Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• jayo26 wrote: »
    And people in here saying we should swap strikers...

#donkeyout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    #donkeyout

Not me surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

More Jose quit talk in the papers today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Tylerdurex wrote: »

Daily mail and they using a picture of him in his office saying he looks lonely..... it was taken when he first joined the club.

Maybe he will leave who knows but the facts are Jose on his interviews very much sounds like someone thats planning for the future talking about signings In the summer.

It actually sounds so desperate from the media at this stage to always have a negative Jose story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Daily mail and they using a picture of him in his office saying he looks lonely..... it was taken when he first joined the club.

Maybe he will leave who knows but the facts are Jose on his interviews very much sounds like someone thats planning for the future talking about signings In the summer.

It actually sounds so desperate from the media at this stage to always have a negative Jose story.

It’s Chris Wheeler who has **** all contacts with United, he is saying Jose is furious because the club won’t sanction a 40m move for Danny Rose in January.. I’d put it on the “nothing at all about United, let’s make something up for the clicks” shelf

astradave wrote: »
    It’s Chris Wheeler who has **** all contacts with United, he is saying Jose is furious because the club won’t sanction a 40m move for Danny Rose in January.. I’d put it on the “nothing at all about United, let’s make something up for the clicks” shelf

Unreal crap talk. Even the other day pep complained about the fixtures and not a word said but when Jose does it it's moaning.

I don't mind crap been wrote but even in here it destroyeds a decent debate because if it's negative it's taken as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As journalists go, Lawton is actually not that he worst, broke the Lukaku deal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Isn't Danny Rose crocked again. I read somewhere that he's had a set back in his recovery. Anything United related generates clicks no matter how much bollixology is written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Tylerdurex wrote: »

Kinda similar to Trump coverage. It obviously sells.

The amusing thing is that everyone knows when Jose is speaking s**t to deflect, yet the media usually take him at face value rather than go deeper to real issues. It’s depressing how awful journalism is these days in n both front and back pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rose definitely played recently, no idea if he is injured or not. Have no interest in him anyway tbh, wouldn't be rushing in to give Levy a massively inflated fee for him.

Re the Jose stories, its him, its United. It comes of being the biggest club in England and one of the big 4 in terms of world football. Whatever is written will sell, but the negative stuff will generate more interest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

We should be breaking the bank to sign: Hazard, Mahrez, Alderweireld, Dybala and Vidal.

We sign those players, everyone better watch out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

RVD420 wrote: »
    We should be breaking the bank to sign: Hazard, Mahrez, Alderweireld, Dybala and Vidal.

We sign those players, everyone better watch out!

Messi and Ronaldo probably want to play together before they retire too!

Rose definitely played recently, no idea if he is injured or not. Have no interest in him anyway tbh, wouldn't be rushing in to give Levy a massively inflated fee for him.

Re the Jose stories, its him, its United. It comes of being the biggest club in England and one of the big 4 in terms of world football. Whatever is written will sell, but the negative stuff will generate more interest.

It's worse with Jose and United far worse Pep didn't get called out whatsoever and last night conte complains about always been at a club suffering austerity but yet all we see in papers is a 2 year old picture of jose sitting in his office looking lonely and a full article wrote up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

The fact he still lives in a hotel in Manchester is unsettling, It doesn't exactly paint a picture of someone committed to a long term position at the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The fact he still lives in a hotel in Manchester is unsettling, It doesn't exactly paint a picture of someone committed to a long term position at the club.

Richard Harris lived in the Savoy in London for decades. It's not like he's staying in a double room like you get in the IBIS. It will be a suite which is basically the same as an apartment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/manchester/articles/inside-the-lowry-manchester-jose-mourinho/

I'm sure it's lovely but again if he was intent on staying at the club for longer (or even his contract) he could easily buy a property, doesn't send a good message to the fans that he won't commit to the area.

I'm sure it's lovely but again if he was intent on staying at the club for longer (or even his contract) he could easily buy a property, doesn't send a good message to the fans that he won't commit to the area.

Oh and BTW James Ducker is reporting that United are negotiating a new contract with Mourinho.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/948836216379793408

I don’t get this, I’m certain that more and more managers will begin to do this.. There is not going to be any managers like Fergie or Wenger around anymore so why commit to the area, what happens if he buys a gaff for 2m or so, he’ll even 500k and it doesn’t work out with United and he then can’t shift the house? 500k (2m) down the drain?

If it’s working for him then leave him to it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I just can't agree it is that simple.

If it is possible for him to commute to/from London without issue to the club, then why should he be forced to move his family from where they have settled.

In terms of schools/work for his family, uprooting them to Manchester just may not make sense to them.

The way I look at it is that United were an absolute priority for Mourinho for ages, he wanted this job badly. With that, it is clear he never planned on moving his family from London to Manchester, because it didn't happen - so I don't see the continuation of that being an issue that gets bigger over time.

If his family had originally moved to Manchester and had then moved back then I would see it being a bigger issue, but it simply is what it is and I have no particular need for him to uproot his family (again). At some point you have to let your family try to settle somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No matter how luxurious it is it does seem odd to still be staying in the hotel.Wouldn't he have a lot more privacy if he lived in a house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

yabadabado wrote: »
    No matter how luxurious it is it does seem odd to still be staying in the hotel.Wouldn't he have a lot more privacy if he lived in a house.

Again, that's underestimating the type of hotel he's living in. You think that when he's paying as much as he is, the hotel are letting journalists up to his floor? He probably has a floor to himself...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Again, that's underestimating the type of hotel he's living in. You think that when he's paying as much as he is, the hotel are letting journalists up to his floor? He probably has a floor to himself...

Plus probably has his own security team

I'm not underestimating the hotel just to me it seems odd. If he's still in the hotel per the link I've been in it and it's unreal and I've no doubt security etc is top notch.
    If it were me I know I'd rather have a house but each to their own.
    Either way it makes no difference and I'm sure if the arrangement wasn't working Jose would be long gone out of it.

I'm not underestimating the hotel just to me it seems odd. If he's still in the hotel per the link I've been in it and it's unreal and I've no doubt security etc is top notch.
    If it were me I know I'd rather have a house but each to their own.

Exactly, it's just odd. When he goes to PSG it will be interesting to see where he lives.

Exactly, it's just odd. When he goes to PSG it will be interesting to see where he lives.

indeed - Paris to London is as easy as Manchester to London so it shouldn't be different, but his family might be happier to move ot Paris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Di Marzio] Mkhitaryan to Inter is complicated. A loan deal isn't wanted by United or Mkhitaryan and a swap deal for Joao Mario doesn't seem to interest United as they aren't convinced by him.

Man, maybe they shouldn't have been so tough over the Perisic deal ;)

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Di Marzio] Mkhitaryan to Inter is complicated. A loan deal isn't wanted by United or Mkhitaryan and a swap deal for Joao Mario doesn't seem to interest United as they aren't convinced by him.

Is this still an option?

I think it's just a bit odd on a personal level, not suggesting he is in a hotel because he ain't hanging around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is this still an option?

He isn't having a very good season. Stats wise it's good just like Mkhitaryan's but overall performances are not that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I wonder how many of the current 20 PL managers have bought a house specifically for their current job? My guess would be 1.

If your issue is a lifestyle one then it’s really irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would love to live in a fancy hotel.

Reports in France are saying that PSG want Conte to take over in the summer so maybe the “when” is a bit hasty

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He isn't having a very good season. Stats wise it's good just like Mkhitaryan's but overall performances are not that good.

Didn’t he also sign a new 5 or 6 year contract in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Real might eventually stop annoying us about Dave now.

https://twitter.com/English_AS/status/948827851314352129

AS say Kepa has deal agreed to join Madrid.

Reports in France are saying that PSG want Conte to take over in the summer so maybe the “when” is a bit hasty

Could be I guess.

Looks like Ozil may sign a new deal at Arsenal, would have loved to see how a 25 million bid from the board this month would have played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Didn’t he also sign a new 5 or 6 year contract in the summer

Yeah he signed extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone I know who through their jobs have to use hotels extensively tend to hate hotels and can't wait to get home . I find it very odd that Morinho didn't buy a place if his own , it's not like he can't afford a place and in the long term it could give him investment income. On a personal level i don't get it and if I remember correctly he had a moan about it at one stage not having his own space !
    It might put a smile on his face having his own space to relax in and enjoy a glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Are people really debating the why José would chose to live in a hotel over a house and speculating it means he is on the way out? Definitely quiet on the transfer front so!

Next up Jones sleeps in a hammock. Why doesn't he just buy a bed? Is him falling out of the hammock leading to more injuries?

Don't know if this has been posted already but was having a read of it yday for anyone interested.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2018/Jan/Manchester-United-loan-watch-January-update-on-eight-players-away-from-the-club.aspx
    Tim Fosu-Mensah (Crystal Palace)
    The 20-year-old, whose last appearance for United was against Crystal Palace in our final league game last season, has caught the eye so far during his loan spell at Selhurst Park. He’s made 18 appearances this season and his impressive form of late has coincided with an upturn in fortunes for Roy Hodgson’s men. The Netherlands international started the Eagles’ home games against Bournemouth and Watford but suffered a hamstring injury in the latter, which sidelined him for the Eagles’ 3-0 win at Leicester. He returned as a substitute in their 3-2 defeat against Arsenal before putting in an excellent performance in their goalless draw against Premier League leaders Manchester City, keeping Leroy Sane quiet and earning the Man-of-the-Match award.

Sam Johnstone (Aston Villa)
    The 24-year-old keeper has continued to be a mainstay between the sticks for the Championship side as Steve Bruce’s men pursue promotion back to the Premier League. The sought-after stopper has kept 11 clean sheets in 26 league appearances so far during his season-long loan stint, including shut-outs in their 1-0 win at Middlesbrough and 5-0 victory over Bristol City in the last two games, which have pushed the Villans back into fifth in the table and firmly in the mix for a play-off place. Having also spent the second half of last season on loan at Villa Park, Johnstone is just two appearances short of 50 for the club – all but one of which have been in the Championship.

Andreas Pereira (Valencia)
    The attacking midfielder, who spent last season on loan at fellow Spanish side Granada, has impressed so far in a Valencia side who have been one of the surprise packages of La Liga this season. Pereira, who arrived at on a season-long loan on deadline day, has scored one goal and recorded three assists in 19 appearances in all competitions so far – with his only strike so far a stunning effort in a 6-3 win over Real Betis in October. The 22-year-old has largely played either on the left or right flank in Marcelino’s favoured 4-4-2 formation this term and it’s paid dividends with some excellent displays as Valencia sit third in the table, two points behind second-placed Atletico Madrid. But, unlike in England, Pereira has had a rest over the festive period as the Spanish top-flight have enjoyed a winter break, with the action resuming again this weekend.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (Leeds United)
    The pacey left-back has struggled to get regular game time this season under Leeds head coach Thomas Christensen, who has largely preferred Gaetano Berardi in the left-back position. Borthwick-Jackson played every minute of their Carabao Cup campaign but hasn’t featured since their 3-1 defeat at Leicester City in the fourth round on 24 October. The 20-year-old, who burst onto the first-team scene as a teenager at Old Trafford with some impressive performances under Louis van Gaal, will be hoping to get more opportunities to play in the second half of the season.

Matty Willock (FC Utrecht)
    The athletic central midfielder joined Utrecht in order to gain experience playing in Europe this term, and he impressed immediately, scoring on his full debut for the club in the 6-0 defeat of Ajax Amateurs in the KNVB Beker. But, although he’s played a handful of times for the club’s Reserves, he has been unable to make his mark in the Dutch Eredivisie, having only made three appearances – the last of which was as a late substitute in their impressive 2-1 win at Ajax on 5 November.

Regan Poole (Northampton Town)

The classy Welshman has featured prominently in the Cobblers side languishing in the relegation zone in their second successive season in League One. Despite the September departure of manager Justin Edinburgh, who gave him his debut at Newport County, the teenager has been a regular fixture under his successor Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and has occupied a midfield berth in recent weeks. Although they have lost their last three games, the Wales Under-21 international has shown glimpses of promise in the position, which could bode well for the future.

Devonte Redmond (Scunthorpe United)

The central midfielder featured in both of the Irons’ Carabao Cup ties earlier this season, but he has been restricted to just one outing in League One – as a late substitute in their 4-0 win at Plymouth back in August. However, he was an ever-present in their Checkatrade Trophy campaign – playing in their games against Sunderland Under-21s, Grimsby, Doncaster and Leicester Under-21s. Boss Graham Alexander said Redmond “ticks all the boxes” when he signed on a season-long loan and the 21-year-old will be hoping he’s done enough to get more playing time in the second half of the campaign as they look to clinch a play-off place for the second season running.

Dean Henderson (Shrewsbury Town)
    The England Under-21 international stopper has been in sensational form in Shropshire – which has been key to the Shrews’ magnificent campaign so far, with Paul Hurst’s men sitting second in League One and on course for automatic promotion to the Championship. Henderson, who benefited from a spell on loan at Grimsby Town in League Two last term, has kept 11 clean sheets in 24 appearances – all but one of which have been in the league – with his latest shut-out coming in their 1-0 win over struggling Oldham at the Montgomery Waters Stadium on New Year’s Day.

Still no sign of any players being recalled yet. Also I knew Johnstone was doing well with Villa but nearly 50 caps already? Caught me by surprise.

Also on Sam Johnstone, it appears Villa are hoping to get promoted and buy him next season, according to their owner. If that is the case I wouldn't mind a buy-back clause there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

secman wrote: »
    Anyone I know who through their jobs have to use hotels extensively tend to hate hotels and can't wait to get home . I find it very odd that Morinho didn't buy a place if his own , it's not like he can't afford a place and in the long term it could give him investment income. On a personal level i don't get it and if I remember correctly he had a moan about it at one stage not having his own space !
    It might put a smile on his face having his own space to relax in and enjoy a glass of wine.

I'd image in their case they're in different hotels travelling all the time. Jose is in the one space, and as someone else mentioned it's essentially an apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Also on Sam Johnstone, it appears Villa are hoping to get promoted and buy him next season, according to their owner. If that is the case I wouldn't mind a buy-back clause there.

West brom want to sign him now apparently.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    West brom want to sign him now apparently.

Yeah I saw that one, wonder how much they are looking to spend on him.

Would require us to recall him and I'd rather we let him finish out his loan deal with Villa and address it then next window.

I reckon Sam Johnstone is going to have a very good career. Very talented keeper, but not talented enough to displace De Gea. Joel Pereira is also looking like a very good prospect so another reason SJ could be allowed to move somewhere else permanently and try to make a career for himself.

The one year contract extensions have been activated on Mata's, Young's, Herrera's and Blind's contracts according to the Telegraph.

I reckon Sam Johnstone is going to have a very good career. Very talented keeper, but not talented enough to displace De Gea. Joel Pereira is also looking like a very good prospect so another reason SJ could be allowed to move somewhere else permanently and try to make a career for himself.

Yeah I'm a big fan of his but as you said it's unlikely he'll ever break into first team. He's doing very well with Villa and would be probably best for his career to stay with them until end. If they get promotion they will look to buy him and would be great for him to enter the PL with a settled team/defence he is used to, if not another team will fancy a go at him.

Putting a buy-back in his contract may just be to keep me happy in the event that he goes on to play great in the league and DDG leaves us with no true replacement lined up.

The one year contract extensions have been activated on Mata's, Young's, Herrera's and Blind's contracts according to the Telegraph.

Good news, happy to see all those signed up but ideally all are only squad members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Blind is somewhat suprising the rest were expected

Good news, happy to see all those signed up but ideally all are only squad members.

in one way it protects their value if United decide to sell them in the summer anyway, but it also keeps them on hight wages which is generally a cause for United struggling to sell players.

Though Blind is the only one i'd be shot of out of that group. I think the rest could remain good squad players next season, but need to be improved upon as first 11 players (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

pjohnson wrote: »
    Blind is somewhat suprising the rest were expected

Helps to get a decent transfer fee if clubs come sniffing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement