Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thank Christ I didn't go to pub to watch that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ederson AGAIN! would have preferred a draw. Can See City going all out for Sanchez now as a show of intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just glad that record is done. Sure ya know Liverpool they will follow this up by being beaten by team in bottom half!

They are on decent unbeaten run I think and a direct rival to us this season. I’d love nothing more tha. city’s unbeaten run come to end but not today when it’s potentialky damaging to Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Cant believe how happy I am for Liverpool! Delighted City are getting hammered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hopefully all PL managers are watching this and taking notes on how to break this City side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thank Christ I didn't go to pub to watch that game.

Sitting here with my liverpool supporting brother

Its torture

adox wrote: »
    They are on decent unbeaten run I think and a direct rival to us this season. I’d love nothing more tha. city’s unbeaten run come to end but not today when it’s potentialky damaging to Utd.

Ah here if we can't beat Liverpool to a top 4 then we can say goodbye. Delighted City are losing! We should take note of this and I wanted us to do what Liverpool are doing to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I hope Jose takes note here, we gave city far too much respect in the last game, they are there to be got at.

On the other hand, people thinking you can rock up to Anfield and play open attacking football should take note too. This is why I've said for weeks i had no problem trying counter attack football. They can carve teams open if you don't....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

NIce to see the so called “invincibles” looking like a shell of a team. Respected them way too much at OT, like already said, City were/are there to be got at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hopefully all PL managers are watching this and taking notes on how to break this City side.

No other teams have an attack like liverpool.

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    Sitting here with my liverpool supporting brother

Its torture

Needles in my eyes would be more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

CL qualification is in our own hands.

If we don’t qualify it will be because of our own feck ups not Liverpool winning today.

I hope Jose takes note here, we gave city far too much respect in the last game, they are there to be got at.

Jose will never play like that though

Nalz wrote: »
    If we don't get Sanchez, does anyone see a few panic buys from United this Jan?

I don't know about panic buys if we don't get Sanchez. Rather than the club desperately seeking new attacking players now and panicking, I think it is a case of how Jose describes it: If a certain quality of player becomes available in January, you take that chance. So I don't think the club will 'panic buy' if Sanchez doesn't arrive.

If Sanchez is signed, I actually think it could trigger some long-rumoured departures in order to get some money in. Although many of us have stated that around £50m would be good price for Sanchez, it's still £50m being spent in January. Will the club try to regain as much of that as soon as possible? Will Jose need to, in order to replenish his budget for the Summer?

A few players seem to be itching for the door and a change...

Fellaini - The club will likely want some money now rather than let him go for free in Summer. Jose might feel differently. Fellaini seems to want a move though. I said as much about a month ago, but unfortunately I think Fellaini has played his last game for United. (Now watch him return and bag the winner against Stoke!)

Mkhitaryan - Self explanatory.

Darmian - I still think that Darmian could go in this window. I went into reasons why in another TLDR before, but in short he might want regular football in Italy. He's getting to that age where he'll need to nail down a regular place somewhere, or likely remain a squad player for the remainder of his career.

All of those players seem to want out to some extent or have been reported to be destined for the door soon. Jose was doing his best Ted Dibiase impression this past week with some 'Everyone's got a price' quotes in relation to the current United squad. The same sort of thinking and talking he was doing last year leading up to Memphis and Morgan's departure.

I think if Sanchez is signed, United will become a bit more flexible with that price for the want-away players. In order to sign Sanchez in this window and still have a decent transfer budget for the Summer, some players might be allowed to move in January a bit more easily than if the club didn't spend £50m this window.

TLDR - The opposite to panic buys if we don't sign Sanchez, we might see some sensible exits from United if he is signed. If United spend £50m-ish on the Sanchez deal, will that trigger some long-rumoured departures? Would we even get £50m combined from the sale of Fellaini, Mkhi and Darmian?

Fúck sake, just realising that I'm essentially talking about 'net spend' here, aren't I? :(:mad:

bangkok wrote: »

From a city fan to a pool fan you don't hang around ha :)

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Ah here if we can't beat Liverpool to a top 4 then we can say goodbye. Delighted City are losing! We should take note of this and I wanted us to do what Liverpool are doing to them.

You can say “ah here”all you want but they are going level on points with us and are on their best run in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Liverpool have been good today, but fcuk me City have been atrocious. John stones is so poor at times it's unreal how he's so highly rated,

City look a completely different animal without Silva pulling the strings.

2 best attacks in the league..... by a long way

2 best attacks in the league..... by a long way

I think we do. We were scoring goals left right and centre at the start of the season . When all our attacking players are in form we're just as good as anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why? Because City were making mistakes left right and centre today. It's easy to look good when the opposition are giving you the ball 20 yards from their own goal.

I think we do. We were scoring goals left right and centre at the start of the season . When all our attacking players are in form we're just as good as anyone

We are a long way off.

beno619 wrote: »
    CL qualification is in our own hands.

If we don’t qualify it will be because of our own feck ups not Liverpool winning today.

If we don’t win the league(which we aren’t) I want to finish second if possible. I always want to finish ahead of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf this will hurt City. They could easily tear open the purse and match us for Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not really getting the same level of satisfaction out of this game as others have.

Hoping we don't end up regretting those dropped Xmas points come the end of the season.

Jose will never play like that though

Did you catch our match at the Emirates this season ?

Just realised after today we have the joint best defence in the league again woohoo trophy time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf this will hurt City. They could easily tear open the purse and match us for Sanchez.

It'd be such a Pep thing to do.

Why? Because City were making mistakes left right and centre today. It's easy to look good when the opposition are giving you the ball 20 yards from their own goal.

Pace movement excitement. Salah has been signing of the season. Mane on the other side, firminos movement and skill as well all top class

• Advertisement

They'll need a good PR move to cover this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The way I look at it is I wouldn't fancy Liverpool to do this every week there not consistent enough. I fancied Liverpool today cause there usually very very good in these kinds games they just go for it!

Thing is you can see them dropping stupid points against much smaller teams.

If I could pick either of these I'd pick none but city's "greatest team ever" record is over so it's all good.

beno619 wrote: »
    Did you catch our match at the Emirates this season ?

The one for 70 mins we sat back and defended like crazy and de gea made around 15 saves?? Yes i seen it

Hopefully this result doesn't encourage Pep to go all out for Sanchez. If City matches our offer , Sanchez will ditch us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't even think about it, Liverpool.

You can say “ah here”all you want but they are going level on points with us and are on their best run in years.

We will still be going for second. Great to see City losing though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Do we want the draw? Confused :confused:

Please don't do an Arsenal here

Hopefully this result doesn't encourage Pep to go all out for Sanchez. If City matches our offer , Sanchez will ditch us

This will have absolutely no effect.

We will still be going for second. Great to see City losing though :)

I agree fully it’s great to see City losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

pjohnson wrote: »

Wouldn't have made a difference if he was at them or not in today's terms. Liverpool were by far the better team against City until Mane got sent off. They are their cryptonite; a team that will attack them at will with pace and in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s a double edged sword, great seeing City thumped but with Liverpool (47), Chelsea (47), Spurs (44), so close we are in big trouble if the dreaded D returns and our attack goes off the boil again.

Cant believe anyone thinks this would happen. If he goes to city it will have no dependency on this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

With all of us and the media watching Sanchez, I wonder if Jose and Ed are working on anything else behind the curtain. With Carrick and Fellaini likely gone, I'd like to think that the scouts are out for a good CM who might be available in this window.
    Be great to get in a cm this month. It's badly needed as a overhaul has to happen soon.

It’s a double edged sword, great seeing City thumped but with Liverpool (47), Chelsea (47), Spurs (44), so close we are in big trouble if the dreaded D returns and our attack goes off the boil again.

It would be our own doing then.

If we don't finish above these teams bascially because we weren't good enough. We need to look at ourselves if where good enough shouldn't matter what rest are at!

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Hoping we don't end up regretting those dropped Xmas points come the end of the season.

We absolutely will, the question is will we be thinking what if because we :

A. Finish 5 points behind city.
    B. Finish 5 points behind the 2nd place team
    C. Finish 5 points behind the 4th place team.

Cant believe anyone thinks this would happen. If he goes to city it will have no dependency on this game.

City currently are refusing to pay the transfer fee Arsenal want? That left us in the clear to get him now. If City based on this decide to match Arsenals asking price its back to being his choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It would be our own doing then.

If we don't finish above these teams bascially because we weren't good enough. We need to look at ourselves if where good enough shouldn't matter what rest are at!

Chelsea are going through a bad patch, we had ours over Christmas and Spurs and Pool will have theirs. Our start to the season meant they were playing catch up. Nailed on for CL again imo

Without trying to down play Liverpool’s performance(fair play to them they really took it to City) while there is merit to the argument that high pressing and attacking City is how to get at them, I don’t think today’s result is real proof that it’s as simple as that.

City are 15 points clear at the start of this game. That’s got to be taken 8nt9 context also and the level of performance from the City team.

Again I’m not try8ng to downplay Liverpool’s performance but context does need to be considered when making absolute statements about “how to beat City and why”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Uh oh

See this Liverpool team can attack but jesus they can't defend.

Until they sort that out I'm not gonna sweat over them.

I'm mean ffs 4-1 up shut up shop but look what they done instead!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement