Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simon Stone of the BBC also reporting that City are willing to walk away, but that Sanchez wants to move now, and not wait till the summer.

As I said earlier, Stone is one I trust. if he's saying it, its not cause he's pulled that line from his ass. But it reads a lot like a City brief.

I'm not saying we are 100% in for him, but I do think a lack of rebuttals through United's sources shows there is smoke here. If we weren't in for him, I think you'd have had a full and proper briefing calling BS on this.

Call it mercurial or whatever, but we're proving we want him a lot more than City do if we offer the wages and the fee Arsenal want. Maybe that sense will encourage Sanchez.

I dont think arsenal can really ask for a fee can they? I mean he is out of contract in the summer and can leave for nothing. City had a package in place for him, he, i presume had already agreed it and he just needed arsenal to accept the bid so in a way they may be right to walk away.

City seem to have more of a plan in place than we do.
    Fellaini looks like hes going, carrick gone in summer, zlatan as well, darmian. Shaws future still up in the air. If we sign sanchez for huge money he will still need replacing in 2-3-4 years, as will matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would you remember his slavery comment perhaps?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So Pep is unwilling to splash the money to get a player that is in love with him apparently

Awkward enough situation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    I dont think arsenal can really ask for a fee can they? I mean he is out of contract in the summer and can leave for nothing. City had a package in place for him, he, i presume had already agreed it and he just needed arsenal to accept the bid so in a way they may be right to walk away.

City seem to have more of a plan in place than we do.
    Fellaini looks like hes going, carrick gone in summer, zlatan as well, darmian. Shaws future still up in the air. If we sign sanchez for huge money he will still need replacing in 2-3-4 years, as will matic.

Of course they can ask for a fee - they can ask for whatever fee they want, and they can reject any offer they want.

Sanchez will be free to leave in the summer but not now. Right now he is contracted to the end of the season and unless Arsenal agree a sale price for him that is where he will stay.

As for needing to replace Sanchez in 3 years or so - yeah, thats right. Probably also why a player of his ability at a relatively low price is a conideration despite the price that would need to be paid. Sanchez 2 years younger and another 2 years on his contract goes for 3 or 4 times the figures that are being talked about.

Also, while we potentially have a great future with Rashford, Martial and Lukaku, we also have a need for high level performances NOW. Sanchez would, arguably, be coming in to replace Ibrahimic as the experienced forward in the squad.

Sanchez would increase our quality in attack now, and for the next few seasons. I don't see an issue with that.

As for the general planning - Lindelof, Bailly, Pogba, Lukaku all young signings, hoped to be the spine of the squad for years to come. Jose is doing a good job of mixing experience with youth in his signings for the squad, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jose on Conte: "When person insults another you can expect response. Or you can expect contempt. 1st time he insulted me I had response that touched point where he really feels hurt. He insulted me 2nd time. Now I change. Now contempt + contempt means end of the story."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

José on Sanchez..
    The only word I can say is he is a phenomenal player, apart from that Arsenal player and I feel I shouldn’t say much more than this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Full
    Mourinho on Alexis Sanchez
    “I don’t know if ethical or correct,” Mourinho began. “The word we can find to be speaking about players of other clubs. If somebody speaks of one of my players to tell we are interested or we are not interested, I wouldn’t be very, very happy.

“Sanchez is an Arsenal player, I don’t know but probably this weekend he is going to defend Arsenal colours so I don’t think it’s correct to say things about Alexis Sanchez.

“At the general level what I can say is myself and the Manchester United board, the owners, we don’t believe a lot in the January market, we don’t believe in signing a player just to sign a player, just to do something, we don’t believe in that.

“What we believe really is there are some players in football world if you have the chance to sign them in January, in March or in July, you have to try and that’s it.

“But in relation to Alexis Sanchez I don’t say a word, the only word I can say is he is a phenomenal player, apart from that an Arsenal player and I feel I shouldn’t say much more than this.”

Jose on Sanchez :

I don’t know if ethical or correct. The word we can find to be speaking about players of other clubs. If somebody speaks of one of my players to tell we are interested or we are not interested, I wouldn’t be very, very happy.

“Sanchez is an Arsenal player, I don’t know but probably this weekend he is going to defend Arsenal colours so I don’t think it’s correct to say things about Alexis Sanchez.

“At the general level what I can say is myself and the Manchester United board, the owners, we don’t believe a lot in the January market, we don’t believe in signing a player just to sign a player, just to do something, we don’t believe in that.

“What we believe really is there are some players in football world if you have the chance to sign them in January, in March or in July, you have to try and that’s it.

“But in relation to Alexis Sanchez I don’t say a word, the only word I can say is he is a phenomenal player, apart from that an Arsenal player and I feel I shouldn’t say much more than this.”

Jose on Ibra :

"We all make the decision to stop, treatment and when feeling really good come back to the work and the date for him to be back to training with the team was around end of Jan beginning of Feb"

Jose on Axel :

"We are delaying decision until end of transfer window. If no fresh injuries and Bailly close to being back, good for Axel to go on loan."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2fTh8AH8nVnMmBK-5knO92VG7DYnzeHT_3ZIT2A3WjKlxuuSK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose on Conte: "When person insults another you can expect response. Or you can expect contempt. 1st time he insulted me I had response that touched point where he really feels hurt. He insulted me 2nd time. Now I change. Now contempt + contempt means end of the story."

Jose been the BIGGER man :)

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2fTh8AH8nVnMmBK-5knO92VG7DYnzeHT_3ZIT2A3WjKlxuuSK

Must not post Daniel Bryan Yes gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Jose taking the W and walking away. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

tenor.gif

This bit of the quote is basically confirmation that we are in talks

https://twitter.com/DiscoMirror/status/951869847532720131?s=17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

After that press conference, Sanchez has basically signed to us, won the league and retired :pac:

astradave wrote: »
    This bit of the quote is basically confirmation that we are in talks

https://twitter.com/DiscoMirror/status/951869847532720131?s=17

its not the first time he has said that and its true, if certain players become available you need to do everything in your power to try and sign them

On Sanchez...

I really would not be bothered if he wanted to go to City for football reasons but chose us for 'the money'. It's not even a bitter pill to swallow. Like it or not, Pep has the Midas touch for the most part these days and is helping players become superstars. Jose is overseeing a work-in-progress that might not come to full fruition for a while yet.

It's not about Sanchez not wanting to play for United or Jose, or wanting to join Man City the club more. If a player has his mind set on playing for arguably the most successful manager in recent years, and is sought by that manager, well then that's just the way it is. However, money talks, and if Pep was seriously looking for Sanchez, you'd expect that the deal would be done by now.

Where did I see that Sanchez said that he wanted to play for Pep? I didn't, I'm just giving my opinion on the news of the day in both the media and this thread. If we get Sanchez, I really don't care if his original hope was to join Pep at City. If we get Sanchez, he will have chosen us willfully.

And for the record, me being in favour of signing Sanchez now is a complete flip to my opinion from last Summer. Back then, I was comfortable with our attacking options for the forthcoming season and didn't see the need for Sanchez.

Well, things change. The squad currently has potential falling out of its pockets. What we need now is proven quality, a player in his peak who needs a fresh challenge in order to make the most of that peak.

With Zlatan as good as gone, Mkhi a ghost, Mata simmering for far too long now, Ashley Young getting on in years unfortunately, Rooney (The Rooney of years ago) never really replaced, we really are relying on the 'kids' and 'potential' to carry the attacking weight of the team at the moment.

It's great to hear Jose as good as say that we are interested in Sanchez..."I don't like the January market usually, but if a certain player becomes available you sign him whenever you can".

No, signing Sanchez wouldn't solve all of our attacking problems at once. However, it would be a tremendous step in balancing out the 'potential v proven' scale which is currently way out of proportion in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

On Sanchez...

I really would not be bothered if he wanted to go to City for football reasons but chose us for 'the money'. It's not even a bitter pill to swallow. Like it or not, Pep has the Midas touch for the most part these days and is helping players become superstars. Jose is overseeing a work-in-progress that might not come to full fruition for a while yet.

strange that he did not have the midas touch with Sanchez when both were at Barcelona....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    On Sanchez...

strange that he did not have the midas touch with Sanchez when both were at Barcelona....

30plus goal season in their one year together?

Edit: lol that was way off, it was half that. 15.

On Sanchez...

You pulled 5 words out of a few hundred to try to be snide about something that happened 5+ years ago, ignoring the rest of the sentence which clearly says 'for the most part these days'.

Go and shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Liverpool fan coming in peace. Sanchez would be a phenomenal signing for United, I can't understand how anyone would think anything else. I'm very disappointed Liverpool aren't throwing their hat in the ring.

He'd probably be your best player if he joined, certainly top 3 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Morzadec wrote: »
    Liverpool fan coming in peace. Sanchez would be a phenomenal signing for United, I can't understand how anyone would think anything else. I'm very disappointed Liverpool aren't throwing their hat in the ring.

Personally the wages reported would be the killer,

Morzadec wrote: »

Wages being mentioned theres no way liverpool could afford that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hococop wrote: »
    Personally the wages reported would be the killer,

Why?

If yiu would consider him a good signing ignoring the financials, why do you care about the financials?
    If United are to win the CL we are going to spend a lot of money on big name players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Read a sportswitness post earlier about how de vrij is available on a free this is summer and we apparently wanted him a year ago before injury with a verbal agreement. I wouldn't adding him to the defense next season if we ship out blind and smalling!

Signing him and ozil on pre-contracts along with Sanchez in January would be handy business for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why?

If yiu would consider him a good signing ignoring the financials, why do you care about the financials?
    If United are to win the CL we are going to spend a lot of money on big name players.

I assumed that was in relation to Liverpool not being able to pay it.

You pulled 5 words out of a few hundred to try to be snide about something that happened 5+ years ago, ignoring the rest of the sentence which clearly says 'for the most part these days'.

Go and shíte.

hahaha.......... You sap...........You make out that the city manager invented football........call yourself a Utd fan.. Shame on you............

hahaha.......... You sap...........You make out that the city manager invented football........call yourself a Utd fan.. Shame on you............

Name calling now..... lol

jayo26 wrote: »

Name calling now..... lol

He told me to go and ****e.. nice way to debate.. So I replied to his childish reply.. by the way are you his Mammy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If he is then this conversation just got interesting.

He told me to go and ****e.. nice way to debate.. So I replied to his childish reply.. by the way are you his Mammy ?

Jose v conte boards style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

My favourite player to almost join United but didn't is arjen Robben . I've also wanted Sanchez since his udinese days
    Which do you think has been the better player ? Imagine a 433 with both of them either side of a central striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Sanchez chase reminds me of the good ol' days and a younger me, hearing on Ceefax of Fergie after this skilful Chilean Udinese winger for the silly money of £20m. The disappointment years later of him going to Barcelona.

I couldn't give a toss what you call him just makes you seem like a little man....

#contevsjose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The only thing to be seen unfolding here is the Sanchez saga. Few lads having shots at each other and taking digs. I haven’t time to go back and delete as I’m in work but it stops now... next one gets a card

• Advertisement

Hate playing on Monday it's too long to wait :(

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The only thing to be seen unfolding here is the Sanchez saga.

I ****in knew he was a transfer muppet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/951937963675537409

"United have been given a clear run at Alexis Sanchez and he’s a brilliant enough player worth pushing the boat out for. Biggest incentive to get him now is he can play in the Chamoions League knockout stage.
    Arsenal want £35m for Sanchez. United bid more than that for Perisic before they were reluctant to meet Inter’s demand. Regardless of agents’ fees and wages, they’d be getting a bargain in the post-Neymar market. #mufc"

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/951937963675537409

"United have been given a clear run at Alexis Sanchez and he’s a brilliant enough player worth pushing the boat out for. Biggest incentive to get him now is he can play in the Chamoions League knockout stage.
    Arsenal want £35m for Sanchez. United bid more than that for Perisic before they were reluctant to meet Inter’s demand. Regardless of agents’ fees and wages, they’d be getting a bargain in the post-Neymar market. #mufc"

So we're gone from there's a chance to it's just a matter of time until it's done?

Posted in the transfer thread that the Keita deal will cost Liverpool €95 million. Any sign of Klopp walking away from football yet? ;)

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So we're gone from there's a chance to it's just a matter of time until it's done?

Just like Ronaldinho Garay Fabregas Kroos Robben Gaitan Morata etc etc

Where’s future guy? We need the bat signal out for him

Lowering excitement levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Posted in the transfer thread that the Keita deal will cost Liverpool €95 million. Any sign of Klopp walking away from football yet? ;)

Why 95 million thought it was 65-70 million?

Let’s see if every pundit, journalist and twitter expert analysis his every move and then declare how they expect more from a 90 million pound player bla bla bla!
    Jose’s comment about 89 million being a bargain in a few years looks more and more accurate every day

You missed last night so.. our hero has come and gone..

astradave wrote: »
    You missed last night so.. our hero has come and gone..

No but that was phase 1 denial...
    classic Future Guy has a few phases of denial.. different times I suppose........

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

For another perspective on the Sanchez debacle head over to the Arsenal forum, a lot there are not blaming Sanchez for wanting out. They see Arsenals lack of ambition as the trigger to his attitude or ambition to succeed ;)

Edit: Just saw Mr. Mac's mod warning. Grand, hopefully one of you see my use of the report function.

Soooooooo I’m not getting too caught up in things like BUT is it too soon to get Alexis 7 on my shirt?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement