Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinking about upgrades...

Options
  • 07-12-2017 12:43am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all, thinking about upgrades and I might have a bitta cash soon. So I'm a little out of the loop about the latest batch of processors and matching motherboards. I'm happy to hear arguments for either CPU team. I want to stick with an nVidia card though cause I have a G-Sync monitor and a Shield TV.

1. What is your budget? €800 ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Garmez.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have an SSD with my os and some other mechanical drives. I have a new 700W PSU on a shelf too. I can also reuse my current case (Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 ATX). Currently using a 970 graphics card but might go full pervert and upgrade that too. I would like another SSD for game installation though (Total War Warhammer takes 5 minutes to load a map and I can't stomach playing it as a result).

5. Do you need a monitor? Nope.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nope.

7. Are you willing to try overlooking? Yes.

8. How can you pay? Debit card / PayPal.

9. When are you purchasing? Hopefully this side of Christmas, but I'm not in any rush and will wait for January bargains that might show up.

Many thanks folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

'Full Pervert'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a Ryzen 5-1600 and a decent motherboard (check the Ryzen thread).

RAM & SSD prices are still horrible though.
    Got a 750Gb SSD last year for €100, this year I paid €67 for a 240!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks for the heads up, reading through some of the Ryzen news seems like the Red team has done a great job with it, always good to see. Is there much difference between the 1600 and the 1600X? Is it like the older "K" tag on an Intel i series chip? Looks like a B350 chipset will do the job for me - tried multi GPU setup before and it was a pain in the hole (and not a single game I bought supported it at launch).

Fecking Bitcoin has the price of things ruined and it's sucking down so much energy the planet will be bolloxed too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shiminay wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, reading through some of the Ryzen news seems like the Red team has done a great job with it, always good to see. Is there much difference between the 1600 and the 1600X? Is it like the older "K" tag on an Intel i series chip? Looks like a B350 chipset will do the job for me - tried multi GPU setup before and it was a pain in the hole (and not a single game I bought supported it at launch).

Fecking Bitcoin has the price of things ruined and it's sucking down so much energy the planet will be bolloxed too :(

The X model is better if left stock but you can overclock all Ryzen sku's so just overclock the 1600 and it will run the same as the 1600X.

Advertisement