Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP - landlord Queries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gampf

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you know if she gave any references?

I didn’t ask as I know her personally 10 years +

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gampf wrote: »
    I didn’t ask as I know her personally 10 years +

Sigh- I hate situations like this- a normal rule of thumb, is don't dirty your own neighbourhood........

Issue the notice of rent arrears and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

OP, if you know this woman 10 years, you must have some trust in her to hand over the keys of your house to?
    What I mean is,she could be hoping and praying her payment comes through, and simply not have the money to afford full market rent until then.
    I would say if you gave her notice, you'd sour any friendship you had with her and her family, you would be seen as making a Woman and Child essentially "homeless at christmas'. I think her problem is most likely fear and embarrassment causing the avoidance, and I think the government is the one at fault here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TresGats wrote: »
    I think the government is the one at fault here.
    She promised she'd pay rent weekly until the HAP came through, and this hasn't happened. She has taken the OP for a fool, and even if the HAP does come through eventually, the OP's down money. You talk about souring a friendship; IMO she doesn't care about the friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gampf

TresGats wrote: »
    OP, if you know this woman 10 years, you must have some trust in her to hand over the keys of your house to?
    What I mean is,she could be hoping and praying her payment comes through, and simply not have the money to afford full market rent until then.
    I would say if you gave her notice, you'd sour any friendship you had with her and her family, you would be seen as making a Woman and Child essentially "homeless at christmas'. I think her problem is most likely fear and embarrassment causing the avoidance, and I think the government is the one at fault here.

I know her by association we live in fairly small town. I left with agency because I wanted to keep it professional reference would have been absolutely useless as she has been self employed and is newly separated so her housing has not been in question. And I know way she runs things is bi polar to my way of doing things. I would have had no grounding to refuse and she asked when House was still occupied so knew no tenants lined up yet.
    She signed temporary contract to pay rent till hap kicked in and I’d reimburse her if over lap.
    Where house is . is sought after and she put extreme pressure on for me to have house ready for her to move in.
    I am not a push over and like her have been a single parent but I never took on what I couldn’t afford and she seems to be trying to wing it.
    I’m an understanding person if she rang office or me and said just don’t have till x time or felt unfair to be asked for money she is ballsy enough to have said.
    I will evict I have commitments too and have made an agreement to pay a mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I would do the same after hearing the extra information. If she is as ballsy as that she would be a world of trouble.
    It sounds fairly stressful for you. I will admit I lean to the left, but the current property market / tax on landlords has me terrified to move to where I want to & let my house in Dublin, in case I encounter a chancer like you unfortunately have. Good luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm really sorry OP- I can imagine the stress you're under.
    Follow the letter of the law- and issue a letter of rent arrears- as a first step on the road to terminating the tenancy.
    It sounds like you tried your best to be as accommodating as possible to the tenant- however, she has taken the biscuit.
    Perhaps her bipolar has been a factor in this, perhaps not- however, that's not entirely relevant- she should be managing her health and not allowing it dictate her dealings with other people.

The root issue here- is the manner in which the government has abdicated provision of social housing to the private sector.

Advertisement