Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc - help with spec

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am terrible with technology so I am reliant on your help.
    My hubby is a big gamer (ps4) he is forever talking about wanting a pc for gaming.
    My budget is €200 so I am going down the refurb route on eBay. So for my money I can get:
    Dell-hp
    1tb 8gb ram
    I go nvidia gt710
    Windows 10

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/263014305379

Is this worth getting?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Simply not worth getting, will be many times slower than his PS4.

I'd say going in on a joint investment might be the best thing in this case, tell him you'll pay 50% or €200 or whatever you can invest.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/842

If you send him here with his final budget some of the lads can post a full list of parts for him to build himself, or else help select a well priced prebuilt.

I'd say about €500-600 would be the minimum budget to look at, if he's looking for a long time investment then maybe €800-1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Simply not worth getting, will be many times slower than his PS4.

I'd say going in on a joint investment might be the best thing in this case, tell him you'll pay 50% or €200 or whatever you can invest.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/842

If you send him here with his final budget some of the lads can post a full list of parts for him to build himself, or else help select a well priced prebuilt.

I'd say about €500-600 would be the minimum budget to look at, if he's looking for a long time investment then maybe €800-1200

Thanks Digital Solitude.

I have no idea what to get him for Christmas I always try to get something thoughtful.....thanks for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It can be done for about €300 2nd hand, and if you can stretch the budget we can help you pick out a suitable system for that price on adverts or Ebay.

Be warned that all 2nd hand PC's at €300 are not equal - some will play the latest games at similar levels to the PS4, others wouldn't have a hope of running the latest games even at low settings.

But no way at €200 unfortunately. The one you're looking at isn't even worth that, it would barely play solitaire. People who advertise those as 'gaming PCs' should be publicly flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

littelady wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am terrible with technology so I am reliant on your help.
    My hubby is a big gamer (ps4) he is forever talking about wanting a pc for gaming.
    My budget is €200 so I am going down the refurb route on eBay. So for my money I can get:
    Dell-hp
    1tb 8gb ram
    I go nvidia gt710
    Windows 10

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/263014305379

Is this worth getting?
    Thanks in advance.
    Not an advanced gamer myself, but from link provided not even clear what you'll get Dell? .... HP? What is model number? This is SFF(Small Form Factor) with limited expansion ability. HDD, even 1TB is most likely used one and @ end of the life = unreliable even for storage.
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo

Ram 8GB DDR2 NEW

gotta be kidding. It probably do OK'ish some office tasks, internet browsing

I understand budget restrains, but no....no,no,no,no......NO!!! Not gaming PC.

Sorry cant advise what to go for, but don't go for €200 "Gaming PC" fiasco. Better think of something else.

Thanks you guys. I am going to get him a set of astro A50s headset instead. Thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement

Remember us if he does decide to make the leap someday!

A50s are a lovely shout by the way

I will of course remember you when we buyou the gaming pc.

Do you know where's the best place to buy the astros online the best price is for xbox I need ps4.

I will of course remember you when we buyou the gaming pc.

Do you know where's the best place to buy the astros online the best price is for xbox I need ps4.

Zavvi.co.uk has them for £180 but I'm not sure if that's the Xbox ones, I'm surprised there's a difference tbh

Cheapest I can see from a quick search is amazon for the PS4 ones, at £250

Zavvi.co.uk has them for £180 but I'm not sure if that's the Xbox ones, I'm surprised there's a difference tbh

Cheapest I can see from a quick search is amazon for the PS4 ones, at £250

Zavvi and argos are all xbox for the 180 mark. Thanks for searching I'm not winning ahhh

Zavvi and argos are all xbox for the 180 mark. Thanks for searching I'm not winning ahhh

OK the astros are way to expens I've any alternative come to mind? Thanks so much for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement