Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Router

Options
  • 07-12-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm on the lookout for a 4G router with Ethernet outlet ports on it to share the connection ,I'm hoping to add TP Link device's upstairs to improve the quality of the connection. I'm using a mobile sim plan as my broadband provider so will need to work off the mobile/cell network.

Anyone seen anything out there less than €100 ? Bricks or Mortar or on-line !!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Thanks for that, buy new or used ??

I'd go with a used one - should be fine

What should i be looking for ? Simply a "4G LTE Router " ?

• Advertisement

You need to specify that you want ethernet also, not all 4G LTE routers have this (basically they are small mobile hotspots)

So if searching try 4G LTE router with ethernet and that should show up a router as you specified, with ethernet ports

IRCA wrote: »
    You need to specify that you want ethernet also, not all 4G LTE routers have this (basically they are small mobile hotspots)

So if searching try 4G LTE router with ethernet and that should show up a router as you specified, with ethernet ports

Thanks again, I've bought a Huawei B315 off Adverts.ie, awaiting delivery now. It's on a different network to my current sim but seller not sure it's locked/unlocked, I'll cross that bridge when I have to :D

The router was delivered today, it's looked to eircom so next job is to unlock it for my 3 sim, any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

The router was delivered today, it's looked to eircom so next job is to unlock it for my 3 sim, any recommendations ?

Dc unlocker any use. I don't know much about it but it's worth checking out.

Got it done by getting a code off unlock.ie , cost 20 quid but happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I was in the same boat and went with a TPLink MR6400, bought off amazon and delivered for around €100 , bought an all you can eat sim for 20 a month and it was plug and play. better than 40 a month dsl with 4mb max.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoin317

I am looking for a router that will use my current patchy broadband and switch to a GoMo Sim to give me a hopefully seamless signal, is the TP-Link Archer MR600 a good shout for this? Is it configurable to take the LAN as the primary and sim card as the back up?

eoin317 wrote: »
    I am looking for a router that will use my current patchy broadband and switch to a GoMo Sim to give me a hopefully seamless signal, is the TP-Link Archer MR600 a good shout for this? Is it configurable to take the LAN as the primary and sim card as the back up?

A word of advice, I'd be weary of using a Gomo sim for internet purposes in a household, once a certain limit is reached they will throttle speeds which make it useless. I know this cause I jumped on Gomo for both my mobile and internet sim card usage, I have since switched back to Three on both accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoin317

Agreed - In my experience/coverage area GoMo isnt reliable enough for the primary connection but seems to be good as back-up.

My question is, with the TP-Link Archer MR600 and other similar dual 4G-WAN Routers can I configure it to take the stronger signal which should be the broadband 80% of the time and then a sim card 20% of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

A word of advice, I'd be weary of using a Gomo sim for internet purposes in a household, once a certain limit is reached they will throttle speeds which make it useless. I know this cause I jumped on Gomo for both my mobile and internet sim card usage, I have since switched back to Three on both accounts.

Ah good old dependable ( not) eir

Ah good old dependable ( not) eir

Lesson firmly learnt :rolleyes:

Advertisement