Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Some great quotes in that!

After that, I want to be close to my family. I have five children: Three girls and two boys. I am friends with the mothers.

Seems to be quite a character...

He even has more kids then Gerard has medals wtf like......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    He even has more kids then Gerard has medals wtf like......

He also has more medals than Gerrard has medals. ;)
    My Champions League medal is safe. And my four Premier League medals.

He also has more medals than Gerrard has medals. ;)

B6_V7zx2_CIAANT2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

David Ornstein confirmed that it's a player swap with no cash involved. Btw he is god tier for Arsenal news according to their reddit.

• Advertisement

Sky also going with the story of jose signing new deal until 2021.

bangkok wrote: »
    Talking defensive tactics and about not losing....

Draw written all over it :)

"I am not putting pressure on you to win, but you must not lose this game"

There's passion there, unlike that video with Giggs and the lads in the social club earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

"I am not putting pressure on you to win, but you must not lose this game"

There's passion there, unlike that video with Giggs and the lads in the social club earlier.

You're comparing a guy who managed a team he played with for years played with the players for years who was in as an interim manager for a handful of games to Jose.

I'd like to hear more form you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    David Ornstein confirmed that it's a player swap with no cash involved. Btw he is god tier for Arsenal news according to their reddit.

He’s the BBC for Arsenal news, they wouldn’t allow that to be aired without being checked over a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Literally the gospel, him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Literally the gospel, him.

So is that a good sign

Again not getting invested haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Loved that Anderson interview, had to laugh at “beachy” and “housey”.

He was a right character, always remember how he used to go into the wall for a free kick and just face the keeper taunting him.

limnam wrote: »
    You're comparing a guy who managed a team he played with for years played with the players for years who was in as an interim manager for a handful of games to Jose.

I'd like to hear more form you.

I'm comparing what a manager of Manchester United should be like, the demeanor, the passion. Not necessarily the finer details of the tactics and formations.

Giggs wanted the big chair, was apparently sour with the club over not getting it eventually, so I'm pointing out that it likely never would have worked at that time.

The fact that they were all his friends in there and former team-mates isn't lost on me, I can't imagine that it's easy to suddenly appear authoritative to such a group. Also, the fact that it was a dead-rubber game isn't lost on me either.

Still though, think back to that time. It was the end of the Moyes season. Media attention was focused on Giggs in the manager role. Sure, the spell was only for a few games in an interim capacity, but it was essentially a job interview as far as Giggs hoped/was concerned. No matter who else was linked or rumoured for the job.

If Giggs wanted a shot at the job which he definitely did IMO, well it's a case of 'Sorry the situation isn't ideal for you Ryan and these matches aren't in the knock-out stages of the CL, but it is what it is, make the best of it now that you have it'.

Simply, he can't hide behind the fact that the games 'meant nothing'. They meant nothing to the league, but for him he was getting a shot at being manager of Manchester United.

In his defense - 'Fúcking City or Liverpool are going to win the league...give the fans something to cheer about'. Giggs knew that situation was completely unacceptable and utterly dejecting for the fans. He knew the whole season was. He knows Manchester United through and through, loves the club, and maybe that's why at that point of that season, he looks completely uninspired and uninspiring.

I just read about the Jose contract rumours. That's great if true. You'd have to think that he must be feeling very good in his position if he's signing the new contract now. He must have gotten a few assurances, maybe something else too. A bottle of Chilean red from Woodward perhaps.

Elsewhere - The below image for wages/turnover is reassuring. The graph shows the money a club spends on wages versus all of the income it generates.

psCo6ji.jpg?2

Despite the fact that Ashley Young is on £600k per week, despite the fact we were just directly linking fans season ticket payments to Zlatan's account last year, the club have the lowest wages to turnover percentage out of all PL clubs. That's an extremely well-run machine, economically.

More bonkers partnerships please, Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ.. that Mkhitaryan deal would be great for Arsenal, but fairly terrible for Mkhitaryan... if he's going to leave, he'd surely fancy a better club than Arsenal at the moment. He's still a bloody good player that lots of CL teams would love to have, and Arsenal are only going one direction right now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe the bleach will get rid of the taste of salty tears.

https://twitter.com/AddyNas13/status/952671675165954051

Nice one him trying to cover it up in the replies.

I dunno, it's such a bold, definitive statement to make. It sets him up nicely to make one of his trademark eruptions on the popular AFTV if Sanchez does end up at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Despite the fact that Ashley Young is on £600k per week, despite the fact we were just directly linking fans season ticket payments to Zlatan's account last year, the club have the lowest wages to turnover percentage out of all PL clubs. That's an extremely well-run machine, economically.

More bonkers partnerships please, Ed.

Not to mention the 2.3 Billion in Bonus Martial has got since he moved

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ.. that Mkhitaryan deal would be great for Arsenal, but fairly terrible for Mkhitaryan... if he's going to leave, he'd surely fancy a better club than Arsenal at the moment. He's still a bloody good player that lots of CL teams would love to have, and Arsenal are only going one direction right now..

Not sure what big clubs will be in for him. In Spain I don't think any of the 3 teams would want him, In Germany I don't think Bayern will be interested and Dortmund can't pay his wages.

He won't be starter at PSG and Monaco can't pay his wages.

So not sure what big clubs are left that will sign him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Arsenal would be a big attraction to Miki. A big club, good history, London appeal, good stadium. They are putting in place strctures to be ready for Wenger going. New head of recruitment is from Dortmund who would have a good knowledge of Mkhitaryan.

You would imagine that puts Arsenal in a good place to get best out of him

Unfortunately at United his form fell back as the season went on. Up to November it was bad but more recently he looked like someone who knows his time is running out at United. With Jose looking like signing an extension to his contract Miki knows he can't wait out the manager and get a freah start that way.

He was a huge part of Europa win last season, scored that great goal v Spurs started this season really well so potential to be much better is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Owryan wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has already posted this: http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3342625/anderson-talks-to-espn-fc-about-his-manchester-united-career Interview with Anderson, sounds like he really loved his time at Utd

Love the guy, his contributions to our recent success tend to fly under the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hopefully we hear word today we have started a deal for Moura. Can't let him go to Napoli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure what big clubs will be in for him. In Spain I don't think any of the 3 teams would want him, In Germany I don't think Bayern will be interested and Dortmund can't pay his wages.

He won't be starter at PSG and Monaco can't pay his wages.

So not sure what big clubs are left that will sign him.

I think Bayern could really do with him actually. Juve another good option. Even Napoli and Roma. Valencia. Atleti could do with him. Teams that can offer champions league football, and aren’t about to undergo a massive several-year rebuild.

If he goes to Arsenal, he won’t challenge for anything or play CL football again. They’re likely to be replacing their manager and having to replace key positions all over the pitch. They need 10 players at this stage, at least 5 of them nailed on starters, from GK, to CB, FB, CM, the wing, and in attack. They’ve allowed the club to get into an absolute disaster of a position with players that are old and past it, retiring, out of contract, or just plain not good enough. And they’ve little to sell to fund all this. Maybe Bellerin could fetch good money... Lacazette who just joined and hasn’t exactly hit the ground running... anyone else there worth much and not in the last few months of their contract? And the prices players cost now... very hard to fill all the positions they need with decent level players now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

What was it. Link not working for me.

I think Bayern could really do with him actually. Juve another good option. Even Napoli and Roma. Valencia. Atleti could do with him. Teams that can offer champions league football, and aren’t about to undergo a massive several-year rebuild.

If he goes to Arsenal, he won’t challenge for anything or play CL football again. They’re likely to be replacing their manager and having to replace key positions all over the pitch. They need 10 players at this stage, at least 5 of them nailed on starters, from GK, to CB, FB, CM, the wing, and in attack. They’ve allowed the club to get into an absolute disaster of a position with players that are old and past it, retiring, out of contract, or just plain not good enough. And they’ve little to sell to fund all this. Maybe Bellerin could fetch good money... Lacazette who just joined and hasn’t exactly hit the ground running... anyone else there worth much and not in the last few months of their contract? And the prices players cost now... very hard to fill all the positions they need with decent level players now.

Why would Bayern sign him, they already have better players in every position.

Napoli, Roma won't pay him big wages or even match the wages he is on. Same with Atletico Madrid.

Valencia were seen as s joke just last season and now you are saying they are better than Arsenal? You are downplaying Arsenal chances and they don't need complete new team, all they need is change of manager and few good signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hopefully we hear word today we have started a deal for Moura. Can't let him go to Napoli.

If we signing sanchez there is no need for moura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If we signing sanchez there is no need for moura

Well it doesnt appear Mhiki wants Arsenal so we should forget Sanchez since we went for a swop deal. No point waiting and waiting and waiting until we can get no one.

Well it doesnt appear Mhiki wants Arsenal so we should forget Sanchez since we went for a swop deal. No point waiting and waiting and waiting until we can get no one.

Its only been a couple of days.... patience my son. Patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bayern and Juve is crazy talk, it’s very telling that the 6th place team in the PL with very little ambition are the only ones in the race. He’s been shít for two years with the occasional decent run of two or three games mostly of which came in the europa league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tbh this deal goes ahead regardless of mkhitaryan IMO. Jose doesn't like a big squad so it's two birds to offload Mkhitaryan at the same time but if he doesn't, he'll still take Sanchez

Bayern and Juve is crazy talk, it’s very telling that the 6th place team in the PL with very little ambition are the only ones in the race. He’s been shít for two years with the occasional decent run of two or three games mostly of which came in the europa league.

I dont think its as easy as that. Mkhitarayan is being forced upon arsenal. He probably doesnt want to go there and arsenal would rather keep sanchez. Both are being bullied into a deal.... apart from sanchez who is mad to leave arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I dont think its as easy as that. Mkhitarayan is being forced upon arsenal. He probably doesnt want to go there and arsenal would rather keep sanchez. Both are being bullied into a deal.... apart from sanchez who is mad to leave arsenal

Of course Id much prefer to sit on the bench at United getting 200k a week instead of going to Arsenal too, they would do without Miki if we offered them 30-40 million for Sanchez, but then we’d have to get 25-30 million elsewhere for Mkhitaryan and the reality is nobody will pay that for him.

• bangkok wrote: »

:pac:

It’s a swap deal right now, but the main journos are saying that even if Mkhi says no to Arsenal Sanchez will still move for Cash.. it suits both teams to have it as a straight swap.. it will just make it more drawn out if he decides to say no

Shamelessly stolen from the Caf,

giphy.gif

Credit to Code-cx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If the deal goes through, and at a swap, it will arguably be the best bit of transfer business we've ever done.

In the days of massively inflated fees for bang average players, someone like Sanchez on essentially a free transfer would be the bargain of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If the deal goes through, and at a swap, it will arguably be the best bit of transfer business we've ever done.

In the days of massively inflated fees for bang average players, someone like Sanchez on essentially a free transfer would be the bargain of the century.

Using that logic, you can say we are giving away Miki on a free transfer which would be up there with the worst piece of business.

It's a good deal, but Miki isn't a disposable youth team player, 4-5 months ago there was talk of us building our attack around him

Well no.. that means you are valuing Mkhi at free, Mkhi is worth about 25m in this market, but he is woefully out of form and lost all confidence, will be interesting to see if he can get it back..

So Sanchez for 25m? That’s a steal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I would wait until the end of the season to judge if it is good transfer business.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

This whole transfer saga is starting to do my head in , too many twats trying to be 'ITK' spouting nonsense on twitter. Has me pining for the days of getting my transfer updates on Ceefax, really showing my age now! Hopefully this can get done today.

• Advertisement

Today is the day right?

or is it tomorrow?

rekluse wrote: »
    This whole transfer saga is starting to do my head it, too many twats trying to be 'ITK' spouting nonsense on twitter. Has me pining for the days of getting my transfer updates on Ceefax, really showing my age now! Hopefully this can get done today.

Still remember coming home enjoy from school and seeing we bought Andy Cole on it, like twas yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Still remember coming home enjoy from school and seeing we bought Andy Cole on it, like twas yesterday

The same - much simpler times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Using that logic, you can say we are giving away Miki on a free transfer which would be up there with the worst piece of business.

It's a good deal, but Miki isn't a disposable youth team player, 4-5 months ago there was talk of us building our attack around him

Jose clearly doesn't rate him.

On that basis he will be getting limited game time.

On that basis he will devalue as the months go by.

Getting someone like Sanchez in place of a player that isn't wanted, freeing up his wages and not paying a transfer fee is imo excellent business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Jose clearly doesn't rate him.

On that basis he will be getting limited game time.

On that basis he will devalue as the months go by.

Getting someone like Sanchez in place of a player that isn't wanted, freeing up his wages and not paying a transfer fee is imo excellent business.

Im not debating its excellent business. But if United sell Miki for cash now its not less than 25m. Maybe drops to 17-18m in the summer, but to call it a free transfer is just wrong.

Even those prices are based on fire sale - no one wanting him, and United trying to get rid. He's an established international with a big reputation, in multiple countries. It could be that Arsenals interest was genuine before we came in for Sanchez - they're replacing Walcott also, and Iwobi had badly underperformed - which only raises the price. I'm sure clubs in Italy would have an interest also.

I see liverpool have now joined the race for malcom. Could easily see him join liverpool over arsenal. Arsenal are a mess at the moment with wenger likely gone in the summer. Wi be hard to convince any player to join. Hopefully sanchez joins us quickly and we can move forward and arsenal can slip back into the dark ages :)

I see liverpool have now joined the race for malcom. Could easily see him join liverpool over arsenal. Arsenal are a mess at the moment with wenger likely gone in the summer. Wi be hard to convince any player to join. Hopefully sanchez joins us quickly and we can move forward and arsenal can slip back into the dark ages :)

Reports are that Arsenal will be going for 2 of the three, Mkhi, Malcom and Auba. Maybe they are pushing hard for Auba at the min.. think it was quotes from the agent that were basically whoring him out to pool that started the pool links, so it could be him trying to put pressure on Arsenal . don’t think he would get much gametime there to develop properly

Simon stones twitter account has been suspended :pac: think they banned the wrong one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/953575542732808192

"Arsenal think Mkhitaryan wants to come, Sanchez deal still on, biggest danger is Raiola pushing things too far, plenty of negotiating to be done. Arsenal still interested in Evans and Malcom. Don’t think Malcom happens if they get Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan".

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/953575542732808192

"Arsenal think Mkhitaryan wants to come, Sanchez deal still on, biggest danger is Raiola pushing things too far, plenty of negotiating to be done. Arsenal still interested in Evans and Malcom. Don’t think Malcom happens if they get Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan".

Saying raiola is telling arsenal to give mkhitarayan the same deal they were offering sanchez

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement