Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco cant sell gift cards since Monday

Options
  • 06-12-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

A huge company like Tesco have had an IT prob since Monday in that they cannot sell gift cards, their own nor third party ones.

All kept very quiet, some staff know of it but don’t know when it’ll be fixed and others don’t even know of the problem

Anyone experiencing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

vicwatson wrote: »
    A huge company like Tesco have had an IT prob since Monday in that they cannot sell gift cards, their own nor third party ones.

All kept very quiet, some staff know of it but don’t know when it’ll be fixed and others don’t even know of the problem

Anyone experiencing this?

A huge company still has technical issues. Gift cards are usually sold through terminals and it’s probably an problem with the issuer. Front line staff prob have no idea when it’ll be fixed because there isn’t a definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Zhane wrote: »
    A huge company still has technical issues. Gift cards are usually sold through terminals and it’s probably an problem with the issuer. Front line staff prob have no idea when it’ll be fixed because there isn’t a definite answer.

You work for Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

You work for Tesco?

Nope, but I worked in retail for 15 years so I have an understanding of how it works.

The problem might be even outside Tesco’s control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Zhane wrote: »
    Nope, but I worked in retail for 15 years so I have an understanding of how it works.

The problem might be even outside Tesco’s control.

Yeh just thought a co as big as tesco would be pulling all the stops out yet half the staff don’t even know the problem, they haven’t even put notices up in store to make customers aware.

I know for fact it was a customer that made them aware of the problem in the first place.

Bust time for gift cards in Tesco I’d imagine, big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

iTunes gift cards appeared on racks in Tesco stores a few years ago, now there are racks containing vouchers from all sorts of bricks and mortar and online stores - you can even buy Debenhams vouchers in Tesco stores these days. A lot of the larger stores now have racks of these gift vouchers on sale. Clearly the actual vouchers on display are worthless unless they are activated when you pay for them.

So the likelihood is that there is a third party company involved and by the sound of it, there seems to be a problem with their IT systems. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yeh just thought a co as big as tesco would be pulling all the stops out yet half the staff don’t even know the problem, they haven’t even put notices up in store to make customers aware.

If you put a sign up, then all customers will know of the issue, if no sign up, then only customers whom actually try to buy one know there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I bought an Argos gift card in Tesco yesterday, also got a receipt showing that it was activated.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

When I'm getting something in Argos or TK Maxx, I buy gift cards in Tesco to avail of the 150 Clubcard points per €50.

The gift cards are obviously tied in to the various third party retailers' systems and behave differently - for instance TK Maxx cards can be used as soon as you buy them but Argos cards take a day or so to become usable.

So I'm guessing it's quite a complex system that Tesco has outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

The wife bought a €50 tesco voucher on Wednesday for our schools Christmas hamper, there was no issue.
    Is it just an issue with one tesco store?

Advertisement