Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!!!

He got the winner at Anfield. He’s a hero!!

He picked his moments for greatness with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He is definitely up there with Michael Owen as a legend of the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »

I feel dirty reading that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Sanchez is almost 30 now when he turned 29 just a month ago. :o

And Mkhitaryan is much younger at only 28. So while Sanchez is almost 30 and Mkhitaryan is 2 years younger. (Mkhitaryan turns 29 on Sunday)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He picked his moments for greatness with us.

Remember he scored one game, took off his shirt and couldnt put it back on again. Went chasing down the line topless trying to stop oppossition :)

https://youtu.be/9s_oJaFXVrE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeF1xlyn-wh/

Doesn't look like he in a hurry to say good bye he took full part in training. Any deal is a long way off still I'd reckon.

Doesn't look like he in a hurry to say good bye he took full part in training. Any deal is a long way off still I'd reckon.

Na... the last supper. He will be in london this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

That's a goodbye pic if I've ever seen one

Ah hes above Owen in my books...... but that goal aowen scored was ecstacy

• Advertisement

Nope wasn't goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    Na... the last supper. He will be in london this evening
    Nope wasn't goodbye

When are people going to realize we're not spoofing Jayo...
    Why have they all got sucked in like this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What saga doesn't go until deadline day? At best he'll debut against Huddersfield in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!!!

He got the winner at Anfield. He’s a hero!!

Memory is foggy, but didn't he get both that day? Including a howler from Dudek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

If we do sign Sanchez then I can see Zlatan leaving this month.. MLS starts soon and could see him moving to Galaxy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sign Sanchez as Zlatan replacement for 30m and keep Mkhi!

I joke.. he will be on the plane this afternoon

Looks like he is being a model pro while negotiations are ongoing.. he is still an employee of United after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

When's the cut off date for registration for Champions League squad

When's the cut off date for registration for Champions League squad

Midnight 1st of February.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    If we do sign Sanchez then I can see Zlatan leaving this month.. MLS starts soon and could see him moving to Galaxy..

He has never won the champions league i think? now not saying we have much of a chance but you'd think he would hang around untill we are out of that just in case.

He has never won the champions league i think? now not saying we have much of a chance but you'd think he would hang around untill we are out of that just in case.

He left inter for Barca the year before inter won it and then left Barca the year before they won it I think :) good omen ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

astradave wrote: »
    He left inter for Barca the year before inter won it and then left Barca the year before they won it I think :) good omen ha

So Arsenal are going to win the CL next year?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »

When did zlatan leave arsenal????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Leroy42 wrote: »

Ibra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just landed in manchester and a private jet landed just after us, Alexis is that you? :D

• Just landed in manchester and a private jet landed just after us, Alexis is that you? :D

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

anigif_original-grid-image-28231-1406843825-15.gif

Just landed in manchester and a private jet landed just after us, Alexis is that you? :D

Hang on, il check flight radar see where the plane came from :)

bangkok wrote: »
    Hang on, il check flight radar see where the plane came from :)

Apparently they're using an Avion Charter jet.

*Probably twitter bollocks*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayop wrote: »
    anigif_original-grid-image-28231-1406843825-15.gif

Jayop are you suggesting we bring ms Watson on board our team... cos that could be a very good suggestion.... can't believe you didn't post under your jayo26 account though!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/MaksCardenas/status/954012014522912769

"Family and friends of Alexis are already in Manchester waiting for the signature.
    Sánchez wait with his brother and his agent in London."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm must say you gotta love all these bull**** tweets haha , I feel if you are caught bull****ting (mainly reporters) you should be made pay a charity fine, that would.cut down alot of it

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/MaksCardenas/status/954012014522912769

"Family and friends of Alexis are already in Manchester waiting for the signature.
    Sánchez wait with his brother and his agent in London."

Surely sanchez would give his signature to his own family members.....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i just want to see a little notification on my phone saying Alexis Sanchez has signed for Manchester United and ill be a happy man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Enjoyed that Wenger comment.

Probably adds more weight to indications we are a good club to deal with in terms of transfers, no frills or spills or aggravation.

Just noticed today Mata is in his last six months of his deal? Sanchez arriving must well mean he will be on his way in the summer. Probably let go on a free to free up squad space I'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »

Probably adds more weight to indications we are a good club to deal with in terms of transfers, no frills or spills or aggravation.

I wonder is that, in part, down to the alleged naivety of Woodward with regards to football transfers.

It was said, speculated, in the first couple of summers that Woodward was getting taken for a ride by clubs and agents cause he didn't know how to play the game when it came to keeping people sweet etc. Basically, he wasn't dodgy. It was a criticism of him at the time, and his inability to close deals.

However, it could be the case that Woodward has gotten more experience on dealing with people, built up his contacts as needed, but kept out of the shady nature of some deals. So his rep has increased, and United's has too, based on simply being straight on deals and the dealings with clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

brinty wrote: »
    Jayop are you suggesting we bring ms Watson on board our team... cos that could be a very good suggestion.... can't believe you didn't post under your jayo26 account though!!!!!!

Might have to upgrade the five a side to a full XI team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Just noticed today Mata is in his last six months of his deal? Sanchez arriving must well mean he will be on his way in the summer. Probably let go on a free to free up squad space I'd imagine?

Was his not one of the year extensions triggered recently along with deGea, Young and someone else?
    Herrera?

paulbok wrote: »
    Was his not one of the year extensions triggered recently along with deGea, Young and someone else?
    Herrera?

I was trying to clarify this yesterday, good to see that Doc is on the case now, we'll have the answer very soon :)

James Ducker reckoned 2 weeks ago that Mata, Herrera, Young and Blind all had contract extensions activated.

Rob Dawson said 2 days ago that Mata's contract extension has yet to be activated, and some of the rags (Sun, Mirror) reprinted those sentiments.

So it's hard to know what the craic is. I'd hope that it has been done. Reports are that Mata has no interest in leaving the club.

Elsewhere...

So much for Wenger and his "Alexis' situation will be sorted in the next 48 hours" comments last Saturday. I'm beginning to agree with the majority of Gunners - Wenger out!

I was trying to clarify this yesterday, good to see that Doc is on the case now, we'll have the answer very soon :)

James Ducker reckoned 2 weeks ago that Mata, Herrera, Young and Blind all had contract extensions activated.

Rob Dawson said 2 days ago that Mata's contract extension has yet to be activated, and some of the rags (Sun, Mirror) reprinted those sentiments.

So it's hard to know what the craic is. I'd hope that it has been done. Reports are that Mata has no interest in leaving the club.

Elsewhere...

So much for Wenger and his "Alexis' situation will be sorted in the next 48 hours" comments last Saturday. I'm beginning to agree with the majority of Gunners - Wenger out!

Leave Wenger where he is, he likes selling us top players and taking our failures.

Mata will sign a contract extension with little fuss. Too good a player to be allowed leave on a free

• Advertisement

Darmian to Valencia meant to be picking up pace. Thought he'd be heading to Roma/Juve but Valencia appear to have got a jump on the Italian clubs!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Darmian to Valencia meant to be picking up pace. Thought he'd be heading to Roma/Juve but Valencia appear to have got a jump on the Italian clubs!

Wonder if that will have an effect on Jose’s thinking after his 22 man squad.. maybe Tuanzebe stays to fill the gap or if he goes TFM recalled

Quoting this from the Arse thread because it seems to be a notion a few have and wouldn't mind discussing it but not in the wrong thread...
    emmetlego wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd say if that form continued, Mourinho will blow a gasket as he sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs. Time will tell I guess.

The preamble is that sanchez losses the ball too much too cheaply. Stats were presented that he gave it away 36 odd times in the United Arsenal game and that as Jose values possession so highly it will be a major problem. Personally I think this notion that Jose "sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs" is as far from the truth as is possible. Of course in the majority of our games we will have significantly more possession of the ball than our opponents, but when we play bigger teams we tend not to worry about possession, try to sit deep and hit them on the break.

Didn't he once have a quote (that I can't find) saying something to the effect of your team being less likely to make a mistake when they don't have the ball??

Wonder if that will have an effect on Jose’s thinking after his 22 man squad.. maybe Tuanzebe stays to fill the gap or if he goes TFM recalled

Would say it is more likely Tuanzebe would step up, rather than TFM recalled.

Shaw has come in and seemed to do enough to give Jose pause for thought, so with him, Young, Valencia and Tuanzebe we can probably cover the full back positions well enough. Lindelof, Smalling, Jones and Bailly have all played right back too.

Blind and Rojo can cover at left back.

Darmian would not be missed.

Jayop wrote: »
    Quoting this from the Arse thread because it seems to be a notion a few have and wouldn't mind discussing it but not in the wrong thread...

The preamble is that sanchez losses the ball too much too cheaply. Stats were presented that he gave it away 36 odd times in the United Arsenal game and that as Jose values possession so highly it will be a major problem. Personally I think this notion that Jose "sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs" is as far from the truth as is possible. Of course in the majority of our games we will have significantly more possession of the ball than our opponents, but when we play bigger teams we tend not to worry about possession, try to sit deep and hit them on the break.

Didn't he once have a quote (that I can't find) saying something to the effect of your team being less likely to make a mistake when they don't have the ball??

I really don't think United are set up to retain possession at all costs - we were under LVG but not now.

In fact, I think Jose will look to use Sanchez's direct attacking style to help transition us from defence to attack, especially in big games where we play deeper and more defensive.

Honestly, I don't see Sanchez's style being an issue for Jose.

Not at all and if we can recover a few $$ on him then it's a good time to move on it. We're reported to have paid £12.7m for him in 2015 and he's got a year and a half left on his contract. We can probably get most of that back on him in this market.

• Advertisement

I really don't think United are set up to retain possession at all costs - we were under LVG but not now.

In fact, I think Jose will look to use Sanchez's direct attacking style to help transition us from defence to attack, especially in big games where we play deeper and more defensive.

Honestly, I don't see Sanchez's style being an issue for Jose.

I agree. The only time I see Jose going ape **** about losing possession is in dangerous areas where we can be exposed on the break. Losing the ball in the final third isn't a problem.

What did he mean by 22? We have more than that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jose wouldn't be after Sanchez is he had an issue with his style of play.

This is not manager arriving at a club and people wondering what it means for existing players.

Honestly think it is mad to sugesst Jose would be interested in him now, a year and a half into the post, if he was not exactly the type of player he wants.

pjohnson wrote: »
    What did he mean by 22? We have more than that?

I think he just likes to work with a group of 22 players. Didn't he saying something about it in a post match interview a few games back?

Attacking players will always lose the ball, they need to take risks. No point having a 100% pass rate and not doing a thing during the game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement