Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Too many lads here playing the likes of Football Manager thinking it's simple to develop potential in the likes of 20/21 year old players. It doesn't happen like that. Our most in form player at the minute is only now really starting to show proper development at 25 years of age. Can't believe that some are against signing a top level player like Sanchez. Granted this year is form hasn't been great. ok but not great, but the dog in the street knows why. On his previous seasons form he's actually a level, or levels , above what we have at the club. Hadn't realised 29 was retirement age these days!! I mentioned yesterday how having better players around them each day will actually aid the development of our youngsters, not hinder it. City have the 2 best performing youngsters in the league in Sane and Sterling at the minute.........I don't see anyone crying about City signing Sanchez hindering their development. Pep is strengthening his squad.........which is exactly what we need to do to compete.

Some people seem bizarely fixated on the "starting" team. No substitutes needed, no injury cover, no rotation, just XI players the whole season :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Too many lads here playing the likes of Football Manager thinking it's simple to develop potential in the likes of 20/21 year old players. It doesn't happen like that. Our most in form player at the minute is only now really starting to show proper development at 25 years of age. Can't believe that some are against signing a top level player like Sanchez. Granted this year is form hasn't been great. ok but not great, but the dog in the street knows why. On his previous seasons form he's actually a level, or levels , above what we have at the club. Hadn't realised 29 was retirement age these days!! I mentioned yesterday how having better players around them each day will actually aid the development of our youngsters, not hinder it. City have the 2 best performing youngsters in the league in Sane and Sterling at the minute.........I don't see anyone crying about City signing Sanchez hindering their development. Pep is strengthening his squad.........which is exactly what we need to do to compete.
    Apart from Kane so many of the top goalscorers in the CL & across Europe are 25+. Suarez,Aubameyang,Cavani,Higuain,Lewandowski,Messi,Ronaldo,Aguero.

All of those players are late 20's or in 30's.

Lukuku is 24. He has flaws but he gets too much criticism imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MD1990 wrote: »
    Apart from Kane so many of the top goalscorers in the CL & across Europe are 25+. Suarez,Aubameyang,Cavani,Higuain,Lewandowski,Messi,Ronaldo,Aguero.

I feel dirty thanking this post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    How does anyone know that Sanchez wants to go to City? Has he ever said this?!

Unless you are living under a rock i think its very obvious he wants to go there

bangkok wrote: »
    Unless you are living under a rock i think its very obvious he wants to go there

I can't help but think that its very obvious if we weren't flirting with Sanchez you would be still complaining that we SHOULD be in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    We all remember the Stormzy shenanigans :pac:

Hehehehe dunno what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

F&%k Sanchez, Dybala either now or in the summer !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A box to box midfielder please, thanks.

What time is Pep talking to the media at.. inknow Jose is the late one anyways.. need some sound bites to keep me going.. full muppet mode engaged :D it will probably hit me the worst when he signs for city

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hehehehe dunno what happened.

I think it was that they used some Belgian lad in a photo when announcing we signed Stormzy. Eejits

S.M.B. wrote: »
    A box to box midfielder please, thanks.

We are linked to Fred in fairness, for this window too..

We have supposedly cooled interest in Malcom (who Jose is a big admirer of) and Arsenal are leading that chase now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rvp wanted to join utd. Sanchez wants to join city. We are just throwing obscene money at him to have a change of heart.

City are where they are now, in large part imo, to doing just that.

When you are at the top, you can trade on being the best.

When you are way behind, you need to offer cash to get the players in.

Right now, if United want top players they are going to have to offer more than other teams to get them, cause we aren't favourites to win trophies, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Do you know that player personally? Did Sanchez post it on his Twitter with a new City shirt for Christmas. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I highly doubt both Manchester clubs are competing for Sanchez. It’s just great for media outlets to discuss at length and then criticise whichever club didn’t get him afterwards. The fans also love nothing else than a player supposedly choosing their club above a rival.

I hope he goes to PSG.

• bangkok wrote: »
    Rvp wanted to join utd. Sanchez wants to join city. We are just throwing obscene money at him to have a change of heart.

How do you know this?

• Advertisement

I highly doubt both Manchester clubs are competing for Sanchez. It’s just great for media outlets to discuss at length and then criticise whichever club didn’t get him afterwards. The fans also love nothing else than a player supposedly choosing their club above a rival.

I hope he goes to PSG.

I'm 100% convinced United are in for Sanchez. There'd have been denials if we weren't. United are keeping stum on it.

I think United are absolutely in fir him but are also working with the knowledge that Sanchez going to city is the more likely outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fergie had a subtle way of hijacking transfer targets, going to giggs house when he was a kid to personally talk to the family getting Berbatov picked up at the airport in a taxi, offering slightly more for a player just has a Wenger esqueness about it.

You know I thought that was the story, until I read(multiple times*) that Ferguson himself went to the airport, used his status to get some fella in the airport to throw him on a buggy and drive him to the gate.

He met Berbatov from the gate (Berbatov wanted to join United) and told him he's coming to Carrington. Both on the buggy, this lad in the airport drops them out the back bypassing arrivals and into a car and back to Carrington.

Fergie rings Totenham to tell them hes here, hes staying, so accept the offer.

All the while some reps from City are standing in arrivals.

I thought it was probably the best story I've ever read from Ferguson hahaha. So good.

*Berbatov himself tells the above version of events

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know I thought that was the story, until I read(multiple times*) that Ferguson himself went to the airport, used his status to get some fella in the airport to throw him on a buggy and drive him to the gate.

He met Berbatov from the gate (Berbatov wanted to join United) and told him he's coming to Carrington. Both on the buggy, this lad in the airport drops them out the back bypassing arrivals and into a car and back to Carrington.

Fergie rings Totenham to tell them hes here, hes staying, so accept the offer.

All the while some reps from City are standing in arrivals.

I thought it was probably the best story I've ever read from Ferguson hahaha. So good.

*Berbatov himself tells the above version of events

Ahahahah this is amazing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How do you know this?

i'm honestly surprised people are quetioning whether Sanchez really wants to sign for City.

I know he hasn't said it himself.

But after the summer we saw people don't think he really wants to sign for City?

• i'm honestly surprised people are quetioning whether Sanchez really wants to sign for City.

But after the summer we saw people don't think he really wants to sign for City?

I see no evidence. What summer did we see? Rumors in the papers and TV?
    Until actual evidence can be provided then it's all speculation.
    As is this transfer deal in general.

• Advertisement

In terms of transfers, always worth remembering the general consensus, under Woodward, is that we are extremely highly regarded by clubs and agents in terms of transfer dealings, and generally just a pleasure to do business with. respectful, formal and informal when required, quick, and no nonsense.

It's been sighted as a reason in a number of players we have signed when tussling with other clubs and we seemingly have a really healthy relationship with everyone under Woodward, with no transfers resulting in hostility.

And I think that is absolute head in the sand mentality.

But some people will just never believe a word spoken by anyone in media and I'm not arsed debating it.

I will just say I find it very odd to not think Sanchez really wants to sign for City.

i'm honestly surprised people are quetioning whether Sanchez really wants to sign for City.

Agree with the point you made(Scanning pages quickly, think you made it) that you'd raise an eyebrow if he comes for us, for serious $$$$

Although I'd imagine it will be a stick he can be beaten with if hes **** or acts the mickey, if he does well no one will care.

I hope all this is true, and regardless of whats happening, we are just being dicks messing with what was assumed to be a smooth deal between Arsenal and City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But some people will just never believe a word spoken by anyone in media and I'm not arsed debating it.

For perfectly good reasons. I'd find it hard to disagree with anybody who says that he/she ignores all media reports as mostly fiction.

I don't mind debating the merits of any player or purchase purely on hypothetical grounds, but I don't for one second believe 99% of the ****e written by the media. And I really don't see the point in going round and round the house debating whether Sanchez wants to go here or there, nobody here has a damn clue which it is regardless of what some journalist has tweeted.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I can't help but think that its very obvious if we weren't flirting with Sanchez you would be still complaining that we SHOULD be in for him.

Well no, i would have said it ages ago if i thought that

Its clear as day.

Same with coutinho wanted barca in the summer, players dont need to come out and say things, its very obvious

• And I think that is absolute head in the sand mentality.

I will just say I find it very odd to not think Sanchez really wants to sign for City.

bucketybuck answered my thoughts exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

MD1990 wrote: »

Which is the point I'm making. Turning our nose up at a top level player who will improve the team in case it hinders the development of a couple of 20/22 year old players. Rashford or Martial won't be the finished article by the end of this season. I don't think they will be by the end of next season either. Surroundings is equally as important as playing time, and by surrounding these guys with experienced quality players you will add to their development. And it's not just the attacking players. The same can be said through out all areas of the team.

Its clear as day.

Same with coutinho wanted barca in the summer, players dont need to come out and say things, its very obvious

You didn't answer the question

City are where they are now, in large part imo, to doing just that.

When you are at the top, you can trade on being the best.

When you are way behind, you need to offer cash to get the players in.

Right now, if United want top players they are going to have to offer more than other teams to get them, cause we aren't favourites to win trophies, imo.

Dont know, psg are at the top and still pay crazy transfer fees and wages.

• Advertisement

You didn't answer the question

He said he wanted to leave arsenal last summer and play champions league. At the same time city had a bid in for him. He also said he just needs to wait for arsenal to decide

Dont know, psg are at the top and still pay crazy transfer fees and wages.

They are not at the top.

They are at the top in France, and France is not highly rated as a league. If/When the start winning the CL or making the final/semi's consistently that may change for them - but right now they have to pay big to get players to play in their project. Because it is still a project in its building phase.

Neymar will get no recognition for anything he does domestically this season. If they don't win the CL, no one will care what Neymar has done this season. That is why they are paying him a fortune.

He said he wanted to leave arsenal last summer and play champions league. At the same time city had a bid in for him. He also said he just needs to wait for arsenal to decide

Source?

And I think that is absolute head in the sand mentality.

I find it very odd that there is little or no evidence and it is assumed he loves City.

Source?

Ah here. Google it, was all over the papers in the summer. City even had 2 or 3 bids on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Sanchez can also play in the champions league this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Neymar will get no recognition for anything he does domestically this season. If they don't win the CL, no one will care what Neymar has done this season. That is why they are paying him a fortune.

There's ALREADY rumblings that Neymar wants out as well, and that Real Madrid are after him.

Ah here. Google it, was all over the papers in the summer. City even had 2 or 3 bids on him

Not one source that quotes Sanchez and you are saying he said all these things

If you are willing to say something like that that at least be willing to provide a source

• Advertisement

I find it very odd that there is little or no evidence and it is assumed he loves City.

Was there evidence ronaldo wanted to go to real when he was at united? No

Very same with sanchez and every other player apart from peter odemwingie what club they want to go to :)

Clarification: Not Loves City - wants to play for City. Because they have great other players, are highly likely to win the league and complete for the CL, and playing under possibly the best attacking coach in football.

If United ticked those boxes I reckon he'd really want to play for us.

At no point have I (or others, i think) said he loves City itself. I don't believe he grew up wearing a Georgi Kinkladze top.

The evidence is every single paper are reporter reporting that he really wants to sign for City, for the last 8 months. I believe the weight of the reporting.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There's ALREADY rumblings that Neymar wants out as well, and that Real Madrid are after him.

Sure haven't we been linked with him this week for some stupid figure?

Will be interesting to see what happens with him to be honest.

PSG signed him as part proof that they won't be bullied in to selling players - so you can be sure they won't be quick to let Neymar go.

If United (and I guess Madrid etc) didn't want to go to 190million for him in the summer why would they want to pay whatever sum it would take to get PSG to sell him (likely needing PSG to make a profit).

I can see Neymar/PSG becoming very messy.

I can't see PSG being willing to let him go before the wolrd cup in Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's naive to think that everything that's printed in the papers is truthful but it's also equally naive to think that the media is not used to push the agenda of players/clubs/agents or isn't capable of printing credible information.

Trying to figure out what's sh*te, what's spin and what's fact is the difficult part.

Not one source that quotes Sanchez and you are saying he said all these things

If you are willing to say something like that that at least be willing to provide a source

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/16/alexis-sanchez-arsenal-champions-league

So that says he wants to play at highest level so any club then....

• Advertisement

Look he might have wanted to play for City, but that doesn’t take away from the fact he might also want to play for United.. hell I’d love to play for multiple teams.. I’d say he would also love to play for Barca again, or real, and might like to play for his home team in Chile to wind down his career..

He might have had aspirations to play for Pep again, but he might also have had aspirations to play for Jose at some point

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's naive to think that everything that's printed in the papers is truthful but it's also equally naive to think that the media is not used to push the agenda of players/clubs/agents or isn't capable of printing credible information.

Trying to figure out what's sh*te, what's spin and what's fact is the difficult part.

I think you've got to find your sources and people you semi-trust, and go with them.

I don't believe a lot of journalists. But I believe some do get legit info sometimes.

I believe that DiMarizio has links to a few agents, especially Raiola. So when he has news about one of his clients, I take that well.

Simon Stone of the BBC has built up credibility. He's never the first to talk about something but if he does talk about something, you know he's checked his sources.

I don't trust Ladyman, Ducker, Ogden or Jackson as individuals. I do trust them when all four post the exact same story simultaneously, indicating a briefing from the club.

I barely trust Duncan Castle, but I take more notice of his articles in the Telegraph than I do of his posts in the Daily Record.

Craig Norwood, the club's photographer, is always on point; he doesn't talk about a transfer till the club says its done and ask him to do the pictures.

Point being, don't trust everything but don't ignore everything either. Build a list of journalists you trust, and take everything they say with a grain of salt.

So that says he wants to play at highest level so any club then....

But only city had a bid on him and he said it was up to arsenal....

Ok

astradave wrote: »
    Look he might have wanted to play for City, but that doesn’t take away from the fact he might also want to play for United.. hell I’d love to play for multiple teams.. I’d say he would also love to play for Barca again, or real, and might like to play for his home team in Chile to wind down his career..

He might have had aspirations to play for Pep again, but he might also have had aspirations to play for Jose at some point

If he wanted utd we would have known and would have tried to sign him. I actually cant believe some think he didnt want to go to city in the summer

If he wanted utd we would have known and would have tried to sign him. I actually cant believe some think he didnt want to go to city in the summer

Maybe we had different targets at that point.. things can change very quickly in football

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement