Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Schwanz wrote: »
    United being used here for more money for Sanchez, kinda like what Ramos done a few years back.

I'd be delighted to see him sign but he's a mercenary & bloating his wages is all he's up to imho.

I get what you are saying but it is not like the Ramos thing as Ramos flirted with us but stayed with his club. Sanchez is leaving, he just wants to make sure he gets as much as he can when he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't say we need to make a statement signing, but Because people are constantly pointing at United as being failures and falling further and further behind, Both on the pitch and in terms of ambition - To go toe to toe with City for a primary target a d win would serve to change that narrative.

I also see no hope in this pursuit. You b sense that 8s the overall feeling considering how people have reacted.

I suppose he would be the first player to reject them since................. vvd two weeks ago.

It wouldn't be any kind of statement other then we still have no balance in midfield but still signing attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In what way?

Engaging in talks with United as a bluff or creating a non-existent story?

Either or both.

City put their cards on the table, Sanchez’s agent brings united into the picture who will obviously offer him more given the circumstances, Sanchez’s agent goes back to City and says match or better United’s offer.

We could get him if City don’t play ball, but I highly doubt that, Pep needs his shiny things, one of the best players in the league last season going to a team 15 points clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Either or both.

City put their cards on the table, Sanchez’s agent brings united into the picture who will obviously offer him more given the circumstances, Sanchez’s agent goes back to City and says match or better United’s offer.

We could get him if City don’t play ball, but I highly doubt that, Pep needs his shiny things, one of the best players in the league last season going to a team 15 points clear.

Heard they have a meeting with the FA pencilled in for next week, they want teams increased from 11 a side to 14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

pjohnson wrote: »
    Demetri has completed his loan to Hearts

Ssshhh pj you're going off track!.... Focus!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

scudzilla wrote: »
    Heard they have a meeting with the FA pencilled in for next week, they want teams increased from 11 a side to 14

I’d imagine Jose will comment on it if it goes through, he will essentially be replacing Sane who has 6 goals and 9 assists in the league. Operating on a different level to us unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if sanchez is signed i cannot see him being put out on the right wing, he is not the type of player to run down the end line and stick a cross in. maybe he was in his old Udinese days but not now.

i think we would set up like this if he signed

lukaku

sanchez
    mata/lingard

pogba
    matic
    herrera/fellaini

shaw
    jones
    bailly
    valencia

de gea

2 players off lukaku allowed to roam the pitch and cause as much damage as possible going forward

also, signing sanchez is a pure short term solution, he is 29 and the way he operates at 100mph its hard to see him doing that going into his 30's, but i guess given his contract situation and the fact we have a bargaining chip with mkhitarayan, a deal for him would make sense

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bangkok wrote: »
    also, signing sanchez is a pure short term solution, he is 29 and the way he operates at 100mph its hard to see him doing that going into his 30's, but i guess given his contract situation and the fact we have a bargaining chip with mkhitarayan, a deal for him would make sense

We have the long term solutions already in Martial and Rashford, but they desperately need the pressure off them to help their development. Sanchez for a few years would be massive boons to them, and by the time Sanchez is getting ready to head off, the two young lads would be more than ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I will eat a very large hat if Alexis Sanchez signs for United.

I don't see the point in declarative statements like this, because if I wanted to I could easily get a hat made of chocolate, or made of nachos, or pizza, or any one of a wide range of tasty and filling ingredients. And if you have a chocolate hat then what happens if Sanchez doesn't sign? You eat it anyway, right? So basically I think you should stop sneak bragging about your chocolate hat and just eat the damn thing already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hahaha

• Advertisement

I don't see the point in declarative statements like this, because if I wanted to I could easily get a hat made of chocolate, or made of nachos, or pizza, or any one of a wide range of tasty and filling ingredients. And if you have a chocolate hat then what happens if Sanchez doesn't sign? You eat it anyway, right? So basically I think you should stop sneak bragging about your chocolate hat and just eat the damn thing already.

You mean you can get edible hats???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »
    You mean you can get edible hats???????

giphy.gif

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We have the long term solutions already in Martial and Rashford, but they desperately need the pressure off them to help their development. Sanchez for a few years would be massive boons to them, and by the time Sanchez is getting ready to head off, the two young lads would be more than ready.

but wasnt that what ibrahimovic was for, a couple of years at the club and then martial or rashford or both become regular starters? i think signing sanchez would be amazing, i also think that the future of Martial in particular would be up in the air quickly as i cant see him happy becoming a player from the bench, in saying that i would be extremely happy to see....

Martial

Sanchez
    mata/lingard/rashford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Nothing wrong with signing sanchez. Twenty nine is not old. He's a superb operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If we get Sanchez we should play him up top. He's better than Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mirror reporting that city don't want to meet the 15million signing on fee and 4 year 400k pw contract - while United are (or willing to get closer).

If those figures are true I can see why City would be blowing cold on that, and why Uniteds possible desperation could see Sanchez at United over city.

Kinda sad, it would be picking money at United over trophies at City... I don't like this new world.

If we get Sanchez we should play him up top. He's better than Lukaku.

Don't see Jose changing ethos and style to d r op Lukaku for Sanchez. Sanchez would be playing off Lukaku, in some way, no doubt about that imo.

Mirror reporting that city don't want to meet the 15million signing on fee and 4 year 400k pw contract - while United are (or willing to get closer).

If those figures are true I can see why City would be blowing cold on that, and why Uniteds possible desperation could see Sanchez at United over city.

Kinda sad, it would be picking money at United over trophies at City... I don't like this new world.
    400K and 4 year deal is absolutely crazy. City or anyone else are welcome to him if that's the case.

Buy a cm and a RW this window and its a good months work. There has to be plenty of realistic options available for both positions this month.

Yep a pure mercenary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

City have the league this season. Doesn't mean they will next.

If any player is a confident as you suggested Sanchez could be (earlier) he would back himself to be the difference in a title chase in another year.

While I think Sanchez is city bound, I would not be surprised to see players turn City down, the same way I was not surprised to see players turn down United over the years.

DM_7 wrote: »
    City have the league this season. Doesn't mean they will next.

If any player is a confident as you suggested Sanchez could be (earlier) he would back himself to be the difference in a title chase in another year.

While I think Sanchez is city bound, I would not be surprised to see players turn City down, the same way I was not surprised to see players turn down United over the years.

Maybe money and 'the project' are legitimate, and decent reasons fir him to pick us. Sanchez could maybe, possibly, see enough in himself, Martial, rashford, Lukaku, pogba, Matic and (HOPEFULLY) a couple of full backs to really compete with the best.

Still, you have to see city as a better bet for trophies for the foreseeable future, based on how things look to running at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd say it's City all the way for Sanchez, we may as well make them pay as much as possible.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    I'd say it's City all the way for Sanchez, we may as well make them pay as much as possible.

I doubt they will change there offer. They have no real need to either, they have nearly all the aces.

If sanchez comes to use it will be for

No1 the money
    No2 guaranteed starter every week
    No3 playing in front of a full house every week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hernandez not good enough simple as.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if its a striker we want to replace Ibra I doubt it'll be Sanchez. Out of those 3 I'd pick Vardy, probably be ok with being a squad player. Hernandez wasn't happy being a squad player and seems to have lost his pace nowadays.

No thanks to vardy he may score a few goals but he is definitely not a player i like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No thanks to vardy he may score a few goals but he is definitely not a player i like.

Who'd want goals?

I'm not a fan of him myself but I'd take him at Liverpool. Similar to Jose, I can't stand the man but he wins trophies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I'd trust vardy to score more than most

The Sun saying Sanchez has rejected our offer and wants city.

Not surprising if true.

The Sun saying Sanchez has rejected our offer and wants city.

Not surprising if true.

Samuel lockhurst saying if United want him they can have him because city having trouble doing the deal.. sounds to me like city are trying to bargain and arsenal are trying to link United to get a deal done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hernandez is an odd player to be linked with. Surely there's better options than someone not even wanted by West Ham at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Any rumours of Tony Kroos yet? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Every outlet has a different story to try to claim that all important Exclusive!

astradave wrote: »
    Every outlet has a different story to try to claim that all important Exclusive!

Is that an Exclusive dave? :D

Any rumours of Tony Kroos yet? :)

Yep he is the backup option if the Sneijder deal doesn't go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yep he is the backup option if the Sneijder deal doesn't go ahead.

Would prefer Niko Gaitan myself

MrMac84 wrote: »

Seriously now, I heard he could actually be in the PL come Feb, Watford are looking to loan him

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »

I heard he was off to Dortmund as cover for Reus in central midfield..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    I heard he was off to Dortmund as cover for Reus in central midfield..

Another Bangkok-ism...

I just want us to sign

Mueller Reus

Just following a lot of the players clips on Instagram of their training break in Dubai and a lot of focus on team mentality it really would be great to see them back and firing like they were at start of season.

Also Jesse is so much more confident if that was even possible hope he continues to shock and prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ezequiel Garay spotted getting off a plane in Manchester heading for a midnight medical

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Ezequiel Garay spotted getting off a plane in Manchester heading for a midnight medical

Double signing of Celio Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd imagine Jose's presence puts paid to that rumour while he's there anyway. Clearly didn't rate him at all at Real. Was bottom of the pecking order there under him, and then sold.

Whoosh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fergie had a subtle way of hijacking transfer targets, going to giggs house when he was a kid to personally talk to the family getting Berbatov picked up at the airport in a taxi, offering slightly more for a player just has a Wenger esqueness about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Re the 400k a week rumour (that seems to Ben coming from Simon Mullock who is tier one for City news apparently).

Same as I said about Griezmann a few days back. Sanchez would know whoever gets him, now or in the summer, are getting him well below his market value. There were bids of 70m rejected in the summer, and now it looks to be around 30m being discussed.

I'm guessing he feels that if a club gets him at a cut throats price, he wants to see part of that financial advantage himself. If a team gets him cheap, he'd like to see part of that money himself. Some will call that mercenaries, others will call it knowing his worth and value, I guess.

The 3 and a half year contract would be a bit much but again, I can see why he wants that from his final big pay day. And when you have desperate suitors chasing you, you can make higher demands.

• Advertisement

I dunno there is just something weird about how all of a sudden he is demanding 400k where he was supposed to have already agreed a deal worth 250k. It actually reminds me of Real/Barca trying to discredit players through their sources in the media when the player rejects them.

Imagine :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement