Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here own and drive 2 cars?

Options
  • 07-12-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are penalties for owning and driving 2 cars with regards tax and insurance. I have a car now and it is getting old and so I am doing bits and pieces with it to keep it going and learning all the time. I am rather fond of it though and could see myself driving it 20 years from now. The problem I find is that I don't do some of the jobs because I need the car for work. It's easier to just leave it into the mechanic for a quick fix. I have a 35 mile commute - I was even thinking of cycling!

I had been thinking of getting a motorbike and then I just thought of a little cheap diesel as a run around. Is it a case of just buying the car, taxing it and insuring it or is it frowned upon? How does the insurance work with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I used to run 2 cars.

The biggest issue is when it comes to insurance, you need a separate policy for your second car and you can only use your NCB on one policy - which is ridiculous.

Although, I think there is now a company which will let you insure two cars under the same policy...

www.insuremycars.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

ION08 wrote: »
    I used to run 2 cars.

The biggest issue is when it comes to insurance, you need a separate policy for your second car and you can only use your NCB on one policy - which is ridiculous.

Although, I think there is now a company which will let you insure two cars under the same policy...

www.insuremycars.ie
    QuoteDevil mirrored my NCB for me so could insure two cars at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

QuoteDevil mirrored my NCB for me so could insure two cars at once.

It's good to know they finally did something constructive about it because the last time I think I looked into it, it was gonna cost me thousands. that was a couple f years ago though in fairness. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to Insurance that has other threads like this.
    Tax prices you can find on www.motortax.ie

Advertisement