Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network files only showing as read-only

Options
  • 06-12-2017 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I recently tried to encrypt a folder of personnel files on our work server. It threw up some error in the process so I abandoned the idea. Since then (or so it seems) any file I open from the server is read-only. Local files open as normal and the really weird thing is if I login using a different PC the network files open as normal. This seems to point to some issue with my profile on the PC with the read-only issue but I haven't a notion how to solve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

You may need your IT to help as you will need admin rights to change ownership of files and then grant access to them again.

Right click on file or better folder select Security then select advanced it should show you who the owner is if not you have not the correct access to do so on this network.
    If you can see it then change owner to you if not already then you can grant yourself the permission you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jhud wrote: »
    You may need your IT to help as you will need admin rights to change ownership of files and then grant access to them again.

Right click on file or better folder select Security then select advanced it should show you who the owner is if not you have not the correct access to do so on this network.
    If you can see it then change owner to you if not already then you can grant yourself the permission you need.

Might be an HelpDesk call alright. I can get into permissions and try to add myself but it won't let me. Even if I try and drag a file into any folder on the network I get a permission warning dialog.

Advertisement