Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    Giggs gets that job over my dead body...
    And that's before Jayo has his say on it

He means the English ladies team not the boards ladies team :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Andy Mitten reporting we're about to announce JOse has signed a contract extension.

Pointless exercise.

Sure he has only 18 months left before he burns down old trafford and smelts down the holy trinity statue.

#Bustedflush

#portugesepulis

#wheresmebus

#wheresmechequebook

#whatsthestorywithdocsbeard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Imagine the joy around then ;););)

Tell you what, PSG will be furious given he had already signed with them and was hotel room shopping in Paris :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

GSPfan wrote: »
    For all we know the Sanchez deal is done and Mkhitaryan to Arsenal is being trashed out. Arsenal will want a player coming in as Sanchez goes because their fans will be seething.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

Mkhi better not **** this up. Gonna find him on twitter and encourage/abuse him out the door!

So City pulled out when Alexis agreed to join us? It’s like finding out your bird is going to dump you and getting in there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GSPfan wrote: »
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

Mkhi better not **** this up. Gonna find him on twitter and encourage/abuse him out the door!

So City pulled out when Alexis agreed to join us? It’s like finding out your bird is going to dump you and getting in there first.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if it was confirmed that any deal fell through because Mkhitaryan couldn't agree terms. Say in a few weeks Jose gives him another start and he puts in another crap performance, rightly or wrongly I would say the crowd would be giving him dogs abuse.

That must be playing on his mind, how can he reject a move knowing that the manager doesn't want him and the fans would rather have Sanchez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

From Arsenal’s point of view this month is their last chance to make some cash on Sanchez. Surely they have to see him move on this month?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if it was confirmed that any deal fell through because Mkhitaryan couldn't agree terms. Say in a few weeks Jose gives him another start and he puts in another crap performance, rightly or wrongly I would say the crowd would be giving him dogs abuse.

That must be playing on his mind, how can he reject a move knowing that the manager doesn't want him and the fans would rather have Sanchez?

He really is being put in between a rock and a hard place. It seems to me like his agent has told him to play hard ball and get the best deal he can. I fully expect it to happen now. Still a chance it won’t but this is why swap deals are difficult and avoided in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You think he's on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Supposedly John Cross(semi reliable for Arsenal news) is saying that Alexis will be moving to United even if Mkhi fails to agree terms, he is looking for more thank 150k that he is on now and the deal has both players valued at 35m so it’s a straight swap.. Riola wants 5m agent fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mikki’s united stint has been thoroughly forgettable, hard to fathom why he expects the club in 6th place to give him 200k a week, it wouldn’t be long before Arsenal fans despised him if he keeps up the level of performances we have seen at United.

If it’s the only stumbling block I think united should just pay the difference in wages, we are getting a completely superior player and if it’s a straight swap it’s an incredible deal already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Probably posted already but I think this saga is unfair on Mkhi'. If he decides Arsenal aren't right for him and he returns to the club, the fans will blame him for not getting Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In fairness, put that in the context of Wales hiring Giggs, when it comes to an international team hiring an ex United player with little coaching experience is there any real difference between the two?

Perhaps it is Neville who is giving the womens game more respect than most in that he genuinely sees it as a good move professionally.

Giggs should be nowhere near that Wales job. What has he proven to anyone in the game yet as a coach? I'd have been as equally annoyed about him being appointed England women's manager as I am about Neville!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Giggs should be nowhere near that Wales job. What has he proven to anyone in the game yet as a coach? I'd have been as equally annoyed about him being appointed England women's manager as I am about Neville!

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

John Herdman to my knowledge hadn't any previous experience managing at a top level when took over New Zealand but has gone on to have a good career.

More times than not it does end badly but we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Why not? He is a welsh legend.

Sure what has he to do? Pick a squad of players every few months and it is normally the same squad every time. Have a few training sessions before a game, play the match and thats it. He has years of experience playing under the greatest manager in british history. He will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Big names put bums on seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Im not disagreeing at all but names often get jobs. Wales in particular have a history of going for ex players without a tonne of experience, if you look at Hughes his first management job was Wales and Speed had only a short stint with Sheffield United. The other option on the list was Bellamy who's equally inexperienced. Not a great list of options available particularly when it comes to international jobs.

Paul Lambert got a job in the Premier league which tells you what's available from a managerial perspective. Neville for the England job seems to have been about 5th choice looking at some quick articles. Big ex players get an easy run at some management jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

To play devil's advocate.... manager's have to start somewhere. Wales isn't an elite football nation. Other's have been appointed in much more elite positions with the same experience and gone on to win trophies.

The options for quality managers that are available right now are pretty thin on the ground.

It's not like this appointment makes any less sense than Premier League clubs taking punts on managers who have been rejected elsewhere multiple times (Pardew, Moyes, Hogdson, Benitez, etc) being their silver bullet to suddenly improve their team. The same thing seems to happen regularly in leagues around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Would love to see a video of LVG and Joses pep talk before games. Giggs looked like he hadn't a clue what to say or do

• Advertisement

Simon Stone of the BBC confirming Jose's contract extension is close to being announced :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I find the reaction to Giggs team talk odd. This appeared to be a wrap up at the end of a briefing, where a more gental relaxed ending may be required and the norm? It was not a motivation talk before going on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If by windows end we still have Mhiki instead of Sanchez, Mhiki would want to be MOTM is any games he does play or else he'll have annoyed many.

There's footage doing the rounds today of Giggsy giving a team talk before his final game as United caretaker manager before LVG came in. It is extremely uninspiring.
    Sorry about the Joe link, it was the best of a very bad bunch to choose from...

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/ryan-giggs-team-talk-manchester-united-157730

I just watched that clip now, that was only a briefing in the hotel. Its probably the exact same for nearly every game for every manager. All the hard work is done on the training ground. I thought you were talking about team talk in dressing before players went out on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

pjohnson wrote: »
    If by windows end we still have Mhiki instead of Sanchez, Mhiki would want to be MOTM is any games he does play or else he'll have annoyed many.

Arsenal fan here.

I really don't understand this thinking.

Why should anyone go work somewhere they dont want to just to make others happy????

Its bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Arsenal fan here.

I really don't understand this thinking.

Why should anyone go work somewhere they dont want to just to make others happy????

Its bonkers.

United fan here... i dont think like the op

DM_7 wrote: »
    I find the reaction to Giggs team talk odd. This appeared to be a wrap up at the end of a briefing, where a more gental relaxed ending may be required and the norm? It was not a motivation talk before going on the pitch.

Its the inane nature of what he was saying. I know there is nothing new under the sun and most such team talks will tend to follow the same lines, but that really was some simplistic ****.

The stirring motivational talk might come later but in a team briefing you would expect to hear some insight to the game ahead, instead the clip just shows gems such as:
    Today we are going to have to work hard, because these work their bollocks off and their are good at home
    but the team that we got we experience, we got pace, we got players who....are comfortable on the ball...
    they do die at the end, so, subs, you might come on and win the game, so, concentrate and watch the game
    but, its last game of the season, we want to end on a high, we want to give our fans something to shout about
    Its been a frustrating season but its a good game to play in and one I'm looking forward to because of the exciting players on the pitch. ok.

All delivered in monotone, lots of dead air and immediately following the word "pitch" the players are up and out of there, which is clearly all they wanted to do all along.

Thats the team briefing for the last match of the season and likely the last one he would ever give at United, and its 100% charisma free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Its the inane nature of what he was saying. I know there is nothing new under the sun and most such team talks will tend to follow the same lines, but that really was some simplistic ****.

The stirring motivational talk might come later but in a team briefing you would expect to hear some insight to the game ahead, instead the clip just shows gems such as:

All delivered in monotone, lots of dead air and immediately following the word "pitch" the players are up and out of there, which is clearly all they wanted to do all along.

Thats the team briefing for the last match of the season and likely the last one he would ever give at United, and its 100% charisma free.

GIGGS OUT!

City or liverpool were going to win the league. Id say most of the players were thinking about what swimwear they were bringing on their holidays that evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Don't know if anyone has already posted this: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3342625/anderson-talks-to-espn-fc-about-his-manchester-united-career Interview with Anderson, sounds like he really loved his time at Utd

Could be real, ****in looks it

Nvm.. Photoshop.. Lindelof’s body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

According to sky, Sanchez will be a straight swap for miki-t. Looks to me like we’re getting a rolls Royce in exchange for a Skoda. But I’m sure arsenal know what they’re doing...

According to sky, Sanchez will be a straight swap for miki-t. Looks to me like we’re getting a rolls Royce in exchange for a Skoda. But I’m sure arsenal know what they’re doing...

A charismatic wenger will have him lighting up 6th spot in no time

Those Giggs quotes read like something out of a generic Football Manager prematch talk.

Those Giggs quotes read like something out of a generic Football Manager prematch talk.

tbh I find most managers team talks to be fairly cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Owryan wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has already posted this: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3342625/anderson-talks-to-espn-fc-about-his-manchester-united-career Interview with Anderson, sounds like he really loved his time at Utd

A great read.

Nice insight on Van Gaal as well

Where do you think football manager gets them from??

bangkok wrote: »
    Where do you think football manager gets them from??

Here obvs

bring your dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

limnam wrote: »
    tbh I find most managers team talks to be fairly cringey.

They were discussing managerial team talks on Off the Ball a few years ago and Colm Parkinson was saying Mick O'Dwyer was the most inspiring exponent of the art he had known. One of the other guys asked him what kind of things Micko was saying in his talks. Woolly waits a beat: "Generic stuff.":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

At this point football manager just do that and the dumb ass interviews to troll the gamers. Years they have been highlighted as not only pointless and boring, but ****ing headwrecking.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Well worth the read, great interview. Was a brilliant player in his early years with utd.

Some great quotes in that!
    After that, I want to be close to my family. I have five children: Three girls and two boys. I am friends with the mothers.

Seems to be quite a character...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    Well worth the read, great interview. Was a brilliant player in his early years with utd.

He was very good on occasions. Brilliant in his early years with United is very generous.

Inconsistent form, inconsistent physique and end product wasn't there a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He handed over to his assistant after

The assistant reported back that the players were ready to walk through walls to get a result :D

Some great quotes in that!

Seems to be quite a character...

As the majority of brazilians are ;)

Nalz wrote: »
    He was very good on occasions. Brilliant in his early years with United is very generous.

Inconsistent form, inconsistent physique and end product wasn't there a lot.

He won the golden boy at united. Best young player in the world at the time. Going up against gerrard and the likes and dominating them as a kid

Good team talk...

Good team talk...

Talking defensive tactics and about not losing....

Draw written all over it :)

• Advertisement

Who needs fancy team talks. Just draw it.

paul-ince.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement