Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to? (Europe)

Options
  • 06-12-2017 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

Open to a change of location and thinking Europe.

Started looking for jobs.
    With a bit of effort should find an English speaking job in most locations.

Any suggestions?
    Mid-30s -female- will be going alone
    Independent
    Very social

Been thinking Netherlands, Italy or Spain.
    I might try narrow the search and focus on one place but looking for some help- with pros and cons.

Or will I get sensible, stay put, get a mortgage...
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Italy and Spain would have more in common than the Netherlands. Plus the weather can vary a lot in Italy and Spain depending on where you want to go.
    I was in Rome years ago, but would go to a smaller city if you wanted to go to Italy. Bologna, Perugia or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Most Dutch people speak English, not necessarily the same level of English in Italy or Spain. Do you speak either of the local languages, or plan to learn? Also salaries much lower. But worst case scenario is that you come back, so good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Where depends on why you're going - do you want to go down a certain career path, want a better quality of life (e.g. good services), want better weather etc. It sounds like you just want out (not wanting the normal growing up task of a mortgage etc.?) - maybe being more focused on what you want after getting out would help the decision.

Different work situations in most of Spain / Italy compared to Netherlands, and also for weather in Winter...(not that Spain and Italy can't get cold - having lived in Spain and done a lot of work in Milan...they can get pretty cold alright!)

Something to bear in mind is whether the culture is accommodating of independent women. Where I am (Helsinki) the gender balance & opportunities are very strong for women, but friends in Frankfurt for example had a different experience. By contrast, it can be difficult for non Finns to get a job here...

And to note, from my experience, most large cities have big ex-pat networks you can tap into, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Switzerland? There are many English speakers here in Basel

• Registered Users Posts: 40 breadhead

Thanks all- some good considerations and suggestions there.

Yes, theres definitely an element of escaping the routine here for awhile because its an available option for me. I know thats not reason enough so shall consider a broader reasoning in my decision.
    Would like to go somewhere with a good social scene, where there could be an element of integration with locals and/or ex pats. I don't have the languages and would aim to learn what I could as I go along.

Switzerland is one to consider too, with plenty of jobs in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

breadhead wrote: »
    Thanks all- some good considerations and suggestions there.

Yes, theres definitely an element of escaping the routine here for awhile because its an available option for me. I know thats not reason enough so shall consider a broader reasoning in my decision.
    Would like to go somewhere with a good social scene, where there could be an element of integration with locals and/or ex pats. I don't have the languages and would aim to learn what I could as I go along.

Switzerland is one to consider too, with plenty of jobs in my area.

Amsterdam or Dusseldorf are good spots, both have Airports with direct flights to Ireland too.

Locals with good english can be a curse as much as a blessing as it's nearly impossible to learn the local language if everyone speaks English.

From my experience, if you really wanted to, in Italy, you could build up a reasonable level of Italian in about a year. Conversational for sure. That might stand to you then for jobs. So you could start trying to get a TEFL job.

Thanks. Oh decisions.

Already had interview with Italian company and now have one with Portuguese company in too. Wouldn’t be doing Tefl as I’ll get work in my field easy enough. Conversational Italian would be great- I’m not too bad at languages- or ones I’ve tried before.

Think I’ll weigh up and take a leap if/when I get a good offer. Cheers

Thanks. Oh decisions.

Already had interview with Italian company and now have one with Portuguese company in too. Wouldn’t be doing Tefl as I’ll get work in my field easy enough. Conversational Italian would be great- I’m not too bad at languages- or ones I’ve tried before.

Think I’ll weigh up and take a leap if/when I get a good offer. Cheers

Out of curiosity, how did you go about applying for Italian company?
    I've been curiosly applying via Linkedin, but never get replies. Most likely they see I'm in Ireland and delete the mail.
    I'd always be open to going back there.

I applied to company from a job I saw on jobsinrome.com

• Advertisement

I applied to company from a job I saw on jobsinrome.com

Ay yeah, I know that one, but I haven't been on it in a while but will check it out!

Advertisement