Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Shoe Lifetime

Options
  • 06-12-2017 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Just looking for peoples thoughts on how long pair of shoes should last.

I have a pair of Sketchers Go Golf which I wear on parkland around once a week March to October, and on links during the wet months. There are no scuff marks on the sketchers at all, and they're over 2 years old.

I got a pair of Footjoy SL's in April/May for links during the summer, played once a week in them, always in dry conditions, and a hole has appeared on the right toe. This is a replacement pair from FJ, as the previous pair developed holes in both toes. The shoes are a perfect fit, 1/2 inch room at the front as recommended by FJ.

Is 7 months of play, once a week, acceptable for a pair of shoes that cost €165?

I returned them today to the well known shop (won't name them), and they insist FJ's warranty for the original pair is now out of date, even though they were faulty and were replaced. They say the original warranty timeframe is continued on the replacements, which to me makes no sense at all.

I understand I have consumer statutory rights, but before going down that road, I just wanted to get some opinions on what people consider fair use, and to ascertain if a pair of shoes which only last 6/7 months, wearing once a week, could be considered fit for purpose.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

6 / 7 months is a joke especially if you only wear them 30 times or so.

I have had nike lunars for 3 years and also a pair of the new lunar controls for 6 months and they are still in full working order!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Absolutely not.

If it was a low budget no name shoe you might expect this but not from a premium range/brand.

My addidas 360s are still perfect after two years if a bit grubby.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Hoboo wrote: »
    This is a replacement pair from FJ, as the previous pair developed holes in both toes.

2 years leak free is good going but depends on the cost of the shoe.

I had this issue with American Golf where I brought back a pair of shoes after 18 months (the shoes had a 2 year guarantee) and I was given a new pair but I was told I only had 6 months left not the warranty. I wasn't given a new receipt.

The shop's thinking is that if they give you full warranty on the replacement shoes, a customer could be back every year looking for free replacement shoes.

Im not sure what consumer rights are for something like shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

All golf shoe company's warranty state ur warranty starts on day of first purchase.
    Footjoy no different to any others on that.
    Find it hard to believe both shoes faulty
    Imo they are either too big but in most cases or fj wide fit shoes are too wide for customers and shoes start to crack

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I returned 5 pairs of premium golf shoes over the last 12 months.... 1 pair of Adidas lasted 1 round before ripping. My previous pair of Adidas 360 lasted me 4 years without any issues. I felt embarrassed bringing the shoes back each time but felt that I had a genuine case and the shop considered the same. They came up with the same excuse at the end that the next replacement was without warranty. I have had no issues since.

FJ recommend having 2 pairs of golf shoes and rotating the same should mean that they last longer than 2 pairs on their own....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Bottle wrote: »

FJ recommend having 2 pairs of golf shoes and rotating the same should mean that they last longer than 2 pairs on their own....

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Or buy 3 pairs and don't wear any of them - last a lifetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

What is the warranty on a pair of golf shoes? I paid £160 for a pair of ECCO at the end of March. Spike came out during a round and the receptor is bent so can't get a new spike in. Shoes are pretty much useless now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Or buy 3 pairs and don't wear any of them - last a lifetime

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    What is the warranty on a pair of golf shoes? I paid £160 for a pair of ECCO at the end of March. Spike came out during a round and the receptor is bent so can't get a new spike in. Shoes are pretty much useless now

FJ one is just a Waterproof Warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

FJ shoes I had in the past were the worst shoes I have ever owned. I may be soured on a poor fit, but I will never buy FJ again. I have 2 pairs of Adidas Adicross which I have had for several years, only now one has worn out.

I will demo Sketchers on my next purchase due to the amazing pair of everyday shoes I have from them next purchase. But they will have to beat the Adicross in my demo.

Again, FJ were the worst shoes I have ever owned, still a mystery to me how they have such a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jaybeemaestro

My last two pairs were Skechers. I won a pair and they were so good I bought another pair in the Pro Shop when the old ones wore out, which were kinda my fault the way I wasn't undoing laces and kicking them off. Got a year out of those and still on the second pair. Had Adidas before that and they were ok. Have heard very good things about the Adiboost. Will probably go for Skechers again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've three pairs in the boot and rotate, have them all 3yrs now and only one of them leaking and that was the cheapest Nike Heritage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Again, FJ were the worst shoes I have ever owned, still a mystery to me how they have such a big name.

Get the name of an early riser and you can lie to dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Pity the warranty can't carry over so an initial purchase of shoes could mean I have new shoes for rest of my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I currently have 4 pairs of footjoys, 2 adidas and 2 Nike. all water proof.... all good. you want shoes to keep good,
    Clean them and keep them dry, dont leave them in the boot of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

neckedit wrote: »
    I currently have 4 pairs of footjoys, 2 adidas and 2 Nike. all water proof.... all good. you want shoes to keep good,
    +1

I have two pairs of FJ and one Nike. The Nike are five years old and starting to leak a bit, so I just use them for practice. The FJs are one for summer one for winter and the older pair are three years old now and still perfect.

Don't leave them in the car, clean them after every use and treat them with Dubbin after they are played in the wet. The trick with Dubbin is to warm the shoes with a hairdryer and rub in the Dubbin. Keeps the leather supple and waterproof.

Also take the cleats out and clean them or replace if needed regularly. You'd be surprised how much dirt gets into them and their sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

prawnsambo wrote: »
    neckedit wrote: »
    +1

I have two pairs of FJ and one Nike. The Nike are five years old and starting to leak a bit, so I just use them for practice. The FJs are one for summer one for winter and the older pair are three years old now and still perfect.

Don't leave them in the car, clean them after every use and treat them with Dubbin after they are played in the wet. The trick with Dubbin is to warm the shoes with a hairdryer and rub in the Dubbin. Keeps the leather supple and waterproof.

Also take the cleats out and clean them or replace if needed regularly. You'd be surprised how much dirt gets into them and their sockets.

Fair play I reckon. I promise I'll do the above every time I get new shoes; happens first few weeks and then I stop. Envy that kind of dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Used to be Ecco but the latest styles are horrible. Used to get 3/4 years out of those.

Have had €160 Sketchers for past 2 years. They have just had a break in the seal on the side of my foot - noticed when I was cleaning with the air gun. Play 30 odd times a year so I do not consider this good at all. Unfortunately I binned the receipt before the 2 years were up and then hey presto just got the hole / failure - annoyed!

plumber77 wrote: »
    Fair play I reckon. I promise I'll do the above every time I get new shoes; happens first few weeks and then I stop. Envy that kind of dedication.
    Funny, but it's far easier to clean them if you start that way. Dubbin tends to reject water and mud so you can clean them easily with a damp cloth. Most clubs have an air line which is great for getting the bulk of the muck and grass off and then you just bring them indoors and leave for a day or so before cleaning them properly when they're fully dry.

Once you apply the dubbin, leave them for an hour or so and then buff them with a soft cloth. If your shoes have been a long time since they last got some TLC, it just takes a bit longer to clean them, but they're not a lost cause by any means. They might take a couple of coats of dubbin, but there's no doubt in my mind that it really makes the shoes waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

wheres a good place to get dubbin?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Any decent shoe shop should have it.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Pity the warranty can't carry over so an initial purchase of shoes could mean I have new shoes for rest of my life :D

And this is the reason/problem. I know you are only saying it in jest but a friend of mine who is a pro said he routinely had people coming back to him year after year after 10/11 months saying their shoes were letting in and looking for a new pair.

He now has to keep a record of the initial purchase to cover the initial warranty. Some people have no shame.

benny79 wrote: »
    wheres a good place to get dubbin?
    You should be able to get it in Tesco, that's where I've got it in the past. Punch make it in a 50ml tin. I'd advise getting a couple as it's a small enough tin.

Usually the bigger Tesco stores. Things have changed over the years and shoe polish and shoe care seem to have gone by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Instead of starting a new thread myself, what would people advise as best golf shoes to get? Considering time of year, waterproof ones are necessary, looked at Dryjoys but the footjoy reviews now have me wary

Mushy wrote: »
    Instead of starting a new thread myself, what would people advise as best golf shoes to get? Considering time of year, waterproof ones are necessary, looked at Dryjoys but the footjoy reviews now have me wary

Skechers. 2 yr warranty can't fault them

golfguy1 wrote: »

Are they all waterproof?

Are they all waterproof?

Are they all waterproof?

Yes all skechers go golf pro shoes are waterproof with 2 yr warranty

• Advertisement

Are they all waterproof?

Advertisement