Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just got an alert on the Sky sports app that Wenger has confirmed that Sanchez is headed to Manchester to complete his move.

Yeah Jose said in his press conference afterwards that it's so close close close I'm guessing it's just medical to be done over next 24 hours I'm actually only believing it now haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Random thoughts on the game.

- Martial can do and needs to give a lot more, but damn he can finish.

- I'm a Lukaku fan but he was lazy today.

- Mata was his usual beta self.

- Lingard has picked a really bad time to play ineffectual. Keep that crap up and it won't even be a decision as to who drops out for Sanchez.

- Dear god Burnley are a bunch of whingers. Fans, players, management, such a dose of moaning from the lot of them.

- Don't know why its a problem to drop Shaw, he was solid in his games but nowhere near vital or undroppable. Young had done very well all season, if people didn't have a hardon for Shaw that change wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeah Jose said in his press conference afterwards that it's so close close close I'm guessing it's just medical to be done over next 24 hours I'm actually only believing it now haha.

I'm still wary of the Mkhitaryan part of the deal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Few journos saying Sanchez is doing his medical tonight so should be announced later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

- Lingard has picked a really bad time to play ineffectual. Keep that crap up and it won't even be a decision as to who drops out for Sanchez.

- Dear god Burnley are a bunch of whingers. Fans, players, management, such a dose of moaning from the lot of them.

- Don't know why its a problem to drop Shaw, he was solid in his games but nowhere near vital or undroppable. Young had done very well all season, if people didn't have a hardon for Shaw that change wouldn't have raised a single eyebrow.
    Young is 32/33? coming to the twilight of his career, shaw is 23? Hardly shocking to want to play the guy we think/hope might be the future

I'm going to spend the next hour searching for the perfect gif :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lord TSC wrote: »

I'll edit whatever you pick to something much worse!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Young is 32/33? coming to the twilight of his career, shaw is 23? Hardly shocking to want to play the guy we think/hope might be the future

He has been playing, he didn't play today. What's the big deal

Thats what I mean, completely overthinking what was most likely a simple change. That defence has rotated all season and if Smalling/Jones had been swapped with Lindelof/Rojo nobody would have batted an eyelid, but change Shaw with Young and its a problem? Give over.

Ohh this is your first signing as a pesant :):)

• Advertisement

isn't Shaw injury prone too? Rotating him just seems wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wait are we back to spending £35m to get it done and forgetting about the no fee swap only deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote:
    I'm going to spend the next hour searching for the perfect gif

What?????
    You and gifs... how many times did ye warn me...
    Welcome back to the dark side sir... I hope you've saved some of my prior postings...

brinty wrote: »
    What?????
    You and gifs... how many times did ye warn me...
    Welcome back to the dark side sir... I hope you've saved some of my prior postings...

You do know that SFW gifs exist, right? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I know a guy who'd do it for 50e

5k for a medical. jaes.

Price of the medical now apparently at 30m rather than 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Getting double time doing the medical on a Saturday night :D

Be great if it was confirmed tonight

https://youtu.be/gDy0pCwCUTU?t=46

"Any beers around"

• What was wrong with Shaw? I would have preferred if he started going on his good run

An no this is nothing got to do with a Shaw 'hard on'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What was wrong with Shaw? I would have preferred if he started going on his good run

An no this is nothing got to do with a Shaw 'hard on'

Giving him a rest is absolutely no harm. Maybe he sees him as much more important for the game next weekend.

Lord TSC wrote:
    You do know that SFW gifs exist, right?

What's SFW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can't deny any of that. I'd argue that apart from the odd game Lingard doesn't have too much influence beyond the cracking goals he's being scoring.

Difficult to drop a guy when he's banging the goals in but he's had will be on the chopping block ugh the goals dry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

giphy.gif

brinty wrote: »
    What's SFW...

Safe for wife :):)

Jayop wrote: »
    Giving him a rest is absolutely no harm. Maybe he sees him as much more important for the game next weekend.

We also have a midweek game, so I've zero issue with some rotation here. I'd expect Shaw to start vs Yeovil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I would think a little but of it is Jose showing a little bit of loyalty to Young too. Get the impression he's a fan of his as a player, not necessarily simply as a left back per se but as a pro, and he lost his place due to a suspension as opposed to form.

We also have a midweek game, so I've zero issue with some rotation here. I'd expect Shaw to start vs Yeovil.

Unless Blind is given a rare game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Think he is injured, Jose mentioned something in his MUTV interview prior to the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think we missed Shaw going outside martial. Young hung back offering a safe pass to much which left martial facing up two defenders. Shaw would have drawn one away more, imo.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

He is going to catch the train over to Paris for a job interview there is no way Jose is been nice for the sake of it.

astradave wrote:
    Good guy Jose strikes again

But but but but.....
    We are all told Jose is not a nice guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

jayo26 wrote: »
    He is going to catch the train over to Paris for a job interview there is no way Jose is been nice for the sake of it.

And staying in a hotel and all I'd say....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Go for it .. I dare you....

tenor.gif?itemid=8540510

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Turtwig wrote: »
    isn't Shaw injury prone too? Rotating him just seems wise.

Prone to some fecker snapping his leg in two, but apart from that, no not really.

Scrap the cap!

And staying in a hotel and all I'd say....:pac:

It’s an APARTMENT!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Prone to some fecker snapping his leg in two, but apart from that, no not really.

He missed loads of games for United through injury other than that leg break.

Well, there are a few worth mentioning

https://www.transfermarkt.com/luke-shaw/verletzungen/spieler/183288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Balls.

I hate being proven wrong with facts. Screw facts.

Scrap the cap!

Who?

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/954816899342323717

Ornstein confirms straight swap, no cash involved.

That's fantastic. Were replacing Mkhi with Sanchez. Couldn't have hoped for a better upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Thats what I mean, completely overthinking what was most likely a simple change. That defence has rotated all season and if Smalling/Jones had been swapped with Lindelof/Rojo nobody would have batted an eyelid, but change Shaw with Young and its a problem? Give over.

I would have :D

Jones gets rotated out for cup games but seems nailed on for PL games.
    I won't look too much into Shaw getting a rest, Jose has praised him and like others said was probably just to save him from burning out.

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/954816899342323717

Ornstein confirms straight swap, no cash involved.

That's fantastic. Were replacing Mkhi with Sanchez. Couldn't have hoped for a better upgrade.

Wow, that has worked out very well. Mkhi was only going to continue to lose value by not playing for us, and we have also saved his wages. In fairness to Mkhi he seemed very professional throughout the deal - no messing on social media etc. Pity it didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just heard the reported deal we did for Sanchez. Madness from arsenal really. Can’t believe that.

Guaranteed to improve our team and a consistent performer. First game in a United shirt against Spurs maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Happy and sad to see Mkhitaryan go, it is no Di Maria style departure but it us a shame to see another go so soon after joining.

Shows how great a job SAF did selecting people, when back 5 were all signed by him.

Just heard the reported deal we did for Sanchez. Madness from arsenal really. Can’t believe that.

Guaranteed to improve our team and a consistent performer. First game in a United shirt against Spurs maybe.

It's not really madness from Arsenal. Sanchez had clearly downed tools for them. There was even elements of toxicity in their camp. Clearly, they needed to ship him off to whomever. Ozil and Miki at the Emirates isn't exactly a bad line up either. If they get Pierre they may even have a chance at convincing Ozil to stay. Albeit slim, reports from there lately haven't been overly pessimistic about Ozil.

I don't think it is madness from them they are trading a player that would of been worth nothing to then in 5 months time for a player that hopefully for them will bring something to their team and will be on a contract to protect their investment.

I think its a great deal for all involved no one is losing out I wouldn't be throwing it in arsenals faces or anything miki will probably do well there.

I'd say he might get a few minutes of the bench v Yeovil - he hasn't played in a couple of weeks so is well rested.

BBC sport reporting deal agreed straight swap now I'm a believer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

As others have already said, it’s not madness from Arsenal. He could have walked for free in a few months time. So to get Mkhitaryan in a swap is as good as Arsenal could have gotten. Obviously not happy to lose Sanchez, but it was on the cards the past year. Good deal for both clubs in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement