Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'd say it's fake, haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere else other than here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Challenge is spelt wrong... fake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

or else it was some liverpool supporter working in twitter having a bit of a laugh to get utd fans excited

bangkok wrote: »
    or else it was some liverpool supporter working in twitter having a bit of a laugh to get utd fans excited

Are you implying that Liverpool fans can’t spell?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Dunno how your Twitter works but on mine it would be exactly like that

Edit: just checked their twitter, the one above the 20s one is a pinned tweet

Edit2: looking at that pic, if that is a fake it’s an amazingly well done fake..

The tweet about Japan is not there that's what I mean

Screenshot_20180110-214002.jpg

I may have missed it, but for those happy to take a punt on Moura, how do you feel about the fact it will mean less games for Martial and Rashford?

Lucas plays on right? How many times have the mentioned two played on the right this year? If it was going to effect any one it would be Mata and miki more so then Rashford or Martial.

Did you ever have a look in the liverpool thread?? :)

giphy.gif

Dare iz noting rong wit baad speling and gramar,

• Advertisement

I love how they leave out keywords just to get the extra clicks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Had a question and thought this was the best place for it - how are Man United getting round pricing rules in their plans to raise ticket prices for Sevilla fans to subsidise their own players?

I was under the impression that a club couldn't increase prices just for away fans - it would have to be a very similar price to other comparable tickets bought by home fans.

I believe Sevilla plan to increase prices for a few different sections to get around these rules. Are Man United doing the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suprised we havent got rid of Mhiki yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SevillaFC/status/951093422827425793

Sevilla have announced they too will be subsidizing their fans tickets for when they travel to Old Trafford now.

Man, this makes them look really bad for not climbing down on their ridiculous pricing in the first place.

It's basically down to normal ticket prices to both sets of away fans with some administrative work for both sides.

The club did a good job of having the right outcome one way of another.

For anyone thats embarrased by he performance against city recently under Jose the 2011 home derby is on sky to remind people it was never all perfect or even close to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A good clue to when things are fake; it's not a screenshot but a grainy picture of a screenshot. That lets the creator be sloppy on his photoshop. If its real, there'd be dozens of proper screenshots of it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I may have missed it, but for those happy to take a punt on Moura, how do you feel about the fact it will mean less games for Martial and Rashford?

I don't think it necessarily has to mean much less game time for anybody, could do with relying less on Lukaku up top and rotate the lads with him as well. Neither of them are any use from the right either tbh and particularly in the case of Rashford, taking him out of the spotlight now and then would be no harm at all. He is still so young, I wouldn't see Moura as a long term fix at all either but if he could add something for cheaps I'd have no issue with it at all. Plenty of games to go around the second half of the season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

jayo26 wrote: »
    For anyone thats embarrased by he performance against city recently under Jose the 2011 home derby is on sky to remind people it was never all perfect or even close to it.

Just watched it. Awful performance all round. Few pîssed off faces staring at De Gea after a couple of the goals. Feels likes age ago.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Suprised we havent got rid of Mhiki yet

Considering how poorly he is playing, gonna be hard to get a club to spend 25-30m on him and clubs that do what him (inter) cant afford him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lucas plays on right? How many times have the mentioned two played on the right this year? If it was going to effect any one it would be Mata and miki more so then Rashford or Martial.

I don't see why people dismiss the thought so quickly. Its a given that Mkhitaryan will lose out on games and no doubt Mata also, though perhaps not as many as people think considering they offer something a little different to the likes of Martial and Rashford.

But a common request in here was to see Martial and Rashford both playing, and they have done so a number of times. If Moura plays as a regular right winger then the chance of both playing diminishes, that just seems logical?

Then there is Lingard. If Moura claims a spot then the chance of Lingard playing left or central increases, in turn also diminishing chances for Martial and Rashford.

Mata, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Mkhitaryan all fighting for spaces behind Lukaku. Add Moura to that and there will be less gametime for the two kids, that seems like a fact of life.

So my only point was this. I would call as loud as anybody to increase the quality of that first team, if a Bale or Griezmann was coming then I wouldn't give a toss about Rashfords gametime. But it isn't Bale, its a punt for reasonable money. Ok, fair enough. But the league seems to be gone, and I would be confident that despite our problems we should still be able to get 2nd with what we already have. So why take a punt when it could affect the development of two young players without really making a massive difference to our season?

We need better attacking quality, I am all for that and if Jose thinks this is a good move then thats fair enough, I just wondered why that particular knock-on effect seemed to be such a non-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

One player who could be a good fit for the right sided midfield role is Yannick Carrasco.

He has played most of his games for Athletico Madrid this season from the left hand side but he is also very familiar with playing from the right hand side particularly for the national team.
    He is a tall athletic player who is not afraid to track back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't think it necessarily has to mean much less game time for anybody, could do with relying less on Lukaku up top and rotate the lads with him as well.

That would be the preferred scenario, but it doesn't seem likely either. I think Zlatan is done but to me indications are that when Lukaku is fit he will play, just like Zlatan last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    #bangkokisvile

Or me
    #Bangkokisvile
    #friendsinTurin
    #brotherworksatCarrington
    #hasthespecialJuansDadonspeeddial
    #Fellainishaggedabirdhefancied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:
    Did you ever have a look in the liverpool thread??

Shots fired
    Gwan my son...
    Daddy's got your back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

One player who could be a good fit for the right sided midfield role is Yannick Carrasco.

He has played most of his games for Athletico Madrid this season from the left hand side but he is also very familiar with playing from the right hand side particularly for the national team.
    He is a tall athletic player who is not afraid to track back either.

This guy's going to be a superstar. I'd say we'd end up paying mental money if we went for him but i wouldn't mind. Can play anywhere along the front and as an old fashion winger too.

• Advertisement

To be fair, he is again used predominantly as a left sided winger, can play anywhere in attack alright as need requires and is very good but if he is going to be a superstar he may want to get a move on ;) Sure he must be 24/25 at this stage! The biggest thing I remember from when he was being linked with Chelsea and having a strop last year was that they mentioned he had missed games due to tendinitis in left knee....I got serious Hargreaves flashbacks and would be a little wary

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

To be fair, he is again used predominantly as a left sided winger, can play anywhere in attack alright as need requires and is very good but if he is going to be a superstar he may want to get a move on ;) Sure he must be 24/25 at this stage! The biggest thing I remember from when he was being linked with Chelsea and having a strop last year was that they mentioned he had missed games due to tendinitis in left knee....I got serious Hargreaves flashbacks and would be a little wary

He’s 24. Was the tendinitis not in his heel? Remember something about that last year.. I’d stay clear of that either way tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have you ever been to Liverpool,they can barely speak English,let alone write,it's like a dolphin with a throat infection when they talk.

Have you ever been to Liverpool,they can barely speak English,let alone write,it's like a dolphin with a throat infection when they talk.

I used to go out with a girl from Liverpool, I’m deaf and rely on lip reading mainly.. you can guess how that one ended up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

IT would likely mean more games for Mata and Mhiki. Moura plays on the right exclusively.

Jose has shown a reluctance to play both Rashford and Martial together on either flank, so not sure what real tangible impact it will have on their playing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

United's old guard have reasons to be proud

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2018/Jan/manchester-united-old-guard-in-defence-like-smalling-jones-and-valencia-have-reasons-to-be-proud.aspx

Nice little read.
    In Manchester United's recent win at West Bromwich Albion, it was notable that the back five was made up of players who have been at the club for some time, having all been signed by former manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

While the observers who obsess about transfers may object to seeing so many long-serving stars in the line-up, it is a testament to the players' durability and character that David De Gea, Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Ashley Young all remain as vital cogs in the United machine.

Also some stats.
    FIVE STALWARTS AT THE BACK

Antonio Valencia - Signed: 30/6/2009. Appearances: 312.

Chris Smalling - Signed: 7/7/2010. Appearances: 268.

David De Gea - Signed: 1/7/2011. Appearances: 296.

Phil Jones - Signed: 1/7/2011. Appearances: 184.

Ashley Young - Signed: 1/7/2011. Appearances: 183.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    That stat really annoyed me at the time, in terms of it being fecking stupid.

Of the players they were talking about we had:

De Gea
    Valencia
    Young
    Smalling
    Jones

De Gea was signed for the long term, and he is amazing. whats the problem?
    Valencia was signed for the long term and has been a great servent. Yes we could probably do with a new right back but it isn't the end of the world.
    Young - is playing left back cause the other purchases were injured or haven't proven good enough. Playing very well but an issue there I guess.
    Smalling and Jones were both signed as young center backs with the expectation they would be our first choice centre backs for another 5 years from now, maybe beyond. It doesn't feel like that is what is going to happen but its hardly something to cry about that we have some long serving centre backs.

It was such a stupid 'point' at the time.

That stat really annoyed me at the time, in terms of it being fecking stupid.

Of the players they were talking about we had:

De Gea
    Valencia
    Young
    Smalling
    Jones

De Gea was signed for the long term, and he is amazing. whats the problem?
    Valencia was signed for the long term and has been a great servent. Yes we could probably do with a new right back but it isn't the end of the world.
    Young - is playing left back cause the other purchases were injured or haven't proven good enough. Playing very well but an issue there I guess.
    Smalling and Jones were both signed as young center backs with the expectation they would be our first choice centre backs for another 5 years from now, maybe beyond. It doesn't feel like that is what is going to happen but its hardly something to cry about that we have some long serving centre backs.

It was such a stupid 'point' at the time.

It wasn't meant to be negative. It's from Uniteds site. Just highlighted that despite 3 different managers for United since Fergie left and all the spending and changes that have happened that it was interesting that the back 5 were all from Fergies period and that the players should be proud.

I just found the stats interesting myself as Smalling, De Gea and Jones are all relatively still young and have played so much and are now some of our more experience long serving players. Also the amount of caps De Gea has, feels like just last season he joined us, time has flew.

The whole article was about praising them. I don't see how you took any of it as a problem with them.
    It is clearly a positive in a fast-paced football world where faces on the field increasingly come and go with great regularity. These five individuals have previously won the Premier League at the club and have vital experience to pass on to newer members of the squad.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It wasn't meant to be negative. It's from Uniteds site. Just highlighted that despite 3 different managers for United since Fergie left and all the spending and changes that have happened that it was interesting that the back 5 were all from Fergies period and that the players should be proud.

I just found the stats interesting myself as Smalling, De Gea and Jones are all relatively still young and have played so much and are now some of our more experience long serving players. Also the amount of caps De Gea has, feels like just last season he joined us, time has flew.

The whole article was about praising them. I don't see how you took any of it as a problem with them.
    I get that - I was just venting my anger at the negative narrative that we saw at the time.

He’s 24. Was the tendinitis not in his heel? Remember something about that last year.. I’d stay clear of that either way tbh..

Eh, you could be right about the heel I thought the knee for some reason but haven't checked :) Maybe the Hargreaves fear is causing my brain to think of knee instead of ankle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

If we were hitting athletico up, and it wasn't griezman we were going for, would Saul niguez not be best suited for what we currently lack? Tenacious hard working midfielder who will do the box to box role to ensure pogba is more free to do his thing?

DiMarzio saying we are trying to hijack the Sanchez move.. looks like Arsenal putting it out there imo to get City to up their bid

I don't believe it.

But I also didn't believe we had put in a bid for Lukaku.

Would LOVE to see us sign Sanchez but I don't think bidding for him will make it happen. City will just offer the same or more than anything United have accepted and I see no way in hell that Sanchez then decides to pick us over City.

Mkhitaryan going to Arsenal supposedly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

DiMarzio saying we are trying to hijack the Sanchez move.. looks like Arsenal putting it out there imo to get City to up their bid

Di Marzio, Ed Aarons, FabrizioRomano all reporting it.

• Advertisement

Thinking on it though, I don't know that Sanchez would be the right signing for what we actually need.

Could Sanchez play off Lukaku, from centre or right? I don't think we need to be spending big money to replace Martial/Rashford on the left.

I dunno, this story seems unbelievable, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Meh.

To much of a headache for my liking and where would he play at utd? LW has Martial or Rashford

They are saying a bid has gone in too.. there is no way we would put in a bid without sounding out if he was interested in a move.. no way, not a hope!

I think he would be ideal in the 3 behind the striker.. the can three interchange so much it doesn’t matter where he starts tbh

Unless of course Jose is planning to go 352 and having 4 strikers for the 2 spots.. there is talk that Ibra is off to China or the mLS before the season is out..

Nah I can’t believe it.. no sireee

Thinking on it though, I don't know that Sanchez would be the right signing for what we actually need.

Could Sanchez play off Lukaku, from centre or right? I don't think we need to be spending big money to replace Martial/Rashford on the left.

I dunno, this story seems unbelievable, imo.

According to the reports we have offered him a better wage package as well and that Jose is confident of getting him

If he signs it will be either to play #10 behind Lukaku or RW.

I'm still highly skeptical, but I didnt believe the whole Coutinho Barça Jersey leaked image thing and look how THAT turned out.

According to the reports we have offered him a better wage package as well

If it came to it City will up their offer.

Sanchez would have to want to sign for us over them and I don't believe that will be the case. At this stage, why would he want to swap not winning the league at Arsenal for not winning the league at United?

On where he could play - I'm convinced he played right side for Barcelona and for Udinese.

I think playing on the left has been more an Arsenal thing rather than a Sanchez thing.

He would be another player not really offering width though, which is a consistent issue at United imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Welcome new #7

#Sevenchez

Yeah right, he will be off to City.

AS_7 wrote: »
    Welcome new #7

#Sevenchez

Yeah right, he will be off to City.

;)

We've all been here before.

I think Sanchez story is nothing more than selling papers. Don't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Where's that Jim Carrey gif when you need it. Perfect time too use it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement