Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Very good win for Pool and they took it to City but they will nothing with that set up. Defensively they are a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

See this Liverpool team can attack but jesus they can't defend.

Until they sort that out I'm not gonna sweat over them.

I'm mean ffs 4-1 up shut up shop but look what they done instead!
    This is it. If you load the attack all game and expect your defence to fend for itself the whole time, your defenders will eventually make a mistake, through tiredness or just lack of numbers.

There is a balance to everything and Klopp doesn't really get the balance right, in the same way that Mourinho doesn't get it right balance wise in certain games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

See this Liverpool team can attack but jesus they can't defend.

Until they sort that out I'm not gonna sweat over them.

I'm mean ffs 4-1 up shut up shop but look what they done instead!

They are missing van djik and clyne, although i heard clyne failed a drugs test and wont play for them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bangkok wrote: »
    They are missing van djik and clyne, although i heard clyne failed a drugs test and wont play for them again

Let's see Van Dijk play a few games before we talk about his impact maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Would have rather a draw like many said.

Fair play to Pool, thought City were coming back there.
    Despite the unbeaten season ending I'm not getting my hopes up of a City collapse. More worried about Chelsea and Pool against us now.

Need to beat Stoke tomorrow. Always nervous about playing a team the game after the manager has been sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Surprised not many are more at delighted at that result! Great to see City's run broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What bout rest defense and a keeper?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd rather we had the cushion on Pool tbh. I think this is the worst result for us right now.

It's quite an awkward situation to be put in. 'Would you like to be stabbed or shot?' kind of thing. For me, it's like this...

Liverpool have been playing some good stuff this past 6 weeks and overall have been on the up. Whether they won today or not, we still would have had to deal with Liverpool's rise sooner or later.

Still though, after some torrid results for us over Christmas, we still have our ability to finish above them in our own hands. Today's result is a temporary sting, if an acute one, but we still don't need outside help or results to hold Liverpool off. Where as this is not the case with City in the grander scheme of things.

With City - There are uncontacted tribes in the Andaman Islands off the coast of India who probably have heard about Pep and City's rise and dominance by now. Seriously though, the way things have been going, the prospect of a "power shift" in Manchester is somewhat real.

No, City haven't won 20 titles and a few CLs, but keep on their current trajectory and they certainly can achieve that level of success.

Fans and the media already are opining that they are the greatest PL team ever, and they haven't even officially won the title under Pep yet or have taken the CL by storm. Imagine what that will be like when they win not just this title, but a few more in the following seasons. Throw in a CL as well.

No thanks.

Look, I'm not going to kid anyone, let alone myself, that I really wanted Liverpool to win today, or ever. A draw would have been just fine in my book. But thinking of the bigger picture as a United fan, even if the title is theirs this season, City need to be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They will be back to winning ways next week and won’t be bothered until they hit the CL week, Basel, Arsenal, Chelsea, Basel. Might drop 2 or 3 to Chelsea there

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Surprised not many are more at delighted at that result! Great to see City's run broken.

For me it's the fact that Pools moved level on points with us and no doubt will have some more confidence now after Coutinhos departure.

I know we have a game in hand but I've pretty much given up the hope that City have a full on implosion leading to us catching them and am more worried about the chasing pack behind us picking up points.

• It’s a double edged sword, great seeing City thumped but with Liverpool (47), Chelsea (47), Spurs (44), so close we are in big trouble if the dreaded D returns and our attack goes off the boil again.

Stop being so negative all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is anyone really believing that Manchester City are not willing to spend a small bit more to get Sanchez? That just makes no sense.

We should be hammering stoke tomorrow night but i have a feeling it will be a struggle

GSPfan wrote: »
    Is anyone really believing that Manchester City are not willing to spend a small bit more to get Sanchez? That just makes no sense.

They bid 20m, we bid 35m and are willing to give a massive signing on fee and 60k a week more wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What bout rest defense and a keeper?

IMO it is not so much the players as the set up. Whoever plays is gonna be exposed in that set up. Obviously better players will help but the balance ain't right. It's a bit like United where Jose hasn't got the balance right between defence and attack but I'd rather the defence was sorted first then get the attack clicking.

• Advertisement

We should be hammering stoke tomorrow night but i have a feeling it will be a struggle

Thats what I think too. If Hughes was still there I'd be very confident.

But, could just be my opinion, struggling teams normally have a strange bounce back at times after a managers departure. Players out to prove a point and impress the incoming manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Adamocovic wrote: »
    For me it's the fact that Pools moved level on points with us and no doubt will have some more confidence now after Coutinhos departure.

I know we have a game in hand but I've pretty much given up the hope that City have a full on implosion leading to us catching them and am more worried about the chasing pack behind us picking up points.

Liverpool will mess it up, they always do. Them ending the city love in is great though.

There's a blueprint there now for other sides to take on city now as well. Hopefully they take notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Klopp is just a German Holloway. Not much notion how to work a defence but he can get an attack working brilliantly.

Liverpool will mess it up, they always do. Them ending the city love in is great though.

There's a blueprint there now for other sides to take on city now as well. Hopefully they take notice.

I think that's easier said than done. Fair play to Pool, and hopefully I'm wrong and City lose a few more but I'm not getting my hopes up that it's some pivotal game that will now lead to every top team adapting the same style and beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

GSPfan wrote: »

Not a hope. If they really want to sign him they will pay whatever it takes. They have been absolutely ruthless in the transfer market these past few months, often bidding way over the odds for players even with no competition, to secure them quickly.

There isn’t a hope that City want really want Sanchez and will be out bid by Utd. They either aren’t that pushed about signing him or they will sign him.

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think that's easier said than done. Fair play to Pool, and hopefully I'm wrong and City lose a few more but I'm not getting my hopes up that it's some pivotal game that will now lead to every top team adapting the same style and beating them.

I don't expect a load of teams to suddenly start beating them. But the sides who do have a bit of pace out wide and are capable of closing down when city try to play out from the back will now know there's definitely joy to be had from it.

Maybe more so in the champions league as I'm not sure enough premier league sides have the quality to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There is no blueprint. Liverpool are the only team in the league with the attack to take them on.

Anyone else try it and they'd be cut to ribbons.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Klopp is just a German Holloway. Not much notion how to work a defence but he can get an attack working brilliantly.

Thats an insult to klopp and a pretty silly statement to make

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We need to wipe the floor with Stoke tomorrow night - we could have City’s lead back to single digits the next time they kick off in the PL.

Pretty funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

That's a bit harsh. I would have thought he's more of a kevin keegan. Great to watch his team attack but at the end of the day can't win trophies

irishfeen wrote: »
    We need to wipe the floor with Stoke tomorrow night - we could have City’s lead back to single digits the next time they kick off in the PL.

G'wan the 'feen!

Get the positivity tractor started again, I'll hop on board.

17-0, I ayatoda so.

That's a bit harsh. I would have thought he's more of a kevin keegan. Great to watch his team attack but at the end of the day can't win trophies

:confused:

2 Bundesliga, 1 German Cup, and 1 German SuperCup??

football-borussia-dortmund-jurgan-klopp_3290938.jpg?20150415151949

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I've a feeling city will up the bid for sanchez now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Didn't he win two leagues in Germany and a few cups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have read a lot worse in regards our own manager in this thread of late.

It's not a silly thing to say he can't build a defence when it's particularly true..they were hanging on again today for the win they were lucky against Burnley couple weeks ago they were very lucky against leicester city before that. They threw away a lead against arsenal they threw away a lead against Everton.......

As you say one of the best attacks on the league but the manager can't teach the team how to control a game in midfield or defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Lukaku is anything to go by, I might be in the market for edible objects, such as hats if anyone can advise.

*Jurassic Park trembling water gif*

Edit: Dammit, Niallo beat me to it :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hococop wrote: »
    I've a feeling city will up the bid for sanchez now

I don't. They've still only lost one game (which they scored three goals in) and are miles ahead of everyone else. They will be annoyed by the loss, but it's not going to cause a panic. They were always going to lose a game at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

J. Marston wrote: »
    There is no blueprint. Liverpool are the only team in the league with the attack to take them on.

Anyone else try it and they'd be cut to ribbons.

Don't agree with this. Far too much respect for them shown by teams. Especially top 6 teams. Go at them and they make mistakes. Sit back and they will score.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Didn't he win two leagues in Germany and a few cups.

Jose won trophies as recently as last season for the club he is actually managing now butyet he is still called past it and not good enough.

For what it's worth I don't think klopp can't win trophies n do I care that much I'll worry about our own teams progress but calling a spade a spade he still hasnt done nothing for liverpool and until he does I don't see why he should be put on any level equal to a winning manager because he hasn't done that for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

jayo26 wrote: »

Have read a lot worse in regards our own manager in this thread of late.

It's not a silly thing to say he can't build a defence when it's particularly true..they were hanging on again today for the win they were lucky against Burnley couple weeks ago they were very lucky against leicester city before that. They threw away a lead against arsenal they threw away a lead against Everton.......

As you say one of the best attacks on the league but the manager can't teach the team how to control a game in midfield or defence.

Mostly true except the Leicester game, Liverpool were by far the better team in that game and should have won by more. VVD will make a difference that’s for sure

Wait. How does Klopp not have a gung ho attitude?

Mostly true except the Leicester game, Liverpool were by far the better team in that game and should have won by more. VVD will make a difference that’s for sure

I could be remembering the game wrong but you get my point.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jose won trophies as recently as last season for the club he is actually managing now butyet he is still called past it and not good enough.

For what it's worth I don't think klopp can't win trophies n do I care that much I'll worry about our own teams progress but calling a spade a spade he still hasnt done nothing for liverpool and until he does I don't see why he should be put on any level equal to a winning manager because he hasn't done that for Liverpool.

I didn't see anyone comparing José with Klopp. Someone mentioned his attacking style and then there was a comment that he can't win trophies.

He hasn't yet a Liverpool but he has in his career so the statement isn't right.
    For me a lot of criticism towards him from United fans is a result of the criticism that José gets, maybe a little defensive.

Anyway, tomorrow we can't have any slips. Bar spurs we haven't a bad run of games coming up and really need to start moving away from the chasing pack. Chelsea dropping points is something we need to take advantage of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If Lukaku is anything to go by, I might be in the market for edible objects, such as hats if anyone can advise.

You’ve seen his snap chat too so?

Wait. How does Klopp not have a gung ho attitude?

You compared him with ian holloway.

Thats an insult

You compared him with ian holloway.

Thats an insult

Explain then. Whats the difference? Both regularlty involved in high scoring matches and likely to shíte a match away in the closing stages. They cant close a match and are constantly vulnerable. They simultaneously manage to almost always pose a threat.

Explain then. Whats the difference? Both regularlty involved in high scoring matches and likely to shíte a match away in the closing stages. They cant close a match and are constantly vulnerable. They simultaneously manage to almost always pose a threat.

Did you ever see ian holloway in a champions league final after knocking out a jose mourinho real madrid side?

2 league titles in germany breaking records along the way.

Stop talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/ManUtdStuff/status/952615416161079296
    Alexis Sanchez is nearing his move to Manchester United, with Arsene Wenger keen to bring Henrikh Mkhitaryan to Arsenal as part of the deal & confident that the Chilean’s future will be resolved within 48 hours. [telegraph]

• Advertisement

Did you ever see ian holloway in a champions league final after knocking out a jose mourinho real madrid side?

2 league titles in germany breaking records along the way.

Stop talking nonsense

When did Liverpool manage that?

Oh wait you are talking about his Dortmund side from years ago. You forgotten hes at Liverpool now you teapot? I was talking about his Liverpool team. Most people have been. Keep up lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

The difference is that one has won trophies and the other hasn't. Pretty big difference imo.

SteM wrote: »
    The difference is that one has won trophies and the other hasn't. Pretty big difference imo.

At Liverpool he won trophies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

When did Liverpool manage that?

Oh wait you are talking about his Dortmund side from years ago. You forgotten hes at Liverpool now you teapot? I was talking about his Liverpool team. Most people have been. Keep up lad.

Yeah he's at Liverpool, in the Champions League knock out stages and in the top 4 of the league.

Ian Holloway is at QPR. Your comparison is utterly stupid.

Yeah he's at Liverpool, in the Champions League knock out stages and in the top 4 of the league.

Ian Holloway is at QPR. Your comparison is utterly stupid.

Ah here fine. Klopp is the new tactical genius then. Controlled the game from start to finish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement