Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

irishman86 wrote: »
    Ozil could play rw and then Pogba continues in midfield

Then your not going to get the best out of ozil so really, what's the point? Buy players to fit roles. We need a right winger, we also need a 10 as miki as much as I wish it wasn't the way, is simply not working out.

Or abandon the 10 and play with an inverted triangle 3 in midfield, getting the best out of pogba, allowing matic to sit deep protecting. Veratti would be the absolute ideal signing but anybody in the mould of marchisio, fecking Herrera from last season, basically a water carrier box to box to allow the midfield to be fully functional.

Ozil is quality, I'm just not sure how he fits into the set up best for the team. The team has to be built around pogba buying people who will compliment his skills and allow him to flourish.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

bangkok wrote: »
    People are crying out for pace on right wing, ozil doesnt offer that. Also mata has been excellent for us out there imo, i dont really see what getting ozil would offer unless we change formation and give him no10 role

A proper attacker in the rw role
    As for crying out for speed, well for me thats not always the way to go its a simple mans way of thinking

• We already have pace, Valencia as an example
    It's accuracy and delivery in the final third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We already have a #10 as our first choice right winger Mata so no need for another out of position player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think that despite what many might hope for, Jose feels 4-2-3-1 is his preferred formation.

If so, he's going to want a #10 he can trust, and Ozil seems such a perfect fit for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think that despite what many might hope for, Jose feels 4-2-3-1 is his preferred formation.

If so, he's going to want a #10 he can trust, and Ozil seems such a perfect fit for him.

Pogba needs to play the #10 unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think we are not going to be playing a 3 man midfield unless it’s against one of the better teams do for 15/19 we will be playing a 2 man mid.. hell its more a one man

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pogba needs to play the #10 unfortunately.

I don’t agree with that, he needs to be an no8.. of you play him at 10 you take away from his driving the ball forward and spraying it around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Imo, we need to create the side around Pogba, not buying names to shoehorn into the side and not get the best out of him.

You'd be better off with Mahrez than Ozil imo, and putting him on the right. A front 4 of Rashford/Martial, Pogba, Mahrez, Lukaku would be better than putting Ozil into the no10 role of our current side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Regards Ozil, while we might see Pogba more effective with a more solid type of player in midfield to make up a 3 man midfield i wouldn't discount Ozil playing there. Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal wouldn't be more solid than Pogba, Ozil and Matic. City play Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Silva as their midfield trio. It's as much having an extra body there and having an intelligent passer's. We have the joint second best defence in the league, most of our issues have been with creativity especially when Pogba isn't available. Ozil certainly gives us that.
    Also, as i mentioned before when there was talk of Ozil is that it's also a case of enhancing the quality of our squad like City do. Do City need to add Sanchez to their team? No.....but it probably won't stop them and it will sure as hell make them a stronger squad, which is what we need to start doing.

Regards Ozil, while we might see Pogba more effective with a more solid type of player in midfield to make up a 3 man midfield i wouldn't discount Ozil playing there. Pogba, Pirlo and Vidal wouldn't be more solid than Pogba, Ozil and Matic. City play Fernandinho, De Bruyne and Silva as their midfield trio. It's as much having an extra body there and having an intelligent passer's. We have the joint second best defence in the league, most of our issues have been with creativity especially when Pogba isn't available. Ozil certainly gives us that.
    Also, as i mentioned before when there was talk of Ozil is that it's also a case of enhancing the quality of our squad like City do. Do City need to add Sanchez to their team? No.....but it probably won't stop them and it will sure as hell make them a stronger squad, which is what we need to start doing.

Of course it would, that's like light years apart.

titan18 wrote: »
    Of course it would, that's like light years apart.

Go on..........enlighten me as to why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Go on..........enlighten me as to why?

Because pirlo and vidal would be stronger defensively than ozil and Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    We already have pace, Valencia as an example
    It's accuracy and delivery in the final third

Ozil collecting those square balls from Valencia would be a thing of beauty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/man-utd-boss-jose-mourinho-makes-porto-striker-enquiry

I know zero about this guy and not gonna read into it much but said I'd share anyways

• Advertisement

Because pirlo and vidal would be stronger defensively than ozil and Matic.

Lights years apart?

I'd argue that there wouldn't be much in it comparing the 2 sets of 3 considering Pogba has had 2 more years of developing both physically and footballing wise. I think Pogba and Ozil dictating play with Matic sitting deeper could very well be a very good combination. Pogba and Matic are monsters who should be dominating area's physically. I think a lot of people don't watch Ozil and think of him as this luxury No.10 who just sits idle waiting for the ball. One of his most effective traits is actually linking play to upfront from deep in a quick transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I can see Ozil staying at Arsenal. No matter what I just don’t see him joining us. I’m not that arsed either.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I can see Ozil staying at Arsenal. No matter what I just don’t see him joining us. I’m not that arsed either.

Who do you want gsp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As much of a talented player he is buying Ozil would make the 89 million spent on Pogba look silly. The level he operates at in a midfield 2 isn’t anything special, he needs to be playing at 10 to make it worthwhile having him in the team so buying Ozil would just disrupt the plan for the team in the medium to long term.

Playing Ozil wide right probably isn’t going to solve many problems either.

Surely there is a player out there who will do a job on the right side for us, are the club scouts doing their job? I know you aren’t going to identify a Neymar every day but surely a solid performer could be found in the next month.

• Advertisement

Who do you want gsp :)

Ehhhhhhhh can’t think of anyone really. God I haven’t really had anyone in mind for weeks.

In all seriousness I’ve nothing against Ozil I just don’t see him coming here and not sure what we’d do with him as he plays on the left for Arsenal when I see him. I’d just love a proper winger who beats people and crosses the ball.

As much of a talented player he is buying Ozil would make the 89 million spent on Pogba look silly. The level he operates at in a midfield 2 isn’t anything special, he needs to be playing at 10 to make it worthwhile having him in the team so buying Ozil would just disrupt the plan for the team in the medium to long term.

Surely there is a player out there who will do a job on the right side for us, are the club scouts doing their job? I know you aren’t going to identify a Neymar every day but surely a solid performer could be found in the next month.

Pogba doesn't operate as a number 10.

He's far more effective, in my opinion, playing more as a box to box midfielder who also happens to have a fantastic range of passing and creativity. He's definitely better when picking up the ball deeper.

Ehhhhhhhh can’t think of anyone really. God I haven’t really had anyone in mind for weeks.

In all seriousness I’ve nothing against Ozil I just don’t see him coming here and not sure what we’d do with him as he plays on the left for Arsenal when I see him. I’d just love a proper winger who beats people and crosses the ball.

Ya I agree with you about the right winger but I'd still like to sign oil just to see what Jose does with it. He is a cracking player when on form and seems to hitting the heights again recently

If we can get Ozil for €25-30m are people really going to be against that!!

Even out ride right he will be far more effective than Mata for me. People think he hasn't got pace but he is deceptively quick, not as much as your traditional down the line winger but as a playmaker he doesn't need that. Modern football nowadays is more about the full back pressing up into the space that a wide attacker cutting in creates. Ozil seems slow but that is merely because he nearly always has his head up looking for the outlet or pass to play.

astradave wrote: »

Watched a YouTube video of his highlights the other day.

Looks good at kicking the ball and running after it quickly.

Disagree with Pogba at 10. Needs to be able to play and run from deeper. Like he played vs Everton, left side of a midfield 3. He wasn't playing number 10.

Watched a YouTube video of his highlights the other day.

Looks good at kicking the ball and running after it quickly.

The next Kevin kilbane? Sign him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If we can get Ozil for €25-30m are people really going to be against that!!

Even out ride right he will be far more effective than Mata for me. People think he hasn't got pace but he is deceptively quick, not as much as your traditional down the line winger but as a playmaker he doesn't need that. Modern football nowadays is more about the full back pressing up into the space that a wide attacker cutting in creates. Ozil seems slow but that is merely because he nearly always has his head up looking for the outlet or pass to play.

its just throwing another player into the team with no real shape or team identity.
    we need a solid system and players who fit that system. i just dont see ozil suiting our team whatsoever

I'd argue that there wouldn't be much in it comparing the 2 sets of 3 considering Pogba has had 2 more years of developing both physically and footballing wise. I think Pogba and Ozil dictating play with Matic sitting deeper could very well be a very good combination. Pogba and Matic are monsters who should be dominating area's physically. I think a lot of people don't watch Ozil and think of him as this luxury No.10 who just sits idle waiting for the ball. One of his most effective traits is actually linking play to upfront from deep in a quick transition.

You're comparing Matic, Pogba in a midfield 2 and Ozil vs Pirlo, Vidal and Pogba in a midfield 3. It's a huge difference. Pirlo is one of the best ever deep lying playmakers and one of the most intelligent players to ever play. Matic might be stronger and more physical but Pirlos reading of the game is another level. Then you've got Vidal who was probably the best CM in the world at the time and capable of taking over a midfield even without Pirlo and Pogba there. Compared to Ozil who's a luxury player who does nothing off the ball imo. Then, you've got Pogba playing in his correct position vs what we have at United. Never mind the fact Juve had Marchisio to play there too.

Yes, it's lightyears apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's far more effective, in my opinion, playing more as a box to box midfielder who also happens to have a fantastic range of passing and creativity. He's definitely better when picking up the ball deeper.

It is a number 10 in almost everything but name, he needs close to zero defensive duties. Furthermost of a midfield 3 is probably the most accurate way to describe the position he needs to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pogbas best season at Juve he was essentially a no. 10

His best games for United he’s also played further forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lukker- wrote: »
    Pogbas best season at Juve he was essentially a no. 10

His best games for United he’s also played further forward

Not quite true. Unless.....

Would you consider iniesta to have been played as a 10 maybe?

Pogba is an 8, has to played that way to get the best out of him, not unlike iniesta at Barca when they played Sergio, xavi and iniesta as the midfield 3

At juve he played in a 352 generally as the left sided central midfield player.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Disagree with Pogba at 10. Needs to be able to play and run from deeper. Like he played vs Everton, left side of a midfield 3. He wasn't playing number 10.

The point is if he plays where you say on the left of all 3 there isn't going to be a number 10 so in effect he's taking up the space for a 10. Your looking at the formation too rigidly . Being the mist attacking midfielder in a 433 is basically a number 10 anyway . He's going to roam all over the pitch in an attacking sense and not stick to a certain area of the pitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Dries Mertins would be a good fit for the attacking right but he's pushing on and will be 31 in May

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United do need a new 10 and can still play three in midfield.

Ideally you would want a style that is not rigid, where players of quality can move around to link up or take advantage of spaces they find.

So what if your '10' is asked to play from right or left in a notional formation? Its not 1985 GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Slightly off topic, but the Nottingham Forest/Arsenal game, it's very entertaining..

If it wasn't for the Dortmund curse, I'd love Pulisic. Young, extremely talented and would be an immediate improvement anyway. Adding in that he's American and probably the star of their team for the next 10-15 years, and the marketing potential is huge. He's an United fan too just to make it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but the Nottingham Forest/Arsenal game, it's very entertaining..

I have a soft sport for Forest, for my sins :o:o Well done to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »

I think based on the last few games it’s a 4-3-3 with the inverted triangle
    ———-Matic———
    —-new guy pogba—

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Dries Mertins would be a good fit for the attacking right but he's pushing on and will be 31 in May

Mertens has never got a right side inform card that I can remember? And he only has a 28 million release clause he would be an excellent zlatan replacement because he is totally different to lukaku....

But we don't need him we have the kids.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I’ve been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all day. Goofy gets himself into all sorts of trouble. I’ve been told I’m not allowed watch football because he wants to watch his “Cro-crammes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I have a soft sport for Forest, for my sins :o:o Well done to them.

Beauty of a second goal for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’ve been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all day. Goofy gets himself into all sorts of trouble. I’ve been told I’m not allowed watch football because he wants to watch his “Cro-crammes”.

Get a tv in the bedroom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Turn off Liverpool' TV then

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Get a tv in the bedroom!

I’m about to embark on a complete renovation and a play room downstairs is in the design. It’ll start off as a playroom for the kids to go watch tv but when the kids are grown it’ll be my man cave where I go to shout at people playing football on the tv. For now I’ve only one working tv as the house is a wreck. Freezing too. Many a reason why I’m looking forward to the work starting.

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Turn off Liverpool' TV then

Is that not The History Channel?

I’m about to embark on a complete renovation and a play room downstairs is in the design. It’ll start off as a playroom for the kids to go watch tv but when the kids are grown it’ll be my man cave where I go to shout at people playing football on the tv. For now I’ve only one working tv as the house is a wreck. Freezing too. Many a reason why I’m looking forward to the work starting.

Don't forget to run Cat 6 cables. I put a hdmi in the wall along with electric cable where I planned to hang the TV when doing an extension. 99% of the time Nick Jr is on it. Leaves me free to watch football in (relative) peace in the other room.

Liverpool and Arsenal fans will get a good look at Lemars balance and movement, he's on Dancing on Ice. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just saw on Faceache, this day 11 years ago Henrik Laarson scored on his debut for us.

Had completely forgotten he had ever played for us, what a ledge.

Don't forget to run Cat 6 cables. I put a hdmi in the wall along with electric cable where I planned to hang the TV when doing an extension. 99% of the time Nick Jr is on it. Leaves me free to watch football in (relative) peace in the other room.

I’m an electrician by trade so I’m actually going to be wiring it myself and I’m going to be running a few cat 6 to each room. Been reading up on best way to future proof the house and feed multiple rooms with hdmi picture from one sky box. It’s tough to find the answers.

Sorry to be so off topic. If it helps it’s so I can watch United in multiple rooms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement