Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump/US to recognise Jerusalem as Isreal's capital

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RobertKK wrote: »
    Muslims upset...is it due to the Palestinians or due to their third holiest site being recognised as being in the capital of Israel?
    Christians don't seem to care...

It doesn't help the peace process which seems non existent.

I think it's unfair to say that Christians don't care. This decision has been openly criticised by Christian leaders throughout the world. As for the peace process, it was in tatters long before this change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

RobertKK wrote: »
    Muslims upset...is it due to the Palestinians or due to their third holiest site being recognised as being in the capital of Israel?
    Christians don't seem to care...

It doesn't help the peace process which seems non existent.

Lol sure look at all the hipster Irish republicans on Irish forums like this hating on the Jews and Israel. It’s delightful to see how Triggered the likes of EOTR and Nodin amongst others get when the big bad Jews are mentioned! Maybe if the Palestinians didn’t vote in terrorist Islamic organisations progress could be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, the fact is he did something he said he would do. That is what his voters will care about.

And he will get criticised for it and likewise for the consequences of his actions. Trump is basically a person who tends to do things that he doesn't fully understand or simply doesn't care what negative impact they'll have. A good leader tends to be pragmatic. He will never be celebrated as a good leader and looks likely to become infamous for corruption. And for simply destroying America's reputation on the world stage.

Also one more note, some of his key campaign promises including clearing the swamp and replacing Obamacare. So far he appears to have been in the swamp from day one and he won't be getting rid of Obamacare. He doesn't even seem to have had an idea what he would replace it with. 😂 Plus his tax plan will negatively impact the rust belt which account for a fair amount of his voters. The midterms will be very interesting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

Has anyone ever asked the question of why the Jewish people have been persecuted for the last 2000 years? At different times in history most every country, race and creed on earth has suffered persecution from some other group, but the Jews seem to have suffered it from every group, forever. If I end up in a bar fight with a different person every night I go out, the penny should eventually drop "Are all these different fellas being dicks or am I maybe doing something to contribute to it".
    Since Israel clearly identifies itself as a Jewish state, surely most Jewish people can see that the current actions of the state of Israel are doing untold damage to the reputation of Jews worldwide. The worldwide support that Israel enjoyed during the 50's,60's and 70's for being the plucky little state surrounded by all the big bullies has completely changed to the point were they are now the bullies with only AIPAC in the States keeping it from being a pariah state. As many prominet Jewish scholars have pointed out, Israel will end up consuming itself if it continues down it's current path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Odhinn wrote: »
    Odd - at the start of that I thought you were referring to Likud. Just for your own information, its the Israelis that are occupying the Palestinians, not the other way around.

My post was not about who is occupying who but rather in respect of the actions by Jordan, Egypt, Turkey etc. which are far from encouraging a peaceful resolution. Please just take a step back and try to objectively view the aggressive words used by the senior politicians in these countries and it becomes obvious that there is simply no room for reason or common sense; they have a hatred to Israel which runs deep. Why? jews in the Holy Land and they are muslim countries. It is a hatred founded in religion; do you believe in religion being the determining factor as to whom should lay claim to land as their nation?

I await the oh his right wing comments but Paul Joseph Watson sums the situation up nicely here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Lol sure look at all the hipster Irish republicans on Irish forums like this hating on the Jews
    It’s delightful to see how Triggered the likes of EOTR and Nodin amongst others get when the big bad Jews are mentioned!

nope. you're judging others by your own standards of hating all muslims rather then the extreme element i'm afraid.
    the reality is most of us can put religion asside and criticise a state for it's actions. the fact israel is a jewish state means jot ultimately. it does however use that fact to get a special status in relation to commiting crimes against humanity that no other state or leader would get.

Maybe if the Palestinians didn’t vote in terrorist Islamic organisations progress could be made!

no . whoever the palestinians would vote in would make no difference.
    those who came before hamas were not as extreme but israel still continued to expand, stealing territory illegally and carying out ethnic cleansing.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I await the oh his right wing comments but Paul Joseph Watson sums the situation up nicely here

Alas, I have little time for Infowars and Co. The same outlet who claim fema death camps are a thing and that 911 was an inside job... Watson doesn't tend to offer any intelligent insights and far from a credible commentator..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Alas, I have little time for Infowars and Co. The same outlet who claim fema death camps are a thing and that 911 was an inside job... Watson doesn't tend to offer any intelligent insights and far from a credible commentator..

What was in the video that was wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Also one more note, some of his key campaign promises including clearing the swamp and replacing Obamacare. So far he appears to have been in the swamp from day one and he won't be getting rid of Obamacare. He doesn't even seem to have had an idea what he would replace it with. �� Plus his tax plan will negatively impact the rust belt which account for a fair amount of his voters. The midterms will be very interesting...

I'd highly doubt he even aquainted himself with the ins and out of the Obama healthcare reforms. Trump is petty and his whole modus operandi is about "getting even"
    The Republican party wanted to sink Obamacare because their philosophy for society is a Darwinian, survival of the fittest/richest situation. The state has as little responsibilty as possible to it's citizens.
    Trump just hated the black guy who became president and made a holy show of him at a White House dinner.
    It's hard to believe, but it's that simple.
    Noel82 wrote: »

Only difference between the previous presidents and Trump? They got into office and found out the realities of campaign promises didn't line up with the ideals. Trump just doesn't give a fúck and/or is going to use this for easy political gains or as a distraction.
    He is the kind of person who would burn down a hospital full of sick children, if the hospital had a document which incriminated him in some way. I'm not even joking.

What was in the video that was wrong?

Alas there isn’t anything wrong in video, Paul might be part of infowars but he isn’t like the rest on there he makes sure that he can back up what he says in his videos with facts.

Alas there isn’t anything wrong in video, Paul might be part of infowars but he isn’t like the rest on there he makes sure that he can back up what he says in his videos with facts.

It amounts to a rant on those awful Muslims. Except the international community has entirely condemned the move. The legality of Israel even occupying the land is questionable.

On top of that he only a handful of words from Obama's speech on Israel.

"The Palestinians need a state that is contiguous and cohesive, and that allows them to prosper — but any agreement with the Palestinian people must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with secure, recognised and defensible borders."

Trump's way of doing is to entirely ignore the Palestinians and the importance of Jerusalem to them. So Obama's remarks are far more nuanced than Trump's. He recognised the complexity of it. Trump is incapable of it. Israel Palestine isn't an overnight fix.

So nope, Infowars arse within 30 seconds manages to misrepresent to which his fans will praise him. You don't write for Infowars if you're a credible journalist btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

My post was not about who is occupying who ..............

It should have been. You might familiarise yourself with the brutalities of occupation.

http://www.btselem.org/routine_founded_on_violence

http://www.btselem.org/topic/settlements

http://www.btselem.org/topic/accountability
    Alas there isn’t anything wrong in video,

It's the usual anti-muslim ranting by some randomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

In a nutshell, nothing was going anywhere anyway, just a stalemate of continual violence.

In a bad situation, the only thing worse than something happening is nothing happening. Just bring it to a boil already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It amounts to a rant on those awful Muslims. Except the international community has entirely condemned the move. The legality of Israel even occupying the land is questionable.

On top of that he only a handful of words from Obama's speech on Israel.

"The Palestinians need a state that is contiguous and cohesive, and that allows them to prosper — but any agreement with the Palestinian people must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with secure, recognised and defensible borders."

Trump's way of doing is to entirely ignore the Palestinians and the importance of Jerusalem to them. So Obama's remarks are far more nuanced than Trump's. He recognised the complexity of it. Trump is incapable of it. Israel Palestine isn't an overnight fix.

So nope, Infowars arse within 30 seconds manages to misrepresent to which his fans will praise him. You don't write for Infowars if you're a credible journalist btw.

Then Obama gave Israel $38,000,000,000 worth of weapons to murder and terrorise Palestinians.

do you believe in religion being the determining factor as to whom should lay claim to land as their nation?

Alot of Israelis do, so whats your point?

Ballstein wrote: »
    Has anyone ever asked the question of why the Jewish people have been persecuted for the last 2000 years? At different times in history most every country, race and creed on earth has suffered persecution from some other group, but the Jews seem to have suffered it from every group, forever. If I end up in a bar fight with a different person every night I go out, the penny should eventually drop "Are all these different fellas being dicks or am I maybe doing something to contribute to it".

Well, they were persecuted for the best part of 2000 years in Christian Europe obviously because the Bible identifies them as being responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus.

What did you think was the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Explain further really interested in your theory?

Explain further really interested in your theory?

No theory, just interested in what other people’s views are. Given that there is between 16 & 18 million Jews in the world, how would you explain their influence in the USA. You wouldn’t get the Senate to vote 90-0 in favour of finding a cure for childhood cancer yet they voted 90-0 for Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Now before you fire the anti semite scud in my direction, could you explain how such a tiny minority of the worlds population have such huge influence.

• Advertisement

No theory, just interested in what other people’s views are. Given that there is between 16 & 18 million Jews in the world, how would you explain their influence in the USA. You wouldn’t get the Senate to vote 90-0 in favour of finding a cure for childhood cancer yet they voted 90-0 for Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Now before you fire the anti semite scud in my direction, could you explain how such a tiny minority of the worlds population have such huge influence.

No I was interested in your theory of why they have been persecuted for 2000 years?

No I was interested in your theory of why they have been persecuted for 2000 years?

I don’t know to be honest, but if I was a Jewish person living in London, Sydney or anywhere else for that matter, I wouldn’t be thanking Israel for their current public relations drive. I understand that a large part of the Jewish diaspora view Israel as a lifeboat in case of another holocaust and centuries of persecution has no doubt left a deep mark in their psyche. I don’t see how colonising and persecuting the Palestinians will make their chances of not needing that lifeboat less likely

I don’t know to be honest, but if I was a Jewish person living in London, Sydney or anywhere else for that matter, I wouldn’t be thanking Israel for their current public relations drive. I understand that a large part of the Jewish diaspora view Israel as a lifeboat in case of another holocaust and centuries of persecution has no doubt left a deep mark in their psyche. I don’t see how colonising and persecuting the Palestinians will make their chances of not needing that lifeboat less likely

No trying to be awkward but I asked you twice what you meant by your post and you keep talking about something else :)

"Has anyone ever asked the question of why the Jewish people have been persecuted for the last 2000 years? At different times in history most every country, race and creed on earth has suffered persecution from some other group, but the Jews seem to have suffered it from every group, forever. If I end up in a bar fight with a different person every night I go out, the penny should eventually drop "Are all these different fellas being dicks or am I maybe doing something to contribute to it". "

Genuinely interested in how you think they brought this persecution on themselves.

No trying to be awkward but I asked you twice what you meant by your post and you keep talking about something else :)

"Has anyone ever asked the question of why the Jewish people have been persecuted for the last 2000 years? At different times in history most every country, race and creed on earth has suffered persecution from some other group, but the Jews seem to have suffered it from every group, forever. If I end up in a bar fight with a different person every night I go out, the penny should eventually drop "Are all these different fellas being dicks or am I maybe doing something to contribute to it". "

Genuinely interested in how you think they brought this persecution on themselves.

Never said they brought the persecution on themselves, just asked have their actions ever contributed towards it. No one here ever bats an eyelid when it's pointed out that a high proportion of travelers and Roma gypsies are involved in criminality thus contributing towards their discrimination. Why is it okay to question every race and creed on earth about their actions but the Jewish people are exempt.
    I notice you continue to ignore my question as to how 1.7% to 2.5% of the US population can get the Senate to agree 90-0 in favour of something the whole world disagrees with? I don't believe in secret groups, lizard people of any other rubbish like that, but I do find it truly amazing that 0.2% of the worlds population has such influence and power. Do you never wonder about that, honestly.

Never said they brought the persecution on themselves, just asked have their actions ever contributed towards it.

But we are both asking the same question. You said they were persecuted for 2000 years and implied that they drew it on themselves. When challenged you just refer to Israel. What do you attribute the previous 1950 years of persecution to? I've given you an answer, what do you think? Are you dropping the inference that it was their fault? If not, stand over it and give your reasoning.

But we are both asking the same question. You said they were persecuted for 2000 years and implied that they drew it on themselves. When challenged you just refer to Israel. What do you attribute the previous 1950 years of persecution to? I've given you an answer, what do you think? Are you dropping the inference that it was their fault? If not, stand over it and give your reasoning.
    I agree with you, the religious aspect probably was the major factor. Their involvement in finance from early times due to the usury in Christianity was also a factor I believe, no one like bankers after all. Do you have any view on their current level of global influence?

I agree with you, the religious aspect probably was the major factor. Their involvement in finance from early times due to the usury in Christianity was also a factor I believe, no one like bankers after all. Do you have any view on their current level of global influence?

Possibly because Christianity and Islam prohibited usuary, or lending with an interest rate, whereas Judaism allowed it. Of course nowadays we all recognise and accept it as very normal practice. So can we agree that their persecution and their historical influence in banking was due to the ridiculous beliefs of those who persecuted them?

Possibly because Christianity and Islam prohibited usuary, or lending with an interest rate, whereas Judaism allowed it. Of course nowadays we all recognise and accept it as very normal practice. So can we agree that their persecution and their historical influence in banking was due to the ridiculous beliefs of those who persecuted them?

Indeed we can. Would you agree that their actions in the last 30 years in particular regarding Israel have done untold damage to the Jewish people world wide. Do you feel that their historical influence in banking and finance has given them an inordinate amount of influence globally and in the US in particular. I would have the same issue with Chad, Senegal, Cambodia or any other group representing 0.2% of the world having that amount of influence.

Indeed we can.

So we can agree this post was ridiculous?

Indeed we can. Would you agree that their actions in the last 30 years in particular regarding Israel have done untold damage to the Jewish people world wide. Do you feel that their historical influence in banking and finance has given them an inordinate amount of influence globally and in the US in particular. I would have the same issue with Chad, Senegal, Cambodia or any other group representing 0.2% of the world having that amount of influence.

So for clarification, are you are abandoning your own point about 2000 years of persecution and focussing on the last 0.015% of it?

• Advertisement

No we can’t. It was a reasonable question and I agreed with a poster that their historical involvement with finance was most likely the reason, something they did indeed contribute to. Can I ask you for the 3rd time now and please stop avoiding the question, the current disproportionate global influence exerted by the Jewish people, explain please.

So for clarification, are you are abandoning your own point about 2000 years of persecution and focussing on the last 0.015% of it?

Similar question, are you going to continue to focus on the historical persecution and ignore the current global influence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

That's a really good post. Sums it up for me.

They've become experts at playing the victim and the USA are the ideal big brother to back them up.

And if the US hadn't backed them up continually then their "poor us" facade wouldn't have got them so far.
    They know what they're doing.

They're the little bully in the school yard protected by the bigger bully.

No we can’t. It was a reasonable question and I agreed with a poster that their historical involvement with finance was most likely the reason, something they did indeed contribute to. Can I ask you for the 3rd time now and please stop avoiding the question, the current disproportionate global influence exerted by the Jewish people, explain please.

They brought persecution on themselves in your opinion because they were involved in finance?

Why do you think the Jewish community worked so heavily in finance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Revelation 13:5

The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise its authority for forty-two months.

They brought persecution on themselves in your opinion because they were involved in finance?

Your obviously being obtuse. If you fail to see how the second part of my original post is not connected to the first then I’ll spell it out for you. If I’m wondering why a tiny group of people have such a disproportionate influence on global politics and that point has been agreed by every poster in this group, both pro and anti Israel, then surely you can see why people would be suspicious of them. So you can see why I have continually asked you and other posters to explain the power of the Jewish lobby today and I can see why you have continually avoided answering it.

No you just seem to have trouble justifying your posts or else you're confused.

Why does working in finance in ancient times mean they contributed to their persecution?

"I agreed with a poster that their historical involvement with finance was most likely the reason, something they did indeed contribute to."

Similar question, are you going to continue to focus on the historical persecution and ignore the current global influence?

