Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's often the standard of discourse in here.

Its not that complicated.

Step 1: Post wrong information
    Step 2: Deny ever saying the wrong information
    Step 3: Take offence.

Like if I said Cristiano Ronaldo was the best Spanish player United had I would expect to be called on it.

I personally would then admit my mistake, however, If I then tried to claim that I said he was better than any Spaniard at the club despite clearly not having said anything like that I would similarly expect to be called on it.

No "offence" or "woe is me" required. You can't make a mistruth true by claiming you never said the mistruth. This isn't a conversation. The posts are clear to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Still no word , that I've noticed regarding our loanees, unless an injury happens I'm thinking we're not recalling anyone.

Also seeing a lot of rumours that Wilson will be put out on loan to Sheffield United. Sadly looks like he will fail to live up to the promise. I do feel bad for him, if he hadn't of gotten injured in 2015 he would have been the one given the chance and who knows how it all would have gone.

Mad sometimes how football works. Rashford stepped in and never looked back. Still I'll stupidly hold out hope this loan finally works well for him and he can come back a new player pushing for a position, he has been unlucky with injuries. I know most have given up on him but just my opinion.

Edit: Actually was it a case of him missing out because he was just loaned out before we got hit with injuries? Can't remember fully.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Still no word , that I've noticed regarding our loanees, unless an injury happens I'm thinking we're not recalling anyone.

Also seeing a lot of rumours that Wilson will be put out on loan to Sheffield United. Sadly looks like he will fail to live up to the promise. I do feel bad for him, if he hadn't of gotten injured in 2015 he would have been the one given the chance and who knows how it all would have gone.

Mad sometimes how football works. Rashford stepped in and never looked back. Still I'll stupidly hold out hope this loan finally works well for him and he can come back a new player pushing for a position, he has been unlucky with injuries. I know most have given up on him but just my opinion.

Edit: Actually was it a case of him missing out because he was just loaned out before we got hit with injuries? Can't remember fully.
    I believe he was injured for the Europa match, so was Will Keane.

Our academy seems to have major issues with strikers. Keane, Wilson, Rossi all scoring for fun but all suffer awful injuries that stop them progressing to the senior stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's often the standard of discourse in here.

To moan about people thanking other peoples posts? Do people get on to you for always thanking those kind of posts with the same posters regularly? Does this make you sad? ;)

What I think you constantly mistake for people "ganging up" on you (for example) is that you have an opinion that is contrary to the opinion of the majority of posters and maybe that is something that irritates you? Again, I dunno.

There have been and still are plenty of lads in here through the years who are well able to argue their point even if they are paddling a lone canoe in terms of how many people share that opinion, they don't get ridiculed or pissed off either. It really comes down to your own posting style I guess how you will be perceived or responded to on thread. There is always the possibility someone will look to have a cheap joke at your expense, but this is again a bye product of a public forum on the internet.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I do believe that Andreas has said he wishes to stay at Valencia for the season and doesn’t want to be recalled..

pjohnson wrote: »
    I believe he was injured for the Europa match, so was Will Keane.

Our academy seems to have major issues with strikers. Keane, Wilson, Rossi all scoring for fun but all suffer awful injuries that stop them progressing to the senior stage :(

Yeah it's mad some of the promise that have come through the youths and get hit with big injuries.

Didn't it happen last season to Wilson where he returned after a nasty injury. Still only 22, but man I was so optimistic about him. He seemed like the real deal to me. I'll be interested to see how he gets on if moving to Sheffield.

astradave wrote: »
    I do believe that Andreas has said he wishes to stay at Valencia for the season and doesn’t want to be recalled..

Can't blame him really. He's getting regular football with a side challenging for 2nd place against Madrid!

I just hope it's a case that he does come back, and if so is given opportunities. Valencia have made it clear they'll be looking to keep him so I imagine they will make a move in the summer for a permanent contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    Linked with a move for johnny evans along with city and arsenal. Should never have been sold

Says the poster who was mad keen to use Jonny Evans as the makeweight in a deal for John Stones.

Can't blame him really. He's getting regular football with a side challenging for 2nd place against Madrid!

I just hope it's a case that he does come back, and if so is given opportunities. Valencia have made it clear they'll be looking to keep him so I imagine they will make a move in the summer for a permanent contract.

If he doesn't return now and we sign another midfielder his United career would be in doubt. He'd be further down the pecking order than when he left.

• Advertisement

Says the poster who was mad keen to use Jonny Evans as the makeweight in a deal for John Stones.

giphy.gif
    Andy-Dwyer-Shock.gif

If he doesn't return now and we sign another midfielder his United career would be in doubt. He'd be further down the pecking order than when he left.

I really don’t think he cares about that, he seems very happy in spain

astradave wrote: »
    I really don’t think he cares about that, he seems very happy in spain

I think he cares a lot about playing time and pecking order. He explained back in November in an interview his reasons to go out on loan when José wanted him to stay at the start of the season.
    “I wasn't going to be a starting player at United this season.
    I felt that by coming here I would play more minutes.
    By playing I'll get better, I'll evolve.

That is better than being on the bench where I get frustrated and it starts to work against me. Here, I'm playing, I'm happy and I'm getting better.
    People see that, United see that, and it will help me, Valencia and Manchester United.
    If I go back then I'll be a better player. I'm under pressure here, but in a positive way."

I didn't like the "If I go back" bit. He did also say he had a good relationship with José.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Haha enjoyed some headlines today with "Mourinho will cease war of words", love that phrase war of words, not sure why.

I'd imagine he is probably piping down based on Conte likely to burst him at Old Trafford, and probably realising he'll look pretty stupid if we lose to them.

I think he cares a lot about playing time and pecking order. He explained back in November in an interview his reasons to go out on loan when José wanted him to stay at the start of the season.

I didn't like the "If I go back" bit. He did also say he had a good relationship with José.

Plenty here seem to have a hard on for him. Like most of our academy players to appear in the first team, for about 10 years, pretty meh about most and not overly excited. Apart from Pogba who everyone knew about, the kid Chong that I see a bit on MUTV that looks an absolute player, it's the exception rather than the rule I get excited about a youth prospect from our academy quickly.

He's been ok when I've seen him, but hasn't blown me away. Feels like its just fan clamour to have academy graduates playing in the first team. A good squad option, possibly, but would question anyone seriously putting him forward as a first XI solution?

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Haha enjoyed some headlines today with "Mourinho will cease war of words", love that phrase war of words, not sure why.

I'd imagine he is probably piping down based on Conte likely to burst him at Old Trafford, and probably realising he'll look pretty stupid if we lose to them.

I do enjoy the rewording form the media all the same.
    They frequently fail to state the story accurately as per below;

Jose indicated he doesn't want to act the clown on the touchline. Not directly aiming at anyone buy then again it's up to interpretation and we know Jose is throwing out the seed for any Pigeons silly enough to bite.

The media immediately implies Jose is talking about Conte and questions Conte at his press conference stating this and Conte immediately jumps on it directly says Jose has Senile Dementia which is as personal as it gets. It's a really ****ty thing to say.

Jose reacts and says he will never be done for match fixing. ****ty in it's own right but again dropping return mic bombs is what Jose does best.

Conte Turns around and says it's gotten personnel :P

Every-time I hear it on the radio they continue to leave out the point in bold and they word it as if Jose said directly to Conte he's a clown.

I just feel there is context in it and how the media sells the story. It's blockbuster stuff all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

TheDoc wrote: »

Some journos fault it started anyway by feeding Conte with misinformation. Media got what they wanted tho.

Plenty here seem to have a hard on for him. Like most of our academy players to appear in the first team, for about 10 years, pretty meh about most and not overly excited. Apart from Pogba who everyone knew about, the kid Chong that I see a bit on MUTV that looks an absolute player, it's the exception rather than the rule I get excited about a youth prospect from our academy quickly. He's been ok when I've seen him, but hasn't blown me away. Feels like its just fan clamour to have academy graduates playing in the first team. A good squad option, possibly, but would question anyone seriously putting him forward as a first XI solution?

Don't want to sleep with him just think he's a young talented footballer who has been holding his own ground for the last two season in La Liga, now with a team challenging at the top.

I do admit I'm guilty of being a fan who loves seeing youths making their way through the ranks but that's partly due to the history we have of developing youth players and the success of our youth squads.

But on Pereira again, I may be biased, but he just turned 22 a couple of days ago, has 50 caps and 6 goals in Spains top flight, worked his way from squad rotation player to starter at Valencia who are looking like securing CL football, also doing brilliantly in Copa Del Rey (secured their place in the quarter final yesterday). Also he was a regular in the Brazilian youth setup when he switched from Belgium and scored in the U20s world cup final, despite the loss.

Not to mention the skill he has. Most games with United he was touch and go at times but he always showed the skill he possessed, now in Valencia he has been improving other aspects of his game and looks even more promising.

As for whether he's good enough to start, only one way of finding out in my mind. I certainly would not be against letting him start some games and prove he deserves a spot.

Plenty here seem to have a hard on for him. Like most of our academy players to appear in the first team, for about 10 years, pretty meh about most and not overly excited. Apart from Pogba who everyone knew about, the kid Chong that I see a bit on MUTV that looks an absolute player, it's the exception rather than the rule I get excited about a youth prospect from our academy quickly.

He's been ok when I've seen him, but hasn't blown me away. Feels like its just fan clamour to have academy graduates playing in the first team. A good squad option, possibly, but would question anyone seriously putting him forward as a first XI solution?

Squad players are needed. Squad players nowadays will cost us around 30 - 40m so if we already have a squad player why not save us the money?

The whole first XI argument always annoyed me. How many players have United had that have come through the academy and may technically have never been in a first XI but have been valuble to the club time and time again? The likes of Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Wes Brown etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Just a little feedback on this forum from a blow-in who just comes in every now and then but doesnt really post. I was going to post this so many times but thought whats the point but im so bored of it now that i thought i would give the feedback and move away from this thread completely.

There is a theme in this forum every time bangkok posts anything. No matter what it is that they post there are other posters, who i wont name but they know exactly who they are, who love to jump on it and give themselves virtual high fives for getting one over on bangkok.

Im glad he said it today because ive been thinking for a long time its school playground stuff.

Just some feedback from a blow in who is now blowing back out. Slán.

Don't want to sleep with him just think he's a young talented footballer who has been holding his own ground for the last two season in La Liga, now with a team challenging at the top.

I do admit I'm guilty of being a fan who loves seeing youths making their way through the ranks but that's partly due to the history we have of developing youth players and the success of our youth squads.

But on Pereira again, I may be biased, but he just turned 22 a couple of days ago, has 50 caps and 6 goals in Spains top flight, worked his way from squad rotation player to starter at Valencia who are looking like securing CL football, also doing brilliantly in Copa Del Rey (secured their place in the quarter final yesterday). Also he was a regular in the Brazilian youth setup when he switched from Belgium and scored in the U20s world cup final, despite the loss.

Not to mention the skill he has. Most games with United he was touch and go at times but he always showed the skill he possessed, now in Valencia he has been improving other aspects of his game and looks even more promising.

As for whether he's good enough to start, only one way of finding out in my mind. I certainly would not be against letting him start some games and prove he deserves a spot.

hahah

Ah I know what you mean, just seen a few suggestions about people saying to play him ahead of Ander in a mid 3 or out wide on the right and I'm like, really....

Although I'd question if bringing him back to sit on the bench or miss matchday squads is really an ideal situation for him. Don't blame him for not wanting to rush back to this manager considering what he is, and prioritising first team football and maybe a different environment at the moment.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t mind us trying out. 442 diamond against stoke on Monday, using the fullbacks for width maybe something like this:

Lukaku-Martial
    Lingard
    Pogba-Herrera(Fellaini)
    Matic
    Shaw-Jones-Smalling-Valencia
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

chris445 wrote: »
    Just a little feedback on this forum from a blow-in who just comes in every now and then but doesnt really post. I was going to post this so many times but thought whats the point but im so bored of it now that i thought i would give the feedback and move away from this thread completely.

There is a theme in this forum every time bangkok posts anything. No matter what it is that they post there are other posters, who i wont name but they know exactly who they are, who love to jump on it and give themselves virtual high fives for getting one over on bangkok.

Im glad he said it today because ive been thinking for a long time its school playground stuff.

Just some feedback from a blow in who is now blowing back out. Sl

That's all well and good, but you can see exactly the reason why, today is a perfect example. Moving the goal posts completely to suit himself and not admit he was wrong.

Its also not all the time, bangkok is a well regarded contributor by almost everyone on thread, even if he argues against contrary opinion at times. No harm in that, nobody wants a complete circle jerk.

And like a whisper in the wind our mysterious wanderer disappears from the thread forever.

I know Mods don't like us talking about stuff like this, so hopefully I get enough of the ball to avoid a yellow but I would agree that there are some posters here that it seems throughout the years a reputation or opinion has been formed about them and people tend to take that into account more so than the content of the post.

At the same time I'm fairly certain the same posters are greatly appreciated in the thread. Bangkok being one. Sometimes it does feel like he gets put under more scrutiny than others but that's just my opinion.

In forums like this well be getting posters who constantly find themselves on different sides of arguments, just natural that a slight competition or rivalry may begin. During the Rooney days I definitely made it clear where I stood and boy did I have a busy time here :pac:

Anyways safe travels

hahah

Ah I know what you mean, just seen a few suggestions about people saying to play him ahead of Ander in a mid 3 or out wide on the right and I'm like, really....

Although I'd question if bringing him back to sit on the bench or miss matchday squads is really an ideal situation for him. Don't blame him for not wanting to rush back to this manager considering what he is, and prioritising first team football and maybe a different environment at the moment.

Yeah haha sorry first line was just an awful attempt at humour by me.

It will be interesting how his career goes. Last two years it's been progressing a lot. This year even more so. I think a lot just want him back because of fear he'll be sold permanently and end up doing great things.

Speaking of which, I know was always going to happen with the buy-back clause, but I always forget we had Pique in our squad haha!

Yeah haha sorry first line was just an awful attempt at humour by me.

It will be interesting how his career goes. Last two years it's been progressing a lot. This year even more so. I think a lot just want him back because of fear he'll be sold permanently and end up doing great things.

Speaking of which, I know was always going to happen with the buy-back clause, but I always forget we had Pique in our squad haha!

Wasn't awful, genuinely laughed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I disagree.

Matic, Pogba and Lingard ahead of him in varying positions.

Carrick hasn't been seen this season, Pereira could be ahead of him.
    Fellaini is likely to be leaving at the end of the season, Pereira could be ahead of him.
    Herrera has been poor this season, Pereira could be ahead of him.
    McTominay isn't as good as Pereira, Pereira would be ahead of him.

I firmly believe in Pereira had stayed, he could have become a regular for United.

EDIT: Misread the post, sorry. My general comments on his position stand, but that isn't what you were saying. Sorry.

If Jose wants him back and he doesn't want to or refuses to come back you'd imagine that'll be the end of him weather he is good enough or not

If Jose wants him back and he doesn't want to or refuses to come back you'd imagine that'll be the end of him weather he is good enough or not

It's a tricky one.

José didn't want him to go in September but they talked and eventually he was given the go ahead. He did say he has a good relationship with José, probably aided by the fact they both speak Portuguese.

Also on Andreas, he can play central roles but most of his games this year have come from playing on the right or left of a four man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/951114022916689921

James Wilson has joined Sheffield United on loan for the remainder of the 2017/18 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Please come back :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

You could of just named me I don't mind.

Bangkok is a regular contributor that I have said many times I enjoy a lot of his posting and even tho I dont agree with alot of it he actually puts up an argument most of time unless he suddenly realised he is wrong then just goes silent :)

#bangkokisvile

See the latest is sevila are after reporting united to UEFAfor not allocating enough tickets and have announced they will also subsidise there own fans tickets after United upping the price.

Should add an extra bit if bite to the game if nothing else.

jayo26 wrote: »
    See the latest is sevila are after reporting united to UEFAfor not allocating enough tickets and have announced they will also subsidise there own fans tickets after United upping the price.

The funny thing is Seville have a higher allocation than United, so if they are subsidising the same amount, it is costing them more than if they had reduced the price they were charging United fans.

As for the allocation - I thought they had been offered but not taken the allocation they were due, but that mustn't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Its not that complicated.

Step 1: Post wrong information
    Step 2: Deny ever saying the wrong information
    Step 3: Take offence.

Like if I said Cristiano Ronaldo was the best Spanish player United had I would expect to be called on it.

I personally would then admit my mistake, however, If I then tried to claim that I said he was better than any Spaniard at the club despite clearly not having said anything like that I would similarly expect to be called on it.

No "offence" or "woe is me" required. You can't make a mistruth true by claiming you never said the mistruth. This isn't a conversation. The posts are clear to be seen.

I don't think he took offence. Regardless, you could have just acknowledged his mistake (although it could be argued it wasn't, depends on how you interpret what he said) and debated the rest of his post. The cheerleaders could have done likewise, instead of posting gifs and scoring some points.
    To moan about people thanking other peoples posts? Do people get on to you for always thanking those kind of posts with the same posters regularly? Does this make you sad? ;)

I'm not moaning at all. If I read a post I agree with, I often thank it. If I don't agree with it, I won't.
    What I think you constantly mistake for people "ganging up" on you (for example) is that you have an opinion that is contrary to the opinion of the majority of posters and maybe that is something that irritates you? Again, I dunno.

There have been and still are plenty of lads in here through the years who are well able to argue their point even if they are paddling a lone canoe in terms of how many people share that opinion, they don't get ridiculed or pissed off either. It really comes down to your own posting style I guess how you will be perceived or responded to on thread. There is always the possibility someone will look to have a cheap joke at your expense, but this is again a bye product of a public forum on the internet.

I haven't made any remark about people ganging up on me, my input was relating to bangkok.

It doesn't irritate me or bother me at all. I just find it petty and unnecessary. I think it lowers the standard of the forum if posters are more interested in getting a few digs in at someone they perceive to be an easy target rather than actually having a proper discussion. That these digs are then regularly applauded by the usual suspects is disappointing.

IThe cheerleaders could have done likewise, instead of posting gifs and scoring some points.

Boo-hoo.

If he doesn't want us having a giggle at his penchant for moving the goal-posts then he should quit doing it.

EDIT: I also posted my full thoughts on why selling Evans was not a mistake - contributing to the discussion that was being had, in addition to having a laugh at Bangkok shifting the goalposts.

The funny thing is Seville have a higher allocation than United, so if they are subsidising the same amount, it is costing them more than if they had reduced the price they were charging United fans.

As for the allocation - I thought they had been offered but not taken the allocation they were due, but that mustn't be the case.

I thought it was something to do with security concerns or something they were given reduced allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭limnam

Ah don't go.

You seem like the craic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/SevillaFC/status/951093422827425793

Sevilla have announced they too will be subsidizing their fans tickets for when they travel to Old Trafford now.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SevillaFC/status/951093422827425793

Sevilla have announced they too will be subsidizing their fans tickets for when they travel to Old Trafford now.

Are you zerks in disguise ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So..... adidas just leaked/tweeted Dybala’s a United player

Forgot to add the picture

The old accidental on purpose advertising again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I may have missed it, but for those happy to take a punt on Moura, how do you feel about the fact it will mean less games for Martial and Rashford?

But could it be true in this window especially

I may have missed it, but for those happy to take a punt on Moura, how do you feel about the fact it will mean less games for Martial and Rashford?

They dont play much on the right wing though isnt that where'd he be played?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Will it mean much/any less time for those two?
    I would think it will be Mata's and Miki who miss out mostly.
    Rashford and Martial haven't made 5 appearances on RW between this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Forgot to add the picture

Surely a fake.

I mean, I hope not, but not believing that at all.

Surely a fake there is another tweet from yesterday that should be most recent Instead of that one on the 8th.. unless it was yesterday they made the mistake but surely more would of been made of it by now.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Surely a fake.

I mean, I hope not, but not believing that at all.

I’m in the same boat but still said I’d share it

Surely a fake there is another tweet from yesterday that should be most recent Instead of that one on the 8th.. unless it was yesterday they made the mistake but surely more would of been made of it by now.

Dunno how your Twitter works but on mine it would be exactly like that

Edit: just checked their twitter, the one above the 20s one is a pinned tweet

Edit2: looking at that pic, if that is a fake it’s an amazingly well done fake..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement