Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

titan18 wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the Dortmund curse, I'd love Pulisic. Young, extremely talented and would be an immediate improvement anyway. Adding in that he's American and probably the star of their team for the next 10-15 years, and the marketing potential is huge. He's an United fan too just to make it better.

The yanks are dreaming of him at Real
    Who ever gets him could control the american market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

irishman86 wrote: »
    The yanks are dreaming of him at Real
    Who ever gets him could control the american market

I think Weigl would be a better fit for us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

With talk of playing 3 in the centre I was wondering if we would be better off pushing matic up a little forward as the box to box and buying a deep lying playmaker like a pirlo xavi type in front of the back 4 or

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I think Weigl would be a better fit for us

In fairness they are 2 completely different types of players. Could do with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Pulisic is just all hype and noise especially with him been American has anybody who's saying we should sign him actually watched much of him?

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Pulisic is just all hype and noise especially with him been American has anybody who's saying we should sign him actually watched much of him?

I watched a decent amount of games he's played in and think there is a lot more than just hype and noise.

I'd prefer a more experienced player but wouldn't have any problems if he was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

According to The Sun (massive pinch of salt), Antoine Griezmann will demand £400,000-a-week to snub Barcelona and join Manchester United from Atletico Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

yabadabado wrote: »

I watched a decent amount of games he's played in and think there is a lot more than just hype and noise.

I'd prefer a more experienced player but wouldn't have any problems if he was signed.

Fans complain about Rashfords form lately he is streets ahead of pulisic. He has a whole 3 goals and 1 assist this season he's nowhere near good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    According to The Sun (massive pinch of salt), Antoine Griezmann will demand £400,000-a-week to snub Barcelona and join Manchester United from Atletico Madrid.

Very likely he's doing what lots of players are doing at the moment flirting with one club's interest to improve his contract with another.
    Fans complain about Rashfords form lately he is streets ahead of pulisic. He has a whole 3 goals and 1 assist this season he's nowhere near good enough

Dortmund under Bosz were absolute turd. Cannot really use any of their player's current form/stats as a stick to beat them with. The team as a whole was woeful.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Very likely he's doing what lots of players are doing at the moment flirting with one club's interest to improve his contract with another.

Yeah according to the article,
    United have now been told their initial wage offer of £290,000-a-week is way short of what Griezmann wants.

He is asking for an extra £100,000-a-week MORE than that now, after seeing the huge sums other stars have gone for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Griezmann is not worth that level of money. Couldn’t care less if he gets it but doubt Unuted would be that silly. And genuinely doubt Griezmann is demanding that much.

Dortmund under Bosz were absolute turd. Cannot really use any of their player's current form/stats as a stick to beat them with. The team as a whole was woeful.

A.K.A. doing The Ronaldo.

'You send your agent in, you put the rumours out.
    You do a little sulk and you shake it all about.

You do The Ronaldo where the future is in doubt
    That's what it's all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m an electrician by trade so I’m actually going to be wiring it myself and I’m going to be running a few cat 6 to each room. Been reading up on best way to future proof the house and feed multiple rooms with hdmi picture from one sky box. It’s tough to find the answers.

Sorry to be so off topic. If it helps it’s so I can watch United in multiple rooms.

This actually reminds me. I'm using wifi around the house, to my gaming PC. While it's good and strong, its AC band, nothing beats ethernet. I've 360mbps I'm sweating to burn through on this PC :D

What sort of $$ would I be talking to have someone run Cat6 from downstairs living room upstairs to my PC, either internally ran or externally? I'm absolutely special when it comes to manual labour/working with my hands :'(

TheDoc wrote: »
    This actually reminds me. I'm using wifi around the house, to my gaming PC. While it's good and strong, its AC band, nothing beats ethernet. I've 360mbps I'm sweating to burn through on this PC :D

What sort of $$ would I be talking to have someone run Cat6 from downstairs living room upstairs to my PC, either internally ran or externally? I'm absolutely special when it comes to manual labour/working with my hands :'(

Have you tried using home plugs?
    Be a lot less hassle and be much cheaper, get a set for around €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Did you consider Power line adaptors? Uses the cables within your walls into to send the internet packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah was on them when they first came out and used them for years. Current house I'm in though is so old a build they won't work here at all. Not that I mind, Wifi AC is a pretty good tech and I've all my own third party stuff, but actually just need to pull the finger out and get ethernet into my main PC.

I do some streaming and youtube stuff here and there, but I'm one of those that hates just not having the max of internet speed, so want to bump that download all the way :D

6945481194.png

GSPfan wrote: »
    Griezmann is not worth that level of money. Couldn’t care less if he gets it but doubt Unuted would be that silly. And genuinely doubt Griezmann is demanding that much.

That's why I said the bit in bold. It's an astronomical amount to be asking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah was on them when they first came out and used them for years. Current house I'm in though is so old a build they won't work here at all. Not that I mind, Wifi AC is a pretty good tech and I've all my own third party stuff, but actually just need to pull the finger out and get ethernet into my main PC.

I do some streaming and youtube stuff here and there, but I'm one of those that hates just not having the max of internet speed, so want to bump that download all the way :D

6945481194.png

Have you tried a new modem with an extended range? My house ain't big but crap signal upstairs so I bought a fancy Asus cabel modem with something like 50 meter range it's the business have constant vpn running threw that and high speed all over the house... to watch mutv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did you consider Power line adaptors? Uses the cables within your walls into to send the internet packages.

I use those and have a switcher hub behind the TV cabinet and anything that needs internet there is hardwired through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What wages was Falcao on when we signed him.

£400,000 is mad money as that would be his entry level wage there wouldn't be room to offer a sustainable increase when renegotiations would happen in a few years.

What wages was Falcao on when we signed him.

£400,000 is mad money as that would be his entry level wage there wouldn't be room to offer a sustainable increase when renegotiations would happen in a few years.

Falcao, according to the link below was on £265,000 a week when he was signed. God I wished his loan move worked out better than it did, but hey ho circumstances.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11068678/Radamel-Falcao-to-earn-265000-per-week-as-Manchester-United-pay-24-million-for-season-long-loan.html

I'm all for the club shelling out to get who they want, but I saw the £400,000 and thought surely Griezmann/his people can be talked down a bit.

What's Pogba earning a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I use those and have a switcher hub behind the TV cabinet and anything that needs internet there is hardwired through it.

But yet you forget a remote control hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

:pac: how the hell would the Sun, of all publications, get details of the inner dealings of a contract offer when not one other place is reporting it..

They also have a habit of exaggerating everything.. wasn’t it Pogba was going to cost us 120m according to them..

It’s not even by Neil Ashton, who would have a tiny(I mean tiny) bit of reliability.. it’s by Daniel Cutts who is a spoofer to the extreme, this is one of Mediawatch from F365 on him a while ago
    Online gubbins ahoy
    His own Twitter bio admits that his job is ‘Online Gubbins @TheSun’; while he largely tweets about wrestling rather than football, and yet Daniel Cutts is the man behind The Sun’s rabid output of online football exclusives.

This Thursday morning he is the brains behind an outstanding claim that ‘MANCHESTER UNITED boss Jose Mourinho is eyeing a record £170m swoop for Tottenham star Harry Kane’.

An ‘Old Trafford source’ has apparently told Cutts, presumably in between discussions about the latest RAW, the inside information about a British record transfer…

“The club had asked about Kane’s availability a few years back. They were told by Spurs there was no chance. Jose is a big fan and is very interested.

“Zlatan Ibrahimovic will move on next summer, more than likely, freeing up a load of cash they plan to use.

“The problem for United is the money could get to a ridiculous level. It’s going to be more than Kylian Mbappe.

“It’s money they can lay their hands on but it will be interesting to see what Levy’s stance on the whole thing will be.”
    Is this the same ‘Old Trafford source’ that told Cutts that Chris Smalling ‘will now be sold during this transfer window to free up extra cash as Mourinho eyes defensive replacements’, or the same ‘Old Trafford source’ who told him ‘Gareth Bale is being lined up as Wayne Rooney’s replacement’? We presume it is the same ‘Old Trafford source’ who told him ‘Manchester United chiefs have resurfaced a private road into their training ground to protect their stars’ multi-million-pound fleet of luxury motors’, which is our very favourite Manchester United exclusive from Daniel Cutts.

The most ridiculous thing about Daniel Cutts and his ‘online gubbins’? Within a few minutes of him hitting publish…

‘Manchester United plotting £170m swoop for Tottenham’s talisman Harry Kane’ – Metro.

‘Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho plots £170m bid for Tottenham star Harry Kane’ – Express

‘Jose Mourinho wants Harry Kane in £170m deal to partner Romelu Lukaku at Man Utd – report’ – Daily Star.

It’s not ‘news’ fellas, it’s online gubbins. That’s what the man himself says anyway.

Well I did use the phrase massive pinch of salt when I posted it at 00:40 this morning :pac:

Note to self, check who wrote it next time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Falcao, according to the link below was on £265,000 a week when he was signed. God I wished his loan move worked out better than it did, but hey ho circumstances.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11068678/Radamel-Falcao-to-earn-265000-per-week-as-Manchester-United-pay-24-million-for-season-long-loan.html

I'm all for the club shelling out to get who they want, but I saw the £400,000 and thought surely Griezmann/his people can be talked down a bit.

What's Pogba earning a week?

Pogba earns 175k a week

Actually it was 165k a week and a 36k a week increase if utd won europa league so he is on 201k a week now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Really thought it was 200-225k

• Hococop wrote: »
    Really thought it was 200-225k

I'd go higher again. Lots of sources giving varying different figures.
    It's not actual public knowledge though is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd really have no problems paying Griezmann that tbh. He's a tier one talent, and has interest from more attractive clubs than us, to be frank. If thats what he needs to ply his trade for us, so be it. We're not going to catch up with City by penny pinching...

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba earns 175k a week

I thought it was that he started off on 175k last season but moved up a lot after the first year of the contract.. thought I read that but can’t be certain

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd really have no problems paying Griezmann that tbh. He's a tier one talent, and has interest from more attractive clubs than us, to be frank. If thats what he needs to ply his trade for us, so be it. We're not going to catch up with City by penny pinching...

I don't think anyone in world football earns nearly half a million a week (Maybe Messi or Ronaldo?)
    It's madness all the same!

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd go higher again. Lots of sources giving varying different figures.
    It's not actual public knowledge though is it?

Yep it is. There was a book release in germany gave exact figure

I don't think anyone in world football earns nearly half a million a week
    It's madness!

Before or after tax?

A quick search says Ronnie and Messi are on roughly 350k post tax. Neymar is probably similar, thanks to the Parisians. There's one or two of the Chinese players doing well for themselves.

But the money levels have very clearly gone up in recent years, and if I'm Griezmann's agent, I'd be arguing that whoever pays his release clause will be getting him at a significant discount compared to his market value, and he'd be entitled to a bump in wages to financially benefit from that as well.

I don't think anyone in world football earns nearly half a million a week (Maybe Messi or Ronaldo?)
    It's madness all the same!

Tevez was on 800k a week in china, has since gone back to boca.

Neymar earns half a million, think oscar does as well

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Before or after tax?

A quick search says Ronnie and Messi are on roughly 350k post tax. Neymar is probably similar, thanks to the Parisians. There's one or two of the Chinese players doing well for themselves.

But the money levels have very clearly gone up in recent years, and if I'm Griezmann's agent, I'd be arguing that whoever pays his release clause will be getting him at a significant discount compared to his market value, and he'd be entitled to a bump in wages to financially benefit from that as well.

Good thing he doesn’t have an agent so.. :D

astradave wrote: »
    Good thing he doesn’t have an agent so.. :D

Really?

Doubley so then.

"Usually you'd have to pay an agent fee, an inflated transfer fee, etc. In this deal, it's just me, so I'd like a nice pay cheque please".

I still can’t believe this is actually being discussed on the back of a Daniel Cutts “exclusive” :pac:

Only 2 days into the 10 day break and boards is going loco :D

I still can’t believe this is actually being discussed on the back of a Daniel Cutts “exclusive” :pac:

Well, we could start a debate on whether it's Jose's fault it's freezing outside if you'd rather :pac:

Not guilty your honour

:pac:

Well, we could start a debate on whether it's Jose's fault it's freezing outside if you'd rather :pac:

Pffft of course it’s joses fault... (edit bad joke is bad) :D

Jackson(who has lost a lot of Credibility since Moyes days and doesn’t have many sources anymore) saying that we ain’t going for Ozil.. so it’s defo on!

https://twitter.com/JamieJackson___/status/950304742130974720?s=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

To be fair this will probably be Griezmann’s last major contract/club because at the money he is looking for you’d need him to commit to 5 years plus an optional extra year for the club and he is 26.

My only concern is how well La Liga form translates to the premier league, for 400k a week you need a very special player.

• Advertisement

Pffft of course it’s joses fault... (edit bad joke is bad) :D

Jackson(who has lost a lot of Credibility since Moyes days and doesn’t have many sources anymore) saying that we ain’t going for Ozil.. so it’s defo on!

https://twitter.com/JamieJackson___/status/950304742130974720?s=17

Gotta love the way he covers his ass in that tweet. As bad as Ballague.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hoping the break to Dubai this week acts as a good team bonding exercise. Be good to start the season with a high morale and belief.

I saw Jones ,yet again, was in the papers talking of the belief and respect the players have for Mourinho.
    Can't quote at the moment.

I know I've said it before but Jones has been doing so many interviews this year its crazy. Each week seems to be articles out with his comments. The new face of United? I hope so :P

Oh the game against Stoke (which would've been moved has Stoke progressed in the FA Cup) remains as originally intended, Monday January 15th, 20:00 kick off.

Is this the first time this season United have been live on the Monday night game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

There's a balance between spending as we are, and catching up to city by not penny pinching because we aren't paying a lad 400k a week.

There's an argument to be made that that's how it's gone now, but equally, I'd like for the club to be run in a responsible manner. I can't see how paying someone per week, more than an average worker earns in ten years can be seen as financially responsible, when he is one of 20-25 first team players.
    Really?

Doubley so then.

"Usually you'd have to pay an agent fee, an inflated transfer fee, etc. In this deal, it's just me, so I'd like a nice pay cheque please".

Yeah I think it's a family member that takes care of that side of things for him.

refusing to pay a player 400k a week after signing him for 100m would hardly be considered penny pinching. Considering we broke the world recored for pogba and give him 165k a week, rising to 200k if we made champions league, an offer of similar to griezemann would be about right and also a massive increase in his wages as well

Harry Kane has made the first murmur of leaving Spurs. Via The Telegraph "Spurs may start winning trophies if I am to stay".

He'd cost nearly the price of a flat in Dublin. :) So I reckon Madrid will pull some financial magic to sign him as Levy will add his special "United tax" if we even hinted at wanting to sign him.

Harry Kane has made the first murmur of leaving Spurs. Via The Telegraph "Spurs may start winning trophies if I am to stay".

He'd cost nearly the price of a flat in Dublin. :) So I reckon Madrid will pull some financial magic to sign him as Levy will add his special "United tax" if we even hinted at wanting to sign him.

As much as I love Kane and I know many here since he first started reaking out have been calling for us to make the move I'm not sold that it's the case the papers are saying.

They are paraphrasing, it would seem, to make the statement more impactful and blunt.

Kane did say:
    “I’ve always said, just keep progressing, keep getting better, We want to start winning trophies so that’s the aim. As long as the club keeps doing that then I’m happy here.”

That to me just comes across as he meant as long as the club keeps showing the ambition and direction of progress, not the "Spurs may start winning trophies if I am to stay" that papers are selling. He's contracted until 2022, and though he said he's unaware of any negotiations Spurs will surely increase his £100'000 a week salary to keep him happy.

I suppose this is the point where people bookmark this to laugh at me when I'm proven wrong but I do not see him leaving Spurs until he's 27/28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is Ibra still on his massive wage or was it reduced when it got extended for a second year?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is Ibra still on his massive wage or was it reduced when it got extended for a second year?

I remember a good chunk was taken off it back in August but don't know if that has changed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

It's definitely been reduced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement