Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got offer on adverts.ie, accepted it and agreed to meet, having doubts.

Options
  • 06-12-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Sorry if wrong place to ask but:

Long story short - I was selling a computer part on Adverts, I got an asking offer and I accepted it. Guy gave me address and phone number and agreed on date to meet.
    (I am delivering it as it needs to be tested)

Upon viewing his profile - he's been member on adverts since 2014 but has 0 comments, 0 sales, 0 withdraws, its' a fresh account but it's been registered in 2014.

Upon checking his phone number - it links to few posts on boards and one business site/club but both are from 2013-2014.

I am having really shady feeling of going there, the area is around Castlenock.
    Any suggestions how to deal with this?

I don't have any friends who would be willing to come along on a sale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

bedlam wrote: »
    Ask to meet in a public place or if possible a bank so you can lodge the money when you get it.

The item needs to be tested on a computer though to make sure it works, so wanting to deliver is reasonable and he said he will have setup ready for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't see why you're apprehensive, everyone has to start somewhere and it's probably just his first time buying on adverts hence no feedback.

Just make sure someone knows where you're going.

January wrote: »
    I don't see why you're apprehensive, everyone has to start somewhere and it's probably just his first time buying on adverts hence no feedback.

Just make sure someone knows where you're going.

It's just the fact that account was created in 2014 and no comments/offers been made since then and out of sudden they go for an item that 99% of general public wouldn't be interested/know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is thete an internet 'shop' in the area where you could test it but with others around?
    Theres no harm in being cautious. Might be fine but being careful is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Are you meeting them at their house? If not then just say you don't want to meet in a car park etc.

If I was going to rip someone off I wouldn't be bringing them anywhere near my house.

Bring someone with you if possible.

You can always say no... based on their profile.

• Advertisement

Are you meeting them at their house? If not then just say you don't want to meet in a car park etc.

If I was going to rip someone off I wouldn't be bringing them anywhere near my house.

Bring someone with you if possible.

You can always say no... based on their profile.

I have address, according to google maps - it's an estate with houses and I have house number too.
    Surely item is only 170 Euro, so I am sure if someone was to rob/scam someone - they would choose something a bit more expensive to be delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You're over thinking it, just go and do the deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

If he is checking you out as well as you are checking him, he is reading this about now.
    hows the 1080 card working? 970 was a good card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Do you like basements?

Mech1 wrote: »
    If he is checking you out as well as you are checking him, he is reading this about now.
    hows the 1080 card working? 970 was a good card.

I don't mind tbh, 1080 works great.
    970 is good and many would ask why would I upgrade and I can easily explain it.

I've heard **** stories before so it makes me a bit cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

arleitiss wrote:
    It's just the fact that account was created in 2014 and no comments/offers been made since then and out of sudden they go for an item that 99% of general public wouldn't be interested/know what it is.

I'd be more worried about an account that was setup that day.

Sounds it isn't a scam anyway. Zero feedback might mean a timewaster and there are plenty of those on adverts

dubrov wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about an account that was setup that day.

Sounds it isn't a scam anyway. Zero feedback might mean a timewaster and there are plenty of those on adverts

I will give him a ring during a day on lunch to confirm anyway, and will proceed based on that.

Thanks to everyone's posts - it makes me doubt that anyone would really setup scam/robbery deal for a mere 170 euro anyway so I've calmed down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Closed at op request - Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement