Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Re-signing Zlatan was worth it even to have him around the dressing room as the number of experienced top class pros on uniteds books isnt what it was.

For fellas to watch him train etc was worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    After an absolute dud season last year.

I'm still not sure if he is the real deal or a flash in the pan player. World and its mother hardly scrambling after him. I'd say there is reservations over attitude and application there.

Also he would drown in a Mourinho team, he is incredibly lazy in terms of his defensive work and I genuinely don't think he would work out under Mourinho at all with the defensive,tracking back requirements.

No more so than mata or ozil who is linked with us. Mahrez would thrive in a better team imo

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is he available and at what price?
    I'd be shocked if he didn't cost close to 50m, has had one good season in EPL and is doing good so far this year.

I'd have no problem signing Mahrez but lucas seems to be the player Jose wants if papers are to be believed(they don't lie!)

He was available for 40m in the summer so id say you could get him for 35-40 this month and he can play champions league

TheDoc wrote: »
    But he's not awful.....

Neither is james ward prowse but you wouldnt spend 25m on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

bangkok wrote: »
    Neither is james ward prowse but you wouldnt spend 25m on him...

We'll see him bought for that price next summer now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness that has the updated figures.. if it was Zerks it would probably have the ones from last year

He'd have pound shillings and pence figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

So somebody already mentioned it then??

Is he cup tied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    We have made a punt on way too many duds. We need a clear plan ahead and be very direct in that plan. I would rather spend 30-40m on proven quality rather than take a punt on another player

Depends on what the plan is for buying him, imo.

If we are expecting him to be the final piece of the attack and change things up dramatically - he may not be the right signing (neither would Mahrez though, I guess) and we would probably need to spend a much great sum on him.

If Jose 'just' wants a quick winger who can offer something different to the squad, to provide us with a plan B, to rotate with Mata as a very different option for the attack - maybe Lucas is worth a 'punt'.

It could be Lucas is being looked at as an addition to the squad, where we don't have a similar option, and thus the requirements (and budgets) are different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Afaik, There was talks a few days aback that Mahrez' price is up to 55m now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamocovic wrote: »
    We'll see him bought for that price next summer now :P

Think pool have enough loyalty points saved up to get him for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Can't see how Lucas fits unto Mourinho's hard working ethos. Miky is gonna be shown the door, Memphis already was, would Lucas not likely follow a similar path ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Defeatist and all that but I'm kinda glad we aren't up against City tonight would be two rough games to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

#bringbackzerks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah, where is Zerks anyways?

Lithium93_ wrote: »

He is gone.... good ridance is all ill say.

Probably stuck in 2016 unfortunately.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Probably stuck in 2016 unfortunately.

I heard he is stuck in Lanzarote... He went on holidays and turned up two days late to catch his flight home.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is gone.... good ridance is all ill say.

Z dead baby z's dead

Z dead baby z's dead

Who got his chopper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Butch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can't see how Lucas fits unto Mourinho's hard working ethos. Miky is gonna be shown the door, Memphis already was, would Lucas not likely follow a similar path ?

Miki will be gone because he has been brutal, the same as Memphis, the same as Schneiderlin etc.

Nothing to do with their work ethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Depends on what the plan is for buying him, imo.

If we are expecting him to be the final piece of the attack and change things up dramatically - he may not be the right signing (neither would Mahrez though, I guess) and we would probably need to spend a much great sum on him.

If Jose 'just' wants a quick winger who can offer something different to the squad, to provide us with a plan B, to rotate with Mata as a very different option for the attack - maybe Lucas is worth a 'punt'.

It could be Lucas is being looked at as an addition to the squad, where we don't have a similar option, and thus the requirements (and budgets) are different.

Someone compared him to Nani earlier but I don’t see it at all myself from what I remember of Lucas. He had more in common with Valencia than Nani and remember thinking I didn’t know what all the fuss was about when he wa been heavily linked with Utd and others for mad money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I heard Zerks got a 7 month ban for kicking someone in the chest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would rather see us going for Rabiot or Pastore [ more attacking ] for the middle of the park.Never overly impressed with Moura

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would rather see us going for Rabiot or Pastore [ more attacking ] for the middle of the park.Never overly impressed with Moura

I feel if we're going for a 25m option at RW, it's because Jose wants to buy multiple players and is thus making sure he has the cash to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If we're looking at PSG wingers, we should be looking at Guedes. He's been one of the best players in La Liga this year imo, and will be a star. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Lucas Moura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

For 25 million (which is hardly gonna be the price) Lucas is definitely worth a go, pretty much zero downside and a potential huge upside.

He had all the potential in the world when he joined PSG. I said at the time if he had joined and worked under Fergie he could have developed into one of the best in the world, he really did have that much potential. He is still a good player, to me him choosing PSG and the money option ahead of working with one of the best at developing young attack minded players said a lot about him mentally. That was some time ago now though and I wouldn't be opposed to him coming in, he can commit players he has a bit of trickery about him and his pace would be a welcome addition to the squad.

He would be coming in with a lot to prove in terms of winning me over, but for the money mentioned there is no drawback to the deal imho.

I think it may be a fee paying loan Mourinho would like with an 5 or so up front with option to purchase for further 20/25 in the summer if all parties agree. Leaves everybody wiggle room too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

titan18 wrote: »
    If we're looking at PSG wingers, we should be looking at Guedes. He's been one of the best players in La Liga this year imo, and will be a star. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Lucas Moura.

Doubt PSG would let him go tbh. He has looked a prospect since he came through at Benfica and also to be honest he is a left winger/wing forward though he can do a job on the right or even playing just off the striker.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Lucas had bags of potential before he went to PSG. He never seems to have kicked on tho and now he is 25 doubt he will ever live up to that early hype. £25m would actually be good value which is hilariously rare nowadays.

He fits the bill being a pacey RW option for us. That will address the largest deficency in our squad.

I'm still doubtful if it will happen but if it does its an excellent deal for us. If it doesn't its not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Riyad Mahrez didn’t just have “one good season”. He had a Player of the Year award winning season the likes rarely seen. You are all either downplaying it purposely or just not realising how good he was.
    Last season he was not as bad as people think as the entire team underperformed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There's probably a reason he's 25m, ala Sweinmeister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If people are slating Mahrez for an indifferent season after winning poty does that mean they'd pass on Hazard too ? He was brutal the season Chelsea struggled after winning the Premiership. I'd take Mahrez in a heartbeat over Moura. Premiership proven, no gamble. I'd also keep Fellaini too if possible. For people who think he's doesn't fit in with the Utd way that's garbage. I remember Fergie buying Dion Dublin back in the day. There's always an option if all else fails and we need a plan B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd like to see Mourinho go the 4-3-3 route more often which gets the best out of our best outfield player.

It means sacrificing one of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 we play so often, but those positions have are our main weakness. We're constantly chopping & changing those 3 (Mhiki, Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Ibra) and I'd say that lack of consistency of selection is hampering all of them as much as anything.

An upgrade on Herrera with a quality box to box midfielder and an outstanding right winger and we're well equipped to play both. Hopefully we can address both of those area's either now or in the Summer.

Also, I see zero point in gambling on Lucas at this stage. Mata, Mkhitaryan, Lingard have all shown that they are capable, but not consistent. Maybe Lingard can make the step up now. Either way, I'd rather not replace one of them with another punt and be stuck in the same situation in 12 months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

J. Marston wrote: »
    City are gonna do the quadruple with an unbeaten season.

Not a hope!

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Not a hope!

I agree........ seen as they got beaten by shaktar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree........ seen as they got beaten by shaktar.

VlgXG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not liking this Lucas Moura talk, he's the Brazilian Walcott. Tons of speed with zero football IQ.I'd rather wait for the summer and go to Pulisic. He is versitile, can play on the right but he really can play anywhere across the front and over time I think he'll settle as a 10.
    Definitely not a pure winger type and young legs and enthusasm are really what makes him versatile. Wide right is where he's gotten most of his start wth Dortmund this season and he's been tearing it up.
    In many ways, he'd the ideal signing for us. His mentality also is perfect for United and Mourinho, he works very hard on the pitch and he's extremely competitive and wants to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hard to believe he is 26 this year, definitely hasn’t lived up to the hype and Walcott is probably a very good comparison.

I would take him if he is what Jose wants but also be well aware that there is a good chance he will be labeled dead wood in a season or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hands up who wants another number 10? From Dortmund?

No offence to anyone who likes the idea of a number 10 being brought in but id rather play a 433. Get Pogba in a midfield 3 and play a front 3 mix of Lukaku Rashford Martial and Lingard. Get me a midfielder to play the Pogba role on the other side of the midfield 3 and id be much happier.

The 4231 formation Jose always reverts to just doesn’t seem to compliment what we have.

The Malcolm lad we see the odd rumour of any good? I wouldn't be sure about Moura either but for 25m, maybe.

• Advertisement

The Malcolm lad we see the odd rumour of any good? I wouldn't be sure about Moura either but for 25m, maybe.

I wouldn't have a problem on gambling on Lucas at the end of the day we need something on the right with pace and directness. Lucas can do that it's just wether he can do it consistently is a mystery.

I haven't seen much of Malcolm but was watching a ligue 1 show on bein sport last week they did a feature o him and he seems to have a great attitude and has the right people around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Star (yeah,I know) are claiming Madrid have received a bid of £84 million from an unnamed club for Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Star (yeah,I know) are claiming Madrid have received a bid of £84 million from an unnamed club for Bale.

Is that like a lucky dip? Take the offer, only to find you have to pop off to play in Azerbaijan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

GSPfan wrote: »
    Hands up who wants another number 10? From Dortmund?

No offence to anyone who likes the idea of a number 10 being brought in but id rather play a 433. Get Pogba in a midfield 3 and play a front 3 mix of Lukaku Rashford Martial and Lingard. Get me a midfielder to play the Pogba role on the other side of the midfield 3 and id be much happier.

The 4231 formation Jose always reverts to just doesn’t seem to compliment what we have.
    Lingard needs to play centrally imo. Twice the player there as he is on the wing where he is very isolated and provides pressing in areas other players don't or are incapable of. I wouldn't class squaring up and taking on players out wide his strength like it would need to be but has a quick turn of pace through the middle that can unbalance defenders and a very good finisher in those positions. Wasted out wide imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

12 years ago today, Patrice Evra signed for the club.

26196275_10156420685635982_6350614233031008511_n.jpg?oh=6a26348a7b9694b307a4e15c1a56b380&oe=5AB50024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    Lingard needs to play centrally imo. Twice the player there as he is on the wing where he is very isolated and provides pressing in areas other players don't or are incapable of. I wouldn't class squaring up and taking on players out wide his strength like it would need to be but has a quick turn of pace through the middle that can unbalance defenders and a very good finisher in those positions. Wasted out wide imo.
    In a couple of recent games we've operated with lingard basically running anywhere. Starting wide one side, swapping to the other or going centrally. Where ever the space has been. I wouldn't be adverse to the front players being given the freedom to switch it up, as long as they are not stupid about it.

I don't think that nominally starting him from a wide position would be a problem.

26196275_10156420685635982_6350614233031008511_n.jpg?oh=6a26348a7b9694b307a4e15c1a56b380&oe=5AB50024
    Well fcuk. Now I feel old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Starman

• Never Forget :D

CriminalPepperyGallowaycow-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Not bad stats..

"Lucas Moura last season: 53 apps, 19 goals, 11 assists. 115 minutes per goal & assist.

His production has improved every year, despite limited game time. Moura has averaged just around 11 goals & 11 assists the last 4 years. A goal or assist every 142 minutes."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement