Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    As much as I love Kane and I know many here since he first started reaking out have been calling for us to make the move I'm not sold that it's the case the papers are saying.

They are paraphrasing, it would seem, to make the statement more impactful and blunt.

Kane did say:

That to me just comes across as he meant as long as the club keeps showing the ambition and direction of progress, not the "Spurs may start winning trophies if I am to stay" that papers are selling. He's contracted until 2022, and though he said he's unaware of any negotiations Spurs will surely increase his £100'000 a week salary to keep him happy.

I suppose this is the point where people bookmark this to laugh at me when I'm proven wrong but I do not see him leaving Spurs until he's 27/28.

what ever the spin is that is put on it - it brings me back to the point that I can't for the life of me work out why Spurs show such utter disdain for the league cup.

I get it is a lower priority than anything else, but when you've won nothing I don't get why you wouldn't be trying your best to win anything going.

I personally think that any trophy is a great first step for a squad in terms of building hunger and belief. I think the Europa League last season was a big moment for some of the players and will prove to be a stepping point in their career.

I get Kane would want to win more than the league cup, but surely he'd like to foookin win it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

With any supersalary there has to be some safe guard. Imagine paying so much for a player who turns out not be any good. If a player gives 100% then I would be happy to see them paid a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Discodog wrote: »
    With any supersalary there has to be some safe guard. Imagine paying so much for a player who turns out not be any good. If a player gives 100% then I would be happy to see them paid a lot.

if a player doesn't ever give 100% he should be immediately shipped out of the club

• bangkok wrote: »
    if a player doesn't ever give 100% he should be immediately be shipped out of the club

What? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So we just got yeovil away in FA Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Yeovil Town away in the FA

Lowest ranked team left. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Relatively quiet Jan (no midweek game the next three weeks) though it is just before Spurs aways. Expect a relatively strong side.

Guaranteed this one will be on tv too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There's the answer to our midfield problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Never forget that injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

S.M.B. wrote: »
    There's the answer to our midfield problem.

You may not be serious but still...

It may be an unpopular opinion but people still vastly overrate any kids at their football club. Do we want to rule Europe or not? Because we won't do it if we turn to the likes of Possebon, McTominay, Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah.

There is always a place for good players coming through the ranks, but no, they are not the answer to that problem of not having the same quality of players as many of our rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It may be an unpopular opinion but people still vastly overrate any kids at their football club. Do we want to rule Europe or not? Because we won't do it if we turn to the likes of Possebon, McTominay, Pereira, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah.

There is always a place for good players coming through the ranks, but no, they are not the answer to that problem of not having the same quality of players as many of our rivals.

I couldn't help myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Was I being serious about 28 year old Possebon, who's now playing in Vietnam after struggling to make the grade in Portugal, Italy and Brazil, being the answer to our midfield problem?

No, no I wasn't.

Something tells me he wasn't been serious....

Jose post a video of warm weather training camp

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bds6HIvAt_3/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So we just got yeovil away in FA Cup
    Yeovil Town away in the FA

Lowest ranked team left. Happy days

Step on up Mr. Ander Herrera to repeat this goal?

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/950452955316195330
    Happy with that FA Cup draw, #MUFC fans?

It brings back fond memories for @AnderHerrera...

jayo26 wrote: »

That rain is warm though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

jayo26 wrote: »

Is that Jose's personal instagram account or managed by someone else?

Please say the latter :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is that Jose's personal instagram account or managed by someone else?

Please say the latter :(

Few times it's cropped up, it strikes me it's usually his daughter running it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

If United did sign Kane he wouldn't be partnered with lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Neil Custis: "Fellaini has told Jose that he won't be signing a new contract as he wants a new challenge".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Neil Custis: "Fellaini has told Jose that he won't be signing a new contract as he wants a new challenge".

Off with him so,replace him with a CM that can actually play ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Adamocovic wrote: »

I couldn't help myself :pac:

Had to be done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Boards fecked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Off with him so,replace him with a CM that can actually play ball

Fairplay to him. Done enough to prove all the mouth breathers who booed him wrong and scored some of the most important goals in the club's recent history. Always gave everything and outperformed multiple players signed to replace him.

The idea that he is some sort of clogger who can't pass is silly as well considering the most ardent disciple of a passing game(LVG) was won over by him over a Spanish supposedly technically gifted midfielder. Though I did always think they made a very good duo in front of Carrick.

• Can't believe some lads think we are signing Kane!
    Lukaku is the primary striker. He's only been signed in the Summer.
    It's possible a striker may be purchased but only as backup.

On Kane; I suspect Real Madrid will hammer Spurs with dosh in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Liam O wrote: »
    Fairplay to him. Done enough to prove all the mouth breathers who booed him wrong and scored some of the most important goals in the club's recent history. Always gave everything and outperformed multiple players signed to replace him.

The idea that he is some sort of clogger who can't pass is silly as well considering the most ardent disciple of a passing game(LVG) was won over by him over a Spanish supposedly technically gifted midfielder. Though I did always think they made a very good duo in front of Carrick.

A rose tinted view... surely, he was never a " fit " for us and he is right to move on, he needs regular game time for the world cup and he wasn't going to get it at United. Good luck to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

secman wrote: »
    A rose tinted view... surely, he was never a " fit " for us and he is right to move on, he needs regular game time for the world cup and he wasn't going to get it at United. Good luck to him.

Who said he was leaving now? The word is that Jose is willing to let him run down his contract as he wants him in the squad for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Boards fecked?

^^See Notices :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^^See Notices :P

No notices on touch ;) smart shîte! :D

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/950637704802390016

PSG's asking price for Lucas Moura is €40m, according to Le Parisien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

€40m in the current climate would be ok. Though I've never been totally convinced by him and would prefer Mahrez. Think he'd be far better at cutting in which is paramount with Valencia there.

Should say though after seeing what direct pace hound wingers in Sterling and Salah have pulled off this season a player like Lucas could have an effect on stretching defenses a bit more.

I think Kane has a great attitude in his pursuit to be the best (ala Ronaldo) but I'm not sure he'd cut it at somewhere like Madrid.

Transfer spend by the top 6 clubs since City were taken over in 2008.

Arsenal: ......................£444,515,000
    Chelsea: ......................£924,559,000
    Liverpool: ....................£657,450,000
    Man City: ..................£1,261,300,000
    Man United:................. £811,650,000
    Tottenham: ..................£548,650,000

• Advertisement

• Transfer spend by the top 6 clubs since City were taken over in 2008.

:eek:

That’s without the VVD and Keita transfers for Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Did someone say Strootman was coming good again?

Per Sky ~ Roma need funds to afford Darmian and Strootman was one of the ones they are willing to listen to offers for.

I think Kane has a great attitude in his pursuit to be the best (ala Ronaldo) but I'm not sure he'd cut it at somewhere like Madrid.

Why do you say that? Kane is probably one of the best strikers in europe right now and is very level headed. Where ever he goes he will be a huge success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If that's true then I'd hope a cm is bought this month. Fellaini and Carrick most likely gone in the summer so 2 CMs needed be good to get one in this window considering the problems in that area this season.

• Advertisement

City have spent a whole arsenal more then us

The amount of wastage in what United spent is unreal.

Di Maria being the poster boy of that.

bangkok wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Kane is probably one of the best strikers in europe right now and is very level headed. Where ever he goes he will be a huge success

Too white tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

City have spent a whole arsenal more then us

To be fair none of those clubs have any excuse. If you spend 444 million you should be able to buy a team good enough to compete for the next ten years.

Ridiculous cash spent by all.

• The amount of wastage in what United spent is unreal.

Di Maria being the poster boy of that.

At the time it still was a top class singing. His form prior to signing for us was world class stuff. I remember him in his CL winning season for Real.
    Just didn't work out because of his own laziness / attitude and possible because of LVG but who knows for sure.
    I would class the wastage going towards spunking money on way too many squad players.

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair none of those clubs have any excuse. If you spend 444 million you should be able to buy a team good enough to compete for the next ten years.

40mil per season, or there abouts, wouldn't have been massive spending in 08, never mind now.

I just don't buy your arguement.

Based on that logic, the more you spend the more capable you should be of competing. Which I agree with.

But that means the average league table over that time frame should be:

City.
    Chelsea.
    United.
    Liverpool
    Tottenham.
    Arsenal.

So, Arsenal have spent 400+ and you feel that should have them competing, but there are clubs that have spent twice or three times that amount, so should be significantly better off.

The dreaded net spend figure though would also be interesting. Liverpools money spent would be offset quite a bit by some very big sales. Same with Spurs (Bale and Walker would account for about 25% of those purchases). United are generally poor at selling (though Ronaldo I think would be in that figure, i dunno) so I would say the net spend of United is even bigger proportionally.

United have wasted some amount of money.

Too white tbh

Jesus :pac:

Mr.H wrote: »

To compete? Not really especially when the 5 teams above you are spending more..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wait till next summer when the rest of the so called big 4/5/6 go stone mad spending money to try and catch up to City,

Off topic,Anyone watch the BT Sport documentary Sunday evening No Hunger in Paradise? Well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Too white tbh

Too white for the Los Blancos?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement