Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can she do?

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was driving down the street and someone pulled out of a carpark and my friend drove into the back of their car and caused a lot of damage to their own vehicle but very little to the other drivers. She stopped and spoke to the other driver and then the other driver drove away! She has reported it to the gardai and gave the reg. The other driver is never home when the gardai call. Its like they have disappeared. Who will pay for her repairs??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Was the other driver leaving a car park space or exiting a car park on to a main road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

testicles wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

It could be that the other car reversed out of a space in to the path of the OP's friend, hence the impact to the rear of the other vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No she was driving down the street and he pulled out of his parking space in front of her and she didn't brake in time

lukesmom wrote: »
    No she was driving down the street and he pulled out of his parking space in front of her and she didn't brake in time

If the car exited the car park and joined the road successfully and was then rear ended, it would appear that your friend is liable

The part about leaving the scene and the possible reasons why they did that are a matter for the Gardai and don't affect liability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If i were your friend, I'd want to keep quiet about something like that. Hopefully her insurance covers the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Time is relevant.

If the other car simply pulled out suddenly with no reasonable warning he has failed to yield right of way to OP's friend who was in possession and he has also created an emergency.

The fact that you hit the rear of the car in front usually creates a presumption of fault. However, all of the evidence needs to be considered.

In OP's friend's position I would accept no responsibility for this. Another fine instance in which a dash-cam would be of great help.

Advertisement