Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    I think he just likes to work with a group of 22 players. Didn't he saying something about it in a post match interview a few games back?

Yes he has OCD.

One player too many he goes crazy, one player less he hides in his office for weeks

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Goalkeepers (3)
    David de Gea
    Sergio Romero
    Joel Pereira

Defenders (11)
    Victor Lindelöf
    Eric Bailly
    Phil Jones
    Marcos Rojo
    Chris Smalling
    Daley Blind
    Ashley Young
    Luke Shaw
    Antonio Valencia
    Matteo Darmian
    Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders (9)
    Paul Pogba
    Juan Mata
    Jesse Lingard
    Michael Carrick
    Ander Herrera
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan
    Marouane Fellaini
    Nemanja Matić
    Scott McTominay

Forwards (4)
    Romelu Lukaku
    Zlatan Ibrahimović
    Anthony Martial
    Marcus Rashford

Total (27)

I guess you could exclude Pereira, Tuanzebe and McTominay as being mainly Under 21's, but thats still 24 players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The general consensus woth other fans seems to be that Jose is panic buying that's why he is going for Sanchez because he doesn't fit his style haha.

Personally myself I don't see what there is to be panicking about... yes sure we could have a terrible end to the season but that don't take away from fact that as it is now there is 18 clubs that would prefer to have our pints total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Quoting this from the Arse thread because it seems to be a notion a few have and wouldn't mind discussing it but not in the wrong thread...

The preamble is that sanchez losses the ball too much too cheaply. Stats were presented that he gave it away 36 odd times in the United Arsenal game and that as Jose values possession so highly it will be a major problem. Personally I think this notion that Jose "sets out his teams to retain possession at all costs" is as far from the truth as is possible. Of course in the majority of our games we will have significantly more possession of the ball than our opponents, but when we play bigger teams we tend not to worry about possession, try to sit deep and hit them on the break.

Didn't he once have a quote (that I can't find) saying something to the effect of your team being less likely to make a mistake when they don't have the ball??

To be honest I think the Arsenal part is influenced by how much their attack can be centred around him and how many times he's not only given the ball in attacking situations (i.e. more likely to lose the ball than in some other phases of play) but also attacking situations where he's not the best option and thus very likely to lose the ball.

The Mourinho quote your having trouble recalling might actually be from the press stuff in the aftermath of Inter's elimination of Barca from the Champion's League when they went down to 10 men early in the second leg. He basically talked about how in that situation he had instructed his players that, if needed, it was better to concede possession in situations where efforts to retain it would compromise the team shape. Which is a lot different to "being less likely to make a mistake when they don't have the ball".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

jayo26 wrote: »
    The general consensus woth other fans seems to be that Jose is panic buying that's why he is going for Sanchez because he doesn't fit his style haha.

Personally myself I don't see what there is to be panicking about... yes sure we could have a terrible end to the season but that don't take away from fact that as it is now there is 18 clubs that would prefer to have our pints total.

Have you not heard? Sanchez is now apprantly sh!te because united are interested in him, its all going downhill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

A panic buy that we've apparently been working on in the background pure schneaky schneaky like for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RE: Alexis joining United. Was gonna post it earlier, but didn't get a chance.

https://twitter.com/Jamesstretford/status/953669102173937666
    People actually believe this bull**** about player's joining Utd just for the money. We're talking about Manchester United here, the most successful club in English football. We've earned the right to pay big wages because we're a money making ****ing machine. Never question it.

The right to pay big wages bit, it lines up with Wenger's classy comments this morning. The club made the money their way, their entitled to spend it, however they please.

I hope Arsenal are including his zimmerframe in the deal. I mean we are signing a decrepit old player apparently.

Would love to see United tweet the confirmation of the signing taking the piss out of all of this.
    MUFC are delighted to announce the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal with a transfer fee of Eleventy Bazillion Pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wait a minute, does Mourinho only ever park the bus, or only ever keep possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wait a minute, does Mourinho only ever park the bus, or only ever keep possession.

He is all things to all abu's.

Whatever fits the argument at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

He does the exact opposite of what our lord and saviour pep does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Goalkeepers (3)
    David de Gea
    Sergio Romero
    Joel Pereira

Defenders (11)
    Victor Lindelöf
    Eric Bailly
    Phil Jones
    Marcos Rojo
    Chris Smalling
    Daley Blind
    Ashley Young
    Luke Shaw
    Antonio Valencia
    Matteo Darmian
    Axel Tuanzebe

Midfielders (9)
    Paul Pogba
    Juan Mata
    Jesse Lingard
    Michael Carrick
    Ander Herrera
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan
    Marouane Fellaini
    Nemanja Matić
    Scott McTominay

Forwards (4)
    Romelu Lukaku
    Zlatan Ibrahimović
    Anthony Martial
    Marcus Rashford

Total (27)

I guess you could exclude Pereira, Tuanzebe and McTominay as being mainly Under 21's, but thats still 24 players?

I dunno he said the other day for when Tuanzebe was linked to a loan move he had 23 players and would like his group to be 22.. Looking at the list he could just be talking about outfield players.. no idea, thought myself at the time the numbers didn’t stack uo

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

KH25 wrote: »
    He does the exact opposite of what our lord and saviour pep does.

Oppositions fans.

José - Bad

Pep - Not a bad word will be heard against him.

Have a look at this. Bailly is a pure mentalist.

https://twitter.com/Oli_Row/status/953751059431874562

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pjohnson wrote: »
    Darmian to Valencia meant to be picking up pace.

'Darmian' and 'pace' in the same sentence! Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

'Darmian' and 'pace' in the same sentence! Who'd have thunk it?

Valencia in the same sentence keeps it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Would love to see United tweet the confirmation of the signing taking the piss out of all of this.

or a weekly wage of........

1m.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

He likes his team to keep possession just yards from their own goal.

On a side-note, I thought it was quite funny that the Stoke fan's were singing "Park the bus, park the bus, Man United" while they were about to witness their 18th place team lose 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ozil showing Mkhitaryan around the Arsenal training ground today

this-is-where-i-come-to-cry.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Didn't he once have a quote (that I can't find) saying something to the effect of your team being less likely to make a mistake when they don't have the ball??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5166489/How-Pep-Guardiola-outsmarted-Mourinho-Citys-2-1-win.html
    Its there near the end of the article. One of his seven philosophies for playing the top teams

astradave wrote: »
    I dunno he said the other day for when Tuanzebe was linked to a loan move he had 23 players and would like his group to be 22.. Looking at the list he could just be talking about outfield players.. no idea, thought myself at the time the numbers didn’t stack uo

Ah that'd probably be it. Take the 3 keepers, Tuanzebe & McTominay and its 22 exactly.

Keepers are probably off working mainly with the GK coach for the bulk of the training session while the outfield players do their drills and work on attacking movement etc. That would make sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AS saying Jose has gremlit Ronaldo return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    AS saying Jose has gremlit Ronaldo return.

In a deal worth 1,000,000,000,000 over 64 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

1. It's bullshít, as it is every January and summer.

2. 33 year old Ronaldo who has 4 goals in the league? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

DT2tnmKX4AInLJG.jpg

J. Marston wrote: »
    1. It's bullshít, as it is every January and summer.

2. 33 year old Ronaldo who has 4 goals in the league? No thanks.

32 year old ronaldo who is top scorer in the champions league. Yes please

Midday tomorrow the deadline if Alexis is to be in the Squad for Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I wonder if United are ahead of the curve on transfers now with the attempted Sanchez deal?

Like they were with Pogba, they said at the time the fee will look small soon.

Are we moving into a time where more proven players will allow their contracts to run down and cash in big time when out or almost out of contract?

Players and agents won't continue to allow clubs spend huge sums on their registrations when they could be the ones cleaning up.

Gary Neville mentioned the risk in running down a contract but for proven players this is a much lower risk. They have managers and contacts who know them and will give them deals even after an injury, see Zlatan last Autumn or a minor example (since United just played Stoke) on Stephen Ireland getting looked after by Mark Hughes despite a long injury.

Young players will continue to sign improved terms their clubs when breaking through and getting games. Clubs will still pay big money for the most talented ones but guys around 27/28 will be established, already on good money and in a position to turn down improved terms to gain freedom of contract (or leverage as they get cloae to it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Surely today is the day boys...

Surely today is the day boys...

No tomorrow is our day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

No tomorrow is our day...

It's after midnight now tho. Is that today tomorrow or tomorrow tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Telegraph gone full retard.
    Sanchez, who turns 30 next year, has agreed a four-and-a-half-year contract worth just under £27 million a year before tax on top of his £30m valuation, a £20m signing-on fee, and an agents’ fee worth more than £10m

He turned 29 just a month ago.
    The proposed Sanchez transfer is most lucrative for the player, on a salary of £350,000 per week, and his agent on a fee of around £12million. Less so for Arsenal, who would nonetheless bank the equivalent of £30million in the form of the great doleful Armenian playmaker, Henrik Mkhitaryan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/18/alexis-sanchezs-deal-eyewatering-could-become-norm-ageing/

Also Telegraph's chief football writer said Sanchez is on 350K per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Amazing how they know all this...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sanchez will be 32 or 33 in a few years if he is not careful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I think this'll drag on until next week. Hopefully not and it can be all done and dusted by tonight.

The longer it's not,it's still leaving the door open for City or another club to come in and hijack it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Sanchez will be 32 or 33 in a few years if he is not careful

I think he will be 31 in March and 32 in April. That along with the 600k a week wage is making this look like a bad deal.
    Woody out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Eh, I'm past being annoyed about the reported figures now.

It's pretty clear that it's a good deal for us so they can report what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Telegraph gone full retard.

He turned 29 just a month ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/18/alexis-sanchezs-deal-eyewatering-could-become-norm-ageing/

Also Telegraph's chief football writer said Sanchez is on 350K per week.

I hate to see this kind of money spent on a player when it could be bled from the club and sypthoned off to the Glazers in Tampa. Thats where the real value for the supporters would be :P

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »
    DT2tnmKX4AInLJG.jpg

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Me all week

cH7gmYE.jpg

Your zerking it all week too...

• I shall delete in honor of Elche32...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I shall delete to try save face...

FYP :D

Raiola's greed holding the whole deal up i would imagine

bangkok wrote: »
    Raiola's greed holding the whole deal up i would imagine

The last reports were that it’s all agreed and that the lawyers were in drawing up the contracts, that was about 8/9 last night. Doubt we would hear anything till today sometime anyways if that was the case.. that was from DiMarzios camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How long is too long when it comes to a transfer that was apparently a slam dunk last weekend?

Seems to have been the worst kept secret in football all week yet still not done. Transfers can be done in hours on deadline day but this one is dragging out long past the point where both clubs have indicated it was happening and other clubs have indicated they are giving up.

I'm not too worked up about it, not at all, but I am curious who or what is complicating things here and if any deal is going to happen at all?

How long is too long when it comes to a transfer that was apparently a slam dunk last weekend?

Seems to have been the worst kept secret in football all week yet still not done. Transfers can be done in hours on deadline day but this one is dragging out long past the point where both clubs have indicated it was happening and other clubs have indicated they are giving up.

I'm not too worked up about it, not at all, but I am curious who or what is complicating things here and if any deal is going to happen at all?

One guess.... the fat man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

bangkok wrote: »
    One guess.... the fat man

He knows he's in a perfect position for himself and Mkhitaryan. Arsenal want to sell, Man United want Sanchez, all comes down to Mkhitaryan. As Raiola said he is still under-contract for 2 and half years so he has that to fall back to if it all did go belly up.

We can't for definite say what the hold up but my money is on the agent who's been described as a pain in the ass (That one was from Napoli) trying to milk it as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Raoila is a parasite, I'm on the record numerous times with my opinions on him over the years but I doubt he is much in the way of holding anything up. He will ultimately get paid a lot of money for his agency in this deal, which is not likely to be the case if Miki continues his poor form, devalues and sits on a bench for a long period of time, if he was to cause this to fall through he will not and he will damage what has been a very lucrative arrangement since Jose came to the club. Even Wenger has said there is no issue meeting Miki's sides demands.

With a swap there is surely plenty of dotting of I's and crossing of T's to be done to ensure everything is carried out in accordance to contracts. Payments, such as loyalty money owed to Miki (which he is entitled to not having requested a transfer) possible bonus payments that are being negotiated based on targets set out in the contract on a sliding scale, there are two medicals to conduct. There are work permits to be applied for I would imagine (for Sanchez) as it is a new contract extending the time in the country for a South American. Assume Miki is still ok that way.

Any contract can take a while to hammer out in accordance to regulation and I would imagine it only gets worse and messier when you get into the realm of image rights and other bonus incentives that are interrupted mid way through a season. I find it funny actually nobody seems to be questioning Felicevich role in this? Is it not possible that he is being difficult considering its the reported demands from Sanchez side that scared off the big powerful, and financially frugal Man City? His approach has reportedly always been that he does not charge for his service but takes a % of the transfer fee when his clients move instead. With a swap deal it is possible this is causing some issues.

As with most things in football transfers, whatever will be will be. It really is best not to get too stressed about something you will never actually know the details of or can affect in any way shape or form.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement