Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony: We Cannot Ignore The Nintendo Switch

Options
  • 07-12-2017 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭

How does Sony plan on dealing with the Switch?

https://gamingbolt.com/sony-we-cannot-ignore-the-nintendo-switch

He doesn't really give a lot away, like how they're going to combat Nintendo but it is an admission from them that the Switch is a threat to them big time, especially in Japan. The Switch there has passed 2.5 million in sales after the numbers from yesterday's Media Create figures. I think the Wii U managed just over 3 million over its lifetime.

Edit: The Wii U's lifetime sales in Japan are 3.32 million.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    How does Sony plan on dealing with the Switch?

https://gamingbolt.com/sony-we-cannot-ignore-the-nintendo-switch

He doesn't really give a lot away, like how they're going to combat Nintendo but it is an admission from them that the Switch is a threat to them big time, especially in Japan. The Switch there has passed 2.5 million in sales after the numbers from yesterday's Media Create figures. I think the Wii U managed just over 3 million over its lifetime.

Edit: The Wii U's lifetime sales in Japan are 3.32 million.

Seeing as they have no portable in the market anymore, wouldn't it make even more sense and a lot more money if they released Sony properties to the Switch??
    Certainly, they could target releases that aren't aimed at the PS4/Pro and push them onto the Nintendo format.
    Could be a real money spinner for them, if they had the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Seeing as they have no portable in the market anymore, wouldn't it make even more sense and a lot more money if they released Sony properties to the Switch??
    Certainly, they could target releases that aren't aimed at the PS4/Pro and push them onto the Nintendo format.
    Could be a real money spinner for them, if they had the bottle.

oh-how-the-tables-have-turned_o_gifsoupcom.gif?w=780

I see what you've done there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Oooh the Vita back catalogue available on the Switch.... Maybe... maybe even Persona 4 (The greatest RPG ever made)????

/flustered/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Gravity Rush 3 on the Switch!? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Let's start the rumour now!

edit:

Will Never Happen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I wouldn't say no to some kind of PS4 switch console, but I imagine apart from the cost, it'd be pretty impossible to create right now. And I wouldn't buy another pure portable from Sony after what they did to the vita.

But PS3 standard titles are perfectly possible on the Switch, and with it that massive catalogue of titles on the system.
    If you can get Doom onto the Switch, no reason you couldn't see Bloodborne either.

Still won't happen :(

I imagine we could get either remote play or access to PlayStation Now. Either would be easy for Sony to do if they had the inclination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I can see the names if they do make something similar to the Switch.

Sony Swap
    Sony Swindle
    Sony Shift
    Sony Steal

Maybe add a hat to make it look a bit different.

sligeach wrote: »
    I can see the names if they do make something similar to the Switch.

Sony Swap
    Sony Swindle
    Sony Shift
    Sony Steal

Maybe add a hat to make it look a bit different.

Sounds like a Mario Odyssey tie-in fo-sho!
    Maybe an Amiibo too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well whatever they do I'm sure they won't launch it with a proprietary memory card that's hugely overpriced and cripples their digital plans from launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Sony discussion extracted from News and Releases thread.

Well whatever they do I'm sure they won't launch it with a proprietary memory card that's hugely overpriced and cripples their digital plans from launch.

And they also won't abandon the 1st party support before the thing even comes out and then drop it completely when their fancy new home console comes out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Seeing as they have no portable in the market anymore,.

*cough* vita *cough*

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

*cough* vita *cough*

:pac:

The console for terrible romantic VN lovers.

I'm actually hoping this puts a fire under the arse of Sony. So far they are just coasting with the PS4. Why try harder when you are number 1. All they have to do is not be as awful as Microsoft.

It's left the PS4 as pretty much as one of the worst consoles I've owned.... well other than the CDi, and I own a virtual boy. It's got very little in the way of worthwhile exclusives. In less than a year the Nintendo Switch has come along and become a far better prospect than the PS4. Hopefully it means Sony will start funding more and less safe exclusives for the system. The PS3 was terrible as well but it's last few years redeemed it and then some.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The console for terrible romantic VN lovers.

I'm actually hoping this puts a fire under the arse of Sony. So far they are just coasting with the PS4. Why try harder when you are number 1. All they have to do is not be as awful as Microsoft.

It's left the PS4 as pretty much as one of the worst consoles I've owned.... well other than the CDi, and I own a virtual boy. It's got very little in the way of worthwhile exclusives. In less than a year the Nintendo Switch has come along and become a far better prospect than the PS4. Hopefully it means Sony will start funding more and less safe exclusives for the system. The PS3 was terrible as well but it's last few years redeemed it and then some.

Hey the CDi was worth it for The 7th Guest and Burn Cycle alone!

fixxxer wrote: »
    Hey the CDi was worth it for The 7th Guest and Burn Cycle alone!

Jaysus, the CDi was the worst console ever.
    There's more fun to be had with one of those Amstrad things, or even an Xbox One!

Jaysus, the CDi was the worst console ever.
    There's more fun to be had with one of those Amstrad things, or even an Xbox One!

It also had the most unique Zelda game until Breath of the Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If sony wants to battle switch, then they are between hard place and a rock.

Sony consumers used to powerful console, so theu cant just down grade and offer switch type device as main lineup. That will be giving xbox one monopoly too.
    They cant make a separate handheld, because with switch we are getting used to idea of proper full console games in a form of hadheld.

So I dont know how will sony battle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sony should stay in their lane. The Switch has shown them and MS that high powered triple A glitz and glamour isn't everything.

That's a great thing.

Gaming during this gen, while prettier, has barely moved in terms of ingenuity (obvious handful of titles aside).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Suppose a vita 2 could Dock and be played on the TV fairly easy. If they could get the inners of a ps4 in a switch size device and play all the ps4 games they could be on to a winner. I'd buy it!

iamtony wrote: »
    Suppose a vita 2 could Dock and be played on the TV fairly easy. If they could get the inners of a ps4 in a switch size device and play all the ps4 games they could be on to a winner. I'd buy it!

Cost and the size of the battery required make this pretty unlikely. With the PS4 Pro they're heading more graphically demanding, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Who makes the video chipset in the PS4/Pro?
    Just that there's the next chip up from nVidia which is optimised for mobile but more powerful than the switch (X2? K2? A letter, then a 2) - so you could have a mobile platform that your PS4pro can stream to, that can throw it's output to an app running on a Sony TV (and allow it on a Chromecast or something like that) and have a PS4 controller that splits in half and sticks to the sides of 1024p bezeless screen...?

The gas thing is, Sony just don't make games for portable formats, just look at the lack of interest in the Vita outside of the niche products in the last two years.
    I mean, all things being equal Sony should be just able to repeat the work that makes owning a PS3/4 essential, but it just doesn't stick.
    And the Vita wasn't without great games, from Wipeout to.... oh I'm sure I'll think of something!

fixxxer wrote: »
    Cost and the size of the battery required make this pretty unlikely. With the PS4 Pro they're heading more graphically demanding, not less.

Yes but like pc games the performance could be optimised for the power/battery life the machine has.
    I'm sure if a few years ago someone would of told you that a system with more power than the Wii U was going to be released in a handheld device you would of told them to keep dreaming.

The gas thing is, Sony just don't make games for portable formats, just look at the lack of interest in the Vita outside of the niche products in the last two years.
    I mean, all things being equal Sony should be just able to repeat the work that makes owning a PS3/4 essential, but it just doesn't stick.
    And the Vita wasn't without great games, from Wipeout to.... oh I'm sure I'll think of something!
    The PSP before it had a lot of success though and I think the vita was marketed poorly. I'd guess it's like a Wii u and not many people even know it exists.
    I think the big draw is being able to play your console games on the go and not something made separately that's kind of like it. Exactly like the switch has.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OSI wrote: »
    Developers are already having to develop games for 2 different hardware configurations in the PS4 and PS4 Pro, really wouldn't surprise me to see a portable that offered a 3rd hardware option with similar architecture to allow for devs to create games that are playable across all 3 systems.

My point is that we are used to full games, not portable cut down versions like ps vita did. If sony can make switch type handheld and have full ps4 games on it like switch does it, then holy crap batman, I would be throwing money at sony.

I got vita at launch and I was so excited about it. Until it was clear that even games were coming to it, they were very horrible cut down versions of normal games. I loved vita as device, but I played my 3ds, but I hated the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Echoing the last poster's sentiments I once owned a PSP portable. Support never really solidified, even though I even bought 2 mini DVDs for it - man on fire and Donnie brasco. Ultimately I gave the PSP away. So I then bought a Nintendo 3ds xl. No movies sold for this device but better games playability.

PSP had loads of support though, from all kinds of studios and 1st party stuff, even though UMD's died pretty quick. Vita died so fast in fact, it barely made an impact at all, and quickly became a niche games/indie machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Am I the only one who thinks that statement is just a generic one and wasn't alluding at all to any portable competition? Sony don't need to make one at all, there's room for both as this year has shown and Sony burned themzelves too much with their portable devices. Microsoft are in a much trickier position imo.

Advertisement