Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Haven't read any of the thread up to now so i don't know what's the opinion of posters but here's an opinion I've had for quite a while now.

Romelu Lukaku is going to go down in united history as a very very poor signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He's what, 24 or 25 years old, been at the club 5 months and not getting a massive amount of great service.

I'd hold off throwing the book at him just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nalz wrote: »
    He's what, 24 or 25 years old, been at the club 5 months and not getting a massive amount of great service.

I'd hold off throwing the book at him just yet.

He's 24

Sure why would people hold off throwing the book on him, some people just love a good god damn knee jerk/over-reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He's 24

Sure why would people hold off throwing the book on him, some people just love a good god damn knee jerk/over-reaction.

Nothing jerky about my knees fella. I base my opinions on watching him over an extended period. I want to be wrong, I want him to be a success, and as long as he's a united player I want to see him score regularly. I genuinely don't think it's in him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

bangkok wrote: »
    Stones was class before he got injured, silva is 31 but so what, he is still one of the best players in the league and has prob 2-3 years left at the top. De bruyne? Where you think he will go and who could afford him?

I know he was looking for crazy money in terms of a new contract but you cant rule PSG out of anything with the way they are spending money, but I would expect Barcelona would be keen on him too.

Unless City start really challenging for the CL they will lose him in the next year or two I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Strikers have runs of bad form, Rooney was notorious for it, the service to Lukaku hasn't been great over the last while. His finishing also hasn't been good enough but you don't score 20 goals in the premier league for the likes of Everton without having something going for you.
    We're in a funny place, having our best run of form since Fergie left but City are in record breaking form, we need to maintain our hold on second, lukaku will come good, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, Lindelof will be happy to learn Lukaku has taken the title of "worst signing ever" off him.

:rolleyes:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Well, Lindelof will be happy to learn Lukaku has taken the title of "worst signing ever" off him.

Wont somebody think of the Taibi's

48520b5f335a582f1f2b23aad3962af2e34e1c27c20763931391c85114f9a4df.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thought Lindelof had a good game today, cut out danger a lot when he came on and he seemed to move the ball on the ground instead of Smalling and Rojo playing no hopers. Think he was one of the reasons for the improved second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think we are doing fine at the moment. I dont think many teams will fancy their chances over 2 legs in the champions league against us either.

“Hey Bebe, hey Bebe, hey.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Djemba Djemba finally moves up the ladder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's actually laughable, one of the greatest goalscorers of his generation, labelled our worst ever signing hahaha, not even a full season in.

Oh dear...and I thought I can spout some bollox after a poor loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Congratulations to City, a league title wrapped up on the 10th of December, Pep deserves credit.

As I said before the season began, our season depended on Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan to step up to the required standard, and none of them have, the quality just isn’t there on a consistent basis. De Bruyne is head and shoulders above any of them, so is Silva, Sterling, Jesus. Their movement on and off the ball is a different level to ours and more importantly they have the consistency required.

Time to reflect on where this season has gone wrong, and try to get it right next summer. We need to bring in some top quality players, is this better than last season? Of course it is, but realistically the players are only starting to hit the absolute minimum you’d expect of them, surely the top paid players in the world should comfortably get top 4 every season, is that a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

nullzero wrote: »
    Strikers have runs of bad form, Rooney was notorious for it, the service to Lukaku hasn't been great over the last while. His finishing also hasn't been good enough but you don't score 20 goals in the premier league for the likes of Everton without having something going for you.
    We're in a funny place, having our best run of form since Fergie left but City are in record breaking form, we need to maintain our hold on second, lukaku will come good, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I kind of disagree with this sentiment, and you often get it. I think often players who score a large amount of goals with smaller clubs would be expected to score a similar or greater amount with a stronger team if they move there due to better service/support.

What it kind of overlooks though, is that for their former team they were the usually the main man, had the system tailored to them, players more likely to pass to them when in decent positions. I think players can lose that when moving to a bigger team, and their output can suffer as a result.

Not saying it's the case with Lukaku, with him I think he usually has a barren spell at some point. It's just a bit more publicized now that he's at United, which probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

b8e6c7a56deac53756a1797596b9737a.jpg

astradave wrote: »
    “Hey Bebe, hey Bebe, hey.”
    Djemba Djemba finally moves up the ladder

This feels like a throw down.... is this a throw down cause im sure as **** ready to throw some ****...... down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Would prefer Jose to come out today and simply say they were better then us today, he had no complaints and his aim is to build a team to compete with them in all aspects of the game.

I didn't like them saying they were lucky and the Ref got the penalty wrong - they had 65% possession at Old Trafford ffs.. sometimes you have to admit the opponents are a better team atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Lukaku is not the first and will not be the last striker who could not cut it at a big club. He's just not top drawer, and will probably do good again in a mid table club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Beat ye all suckers

prunier.jpg

Step up William Prunier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Mokuba wrote: »
    I remember when we played Everton in the Cup Semi Final, probably the biggest game of his career to date, and he bottled every chance that came his way.

Any time we have actually needed him this season he has been missing chances, getting outmuscled at the half way line for a 50/50 ball, hitting the ball off his shins/knees.

Today, Liverpool and Chelsea he was rubbish throughout. Was equally rubbish for large portions of Tottenham and Arsenal.

If you want to win anything you need players to perform against the big teams and he seems incapable of doing so.

I really fear for him if we draw a decent team in the Champions League, because Lukaku in a game against a good team where we won't dominate possession is a recipe for disaster.

The whiole team needs to stand up. There are to many just along for the ride. This is not directed at you as a single but im sick of people coming on here and blaming everything on lukaku.

Martial was a ghost all game apart from his 85th ball in, lingard wasnt on it today, young/valencia/matic. It was poor all round, Rojo hitting balls all the way to Lukaku which either was knowhere near him or if it did he had zero support.
    Dont get me wrong Lukaku needs to get his act together but to blame it all on him is farcical.

We got players in this team who are just ****e and happy to take a wage, Herrera, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Jones ( good when he plays just made of glass) The dead wood need to be shipped out. End of the day, if your not impressing on the training field and content to be on the bench then so long.

We are so bare in midfield we have no creativity bar pogba. Carrick is getting on, fellani cant do it, herrera cant defend nor attack, who does that leave?

Squad in a whole needs work and i hope the board were true when they said that jose needs to ship players out before more come in.

Anyway rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lukaku is a very good player. Does a job but will never be a top class striker. His first touch just isnt good enough and his hold up play isnt the greatest

To be fair to Lukaku this is nothing new, he is a goalscorer who needs chances, he isn’t the type who will fashion chances for himself nor is he the type to create goals for others consistently.

We knew this when we were buying him, he is exactly the player we bought. It seems like people are surprised he isn’t Harry Kane, there’s a reason Kane will go for near double Lukaku’s price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

pjohnson wrote: »
    b8e6c7a56deac53756a1797596b9737a.jpg

He was ok, never got many games over evra, was only €4 million so not expensive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Whilst it's premature to suggest this city side is the best ever in English football no English team I can remember ever dominated possession like they can . Im sure Jose can and will improve us further but his teams have never been possession based. The only other manager whose system can compete for possession in a game v city is perhaps Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be fair to Lukaku this is nothing new, he is a goalscorer who needs chances, he isn’t the type who will fashion chances for himself nor is he the type to create goals for others consistently.

We knew this when we were buying him, he is exactly the player we bought. It seems like people are surprised he isn’t Harry Kane, there’s a reason Kane will go for near double Lukaku’s price.

Also to be fair to him, even Kane would have struggled today. The supply just simply isn't there. I thought Souness was spot on when he said lukaku had to constantly live off poorly angled balls and fifty/fifty knock downs. It's difficult to even expect a top tier player like Ronaldo or Messi to have delicate touch and control when they don't see the ball for whole blocks of the game at a time and that one opportunity they do get the supply is just poor, consistently favouring the defender.

Harry Kane is better than lukaku. Lukaku though is much better if he has functional conveyor belt supply line. Will be very interesting to see how De Bruyne supplies Lukaku at the world cup.

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Whilst it's premature to suggest this city side is the best ever in English football no English team I can remember ever dominated possession like they can . Im sure Jose can and will improve us further but his teams have never been possession based. The only other manager whose system can compete for possession in a game v city is perhaps Klopp

Arsenal have dominated possession nearly every league game for the past 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

TheDoc wrote: »
    ugggghhhhhhhhhhh

Not surprised to be honest at this reaction, people ahve been looking for excuses to give out about Lukaku everygame. Buy an 80 mil striker and play him like hes Emile Heskey pinging balls at his head.

Maybe I'm best saying nothing and when he finishes the season with another 20+ goal haul and continues it year on year, just laugh at the morons with the kneejerk

He played poorly today. It's okay for people to say that without being labelled morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lukker- wrote: »
    I kind of disagree with this sentiment, and you often get it. I think often players who score a large amount of goals with smaller clubs would be expected to score a similar or greater amount with a stronger team if they move there due to better service/support.

What it kind of overlooks though, is that for their former team they were the usually the main man, had the system tailored to them, players more likely to pass to them when in decent positions. I think players can lose that when moving to a bigger team, and their output can suffer as a result.

Not saying it's the case with Lukaku, with him I think he usually has a barren spell at some point. It's just a bit more publicized now that he's at United, which probably doesn't help.

What it also misses is the fact that smaller teams play against other teams trying to attack them. For Lukaku, he will play the majority of his games in a season now against dug in defences, barring a handful of games where he will at the front of a dug in defence. You need to be able to create some things and take early chances in those types of games as a striker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Arsenal have dominated possession nearly every league game for the past 20 years

But when they come up against the best that Europe has to offer like Barca and Bayern they ended up running around like headless chickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Congratulations to City, a league title wrapped up on the 10th of December, Pep deserves credit.

As I said before the season began, our season depended on Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan to step up to the required standard, and none of them have, the quality just isn’t there on a consistent basis. De Bruyne is head and shoulders above any of them, so is Silva, Sterling, Jesus. Their movement on and off the ball is a different level to ours and more importantly they have the consistency required.

Time to reflect on where this season has gone wrong, and try to get it right next summer. We need to bring in some top quality players, is this better than last season? Of course it is, but realistically the players are only starting to hit the absolute minimum you’d expect of them, surely the top paid players in the world should comfortably get top 4 every season, is that a success?

I'm not sure the season has gone wrong, you'd swear we were in the bottom half of them table from that post.
    Not only are we doing better than last year, we're out doing anything we've done in four years.
    City are in freakish form, but to be honest congratulations being extended to Pep isn't a sentiment I echo. He's at one of the two richest clubs on the planet who have spent aggressively for years exceeding a transfer spend of a billion pounds with a club who previously bounced back and forth between the premier league and the championship.
    It's easy to appropriate what I'm saying as sour grapes as city are our rivals but ultimately what does City's dominance of the league offer to the game as a whole?
    Is City's form this season an unbelievable freak or are we entering a period in which they dominate year on year?
    Even during our dominant years we were pushed hard by other clubs and we in turn pushed other sides hard and participated in exciting title races.
    I can't remember a season in the English top flight where a title was so convincingly wrapped up before Christmas and it doesn't leave much to excitement for the remainder of the season save for a collapse from city accompanied by a surge in form from another side. The race for the top four is on, hopefully it isn't a perennial occurrence from now on.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Next 8 PL Games could very well go along way to securing top 4 nice and early and of course to do what we must just in case City's eyes are taken off the ball - big 24 points available away from the top 6.

Bournemouth (H)
    West Brom (A)
    Leicester (A)
    Burnley (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Everton (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Burnley (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

The season is not half way over yet and how has it gone wrong. 2nd in the league, in the last 16 of CL, yeah we are not going to win the league but there are cups still to win. Id wait till the season finishes before talking about next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

City have 46 points going back the past few years Chelsea last year had 40 points year before top was 35 and 39 the year before and the top was 35 the year before again.

We are way off the standard city are setting this year In the league but we are not far off what any of us expected us to be points wise at this stage of season they are just gone above and beyond what anyone expected.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Would prefer Jose to come out today and simply say they were better then us today, he had no complaints and his aim is to build a team to compete with them in all aspects of the game.

I didn't like them saying they were lucky and the Ref got the penalty wrong - they had 65% possession at Old Trafford ffs.. sometimes you have to admit the opponents are a better team atm.

Like David Moyes did and got ridiculed for?

Tbh manager interviews are just a way to deflect from the team/defeat.. you can nearly guarantee that the media would have been on Lukakus back but now they will all be talking about Jose’s basically blaming the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He played poorly today. It's okay for people to say that without being labelled morons.

People are talking about selling him now, being Uniteds worst ever signing, a waste of money and only good enough for midtable clubs.

Salt of the earth, if you get the reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Speaking of deflecting from the team, per The Telegraph...

Jose Mourinho was involved in a furious dressing-room bust-up with Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson as tempers flared after Sunday’s derby.
    Sources claimed the Manchester United manager had milk and water thrown at him after the spat with Ederson.

Mourinho was thought to have gone to the door of City’s dressing room to ask their players to show more respect as music blared and the Premier League leaders celebrated jubilantly.

But a war of words broke out and Ederson and Mourinho are believed to have been shouting at each other in Portuguese before the United manager eventually walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Jose Mourinho was involved in a furious dressing-room bust-up with Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson as tempers flared after Sunday’s derby.
    Sources claimed the Manchester United manager had milk and water thrown at him after the spat with Ederson.

Mourinho was thought to have gone to the door of City’s dressing room to ask their players to show more respect as music blared and the Premier League leaders celebrated jubilantly.

But a war of words broke out and Ederson and Mourinho are believed to have been shouting at each other in Portuguese before the United manager eventually walked away.

Well this seems needlessly stupid on all parts

Sour grapes by mourinho by the sound of it

• Advertisement

Bad day for Mourinho... lost the match.. badly and then lost the row .

Yeah because asking for music to be turned down is sour grapes.

THINK LOGICALLY BEFORE POSTING.

City would have gotten even more enjoyment out of Mourinhos reaction, needless

They were celebrating winning the league don't you know.... and you ask them to turn down the music !

secman wrote: »
    They were celebrating winning the league don't you know.... and you ask them to turn down the music !

Derby. League ain't done yet..

Sour milk you mean :o

Derby. League ain't done yet..

Seriously ?

secman wrote: »
    Seriously ?

Of course, season doesn't finish til May, and United have clawed back deficit's before.

Of course, season doesn't finish til May, and United have clawed back deficit's before.

Yep.... but we don't Have SAF.. .. we have Mourinho

Ok

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement