Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to an F1 2018

• 06-12-2017 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

So it's been a few years since I was at an F1. I'm thinking of Austria or Hungary, and will be flying over and camping. If done this at Spain and it's a great job with montmelo so close.
    So I'm wondering if either of the above are similar.
    Need town within walking distance and campsite. Has anyone ever done either before?
    Belgium is also a runner but heard your ate alive by midgits and it's in the middle of nowhere.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've been to Montmelo myself, and to be honest I'm seriously thinking about going again - it's indeed an enjoyable experience with a major city being so close and the track itself being within walking distance of a train station. I stayed in Barcelona centre and "commuted" to the track via train; Best of both worlds really - day at the track, evening in town combining the race weekend with a city break.

Even after the race, with the huge crowds getting on the consists, everything went quite smoothly and I was back in the city before evening. Most other tracks (well, except the city ones - but they tend to be very expensive) tend to be in the middle of nowhere and needing a trek to be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

I have been to the Austrian GP in 1999, but now with Red Bull in charge you will find a very good experience with loads of extra entertainment offside. 99 wasn't bad either
    Camping is in walking distance to the track, next town with shops is 5km away. Smaller shops are close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

From what I remember being at the Austrian GP when it first came back in 2014. I think there is camping pretty close to the track like right beside the entrance, for the likes of camper vans and stuff just can't remember if there was any tents most likely there was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

From what I remember being at the Austrian GP when it first came back in 2014. I think there is camping pretty close to the track like right beside the entrance, for the likes of camper vans and stuff just can't remember if there was any tents most likely there was.

There's camping close to the track but other than that accomadation is quite difficult to find. Most of it is at a distance from the circuit and if you're in hotels you're usually looking at a 45 min journey at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

frostie500 wrote: »
    There's camping close to the track but other than that accomadation is quite difficult to find. Most of it is at a distance from the circuit and if you're in hotels you're usually looking at a 45 min journey at least

That's true, but within an hour by train you find a lot of accommodation in Graz. You go by train to knittelfeld and from there by free shuttle bus to the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I've been to Montmelo myself, and to be honest I'm seriously thinking about going again - it's indeed an enjoyable experience with a major city being so close and the track itself being within walking distance of a train station. I stayed in Barcelona centre and "commuted" to the track via train; Best of both worlds really - day at the track, evening in town combining the race weekend with a city break.

Even after the race, with the huge crowds getting on the consists, everything went quite smoothly and I was back in the city before evening. Most other tracks (well, except the city ones - but they tend to be very expensive) tend to be in the middle of nowhere and needing a trek to be reached.

We went out in montmelo itself. Main street was flooded with F1 fans the couple of nights. Ended up spending one of the evenings with a German dude we met working at one of the f1 stalls that day and a random Russian guy. Two gents who just tagged along :D the other nights we just partied in the campsite. english family invited us to join them one night and filled us with drink. As chat flowed we found out the guy works for my uncle in england. Had a good laugh. Such a surreal weekend.
    But my daughter's communion is the week after Spanish gp this year so it's a no go. Would love to find somewhere similar to go to. Camp near track and shops and pubs nearby as I won't have a car. Basically, Montmelo in a different country lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

frostie500 wrote: »

slightly off topic but how much do you recon you could do the motogp weekend for frostie?

Grim. wrote: »
    slightly off topic but how much do you recon you could do the motogp weekend for frostie?

Not sure on moto gp grim but I did the f1 in circuit de catalunya for this...
    Return flights to Barca 100e
    GA Thurs to sun ticket 120e
    Camping free (you pay if you have a car or campervan)
    Everything else is spending money, taxis etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Grim. wrote: »

My average cost for a European weekend (Flight with a hold bag, hotels, cars and food) usually works out at €500 but I'll typically share with one of the lads to split the hotel cost. Austria is a bit dearer because it's in August this year but because it's back to back with Brno that cuts down on costs if you were to do both.
    You can fly into a lot of airports that are about two to three hours away from either track. Personally, I'd recommend Brno as one of the best weekends of the year. It's in a nice town with a lovely brewery in the square that the whole paddock ends up eating and drinking at. In 2012 one of my mates who went on to work in the paddock was there as a fan and met Marquez and got his pics taken with him. That's one of the things that makes Brno special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Went to Hungary in 2014 - it was great fun, tickets were pretty cheap (109 for Bronze Grandstand for the weekend), food & drink were extremely cheap, Budapest isn't far and the weather was generally warm and sunny (except for the red weather warning just before lights out)! Got the full card of GP2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup, Lewis went on fire, started in the pits and came back to 3rd, Danny Ric won. Spent a few days in Budapest afterwards, highly recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I haven't been to a race since 2014, would love to head back to silverstone this year but I can't see that happening now. I'll settle for WEC again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pseudonymised

Has anyone been to pre season testing? How have you found it if you have? I’ve never been, never even been to a race. But I’m off work and flights are cheap so I’m thinking of going for the second last day, hoping there will be some good runs.

OSI wrote: »
    Didn't have any issues with midges myself, but it was roasting hot when we went so might not be ideal if you have young kids. The track is basically an extension of the Francorchamps village so there's a good few bars and restaurants within walking distance of the main entrance. There's also countless campsites around the track that all run their own shuttle buses down to the track and many have their own "corner shop" and bar. The track itself though is quite limited in terms of amenities and being in the hills getting around the circuit is a literal hike.

Ok so wheels in motion to go to Spa.
    I can't find any good sites for booking the campsites or even info on them.
    Anyone have any good sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Ok so wheels in motion to go to Spa.
    I can't find any good sites for booking the campsites or even info on them.
    Anyone have any good sites?

I booked with on this site I think. Looks like the website was designed by a two year old but the campsite was fine and near a lively and cheap little pub/cafe

http://www.the-elephant.com

christy c wrote: »
    I booked with on this site I think. Looks like the website was designed by a two year old but the campsite was fine and near a lively and cheap little pub/cafe

http://www.the-elephant.com

Great Thanks,
    Is there any shops nearby?

Great Thanks,
    Is there any shops nearby?

Just stick to my diet of beer and toasted sandwiches and you'll be fine :)

Just stick to my diet of beer and toasted sandwiches and you'll be fine :)

I will do :D just think of a few night caps back at the tent ;)

Just pretend you're a die hard Max Verstappen fan and the visiting Dutch will throw enough beer at you to hospitalise a village.

That's true. 99% of people I've met at races have been dead sound. When I was in Belgium 2 English lads offered me a lift back to the airport as they drove and I used public transport

That's true. 99% of people I've met at races have been dead sound. When I was in Belgium 2 English lads offered me a lift back to the airport as they drove and I used public transport

They English guy in the camper next to our tent used to charge our phone for us in the evening time in catalunya:D

They English guy in the camper next to our tent used to charge our phone for us in the evening time in catalunya:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Hi all not sure if this is allowed,mods please delete if not. Im going to the Austrian gp, one of the party has pulled out so i have an extra ticket. Its a general admission weekend pass. Im looking for face value 95. Pm if interested.Thanks in advance Ollie. :)

I'm heading to Belgium, staying at the elephant

The one that happened last week? :confused:
    No its the one on the weekend of 10th 11th and 12th at the red bull ring:)

OllieNorth wrote: »
    No its the one on the weekend of 10th 11th and 12th at the red bull ring:)

That's moto gp your talking about?

That's moto gp your talking about?

Thats right the only real racing left.:D

OllieNorth wrote: »
    Thats right the only real racing left.:D

That's where the confusion started. It's a f1 thread.
    I disagree with your opinion as I'm more a road racing visitor :D
    You probably have done but You might get better views posting it in the moto gp thread.

My tickets have been delivered by bookf1.com exactly as expected. Great service in fairness. But I bulk ordered on my account this time and seemed to get less than usual. No lanyard or ticket holder, just all 5 tickets. A minor complaint I suppose. Camping ticket printed and local traffic pass.
    14 days to go :D
    Anyone else going to Spa?

Advertisement