people who read this section of boards could swing the market, and change the price of ANY coin/token.
    BAT is no where near its all time high,.
    If you dont like money dont buy, stay poor i dont care.
    The level of ignorance on how BAT is implemented is obvious from a few of the replies to what i posted.
    You have a nerve to accuse me of shilling to dump my bags, look at the absolute BS posted here for months about Raiblocks/Nano, it is a POS, always has been, it obvious none of you have done any research on it, look at the months old DDoS problem which has been acknowledged by the DEVELOPERS!
    Yet you still sing its praises, never mind the bitgraill hack, its a POS.
    Have a few more sub $.50 gems that i have been researching since last November, i see no point in posting them here, as you dont want to make money.
    Best of look investing in the year ahead, by the looks of it some here are going to need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Binance are doing a valentines promotion starting tomorrow for the week.
    Basically rewarding large traders of Gifto (GTO).
    I wonder would it be a good idea to buy a few and try benefit from the inevitable pump and dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,037 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

grindle wrote: »
    It's the nature of the beast, no? Anybody recommending any project is shilling, it's up to your research if you find it's justified or at a fair price.
    If yes, buy or at least keep on the radar. If no, present counterpoints/question it's validity.
    I don't know how you could avoid shilling in this kind of market tbh, every good idea needs proselytizers to gain ground and the entire space is built on the idea of consensus as to what is or isn't a good idea.
    In the short life of this forum there have already been coins shilled hard enough that they've needed their own threads - some are good, & some are marketing exercises which people have bought into, yet they still get traffic and have a fanbase willing to throw away more money in hopes of some MoonLambo future. Even the crap projects now have enough money to pivot towards being a good project so it might work out for them - crazy world.

It's in the best interest of anyone who buys a coin to promote that coin. That's because the value of that coin increases if others buy it

I've seen more than a few friends/colleagues go from rational skeptical human beings to full-on shill, cult-members just because they put some money on the line.

"This is going to change everything in the global logistics business!".. but much more important is the change to their bank balance. That's the real driver. How much money we can all make from this gravy train.

Have a few more sub $.50 gems that i have been researching since last November, i see no point in posting them here, as you dont want to make money.
    Best of look investing in the year ahead, by the looks of it some here are going to need it.

The fact that you think the price of a coin has any relevance with regards to how much money there is to be made on it says a lot. Gem or not the price is irrelevant. Market cap would be a better measure to use than price.

I think it's good that people post their picks here, but at the same time there's a difference between talking about the potential of a project, and mindlessly shilling.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I've seen more than a few friends/colleagues go from rational skeptical human beings to full-on shill, cult-members just because they put some money on the line.

"This is going to change everything in the global logistics business!"

"Cattle-tracking will never be the same again!"

Yeah, funny how people get wrapped up.
    BAT is certainly a good project, but it's going to have to work it's way into every sinew of the internet to hit the kind of valuation bebeman dreams of.
    For the moment I'm viewing Brave more as competition to Opera's browser. If Brave and/or any BAT extension they build can grab that kind of market share with ~4% of the internet's eyes the project will be doing exceptionally well and likely the cap will start hitting into the billions through actual use (as well as fantastical speculation) and then Google can start the business of getting worried..

No lie though, if APPL announced full BAT integration I'd cream myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

[quote="bebeman;106116483"
    Best of look investing in the year ahead, by the looks of it some here are going to need it.[/quote]

Post them with a bit of fact behind them. Shilling is one thing but when someone puts up a project they are interested in with some reasoning why it could be a good investment then it's everyones interest to have a read and form an educated opinion.

Nobody ever became successful by knowing nothing.

Disclaimer: in not successful and I know nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Nice return of some low green on some of my few alts. However the grand daddy BTC still in an overall downward trend. Temporary gains or have we hit bottom? Some chart predicting folks claiming a head and shoulders pattern with a continued downtrend while others claiming the bottom has been hit.

Have the Chinese taken a firm stance on the cryptocurrency space?

Anyone have any credible news relating to the tether situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Not expecting much activity from our Chinese friends over the next couple of days.

I've a friend in Shanghai who says its holiday mood already and place is half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Binance are doing a valentines promotion starting tomorrow for the week.
    Basically rewarding large traders of Gifto (GTO).
    I wonder would it be a good idea to buy a few and try benefit from the inevitable pump and dump?

Yup. It's flying up. Wish I'd bought more! Just need to time when to sell now.

Bought in at 30c. Up to 42c now since this morning. Roughly 30%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Do you not think it's too late if your hoping for a quick buck on GTO ?

I'd have thought that those who got in 2-3 days ago have done very well, but am not convinced there's much left in it over the short term now and would actually be watching for some taking profits tbh.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement