Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperation advice required please.

• 06-12-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. I need advice regarding my separation. I have recently split with my partner and our 2 children. There are some complications we purchased a house but was in her name but i paid half of everything. Obviously with Irish law she gets everything so i'm out on my ear. I had to apply for a mortgage and lucky enough i managed to get a house so hopefully i can take the children wed to Friday and every other Saturday. I have yet to move in but i done the maths and after i pay all my overheads i'm left with 50 euro a week. She i looking 160 maintenance which i just don't have. She works and i work. She will have a mortgage and so will i. I earn more than her but my overheads are greater and she is financially better off. Does anyone know the best course of action. Id do anything for my kids. i can work my ass off to pay her at the expense of give up time with my children. She's already got the house so i don't see why she has to get so much maintenance; if the children are with me half the week. I certainly don't mind splitting clothes and school and what ever they need within reason as long as shes not going over board. But i just don't have it. I'm trying to get back on my feet and start a new life. So i can provide a home for the children to stay with me. Help please?? we didn't marry, and were together 8 years, living together 6/7. Am i being unreasonable? i just need 6-8 months to get organised then revisits
    an agreement, i still have to try to furnish the house as i have left all behind me. I don't wish to go after the property as this will really tear everything apart and the children will suffer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't think it's a state benefits issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

AGonn wrote: »
    What do i put it under?

I believe there is a separation and divorce forum might be worth pm to a mod asking ,
    You might get better advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

AGonn wrote: »
    Hi all. I need advice regarding my seperation. I have recently split with my partner and our 2 children. There are some complications we purchased a house but was in her name but i paid half of everything. Obvioisly with Irish law she gets everything so im out on my ear. I had to apply for a mortgage and lucky enough i managed to get a house so hopefully i can take the children wed to friday and every other saturday. I have yet to move in but i done the maths and after i pay all my overheads im left with 50 euro a week. She i looking 160 maintenance which i just dont have. She works and i work. She will have a mortgage and so will i. I earn more than her but my overheads are greater and she is financally better off. Does anyone know the best couse of action. Id do anything for my kids i can work my ass off to pay her at the expense of give up time with my children. Shes already got the house so i dont see why she has to get so much maintenance if the children are with me half the week. I certainly dont mind spliting clothes and school and what ever they need within reason as long as shes not going over board. But i just dont have it. Im trying to get back on my feet and start a new life. So i can provide a home for the children to stay with me. Help please??

The bold bit is not true for a start. If you were not married do you have guardianship of the children?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your ex does not automatically get everything. See if she will go to mediation with you

If you share joint custody I can't see how she can ask for maintenance either

We're you married and if not how long were you together?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were you married?

If not, how long are you together?

Is your plan to share custody 50/50?

Would she be open to going to mediation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Let her take you to court. Keep receipts for all and every expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Thread moved from State Benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged together. Sorry if it looks a bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AGonn

She is putting guardianship through, We were not married and we were together 8 years, living together 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AGonn

Not married, together 8 years, living together 6/7 years, Im not after anything other than a bit of space to get up on my feet, 6 weeks ago i was in my house with children and all that goes with it, I had a job change, moved in with my parents, got a mortgage, went from putting my children to bed every night and telling them a story to out on my ear, and having one on a Friday and one on a Saturday night. Just feeling like this is very one sided and somewhat unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You need to talk to a solicitor. I know there is legislation around rights and entitlements as a cohabiting couple so you might be entitled to something on the basis you were contributing to the mortgage.

After that you need to sort guardianship of your children. Then you can look at access/custody and maintenance.

Advertisement