No no no no.

You don't slide out of it that easily. You made the whole "well, they were persecuted for 2000 years, maybe they did something to deserve it" point. You are now grabbing for the lifeline of "current global influence" as a saving point. Never mind current, it was you who invoked 2000 years, have the courage to stand over it or keep trying to slither away spinelessly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

can I ask why you think its a disproportionate influence?
    Perhaps its your own narrow mindedness and you are in the minority
    perhaps most rational people believe Israel should have its original capitol back like it was before the romans renamed it Palestine (a little like ulster before the English invaded)

And yes before you try to swing the argument I do believe the native Indians in the us should have there land back and Australia should be grateful to the aborigines they are a great and wise people we could all learn a lot from them.
    The reality is through history Palestinians are the settlers on ancient Israeli land, it was only through a modern rebirth called Zionism that that land was populated.
    that land was farmed by Jews long before the arab towns were there.
    if those colonisist Romans weren't around none of this would be happening

but I guess reality is too hard to swallow while wearing the Arafat scarf to college.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

...__... wrote: »
    perhaps most rational people believe Israel should have its original capitol back like it was before the romans renamed it Palestine (a little like ulster before the English invaded)

And yes before you try to swing the argument I do believe the native Indians in the us should have there land back and Australia should be grateful to the aborigines they are a great and wise people we could all learn a lot from them.
    The reality is through history Palestinians are the settlers on ancient Israeli land, it was only through a modern rebirth called Zionism that that land was populated.

but I guess reality is too hard to swallow while wearing the Arafat scarf to college.

I don't think any rational person has ever suggested we should undo 2000 years of history to put things back the way they were. Why not go back another few thousand years to when it was Canaan or whatever.

So you are arguing for the right of return of Jews to Palestine after 2000 years based on a book of random writings, but you are against the right of return of the Palestinian's to homes and land they hold the deeds to and the keys for the front door that were stolen in the last 50 years.

The reality is through history Palestinians are the settlers on ancient Israeli land, it was only through a modern rebirth called Zionism that that land was populated. that land was farmed by Jews long before the arab towns were there.

Kahanist nonsense.
    "Jews break down into three genetic groups, all of which have Middle Eastern origins – which are shared with the Palestinians and Druze."
    read more: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/science/1.681385

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2000/10/jews-and-arabs-share-recent-ancestry

Palestinians and Jews share ancestry, and a good many Palestinians are of jewish descent, whose predecessors converted to Islam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It should be given back to Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

“Now, I don’t know about you, but when I heard about Jerusalem — where the King of Kings where our soon coming King is coming back to Jerusalem, it is because President Trump declared Jerusalem to be capital of Israel,”

They genuinely believe that this will bring about Armageddon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the palestinians are not setlers on israley land, given that the state of israel only came to be in 1948. both jews and muslims lived side by side for thousands of years. only those who have lived on that land natively have a claim to it whether jew or muslim. the so-called israelies who are mostly americans and europeans who have gone there in recent decades have no claim.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Just in

Today, during operational activity in Hebron, an IDF commander took fruit from a Palestinian's stand. The IDF does not condone this behavior. The incident was investigated and the commander was suspended from duty and punished
    https://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/status/939560344602775552

cisk wrote: »
    Just in

Today, during operational activity in Hebron, an IDF commander took fruit from a Palestinian's stand. The IDF does not condone this behavior. The incident was investigated and the commander was suspended from duty and punished
    https://twitter.com/IDFSpokesperson/status/939560344602775552

If they do that for a fruit, they'll have to lock up the whole state for the rest (not that I suspect a genuine change of tune)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Breaking News: The Palestinians have just recognized Washington DC as the capital of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Waaaas deese thred doing in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Donald Trump, to the dismay of the world, announces that the US is to not only relocate the American embassy to Jerusalem but to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Even the village idiot, Bush, wasn't that thick and out of touch.

BUT, I suppose we should remember a quote from Trump:

"I just start kissing them....I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. you can do anything."

So this is a guy that some on here defend. He is also one who some would think is qualified to make a decision that is currently yielding violence and death in the Middle East.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement