Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

https://twitter.com/telefootball/status/954761454636470273

Newcastle must have beaten City already. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been quite critical and negative for long stretches of the season but I take that result as a real positive.

3 points against spurs and I think CL football next year is highly likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

our attack still needs a lot of work. sanchez through the middle will help that a lot but there is still something missing, we have no rhythm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

bangkok wrote: »
    our attack still needs a lot of work. sanchez through the middle will help that a lot but there is still something missing, we have no rhythm

I think Lukaku is a big problem.

Gazumped by newcastle it was always going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Up north to Aldi for the shopping I presume

lukaku is a great option, long term i just dont see him being our no1 striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ffs had we even 4 more points there'd be loads of pressure on city. So annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lukaku did well today he brought players around him into play. What was created for him was muck he did plenty for the team.

Alexis Sanchez will earn a £350,000-a-week wage plus an extra £100,000 a week for image rights over the course of a four-and-a-half-year contract. [daily mail] #MUFC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think it's laughable to say Lukaku is a problem. The issues today were entirely those behind him; Pogba's decision making was dreadful, Mata was his usual anonymous self, and Lingard and Martial did well to run at players but created nothing.

If your striker isn't being fed balls, then it's pointless to moan about him, especially when he was the one who dropped back a bit and created the game-winning chance.

Agree tsc Mata was completely under the radar today as he so often is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I love the way you keep repeating that Sanchez should be central so when he lines up on either wing you get to have a moan as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lukaku had one very good opportunity in the box but his touch was woeful.

He did well for the goal though so can't give him too much grief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

LeeJM wrote: »
    I love the way you keep repeating that Sanchez should be central so when he lines up on either wing you get to have a moan as usual

I’m sick to death of his constant negitive posts on everything!! Say he’s a barrel of laughs that fela!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jayo26 wrote: »
    Agree tsc Mata was completely under the radar today as he so often is.

Mata pops up with a "class" goal or a brilliant bit of control every now and again, but the sad reality is he goes missing in matches far more often than not. He's a lovely guy, and has flashes of brilliance but he's just not consistent enough to be a first team player. He's who Sanchez will replace and we will be infinitely better as a result.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I’m sick to death of his constant negitive posts on everything!! Say he’s a barrel of laughs that fela!

how the fu*k is that a neagtive post saying i think sanchez will be central????!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think it's laughable to say Lukaku is a problem. The issues today were entirely those behind him; Pogba's decision making was dreadful, Mata was his usual anonymous self, and Lingard and Martial did well to run at players but created nothing.

If your striker isn't being fed balls, then it's pointless to moan about him, especially when he was the one who dropped back a bit and created they game-winning chance.

He didn't offer enough of an out ball at times and was clumsy on the ball and with his first touch. Almost caused the equaliser when he came out with the ball from a corner and couldn't get it out from his feet and got dispossessed.

I think the truth about Lukaku is somewhere in between. He is doing some great stuff, but he also has some glaring deficiencies in his game.

• Advertisement

martial wont be dropped from the left, its either right hand side or central. i think he will be central, can go either right or left then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Alexis Sanchez will earn a £350,000-a-week wage plus an extra £100,000 a week for image rights over the course of a four-and-a-half-year contract. [daily mail] #MUFC

So these **** sources are usable for you but you shoot them down or mock them if someone else used them. ..

Very good

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm kind of the camp that Sanchez should be tried centrally. When he played in martinos at Barca he singlehandedly won them games when he was in the central position.

It's not as clear cut to suggest his position is on the wing.

Mata pops up with a "class" goal or a brilliant bit of control every now and again, but the sad reality is he goes missing in matches far more often than not. He's a lovely guy, and has flashes of brilliance but he's just not consistent enough to be a first team player. He's who Sanchez will replace and we will be infinitely better as a result.

Mata hopefully moves central with Lingard in the #10 slot. His cute though balls either way to Martial or Sanchez would be very nice.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mata hopefully moves central with Lingard in the #10 slot. His cute though balls either way to Martial or Sanchez would be very nice.

Based on form, I'd be keeping Lingard at #10, but having him and Sanchez interchanging as nessecary.

pjohnson wrote: »

mata moves central with lingard in the no10 slot???

that doesnt even make sense

how the fu*k is that a neagtive post saying i think sanchez will be central????!!!!

On balance it's probably just most likely to be an incorrect post, unless it's a 352 formation.

He is not defensively astute enough to play central for Jose in a 4231. He will play right with license to roam I'd imagine predominantly.

Not to mention it is a waste of his abilities to turn him into a work horse. He can be the outball the way Fergie used Ronaldo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

jayo26 wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BeLiiKllrQC/

Even the official account liked him..
    I thought retirement would lead to him being a first team coach but First Team Crowd Conductor it is!

• Advertisement

Also, found it infuriating when Pogba and Lukaku stopped moving and stuck their hands in the air to complain either to the ref or team mates when the ball was still there to be won. Need to keep playing in those situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm kind of the camp that Sanchez should be tried centrally. When he played in martinos at Barca he singlehandedly won them games when he was in the central position.

It's not as clear cut to suggest his position is on the wing.

I am unsure of where he is going to play tbh but I am just sick of himself banging on about him playing centrally like its the only logical position because he is absolutely just setting up to have a moan as usual. Sanchez is going to bring a lot to our attack and whether thats from the left, the right, CF or #10 position won't matter too much so long as he improves our play and gets goals and assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

If your striker isn't being fed balls, then it's pointless to moan about him, especially when he was the one who dropped back a bit and created the game-winning chance.

I'm not talking about today. I don't think he's a top level striker, he's probably just below the level we need if we are investing so much money in a young striker to be our first choice for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

He's not scoring very consistently, and a lot of that is down to the service he is getting as has been pointed out but I think he needs o be doing more himself. He doesn't seem to be a striker who could manufacture an opportunity for himself for example. Ibrahimovic could score with a moment of magic out of nothing. RVP often used to shift the ball onto his left and bend one in from outside the box. I don't think Lukaku can produce those individual moments of brilliance, nor do I think he's particularly good at being in the 'right place at the right time' like van Nistelrooy, or even Hernandez. He seems to "give up" a lot if he doesn't get the right ball, I saw a few examples of that today. He doesn't seem to out muscle too many defenders or win many aerial challenges for a guy of his size and his touch can be quite poor at times - it almost cost us a goal today.

He's a very good player and his record in the premier league is obviously very good but unless he improves, I'm not convinced he will be the top level striker we need over the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

As much as I adore Mata, I would agree with that. Sanchez would be a massive upgrade, though if Juan is happy, I would love to keep him in the squad as I think he gives a different option and would still get plenty of minutes across all competitions. I could understand that he might want to leave for a first team spot somewhere else though. I still think he has something to contribute squad-wise.

mata moves central with lingard in the no10 slot???

that doesnt even make sense

Well no that doesn't make sense. Lingard is currently the player occupying the #10 slot. Mata moving central (from his current position on the right) to also provide an option as a #10. Normally we only play one #10 so it'd be one or the other on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Great to see some of the lads who somehow managed to miss the discussion of the comfortable 3-0 win back with their contributions today. :pac:

Who was it was posting last week saying Sanchez would be playing off the left cause that's where he plays for arsenal and you don't buy a guy like Sanchez and not play him in his best position?

Based on form, I'd be keeping Lingard at #10, but having him and Sanchez interchanging as nessecary.

Oh yeah but as a squad option I would hope Mata doesnt end up on the right flank again. It wastes his best talents, thats why he always drifts inside anyway.

martial imo is currently undroppable on the left, as is lukaku up top in jose system. that leaves 2 positions, central behind lukaku or on the right, but jose likes mata a lot so i think it will be mata right sanchez centre with sanchez given licence to go where he wants

• Advertisement

Jones' form has been a serious positive though. I legitimately wasn't bothered if he left during the summer because it was just injury after injury, but he has come alive under Mourinho. All of our defenders have really stepped up under Jose tbf.

martial imo is currently undroppable on the left, as is lukaku up top in jose system. that leaves 2 positions, central behind lukaku or on the right, but jose likes mata a lot so i think it will be mata right sanchez centre with sanchez given licence to go where he wants

I actually think that Martial is going to end up central in the next couple of years. All of his best work these days comes more through the middle. Out left he is double teamed against most teams and finds it harder to get at his fullback. When he drifts inside is where he really gets some change.

I actually think that Martial is going to end up central in the next couple of years. All of his best work these days comes more through the middle. Out left he is double teamed against most teams and finds it harder to get at his fullback. When he drifts inside is where he really gets some change.

yea i agree, i think he is a more natural striker than lukaku is as well

yea i agree, i think he is a more natural striker than lukaku is as well

To be fair to Big Rom, Martial gets the space because he is normally bothering the centre backs and also the full backs and dragging people out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

I think the idea with martial on the left is to give him the space to start his cutting in and help him find space instead of being marked so hard though the center by a deep midfielder. Also the fact he's marked hard opens space centrally so on the left he benefits us both ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

He doesn't seem to be a striker who could manufacture an opportunity for himself

You mean like this?

He's rubbish tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Jones' form has been a serious positive though. I legitimately wasn't bothered if he left during the summer because it was just injury after injury, but he has come alive under Mourinho. All of our defenders have really stepped up under Jose tbf.

But wait, I thought he only ruined players.

This post doesn't add up.

Also I quite like the idea of a front three of Martial Sanchez Rashford. One hell of a fast counter attack if that trio were all in full flight. (and of course Phil Jones overlapping Martial again because why the hell not!)

Oh continuation of my above post

Can anyone remember the 7 second goal we got around 2009???

Ronaldo against Portsmouth I think, he flicked a loose ball to Park, Park found Rooney, he found Ronaldo...GOAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Little point brought up today in commentary I found amusing was that our back 5 were all Fergie signings. The guy was a good 'un :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just got an alert on the Sky sports app that Wenger has confirmed that Sanchez is headed to Manchester to complete his move.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement