Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino Way - Gift Idea

Options
  • 06-12-2017 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post this but I am looking for some gift ideas for someone who is planning on doing the Camino Way next year. They are a new to hiking/ long walks and don't have much gear at all yet.

Would walking sticks or poles be a bit OTT for the Camino?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post this but I am looking for some gift ideas for someone who is planning on doing the Camino Way next year. They are a new to hiking/ long walks and don't have much gear at all yet.

Would walking sticks or poles be a bit OTT for the Camino?

Are they doing the full thing or just the walk from Sarria to Santiago? If just doing the last stretch then a good comfortable pair of runners is more important than poles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A silk sleeping bag liner?

Lovely lightweight bit of kit and very useful for the albergues.

Pricier than cotton but takes up less space in the backpack and weighs next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Personally think poles are OTT but did 4 days of it from Pamplona last month and would say the majority of walkers had poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

loobylou wrote: »
    Personally think poles are OTT but did 4 days of it from Pamplona last month and would say the majority of walkers had poles.

I've noticed that too. I don't bother with them myself (although I use them here in Ireland when hillwalking).

Also factor in that airlines don't allow them in cabin baggage so you have to check them in.
    Plenty of places sell them over there or they're often abandoned in albergues so they can be got easily if they are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Thanks for all the replies. He's just doing a section of it. Think I will go with the liner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

A pillow case, some of the pillows in the albergues are nasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Merino wool baselayer or socks, silk liner is a great idea too!

I like some of the buffs with maps/stamps of the Camino, also available in Great Outdoors

http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear/high-uv-protection-buff/cs-geo-high-uv-pro-buff-1

Advertisement