Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They are more likely to let Bale leave,the word out of Madrid is that the club are fed up of telling Bale to cut back on playing golf as it's exacerbating his injuries. He's pretty much playing off scratch and spends most of his free time on a golf course.

I find this incredibly difficult to believe. A world class professional athlete is ignoring physio/medical advice and putting his career at risk so that he can pursue a hobby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I find this incredibly difficult to believe. A world class professional athlete is ignoring physio/medical advice and putting his career at risk so that he can pursue a hobby?

You'd be amazed at what goes through fellas heads especially when it comes to lowering a handicap in golf.

I remember Giggs being told to get rid of his sports cars when playing as they found that the way he had to sit in them was causing problems with his lower back and as a result his legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It’s how real work really, put out negative sound bites into the press to make the player look bad and Real good for when he leaves.. “he didn’t want to leave us but the club had to cut him loose because he wasn’t listening to us” their fans are some of the most gullible fans about.

My concern with Mahrez is the extent to which he downed tools and under-performed following the Leicester title win. We have enough problems with flaky players going into hiding during rough patches and would want to be very wary about targeting players who have shown similar tendencies.

• He's only coming up on 27. Would/Should easily get another 4 years or so - I don't think every signing we could/should make needs to be 21-24.

I've no issue with his age. It's his consistency that can be questioned.
    If Man Utd invest it won't be for a short term fix you would expect.
    Like why January and not summer? Our best place finish will be 2nd.
    Is it to support that and further strengthen in the summer?
    I suspect his availability allows for game-time in the CL.
    It's hard know to be honest but if the club are gonna make a move then make it quick.
    A player needs to be sold I'd say for it to happen too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Turtwig wrote: »
    I think he only plays Mata because he has no real other option. Mahrez would improve United imo. He should only be a considered a temporary solution imo. Overall I think yer best off bite the bullet and just see the current season through. Save the cash on Mahrez for a bigger splurge for better quality in the summer.

He plays mata because he has been excellent for weeks now.

I remember Giggs being told to get rid of his sports cars when playing as they found that the way he had to sit in them was causing problems with his lower back and as a result his legs.

Exactly. Gary Pallister had to do similar, and that was in the days before sports science really took off. The lads at that level look at every aspect of their training and conditioning and Bale especially strikes me as a player that put a lot of work into his physical condition to get where he is today.

These are athletes that look at the seats they sit in, the mattresses they sleep on, they tend to be pretty finely tuned so like I say, I'd be pretty shocked to hear that injury prone Gareth Bale was ignoring physio advice in such a blatant fashion. He might be a golf nut and it might be the word on the street, I just find it hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Turtwig wrote: »
    Kroos with Pogba would be a defensive disaster.

Kroos with matic, pogba to the left. Would be a class midfield

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mick, you make the point about signing players now for the battle for second.

I wonder if Jose would have his eye on how deep into the CL we could go, and would look for a signing or two in that regard. For instance, Ozil and Mahrez would be massive, massive bolsters for the CL run, and would be relatively cheap options as well.

I also think I'd be amazed if Mkhi doesn't get shipped out if someone does come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    Kroos with matic, pogba to the left. Would be a class midfield

I have to agree with this.
    Matic as your defensive shield and disruptor is ideal.
    Kroos as your ball playing controller is what we are crying out for
    Pogba sitting in front of them doing his thing of spraying passes about and supporting the front three and getting into the box late

That gives you the balance we're currently missing. Pogba isn't the greatest at controlling the tempo and pace of the game which Kroos (and modric) do for Real. If you could bring in Kroos and do that it would go a long way to improving the team. Its the kind of player Gundogan also is and why i'd have liked us to get him but with his injury record probably for the better we didn't.

From there you need to find full backs who can get up and down the line. Young and Valencia whilst doing decent jobs of it are converted wingers in their 30's who we need to look at replacing. Shaw could still be the left sided solution for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We also can't look at 2nd to 4th place being a forgone conclusion. Results in the last couple of weeks have eroded the little cushion we had and we are now in a bigger fight with Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs for those three spaces.

IMO we need to look at signings that can improve our performances and results over the remainder of the season to help secure CL football for next season. Missing out on the CL could be huge, and it is a real possibility.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Martial's 50 senior career goals.

Some lad to finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW17HWuaE0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think the game against Everton proved we should be prioritising an upgrade on Herrera to put some balance in midfield more so then throwing more attacking players at the problem.

Someone like maherez would be great if we had our midfield sorted. If we get the midfield functioning I think we have loads attacking players that would benefit from better chances and less time spent in their own half.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Mick, you make the point about signing players now for the battle for second.

I wonder if Jose would have his eye on how deep into the CL we could go, and would look for a signing or two in that regard. For instance, Ozil and Mahrez would be massive, massive bolsters for the CL run, and would be relatively cheap options as well.

I also think I'd be amazed if Mkhi doesn't get shipped out if someone does come in.

Not that I want fellani gone but it looks like he wants the move so I wish him well.

Move on Miki and Fellani in that case and bring in Ozil (summer tbh) and mahrez and that would bolster us.
    The right side and cross delivery would need to improve, I think mahrez would need to step up and take his game to the next level.
    You would hope he wouldn't bottle under the pressure if he did sign.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think the game against Everton proved we should be prioritising an upgrade on Herrera to put some balance in midfield more so then throwing more attacking players at the problem.

Someone like maherez would be great if we had our midfield sorted. If we get the midfield functioning I think we have loads attacking players that would benefit from better chances and less time spent in their own half.

Vidal is apparently being eyed up by Chelsea though his price is €60m apparently..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Vidal is apparently being eyed up by Chelsea though his price is €60m apparently..

Brilliant player but is he right for what we need age wise and the type of trouble brings?

I was of the opinion that our midfield was well stocked but past few weeks show of its anything but.

I'd like to think we could find someone thats about pogba age and and can help control and create midfield.

If we could get ander playing well consistently again it would help massively but he was very careless in possession the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know people want a big signing, and would improve the team and probably fan morale but I'd love to see some of the youth players given chances to make claims to some of the positions.

Would love if McTominay and Tuanzebe were given more chances in the league. Both have looked good with the little games they've played this season and would like to see them given opportunities to make claims for themselves. I know José says he's limited their chances out of respect to older players but I don't agree with that.

TFM has been getting game time at Palace so I'd rather keep him there this season than pull him out just to sit him on the bench. Andreas Pereira is doing well with Valencia also and probably will stay there but would love to see him back in the squad and given the chance. There is uncertainty in our midfield and he could possibly come in and claim a position, but it would be a bit of a risk as he is doing well away.

I'm more curious atm about who, if any, we will recall than buy. I know we need to improve the team and it's all about the money these days and bringing in big signings but I do love when we see a youth player work his way up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know people want a big signing, and would improve the team and probably fan morale but I'd love to see some of the youth players given chances to make claims to some of the positions.

Would love if McTominay and Tuanzebe were given more chances in the league. Both have looked good with the little games they've played this season and would like to see them given opportunities to make claims for themselves. I know José says he's limited their chances out of respect to older players but I don't agree with that.

TFM has been getting game time at Palace so I'd rather keep him there this season than pull him out just to sit him on the bench. Andreas Pereira is doing well with Valencia also and probably will stay there but would love to see him back in the squad and given the chance. There is uncertainty in our midfield and he could possibly come in and claim a position, but it would be a bit of a risk as he is doing well away.

I'm more curious atm about who, if any, we will recall than buy. I know we need to improve the team and it's all about the money these days and bringing in big signings but I do love when we see a youth player work his way up.

As I said yesterday, I would love to see Pereira and TFM recalled to be proper squad players. TFM could replace Darmian, and offer at CB to. Pereira could play in any of the positions Pogba, Lingard and Herrera played the last match. Both would be super additions to the squad and cost us nothing.

McTominay... I just don't know. I've seen nothing in his performances that excite me as a player.

United need more senior players as well. A Modric for example would be a dream signing even in advancing years to have a player like him, used to all the pressure, been through all the tough games in tough scenario's. That is an extreme example as its not going to happen but just to illustrate the point.

With Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Bailly, Lindelof, Lingard, Shaw all under 25. Carrick sure to retire and imagine Zlatan will head to US or somewhere, an experienced winner who is playing at a high level would be a big help in a squad not that used to the big games.

Who in the squad now had played in the Champions League semi finals for example? Pogba, Matic, Mata, Carrick? Smalling was at United in 2011.

Many of the nearer 30 players futures are in doubt (Fellaini, Darmian, Blind) so squad has room for more senior signings.

EDIT: Valencia obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

jayo26 wrote: »
    Brilliant player but is he right for what we need age wise and the type of trouble brings?

I was of the opinion that our midfield was well stocked but past few weeks show of its anything but.

I'd like to think we could find someone thats about pogba age and and can help control and create midfield.

If we could get ander playing well consistently again it would help massively but he was very careless in possession the other day.

I thought Ander was ok, he drove the ball forward a good bit which is what his role was. Vidal is still the best B2B in the world I reckon so definitely would take him but the price has to be right. Would compliment Matic and Pogba so well if we were to play the same formation we played against Everton every week.

Who else could really fill that role thats available? I reckon Ander would do well if we gave him the time we would have to give a new player.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Gary Pallister had to do similar, and that was in the days before sports science really took off. The lads at that level look at every aspect of their training and conditioning and Bale especially strikes me as a player that put a lot of work into his physical condition to get where he is today.

These are athletes that look at the seats they sit in, the mattresses they sleep on, they tend to be pretty finely tuned so like I say, I'd be pretty shocked to hear that injury prone Gareth Bale was ignoring physio advice in such a blatant fashion. He might be a golf nut and it might be the word on the street, I just find it hard to believe.

Remember when David James blamed his PlayStation for his form being rubbish. :):):)

The return of our photogenic legend!

f202ce8249684329a8b7bfde3fe895ae500x500.jpg

See Jones has been doing a lot of interviews before games this season. He's only 1 game away from equalling the same amount of appearances in the league last season having played 17 of our first 22. Fingers crossed new year he can continue his form and keep getting regular games. Be nice when Bailly gets back too.

DM_7 wrote: »
    United need more senior players as well. A Modric for example would be a dream signing even in advancing years to have a player like him, used to all the pressure, been through all the tough games in tough scenario's. That is an extreme example as its not going to happen but just to illustrate the point.

With Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Bailly, Lindelof, Lingard, Shaw all under 25. Carrick sure to retire and imagine Zlatan will head to US or somewhere, an experienced winner who is playing at a high level would be a big help in a squad not that used to the big games.

Who in the squad now had played in the Champions League semi finals for example? Pogba, Matic, Mata, Carrick? Smalling was at United in 2011.

Many of the nearer 30 players futures are in doubt (Fellaini, Darmian, Blind) so squad has room for more senior signings.

EDIT: Valencia obviously.

On that note we have been linked to Lass on a free transfer today.. hard to believe he’s only 32

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Vidal isn't the player he was at Juventus and he's in his 30d now and has had injury problems. Still a very good player though but I think we should look elsewhere . Id prefer a more creative midfielder . Didn't dunphy call Vidal something derogatory a while back . Something along the lines of a hatchet man or something to suggest he had no real quality

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Vidal isn't the player he was at Juventus and he's in his 30d now and has had injury problems. Still a very good player though but I think we should look elsewhere . Id prefer a more creative midfielder . Didn't dunphy call Vidal something derogatory a while back . Something along the lines of a hatchet man or something to suggest he had no real quality

If you form your opinion from what Dunphy says then ere is no real debate to be had with you

Edit: not directed at you personally, meant you in the broader sense

astradave wrote: »
    On that note we have been linked to Lass on a free transfer today.. hard to believe he’s only 32

Us and PSG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Tylerdurex wrote: »

Oh dear, please tell me this is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

astradave wrote: »

Do we need another backup DM? If so, why are we getting rid of Fellaini?

Never bought into the opinion that a player was done when they turn 30. Seems more common these days that they're labelled to be either written off or in a downward spiral when the age flips from that 29 to 30.

Any player who has taken care of themselves and avoided a career of terrible injuries can play long into the 30s. Yes some aspects of their game will dip but they are all smart enough players to adapt.

I know people are concerned about long-term but signing a player who is 30 you should still expect to get 3-4 good years out of them, barring any significant setback.

• Advertisement

Do we need another backup DM? If so, why are we getting rid of Fellaini?

Doubt it’s true, probably reps trying to drum up some interest. This one seems to be the headlines over in Italy anyways, Joao Mario for Mkhi

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/948509291367067648?s=17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Diarra is a funny one as in he’s been linked a long time now. He can deffo play but there must be attitude problems there given the number of clubs he’s had. Also wasn’t he named Marseilles captain then realized for free a few months later?

Sneijder told he can leave Nice.

The one season we haven't been linked with him :P

Sneijder told he can leave Nice.

The one season we haven't been linked with him :P

Jose turned him into a ballon d'or winner... stranger things have happened....

brinty wrote: »
    Jose turned him into a ballon d'or winner... stranger things have happened....

It's looking like LA Galaxy I think.

Actually was down to see one of his rare run outs for Nice.
    Pretty much flopped with them.

It feels like we were linked with him every season for years, I'd nearly just sign him now on the free (reportedly he could be let go for nothing) to bring truth to all those rumours.

It's looking like LA Galaxy I think.

Actually was down to see one of his rare run outs for Nice.
    Pretty much flopped with them.

It feels like we were linked with him every season for years, I'd nearly just sign him now on the free (reportedly he could be let go for nothing) to bring truth to all those rumours.

Bring in Gaitan at the same time......
    and Garay too.....

and sure we might finally get Ozil this summer... didn't we have that deal done back in 2010 along with Khediera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think Mahrez would be a decent signing. Relatively young still, is eligible for champions league and form is good atm.

Great to see Lingard starting to develop into an important player for us. He's a late bloomer as such but it's not such a bad thing I think. Some players I find who are playing regularly in their teenage years can be burnt out in their late 20's. Rooney was regressing loads towards the dynamic player he was early in his career. Owen, Fowler also and Gerrard was going backwards in his early 30's. All were a shadow of their former self at an age where you'd think they'd be at their peak years

Think Mahrez would be a decent signing. Relatively young still, is eligible for champions league and form is good atm.

Great to see Lingard starting to develop into an important player for us. He's a late bloomer as such but it's not such a bad thing I think. Some players I find who are playing regularly in their teenage years can be burnt out in their late 20's. Rooney was regressing loads towards the dynamic player he was early in his career. Owen, Fowler also and Gerrard was going backwards in his early 30's. All were a shadow of their former self at an age where you'd think they'd be at their peak years

MY1G6.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Our match Friday is on Sportsnet for anyone in Canada.

It is on Eir Sport 2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Our match Friday is on Sportsnet for anyone in Canada.

Just booked my flight. Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is on Eir Sport 2 as well.
    Edit

Hang on maybe you're right.

Just not on in Uk.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Edit

Hang on maybe you're right.

Just not on in Uk.

Fecking Brexit. :)

They made a big deal about United not being on TV in the UK for this round of the FA cup.

Fecking Brexit. :)

They made a big deal about United not being on TV in the UK for this round of the FA cup.

Yeah first time in 50 odd games we haven't been picked to be shown over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone fancy Shanchez for 25 million?

@ShaneBurns_: Arsenal are willing to listen to offers in excess of £25million for Alexis Sanchez. [@johncrossmirror] #MCFC

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy Shanchez for 25 million?

@ShaneBurns_: Arsenal are willing to listen to offers in excess of £25million for Alexis Sanchez. [@johncrossmirror] #MCFC

He'll be wearing light blue in Manchester unfortunately.

Meh is a great player an all but he isn’t a team player at all and that’s what we need right now..

25m is crazy for a player of his level. Going to be an incredible buy for whoever activates that this window, if they do.

I really hope Liverpool throw in a joke bid of 25,000,001 for the craic

Lord TSC wrote: »
    25m is crazy for a player of his level. Going to be an incredible buy for whoever activates that this window, if they do.

25m for a player with 6 months left on his contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement