Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Sanchez is a guaranteed starter every week for united. If he goes to city he will be in and out of the team such is there strength in attack. Its a great selling point and one sanchez would have thought long and hard about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

:):):)

cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/Alexis-Sanchez-Mesut-Ozil-Arsenal-778535.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    Sanchez is a guaranteed starter every week for united. If he goes to city he will be in and out of the team such is there strength in attack. Its a great selling point and one sanchez would have thought long and hard about

I'd say Wenger be thrilled to get Mhiki aswell saves trying to spunk out money on Lemar etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't believe that at all - Sanchez would be going to City with the expectation he will be a star starter for them. 100% imo.

I don't believe that at all - Sanchez would be going to City with the expectation he will be a star starter for them. 100% imo.

Who would he replace on a weekly basis? Before he got injured jesus and aguero were in and out of team each week.

Sane? Sterling? De bruyne? Silva? Cant see it to be honest. All 4 of them have been better than sanchez this season. He would be another squad player

Then he'd be stupid. None of that front three are guaranteed starters. He'll be no different.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Then he'd be stupid. None of that front three are guaranteed starters. He'll be no different.

Top level footballs... certainly not known for the ego...:rolleyes:

Sanchez would/will 100% be going to City with the expectation he will be a star player for them. I don't think for one second he is looking to sign for City and sit on the bench a lot.

Whether he is right or not doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If going by stats, Sanchez has the same amount of goals in the league as Jesse and Martial.

Albrighton and Gudmundsonn have more assists than the 3 mentioned above, but i wouldn't prefer them at the club.

Not having a pop at you, but just showing how numbers and stats can be misleading.

And just to show you how atats can be misinterpreted he may have the same goals but he has nearly 75 percent more minutes then both.

Screenshot_20180103-154435.jpg

Sanchez has picked up his form recently but by and large he is on a very poor season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

To be honest I couldn't care less about the season Sanchez has been having with Arsenal. For me it comes down to:
    - Is he extremely talented? Yes
    - Can he improve our team? Yes

That being said I still don't see us getting him and am convinced this is a nothing story.

• 273b18781656d07360aa31b5d5b00b4b318cc4eb0380e513d4e6c6e1d03f14fd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

jayo26 wrote: »
    And just to show you how atats can be misinterpreted he may have the same goals but he has nearly 75 percent more minutes then both.

Screenshot_20180103-154435.jpg

Sanchez has picked up his form recently but by and large he is on a very poor season.

100% agree.....kind of what i was trying to say. However, everyone knows Sanchez's head isn't at Arsenal this season, so to be having a very poor season and still be returning 7 goals from 19 appearances is quite good. Is form over his previous seasons with Arsenal is top drawer, in terms of goals and overall performances.

• ^ :pac: @ that Sanchez Image

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^ :pac: @ that Sanchez Image

A bit of Jones about him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Headshot wrote: »
    A bit of Jones about him

I like him already

• Advertisement

• Adamocovic wrote: »
    I like him already

If he signs I know what my new pic will be :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not signing Sanchez.

FutureGuy wrote: »

waaaaaaaaa heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

FutureGuy wrote: »

Yeay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »
    Where is shadow complex when you need him.. he must be around somewhere :D

Do we need a signal for the signal

Edit: signal not required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its on,Jose has sent for the three amigos :D

article-2411011-1B990067000005DC-758_634x556.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Signing Sanchez for me again reveals no real planning or thought going into what the hell he wants to do with the team.

Sign Sanchez (a player btw I've been massively unimpressed with in terms of his behaviour, before his contract thing became a thing, where he has all but downed tools)and throw the development and future of Rashford and Martial in total doubt

It would signal for me a total short termism from the manager, and I'd expect one of Rashford or Martial, likely Martial, to then depart the club likely in the window or two proceeding. Which would be criminal.

Again, similar to when Mourinho arrived it's looking from the club and him for expectations to the fans.

Are we trying to achieve things longer term, sorting our club out to modernise it, get talent in young coupled with ready made stars and being competitive but accepting some bumps on the way with youngsters
    Or are we throwing the kitchen sink at buying a team of ready made players ASAP to get back winning something.

IT's probably since the managers arrival being somewhat in the middle ground. Putting more barriers in front of Martial and Rashford probably signals the latter will become the new reality, likely due to a pure panic by either the club or manager by how far we have fallen behind City so quickly.

Sanchez could be played instead of Mata rather than Rashford/Martial.

On the question of Martial and Rashford being dropped, who cares, they should be playing well enough not to be dropped, having passengers in the team is the main reason we aren’t winning the big trophies. How many young/academy players is Pep playing in the league?

Lingard is playing himself into the team and I’m happy for the lad, will it last? Probably not, but that is how it should work at club like United, play well or don't play.

Well I guess if you're in my line of thinking, you are watching a player like Martial, who very clearly has every possibility of becoming a world class player, playing pretty meh under this manager with his ability not being maximised and you'd be concerned that he will likely leave the club should his gametime continue to diminish.

That's the immediate concern I'd have reading any news about approaching Sanchez, who very clearly only operates from the left channel effectively or playing as a false nine, which this manager won't ever do.

Signing him would not be for the right side, and if it was, the manager needs his head examined.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I guess if you're in my line of thinking, you are watching a player like Martial, who very clearly has every possibility of becoming a world class player, playing pretty meh under this manager with his ability not being maximised and you'd be concerned that he will likely leave the club should his gametime continue to diminish.

That's the immediate concern I'd have reading any news about approaching Sanchez, who very clearly only operates from the left channel effectively or playing as a false nine, which this manager won't ever do.

Signing him would not be for the right side, and if it was, the manager needs his head examined.

Sanchez played right for Udinese, and for Barcelona.

I do suppose we have seen the emergence of this "free roaming" player that gets slotted into the right side on a team sheet but does what they want

So I guess yeah, I can see that actually.

No one would have issues with how Sanchez has behaved at Arsenal or how he generally behaves on the pitch? I typically overlook it with Ronaldo because he is one of the best players ever, but I actually massively dislike Sanchez for his tantrums at team mates. It's passed off as "passion" and a demand for "quality" but I think he's just a moaney little prick. And he's a horrible little DIYer, which is a phrase I havn't used since I was about 16.

He just ignores team mates in better positions to try do everything himself and have the focus on him. And thats before this season where he has been an embarrassment to himself at times.

Meh don't know, no doubting his ability and the impact he would have, just think that is the sort of attitude and personality you should be weary of?

Sanchez played right for Udinese, and for Barcelona.

Yeah but been predominantly left for Arsenal. But yeah I take your point. I somewhat assume players are bought to then play in the positions that have brought them to our attention so my immediate reaction was concern for Martial, maybe that's been too hasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Most peoples attention was drawn to Sanchez when he played through the centre and on the right for Udinese, then on the right for Barca?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeah but been predominantly left for Arsenal. But yeah I take your point. I somewhat assume players are bought to then play in the positions that have brought them to our attention so my immediate reaction was concern for Martial, maybe that's been too hasty

reality is I've no clue where we would play him if we bought him.

Signing him for the left side makes no sense cause we already have two forwards out there - what we lack is a winger in the squad and I think Jose has basically said the same. But even playing Sanchez on the right doesn't solve that - we still don't have a winger.

I know we generally don't play Rashford and Martial on either wing, but I don't know if that is because Jose doesn't like them on the right or doesn't like the balance if we do that (last time we did it, over christmas, it felt like it was the balance that Jose didn't like.). Playing Sanchez instead of Mata just continues that. Sanchez does (can?) work very hard so i've no issue there, but it just doesn't feel like Sanchez solves a problem we have.

He could be played off Lukaku, similar to how Lingard has been used of late and however good Lingard had been, Sanchez is a better player - but Lingard offers more to the midfield, imo, that Sanchez would so while we would be better in attack I think we could be got at more easily without Lingard. I dunno.

I would have argued for Greizmann in the summer, and my thought was that Greizman would operate nominally from the right but play off Lukaku - with the main part of our width on the right coming from Valencia. I don't think it is impossible that Sanchez could do the same thing as what I thought we'd be buying Greizmann for. Its similar to what I imagine Pep wants him to do at City.

I actually don't know why i have written so much on this.... it ain't happening!

• Advertisement

Most peoples attention was drawn to Sanchez when he played through the centre and on the right for Udinese, then on the right for Barca?

Yeah that's actually spot on. Just dawned on me he was animal for Barca replacing MEssi on the right when he was injured.

Ignore me Martial and Rashford concern <3

reality is I've no clue where we would play him if we bought him.

Signing him for the left side makes no sense cause we already have two forwards out there - what we lack is a winger in the squad and I think Jose has basically said the same. But even playing Sanchez on the right doesn't solve that - we still don't have a winger.

I know we generally don't play Rashford and Martial on either wing, but I don't know if that is because Jose doesn't like them on the right or doesn't like the balance if we do that (last time we did it, over christmas, it felt like it was the balance that Jose didn't like.). Playing Sanchez instead of Mata just continues that. Sanchez does (can?) work very hard so i've no issue there, but it just doesn't feel like Sanchez solves a problem we have.

He could be played off Lukaku, similar to how Lingard has been used of late and however good Lingard had been, Sanchez is a better player - but Lingard offers more to the midfield, imo, that Sanchez would so while we would be better in attack I think we could be got at more easily without Lingard. I dunno.

I would have argued for Greizmann in the summer, and my thought was that Greizman would operate nominally from the right but play off Lukaku - with the main part of our width on the right coming from Valencia. I don't think it is impossible that Sanchez could do the same thing as what I thought we'd be buying Greizmann for. Its similar to what I imagine Pep wants him to do at City.

I actually don't know why i have written so much on this.... it ain't happening!

To address a concern I had that wasn't really based in reality and was being influenced by recent memory.

So I've appreciated it anyway as it's corrected me <thumbs up emoji>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

SteM wrote: »
    United are being played to get City to bid more and offer Sanchez a higher wage. No way he'd pick us over City at the moment I'm afraid.

Maybe we are the one's doing the playing.

Sanchez while not typically a winger will help balance the right side of the pitch. Unlike Mata he will actually have pace and be able to beat his full back and actually dribble past players drawing center backs out of position. Yes he will cut inside but Antonio will overlap until the cows come home and having widemen capable of pulling defences around on both sides would help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to the rags Liverpool are after him too

Discodog wrote: »
    According to the rags Liverpool are after him too

Whatever about United fitting him in - i'd be hard pressed to suggest why liverpool should go for him, at the money required, when they have a front three of Mane, Salah and Firmino.

Mata has been very good for the past while and imo is currently undroppable from the starting 11. His link up play and movement have been quality

Mata has been very good for the past while and imo is currently undroppable from the starting 11. His link up play and movement have been quality

I can see the arguement. I can also see the argument for getting a more incisive attacking direct threat there instead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah that's actually spot on. Just dawned on me he was animal for Barca replacing MEssi on the right when he was injured.

Ignore me Martial and Rashford concern <3

And this is why we respect thedoc so much.

• Advertisement

• Most peoples attention was drawn to Sanchez when he played through the centre and on the right for Udinese, then on the right for Barca?

Seems like you're getting pulled in Stringer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

FWIW (and it's probably not much), Sky have updated their story on Sanchez. It now says sky sources, rather than Sky Italia. The Sky Italia angle is that United will pay him more than City.

Again, still probably a nothing story and I wouldn't hold my breath even if we were in for him. I'm still waiting on Sky sources to give us Ramos, Benatia, Lewandowski, etc.

The FA Cup 4th round tie away v Yeovil has been penciled in for Friday, January 26th. 7:55pm kick-off live on BBC1.

Btw, 'yes please' to Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd like us to sign Sanchez if for no other reason but to piss on the chips of the city boys who think it's a foregone conclusion that he will join them.

I'd like us to sign Sanchez if for no other reason but to piss on the chips of the city boys who think it's a foregone conclusion that he will join them.

It would be something of a statement if we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It would be something of a statement if we signed him.

It was a statement when you signed Pogba wasn't it? Why you need to make another one? :pac:

Personally can't see him not going to City.

• Advertisement

It was a statement when you signed Pogba wasn't it? Why you need to make another one? :pac:

Personally can't see him not going to City.

I don't say we need to make a statement signing, but Because people are constantly pointing at United as being failures and falling further and further behind, Both on the pitch and in terms of ambition - To go toe to toe with City for a primary target a d win would serve to change that narrative.

I also see no hope in this pursuit. You b sense that 8s the overall feeling considering how people have reacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It is incredibly obvious however that Sanchez’s agent is trying to get City to up their wages with this trick.

I will eat a very large hat if Alexis Sanchez signs for United.

Demetri has completed his loan to Hearts

It is incredibly obvious however that Sanchez’s agent is trying to get City to up their wages with this trick.

I will eat a very large hat if Alexis Sanchez signs for United.

In what way?

Engaging in talks with United as a bluff or creating a non-existent story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

United being used here for more money for Sanchez, kinda like what Ramos done a few years back.

I'd be delighted to see him sign but he's a mercenary & bloating his wages is all he's up to imho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement