Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What time are these announcements going to be made?

Just to have the beers ready :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pogba was half twelve at night. Mata around this time iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant help thinking it'll be 30th January :/

I hope they didnt count Lingards Instagram takeover as one of the announcements!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Cant help thinking it'll be 30th January :/

I hope they didnt count Lingards Instagram takeover as one of the announcements!

Read a good comment. Should Lingard announce the Sanchez transfer he'll have single handedly destroyed arsenal twice this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mata does a great job for United, his lack of any pace does waste some good moments from deeper positions but he is a slow sprinter rather than slow in the first few yard.

In quick interplay he has fast feet, he takes up great positions around the box, links play really well, good visions, eye for goal but could do more there.

He really copes well with pressure of the big stage while others wilt, he can also handle competition, saw of Di Maria and now Miki. Contributes well even when coming into the team after not getting picked.

I really hope he has his contract extended. Would be a big loss to the club.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Mata does a great job for United, his lack of any pace does waste some good moments from deeper positions but he is a slow sprinter rather than slow in the first few yard.

In quick interplay he has fast feet, he takes up great positions around the box, links play really well, good visions, eye for goal but could do more there.

He really copes well with pressure of the big stage while others wilt, he can also handle competition, saw of Di Maria and now Miki. Contributes well even when coming into the team after not getting picked.

I really hope he has his contract extended. Would be a big loss to the club.

Yup and he's probably got the sexiest first touch in football. Some of the first time control he's shown has been unbelievable. I'm sure he;s a great character around the place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think ultimately Mata won’t be a starter when Jose has all his pieces in place.
    I wouldn’t have him in my first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sky saying still no agreement. Guess Lingard WAS the big announcement.

It's absolute nonsense. Can anyone explain how all we heard about VanDyke was the 75m fee? I don't remember anyone adding on the agents fees that were paid, the signing on bonus, the wages, the bonuses.

There's absolutely no way we're paying him 27m a year. It's simply not true.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Yep. Just like Sanchez will be rated worse than Bebe by the weekend.

It's interesting to see just how shít he has become since the last time he actually played a game.

That's basically saying we're paying him net 519k a week. Absolute rubbish if anyone believes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayop wrote: »
    That's basically saying we're paying him net 519k a week. Absolute rubbish if anyone believes that.

Sure pogba was ment to be on over 300k a week after tax at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Whatever he's getting paid, you'd assume Ibrahimovic is gone in the summer anyway so if there's an increase in the wage bill, it'll probably be negligible.

Also, Pot Noodle or whoever will be on the sleeve next season will cover the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/953698008570515456

So basically it’s Matt law pushing those figures, looks like Chelsea want it out there to justify them going for Andy Carroll instead.. same as City using their brief to say Chelsea were involved..

Honestly Sports Witness is the only twitter account that's worth listening to regarding transfers. Cuts all the BS out and seems to give an honest interpretation of what's actually happening and known.

Jayop wrote: »
    Honestly Sports Witness is the only twitter account that's worth listening to regarding transfers. Cuts all the BS out and seems to give an honest interpretation of what's actually happening and known.

They are like the jayo26 and jayop of Twitter... Nothing but straight up honesty :)

Are pages still not updating right for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I saw it reported by James Ducker at the Telegraph earlier this month that Mata's contract extension had been activated...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/04/manchester-united-extend-contracts-four-players-12-months/

Then yesterday, Rob Dawson at ESPN came out saying that Mata's extension hasn't been activated yet, and that means he's free to talk to other clubs now if he wants to.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchester-united/story/3350301/juan-mata-may-leave-manchester-united-for-free-this-summer-sources

So I'm not quite sure what the craic is. Stephen Howson on Full Time Devils was talking about it last night, and as far as he's concerned Mata's contract extension hasn't been activated yet.

Thoughts?

Howson is an ape,I wouldn't believe anything he says. read there the other day that apparently he charges people €20 to meet up before games for a chat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Howson is an ape,I wouldn't believe anything he says. read there the other day that apparently he charges people €20 to meet up before games for a chat :D

He used to be at that alright. 20 pound for him to bring ya to a pub and talk ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So I hear we have it all wrapped up.

He wanted half a million a week net but Big Ed wasn't having any of it.

He insisted on a million a week, £100k appearance fee, £150k goal bonus, the first born son of everyone on the United staff, a scotch egg and a signed photo of the late, great, Keith Chegwin.

It was touch and go for a while but we managed to get it done.

Viva la cheque book!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

adox wrote: »
    I think ultimately Mata won’t be a starter when Jose has all his pieces in place.
    I wouldn’t have him in my first 11.

Ultimately yes. He is not guaranteed first 11 now, he is not Pogba, Lukaku, Matic, Valencia, Jones or De Gea. His appearances have reduced from LVGs last season but is in top 10 in total appearances last and this season (5th this year).

I would say he is first 14 and would stay at that even if Jose continues to change the first 11. Di Maria, Rooney and Miki, none could contribute as consistently as Mata. His record shows he is important to the club. If he leaves to start every week at another club I could understand it but I would not welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

I wonder if Jose rates Herrera.

When Herrera starts, he's odds on to get a yellow card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I wonder if Jose rates Herrera.

When Herrera starts, he's odds on to get a yellow card

To be fair Herrera is a squad player.

Cotts72 wrote: »

I like the channel, well I like Adam and Steve. Steve does hold opinions which make my head spin at times, but that's all part of it. I mentioned him in my post because I thought that if any fan would know whether Mata's situation was sorted or not, or would have heard something, it'd be the guys on the ground in Manchester on FTD. They do have some connections.

However, with such conflicting reports out there over Mata's contract situation, I don't think FTD or the journos really know anything about it.
    yabadabado wrote: »
    He used to be at that alright. 20 pound for him to bring ya to a pub and talk ****e

...and pay for his drinks too probably??

I did not know this. Haha, the cheeky git. Any adult fan willing to pay money to have a chat with another fan in the pub is more to blame here. I'm willing to put this down to 'cute hoor' and Howson making a few bucks on the side from fools and their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Matt Law saying we are giving Sanchez 770k a week is delicious, it’ll be half that if the deal is done, and not much more than the 100 million Chelsea will spend altogether on Morata which, conveniently, he was saying was a coup last summer.

:pac:

It’s going up by the hour :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Look at it this way, if we gave him 500k a week (we won’t) over the 4 years it’ll be around the same as Chelsea will pay for Morata and less than Liverpool will pay for centre back Virgil Van Dijk.

• Advertisement

Look at it this way, if we gave him 500k a week (we won’t) over the 4 years it’ll be around the same as Chelsea will pay for Morata and less than Liverpool will pay for centre back Virgil Van Dijk.

Anyone who doesn't believe that the print media especially should compare how the VanDyke transfer fee was reported compared to how the Sanchez one is.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=abNfWv-YIofEgAbOk4OABA&q=virgil+vaN+DYKE+deal+to+liverpool+cost&oq=virgil+vaN+DYKE+deal+to+liverpool+cost&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.2520.6076.0.6475.15.14.1.0.0.0.189.1245.11j3.14.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.1067....0.Hi9_8By6YP8

A simple look through the google results for that will show that the only figure mentioned as a top line figure is the basic fee. Was there no agents involved in that one? Is he not being paid by Liverpool, did he not get a signing bonus.

It's farcical. The lads on Off The Ball are actually among the worst. Can't remember the name of the main presenter but his hatred for Jose and United has peaked over Christmas. His tongue is so far up every other managers hole he could taste their dinners. I've had to stop listening to the show altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So Sanchez is getting a signing on fee on 50 million with a weekely wage of 10 million if its not done my tomorrow morning, have i got that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have to think that if we were paying Sanchez THAT much, that Riola will be in the office on monday demanding a new deal for Pogba, maybe Lukaku too and Mendes will be looking for some big contract for DDG. Then anyone we sign in the summer will be looking for big sums too.

It wouldn't be just about what Sanchez is getting paid, it would be about the effect that such a wage would have on the pay of other players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

beakerjoe wrote: »
    So Sanchez is getting a signing on fee on 50 million with a weekely wage of 10 million if its not done my tomorrow morning, have i got that right?

No, God No, it's the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Someone better let the powers that be at united know there signing a washed up difficult player who wouldn't get into Liverpools first team and Is earning five hundred thousand a week!

Thank god for the posters of the soccer forum we nearly got scammed there!!

By the way where not aloud comment on how much money city spend anymore!!

Someone better let the powers that be at united know there signing a washed up difficult player who wouldn't get into Liverpools first team and Is earning five hundred thousand a week!

Sure Martial and Pogba wouldn't get into that team either. Mignolet probably better than De Gea aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sure Martial and Pogba wouldn't get into that team either. Mignolet probably better than De Gea aswell.

Martial the massive failure and Pogba who's worth no more then 30 million??

De Gea is keeping us in the top 4 so I've heard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Some Mata stat flashed up on Monday night. Was it most consecutive starts under Mourinho or at United? I'm assuming it's the former.

I'm wondering if he would be tempted to go off and get one last bumper contract if the talk of his contract not being extended is true.

Sounds odd that United wouldn't trigger it if it's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

As I have said before, it is what comes of being the biggest fish in the sea.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Cringeworthy stuff by some. #usuals

astradave wrote: »

The way it’s been spun by some of the media is pretty sick tbh. They hold huge influence over public opinion.
    There are less and less professional football journalists that I have any respect or time for. They are the same as the editors who write the shockingly distasteful headlines in the red tops.

Exactly what I compared a couple days ago the coverage we get is polar opposite to others and it's like it feeds into some fans too.

Seemingly Jose failed by investing in youth when signing lukaku and pogba so now he is going for the older at the end of his career option ya just gotta laugh.

• Astronomical levels of bitter from these so called pundits, experts
    Not to mention on twitter and on boards

I've never seen it as bad since Utd at their peak under Fergie

I ****ing love it

Utd

It's great to be so relevant again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mignolet probably better than De Gea aswell.

A ****ing scarecrow would save more than Ming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

jayo26 wrote: »
    Exactly what I compared a couple days ago the coverage we get is polar opposite to others and it's like it feeds into some fans too.

Seemingly Jose failed by investing in youth when signing lukaku and pogba so now he is going for the older at the end of his career option ya just gotta laugh.

Needed some serious will power to not respond to that when I read it, unbelievable.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Some Mata stat flashed up on Monday night. Was it most consecutive starts under Mourinho or at United? I'm assuming it's the former.

I'm wondering if he would be tempted to go off and get one last bumper contract if the talk of his contract not being extended is true.

Sounds odd that United wouldn't trigger it if it's their choice.

The first time since 2014 that he has started 7 consecutive games

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Astronomical levels of bitter from these so called pundits, experts
    Not to mention on twitter and on boards

I've never seen it as bad since Utd at their peak under Fergie

I ****ing love it

Utd

It's great to be so relevant again ;)

I couldnt give a toss but it's annoying when it seekps into places like here and is first type thing that's thrown around the minute there is a negative result.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I couldnt give a toss but it's annoying when it seekps into places like here and is first type thing that's thrown around the minute there is a negative result.

#bus
    #negative
    #most expensive squad ever

emmetkenny wrote: »
    A ****ing scarecrow would save more than Ming.

I said before you are probably the best Liverpool fan on boards! Most sensible anyway Em!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement