Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what has happened to Lindelof in the last few weeks?

I feel he had put in some good performances at CB a few weeks ago - but then he played RB vs Leicster (no issue) and hasn't played much since.

Personally I would think Jose see him and Bailly as the long term partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No he isn't
    People complement him the whole time
    And they also legitimately criticize him for his poor delivery from the right hand side

Theres loads here that wanted him replaced in the summer...

Even after ashley youngs good form there was a few saying young should be right back, shaw left

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

what has happened to Lindelof in the last few weeks?

I feel he had put in some good performances at CB a few weeks ago - but then he played RB vs Leicster (no issue) and hasn't played much since.

Personally I would think Jose see him and Bailly as the long term partnership.

We'll he'll more than likely rotate again with cup coming up. Jones and Bailly were the preferred selection for the PL, and Jones has done so well this year he has to have earned his spot.

We all knew Fergie valued Jones, but under José I think we've seen him improve the most and now José is a fan of Jones. I posted a while ago how José may see Jones as his Terry for United. They're different players but as in players who give it their all and will close every shot down and never stop working on the pitch.

I'd really like him to try continue with the Bailly and Jones partnership and look at making it a long-term one, even with the money spend on Lindelof (who is only 2 years younger than Jones).

I know Squawka doesn't tell the whole story, but based on performance score of defenders Jones only finds himself behind Otamendi, Vertonghen, Alonso and Azpilicueta , and only does so because of his lack of attacking display (factors in defence, attack and possession).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »

Even after ashley youngs good form there was a few saying young should be right back, shaw left

Jose has clearly told him to cut down on the crosses imo. Playing the ball inside a lot more than he used to and even trying the odd run around the full back like he did in his first couple of seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Isn't it great to see Jose and like Shaw complimenting each other. Jose saying at the moment they ain't much better left back a out there and he is very happy with him.

I dunno why we become attached to certain players I've no reason to overly like luke Shaw but Im so happy he is doing well at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know if the game is on the telly tomorrow?

Nevermind - Just seen its arsenal v palace at 3 on ss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

PaddyCar wrote: »

It will be on my tv anyways and that’s all that matters :D

It’s not on uk or Irish tv though

Check here for channels and what country you will need to fly to http://liveonsat.com/los.soc_br_eng_ALL.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'll be in Canada tomorrow from 2.50pm :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not a Man Utd fan, but that's mad. Burnley v Man Utd is the game of the day (for 3pm kick offs) by a country mile. I would estimate Arsenal v Crystal Palace will attract half the audience (at best) in Ireland than Burnley v Man Utd would.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    Not a Man Utd fan, but that's mad. Burnley v Man Utd is the game of the day (for 3pm kick offs) by a country mile. I would estimate Arsenal v Crystal Palace will attract half the audience (at best) in Ireland than Burnley v Man Utd would.

Arsenal palace is a london derby.

eigrod wrote: »

I would guess that it is similar to the rules governing all the other matches Sky and BT show - there has to be a relatively even distribution of televised games for each team. So they can't, by contract, just show United or Liverpool every week.

Obviously they DO show both sides near every week, but there are rules they are following in order to do so - so some weeks we just won't be on tv. Becoming less of an issue the more televisions slots there are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The cynic in me thinks there was never a chance Sanchez's debut would be wasted on a non-TV match tbh...

• bangkok wrote: »

I'd love to know who said he should be replaced. I can't remember hardly any posters on this thread anyway.

The issue stays the same. His delivery from the right hand is of poor quality. Lukaka needs much better service.

Everything else in his game is top notch.

I'd love to know who said he should be replaced. I can't remember hardly any posters on this thread anyway.

The issue stays the same. His delivery from the right hand is of poor quality. Lukaka needs much better service.

I'd have said it, and still do say it.

Valencia is a great servent but his defensive positioning is questionable and his attacking isn't amazing.

He offers an outlet on the right, almost on his own, cause of his pace and stamina, but he doesn't really do that much out there for the all the focus of attack he gets. Crosses are poor too often.

Not sure who would be around that offers a better outlet on the right though - maybe Valencia annoys me but relative to other right backs that are around he is actually great and they are all of them poor at crossing.

Plenty have said it. Dont remember names but they can come forward if they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ive probaley said it many times as his delivery can be so poor and wasteful. it annoys me so much cause he really does get himself into such great spaces so its more frustration than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I do remember saying Young should go right and keep Shaw playing on the left. This was due to Valencia's injury coinciding with Darmains injury thus causing Young to move across to the right and Shaw got his first chance at starting and he had done quite well there.

The main point of that sentence was to allow Shaw a run of games to see how he would do rather than moving Young back to the left and putting Darmian on the right thus dropping Shaw. Now that Antonio is fit he should replace Young at RB, while Shaw having performed very well during this period should be left on the left. Ashley can go onto the bench.

Trying to claim that that somehow means I said Valencia should be permanently dropped is strange.

Maybe not as much over the last few months, but I've definitely seen plenty of desire in here to have Valencia replaced. Not too long ago, it wasn't exactly an unpopular opinion.

Some of the reasoning was way off, but the point was made then and it remains true that Valencia is in the latter years of his career. 32 now, he will be 33 in August (34 next year! as the rags would report it) and we certainly should be looking for his replacement.

With some positions in the starting 11, we need peak quality now, like Sanchez in AM. However, there are positions where I think we could make a 'buy for the future'- A younger player (19-23) with potential, who doesn't need regular first team football right now and who could be eased in as Valencia's eventual replacement.

Maybe we don't need to sign that replacement, maybe he's already at the club. I have no one in particular in mind, just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Maybe not as much over the last few months, but I've definitely seen plenty of desire in here to have Valencia replaced. Not too long ago, it wasn't exactly an unpopular opinion.

Some of the reasoning was way off, but the point was made then and it remains true that Valencia is in the latter years of his career. 32 now, he will be 33 in August (34 next year! as the rags would report it) and we certainly should be looking for his replacement.

With some positions in the starting 11, we need peak quality now, like Sanchez in AM. However, there are positions where I think we could make a 'buy for the future'- A younger player (19-23) with potential, who doesn't need regular first team football right now and who could be eased in as Valencia's eventual replacement.

Maybe we don't need to sign that replacement, maybe he's already at the club. I have no one in particular in mind, just saying.

TFM would be the within club option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

little whispers on twatter that chelsea have gazumped utd on sanchez or that he is seriously considering it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

little whispers on twatter that chelsea have gazumped utd on sanchez or that he is seriously considering it

If he does go to Chelsea, watch the media talk about how it was a genius move and won't mention half the costs

Can’t see anything of the sort.. main Chelsea links are to Dzeko and Crouch, and also Emerson

Call me naive but imagine the impression Chelsea give a superstar signing when they have recently been linked with andy carrol and peter crouch how do you go about selling the club to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So while waiting for the Sanchez deal to be done and dusted, turns out José is a PS4 guy.

DT7Qwq9W0AAP4l0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd have said it, and still do say it.

Valencia is a great servent but his defensive positioning is questionable and his attacking isn't amazing.

He offers an outlet on the right, almost on his own, cause of his pace and stamina, but he doesn't really do that much out there for the all the focus of attack he gets. Crosses are poor too often.

Not sure who would be around that offers a better outlet on the right though - maybe Valencia annoys me but relative to other right backs that are around he is actually great and they are all of them poor at crossing.

The lack of anybody ahead of him who can play as a proper right winger probably hampers him in fairness to him, I have been as big in my concerns on Valencia as anybody but I do remember seeing that graphic where he basically covers the entire right side of the field alone.

Maybe if he didn't have to do that? I dunno though I am skeptical his final ball would improve to the level I would like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Not a very frequent poster myself . I believe I did post I'd like Shaw and young though.

I've been critical of Valencia but like anybody else it's only from a final third delivery point of view . Taking this attribute out of the equation and I think he's easily the best RB in the PL

When Young was playing there for a bit his delivery was excellent. It's hard to believe the best right backs at the club at present are converted wingers...

What happened to the Valencia that had all the assists for Rooney those few years back!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'll be in Canada tomorrow from 2.50pm :pac:

It's also on NBCSN for anyone in the US

ianob7 wrote: »
    Not a very frequent poster myself . I believe I did post I'd like Shaw and young though.

I've been critical of Valencia but like anybody else it's only from a final third delivery point of view . Taking this attribute out of the equation and I think he's easily the best RB in the PL

When Young was playing there for a bit his delivery was excellent. It's hard to believe the best right backs at the club at present are converted wingers...

What happened to the Valencia that had all the assists for Rooney those few years back!?

IMO He lost confidence in his delivery and his ability to get to the byline. He started relying on power as it worked once or twice so he continued with it even though it was shocking.. under LVG it seems he wasn’t allowed to take risks so turned into Turn back Tony..

Jose likes Risks to be taken in the final 3rd so we are starting to see him come back out of his shell a bit and also gain more confidence, he’s even starting to cross with his left sure

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea

Sergio Romero

Joel Pereira

Antonio Valencia

Phil Jones

Victor Lindelof

Marcos Rojo

Chris Smalling

Ashley Young

Luke Shaw

Scott McTominay

Ander Herrera

Nemanja Matic

Paul Pogba

Marouane Fellaini

Jesse Lingard

Juan Mata

Marcus Rashford

Romelu Lukaku

Anthony Martial

Injured

Eric Bailly

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Daley Blind

Not considered for selection

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

v3ttel wrote: »
    It's also on NBCSN for anyone in the US

Bein sports Mena 11 for anyone in the Middle East :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

astradave wrote: »
    Can’t see anything of the sort.. main Chelsea links are to Dzeko and Crouch, and also Emerson

oh, wait it was just a nice dream! :D

oh, wait it was just a nice dream! :D

Thought as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Feels a bit like he's waiting for another club to come in. Not sure what the delay is but it's strange. Have come around to him signing (if he does) will certainly add to our attack for sure

I seen someone saying here we'd the lowest wages v revenue in the premiership, has anyone got the link to the article ? I'd like to see that

Feels a bit like he's waiting for another club to come in. Not sure what the delay is but it's strange. Have come around to him signing (if he does) will certainly add to our attack for sure

I seen someone saying here we'd the lowest wages v revenue in the premiership, has anyone got the link to the article ? I'd like to see that

The Sanchez part is all sorted by all accounts, it’s the Mkhi/Raiola side holding it all up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

astradave wrote:
    IMO He lost confidence in his delivery and his ability to get to the byline. He started relying on power as it worked once or twice so he continued with it even though it was shocking.. under LVG it seems he wasn’t allowed to take risks so turned into Turn back Tony..

astradave wrote:
    Jose likes Risks to be taken in the final 3rd so we are starting to see him come back out of his shell a bit and also gain more confidence, he’s even starting to cross with his left sure

That's a perfect summation of what seems to have went on with him... LVG did really regress the club something fierce !!

Ya I nearly fell off the couch last year when Tony V passed with his left .. and then to top it off he pings in that beaut off his left on monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

ianob7 wrote: »
    That's a perfect summation of what seems to have went on with him... LVG did really regress the club something fierce !!

Ya I nearly fell off the couch last year when Tony V passed with his left .. and then to top it off he pings in that beaut off his left on monday night

Commentator said on Monday night the full back should have showed him down the right side :) I nearly fell off my chair. Tony didn't even know until that point that he'd another leg!!

There was healthy discussion and debate surrounding the quality of Valencia's crossing even in that season Rooney scored all the headers.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

seen this on an Arsenal website today..

The delay in the Mkhitaryan deal? It's because Arsenal always pay agents 7% of the deal, but Raiola likes variable fees, and is demanding a higher percent. This is why Arsenal and Raiola have stopped meeting altogether in the past.

I love Arsenal’s stance on this. I can’t stand people like Raiola. They represent one of the great ills of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The likes of him and Mendes are the ones ruining the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The likes of him and Mendes are the ones ruining the game

In saying that, if your a top level player he seems to get his clients great deals. Tbh agents can demand what they like, Fifa and UEFA need a directive in place that limits the fees to agents at x amount or max 10% of transfer value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Might give me mates in Canada a shout. TSN 4 for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good woman Rachel Riley, wearing the United colours on 8 out of 10 Cats tonight.

Might give me mates in Canada a shout. TSN 4 for them.

I thought you lived in Canada anyway..... it's 5 hours behind :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Sancho looks like some prospect for dortmund makes you wonder why younger players don't leave England at an earlier age for better opportunities.

duffman13 wrote: »
    In saying that, if your a top level player he seems to get his clients great deals. Tbh agents can demand what they like, Fifa and UEFA need a directive in place that limits the fees to agents at x amount or max 10% of transfer value.

the pogba deal was a joke, Raiola was working for both Juventus and Man Utd, got around 40m out of it. a serious conflict of interest

sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

the pogba deal was a joke, Raiola was working for both Juventus and Man Utd, got around 40m out of it. a serious conflict of interest

sick

And the man still wants more such a pr**k

Hococop wrote: »
    And the man still wants more such a pr**k

greedy people always want more. the world is a sick place.... and getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I might be in the Middle East tomorrow or else the US...Haven't decided yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sick

But sure its not a conflict of interests, Minos only interest in the deal is Pogba/Money and not Juve or Utd. He's an excellent business man, morally and ethically not the best person in the world but until the governing bodies do something it'll continue.

Vile :)

Fergie was a big fan of Mendes when we used to buy all our players from him.

The truth is they are all more or less the same, they are there to get the best deal for them and their clients. That is likely to ruffle feathers and once you have the best players in your stable you can throw your weight around a little more even. This is especially going to piss off big established clubs with certain ways of doing things. Raiola is up there with the worst in terms of how he likes to shop his players around and make big demands for sure.

Raiola and Wenger don't get on, going back a long time. One would think they would be kept separate from each other and let the financial guys deal with the transfers anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement