Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Soooooooo I’m not getting too caught up in things like BUT is it too soon to get Alexis 7 on my shirt?

Should be safe, just don't get a tattoo yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Let’s see if every pundit, journalist and twitter expert analysis his every move and then declare how they expect more from a 90 million pound player bla bla bla!
    Jose’s comment about 89 million being a bargain in a few years looks more and more accurate every day

Haven't seen anything remotely reputable that quotes Keita at anything more than 60-65 million pounds max so far anyway. Which makes sense obviously, with the release clause being 48m pounds.

(though I agree that already Pogba at 90m isn't bad at all, given his potential, and current ability. Do think you'd see more from him with a different style of manager though, but given his age, you'll probably see him under a few different styles, with the average longevity of managers in this day and age. Like the different stages and utilizations of Gerrard under Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson, Kenny, and Rodgers. Will be interesting to see.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I wouldn't be too worried about the alleged wages we are offering Sanchez (given Jose's comments yesterday there is no doubt that we are at least enquiring)

Even if it's the top amount of £400k per week (I don't believe this for a second) plus alleged £25m to Arse plus alleged £15m signing on bonus to the player, over the length of say a 3.5 year contract that would work out at a total cost incl wages of approx £110m.

A more likely wage would be £200 to £250k per week with various incentives and performance related bonuses so the overall cost would be in the region of £80 to £90m

Juventus paid an £81m fee for a 28 year Higuain 2 years ago.

Liverpool just paid £75m for a defender with little (relatively speaking) experience playing under any kind of pressure.

Neither of those figures incl wages or signing fees.

A player of Sanchez' calibre rarely comes up for as low as fee as £40m.

If he picks City, so be it but at least we are trying.

He's the kind of player that would give us something we don't have, a player that leads from the front and takes on defenders and gets goals.

He is the finished article and he would massively improve the team.

We have the money, pay it and get it done if that's what it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Where do we see Sanchez primarily playing if he comes? On the left of the 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Right or central off Lukaku would be my hope.

I don't think dropping martial /rashford for him makes sense, I think he makes a bigger difference to the team and balance coming in for mata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If we continue in a 4-3-3 which I hope we do he will play in of the 3 forward slots. Most likely from the right looking at how we set the majority of match’s.

If we continue in a 4-3-3 which I hope we do he will play in of the 3 forward slots. Most likely from the right looking at how we set the majority of match’s.

And Rashford on the left? Is he better that side?

Or Martial. Or put Martial right (cutting in on his left) and Sanchez left (cutting in on his right)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’d have Martial from the left and Rashford as back up for any of the three.. would see plenty of gametime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Your pages not updating either? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

One thing I love about the January window is that it’s short. Only have to put up with the Sanchez story for two weeks at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would feel comfortable giving Sanchez around 250k plus an extra 100k a week bonus at the end of the season if he hits the numbers and performance markers you’d be expecting of a player on that kind of salary.

You can’t blame him for trying to get the best deal possible but I think giving him 300-400k a week has the potential to go pear shaped. Falcao, Di Maria, and Mkhitaryan are always in the back of my mind

Should add I'm still expecting City to give in and pay the money for him.

• Advertisement

I would feel comfortable giving Sanchez around 250k plus an extra 100k a week bonus at the end of the season if he hits the numbers and performance markers you’d be expecting of a player on that kind of salary.

You can’t blame him for trying to get the best deal possible but I think giving him 300-400k a week has the potential to go pear shaped. Falcao, Di Maria, and Mkhitaryan are always in the back of my mind

I'm.not expecting them to pay the money but I am expecting them to tell him to hang on until summer and we pay you an even bigger signing on fee.

Or put Martial right (cutting in on his left) and Sanchez left (cutting in on his right)

I like the sound of this. Course you'd be pushing Lingard back into the midfield 3 (if he still plays) but I reckon the formation with these players would tend toward a 4-1-4-1 in practice.

Luckhurst showing everyone on Twitter that he has no idea what’s going on.. says this:

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/952108393707327488?s=17

Then follows up with this gem..

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/952111593340403712?s=17

Absolute spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Really don’t know why anyone cares what he gets. There’s no proven correlation between being demotivated by earning excessive money. It’s not like he isn’t already incredibly rich.

When a movie studio announce they are remaking a much loved film and announce who is cast in it, nobody wonders what salary the actors will receive. Nobody cares. It’s a business decision the owners of the studio have to make. As a consumer of the product we should only care about the end result.

• Advertisement

Miguel going with we still want Ozil even if we get Sanchez

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/952149081039691776?s=17

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/952137132113645568/video/1

Have had this ear worm all week lads so sharing it here for ye! A fellow cork lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/952137132113645568/video/1

Have had this ear worm all week lads so sharing it here for ye! A fellow cork lad!

Cork people are such a rare breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness, if the shoe was on the other foot plenty of United fans would be lining up to jump on the "money vs trophies" bandwagon.

I can only imagine the posts if a world class player joined mega bucks city in a alternative universe where we were sitting 15 points ahead of them in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    In fairness, if the shoe was on the other foot plenty of United fans would be lining up to jump on the "money vs trophies" bandwagon.

I can only imagine the posts if a world class player joined mega bucks city in a alternative universe where we were sitting 15 points ahead of them in the table.
    I have to think that if we sign Sanchez cause it will be we offered more money than city. If United and City were to offer the same packages, I think he would pick city.

Thats where I see the money vs pep argument being.

100% agree that if the situation was reversed we'd be shouting mercenary - as i believe we did with nasri for example.

I don't think the argument is that city don't or haven't spent huge money. It's a more personal argument than that, imo.

There is a possible argument that Sanchez feels city's offer significantly undervalues him, and that United are showing a greater desire to sign him which has/could have swayed him. Maybe that is part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Possibly, but there's a mighty fine line between the arguments of a player feeling undervalued so not wanting to join a club that appears to tick all other boxes and a player not wanting to join a club because he's getting offered a better financial package elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yep left of 3, when you sign one of the best players in the league, you play him in his best position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Apparently, Jonas Hector has a €6m relegation release clause at Koln. Koln are rather certain to be relegated imo, so we really should be in for Hector at that price. Germany's starting left back (albeit they don't have any great left backs atm), but he'd be a really good backup at that price even if he couldn't emerge as a starter.

Leceister bullying Chelsea at Stamford Bridge right now. Mahrez looking very bright despite his horrific dive which he might get in trouble for by the FA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

How are Chelsea drawing this still I'll never know

• Advertisement

They will probably go on to win now. They have been pretty good since that draw with us they were unlucky against pool and could easily be winning today by 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

titan18 wrote: »
    Apparently, Jonas Hector has a €6m relegation release clause at Koln. Koln are rather certain to be relegated imo, so we really should be in for Hector at that price. Germany's starting left back (albeit they don't have any great left backs atm), but he'd be a really good backup at that price even if he couldn't emerge as a starter.

Someone is going to get a bargain there. Reading about him previously I doubt he has any interest in leaving Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harry Maguire for a big auld bástard is bizarrely nimble. Much silkier than he has any right to be hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nice to see Matty James playing I believe he missed nearly 2 years with injuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we dodged a bullet with Morata, he will score you some goals but I think Chelsea will be looking to replace him in a season or two as he has his limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pjohnson wrote: »
    Harry Maguire for a big auld bástard is bizarrely nimble. Much silkier than he has any right to be hahaha

He seems like he'd look more at home drawing silage than playing football but he's a tidy player. City have been linked more than once with a £50 million potential bid.

Good result for us that

I think we dodged a bullet with Morata, he will score you some goals but I think Chelsea will be looking to replace him in a season or two as he has his limitations.

Agree. I won't say lukaku is mikes better then him but he is harder worker and has contributed more to our team in other ways then morata has for Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Morata is a pile of c**p lads - simples.

Good in the air and that's it.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

I'f of like to sign him as a rb in my head he could have fitted the role very well in a Jose team. I dont really know why i think this mind you

i think the very same of lukaku, is a good long term signing, will score goals, but in the big games we will be looking for an upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If we can beat Stoke on Monday we'll have 3 points on Chelsea and 6 on Liverpool after they get spanked tomorrow.

Some way towards to repairing the damage of those 3 draws, if we win.

J. Marston wrote: »
    If we can beat Stoke on Monday we'll have 3 points on Chelsea and 6 on Liverpool after they get spanked tomorrow.

Some way towards to repairing the damage of those 3 draws, if we win.

well done, liverpool victory guaranteed now

Anyone see the state of the Watford equalizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We thought we had it bad with City, Real could be 19 points off Barcelona by the end of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

J. Marston wrote: »
    We thought we had it bad with City, Real could be 19 points off Barcelona by the end of the weekend.

It's amazing with all the plaudits city are getting how much Barca seem to have been ignored by many. They've only conceded 7 goals in the league so far. They're unbeaten in all competitions this season. Suarez is beginning to find his form again. Luckily for us neutrals they have their annual ritual at the Anoeta tomorrow where they almost always drop points. Which might hopefully slow their momentum.

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's amazing with all the plaudits city are getting how much Barca seem to have been ignored by many. They've only conceded 7 goals in the league so far. They're unbeaten in all competitions this season. Suarez is beginning to find his form again. Luckily for us neutrals they have their annual ritual at the Anoeta tomorrow where they almost always drop points. Which might hopefully slow their momentum.

And they have been missing dembele most of the season and still have to add in coutinho to that squad.... hahaha they will walk it next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Moyes doing some reputation repair work. Taking West Ham from the relegation zone to 11th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Moyes doing some reputation repair work. Taking West Ham from the relegation zone to 11th place.

I'm glad for him. Out of his depth at United but seems like a decent sorta dude.

• Great result that

Tee hee at Chelsea

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement