Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we even bother??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Charming. Everyone working hard to improve the public perception of hunting and legal gun ownership, and a couple of toe-rags undo it all for a few measly quid. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Cass wrote: »
    Funny how they claim the NPWS are not responsible for deer management but they claim responsibility for licensing, land checks, returns, etc.

If the land owner/sporting rights owner is responsible then surely they should issue licenses and then the WDAI, NPWS and the deer alliance crowd can all piss off with their hcap, for good.

Talk about passing the buck.

NPWS budget has been drastically cut in the last 10 years and has chronic staff shortages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Understandable,but then why claim they are not responsible for deer management in the state,but still issue lics,sect 42s etc?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Absolute nonsense, literally given a pat on the back by the judge for shooting deer by lamp and out of season with no permit. Well said op why do we bother, I was talking about regulation an bag limits in another thread and this is the reality .

Could be something to do with our post-colonial hangover. A legacy issue where poachers were traditionally hard-done-by working men trying to "put food on the plate" in a Robin Hood fashion whilst the lord of the manor feasts on guinea foul, boar, snipe and rainbow trout.

I'd be very unsurprised if the judge see's things this way. Most of them live in la-la land.

Merry xmas folks, hope 2018 fares well for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

NPWS budget has been drastically cut in the last 10 years and has chronic staff shortages.

I know, i've said it umpteen times over the years, but its no excuse for inaction over the last 40 years or trying to pass the buck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

I know, i've said it umpteen times over the years, but its no excuse for inaction over the last 40 years or trying to pass the buck.

Deer numbers except Red Deer are not a priority. NPWS have far more important species and habitats to attend to.

Deer numbers except Red Deer are not a priority.
    According to you, unless you work for the NPWS and can speak, officially, on their behalf this is only supposition.
    NPWS have far more important species and habitats to attend to.
    I have no information that proves that wrong, but considering the NPWS have pulled rangers from other counties to "police" counties with higher deer poaching, the fact they have joined the unelected representative group known as the deer management forum, and that they are solely and directly responsible for the issuing of licenses and prosecution of illegal hunting of deer means the buck stops with them.

Deer poaching and illegal hunting of deer is the most publicized i have ever heard of. I've either rarely or never heard of the same level of policing/prosecution of poaching of Curlew, Partridge, Geese, Duck, Hare, etc, etc, etc.

So if there are more important species to attend to then why not simply admit they are overburdened, cannot handle their duties, hand over the reins to another, properly elected/appointed, group that can and stop trying to control it via more unnecessary legislation whose only purpose is to try make up for their short comings?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cwhilst the lord of the manor feasts on guinea foul, boar, snipe and rainbow trout.

Dunno would you be doing much feasting on that lot.But you are right about the Guinea Foul[Sic] They are rather "foul" alright.Tough as aul boots,the last one I ate in Hungary.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

According to you, unless you work for the NPWS and can speak, officially, on their behalf this is only supposition.

I have no information that proves that wrong, but considering the NPWS have pulled rangers from other counties to "police" counties with higher deer poaching, the fact they have joined the unelected representative group known as the deer management forum, and that they are solely and directly responsible for the issuing of licenses and prosecution of illegal hunting of deer means the buck stops with them.

Deer poaching and illegal hunting of deer is the most publicized i have ever heard of. I've either rarely or never heard of the same level of policing/prosecution of poaching of Curlew, Partridge, Geese, Duck, Hare, etc, etc, etc.

So if there are more important species to attend to then why not simply admit they are overburdened, cannot handle their duties, hand over the reins to another, properly elected/appointed, group that can and stop trying to control it via more unnecessary legislation whose only purpose is to try make up for their short comings?
    Deer poaching is much less a priorty than conservation efforts on the species you mentioned (curlew, grey partridge, Geese etc).I would agree with you that (if possible) duties could be delegated on deer management, with exception of Kerry Red deer.
    Non-native deer need to be managed so that deer number do not have an effect on habitats such as native forestry. Any groups that would take over management must not keep deer levels at high levels that would cause habitat damage.

Any groups that would take over management must not keep deer levels at high levels that would cause habitat damage.
    A catch-22 situation because i dread the thoughts of one of the vested interests groups getting their hands on deer management and being able to enforce it with any sort of authority.

Just look to the hcap debacle to see where their priorities are.

• Advertisement

A catch-22 situation because i dread the thoughts of one of the vested interests groups getting their hands on deer management and being able to enforce it with any sort of authority.

Just look to the hcap debacle to see where their priorities are.

Who are the "vested interest groups"?

All laid out in this thread.

Anyone else around the country see any of the "go vegan" billboards ? A few have popped up near me in dublin.

If they make Broccoli more fun to hunt than a deer, and cauliflower taste like bacon i'll consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

gunny123 wrote: »
    Anyone else around the country see any of the "go vegan" billboards ? A few have popped up near me in dublin.

Go graffiti and spray

"More stuff for us to shoot!!"

Underneath it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Linky not working? If thats the one with the cooked turkey from Aldi and another go vegan vegan advert showing a live Turkey put up by that stupid go vegan campaign on a rolling electronic billboard - yes it was situated o Gerald Griffith Street in the city afaik.

Daftest thing ever - reckon the vegans delibertly targeted the Aldi cooked turkey advert..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

My Aldi turkey was feckin' lovely :D:D:D

437323.jpg

Kat1170 wrote: »

437323.jpg

Got to be better than the Tesco's ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ayagerard

Kat1170 wrote: »

437323.jpg