Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mkhitaryan is hardly nothing to be giving away. He's a top level player and it doesn't change that Sanchez is just 4 or 5 months away from being out of contract. It's a good deal for all concerned but they're not a million miles away from each other in terms of quality like is being made out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think Mkhi will do well at Arsenal too - there will be less expectation on him to help out defensively as well. He will be back on my radar for my fantasy football team for definite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Liam O wrote: »
    Mkhitaryan is hardly nothing to be giving away. He's a top level player and it doesn't change that Sanchez is just 4 or 5 months away from being out of contract. It's a good deal for all concerned but they're not a million miles away from each other in terms of quality like is being made out.

I do think Sanchez is quite a level above Mkhi tbh, however the contract length was the obvious difference. Also whilst Mkhi is a quality player, it seemed he was now surplus to requirements by Jose, therefore probably getting very little gametime until we sold him on, whilst still paying his wages, so it's a good deal for us in that respect, but I totally agree he is a quality addition for Arsenal. As others have said, a good deal all round really given the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How much is petrol from London to Manchester?

Easily another 2 million on the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thanks Henrikh Mkhitaryan for your role in winning us trophies last season :)

Welcome Alexis Sanchez.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I feel had we waited till the summer and tried to seell Mkhi for cash, we'd have been doing well to get above 25m, and even that would have been optimistic. So to get, basically, 35m for him now (which is the fee discussed for Sanchez originally) is great business imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »

For the majority of his United career mkhitaryan has been disappointing. Did well last season in the EL. Showed some fantastic abality at the start of this season - but again for the last couple of months he's been absolutely poison on the ball.

Sanchez has shown consistently higher quality the mkhitaryan - it's not at all close.

I think mkhitaryan could do brilliantly at arsenal - but he's not done it at United and was highly unlikely to do do, so delighted to see him swapped with Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RobertKK wrote: »
    Thanks Henrikh Mkhitaryan for your role in winning us trophies last season :)

Welcome Alexis Sanchez.

Ya Mickey scored some important goals in the Europa League last season and a lovely goal against Spurs as well

I wish him well at Arsenal

And as already posted a player to keep an eye on now for FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel had we waited till the summer and tried to seell Mkhi for cash, we'd have been doing well to get above 25m, and even that would have been optimistic. So to get, basically, 35m for him now (which is the fee discussed for Sanchez originally) is great business imo.

in a market where theo walcott goes for 20m and sigurdson goes for 50m, mkhitarayan is easily worth 35m probably a bit more. its a good deal for both clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We were never going to win a major trophy with Mkhitaryan starting, and neither will Arsenal.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    in a market where theo walcott goes for 20m and sigurdson goes for 50m, mkhitarayan is easily worth 35m probably a bit more. its a good deal for both clubs

Cause United are so well known at getting good money for players they want shot of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

We were never going to win a major trophy with Mkhitaryan starting, and neither will Arsenal.

Think they'd be happy with any trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Shout out to ed woodward as well. Guy has done an immense job with getting signings in.

Our attacking threat looks very serious with the addition of sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is definitely a very good player in there with Mkhi, and I’d say Wenger thinks he can get that confidence into him to re-establish him to player that was easily worth 35m.. I do think he just may not get the space in the PL that he would in the BL or the EL and he seems to run into empty avenues or defenders.. one of the reasons he thrives in the EL was the amount of time and space he had when he got on the ball

europa league??

Cause United are so well known at getting good money for players they want shot of.

dont think that was the case with this deal or at least we played it that way... we wanted sanchez, arsenal wanted Mkhitarayan and Wenger wanted Mkhitarayan, worked out well for both clubs

europa league??

He doesn't consider it a major trophy, obviously.

dont think that was the case with this deal or at least we played it that way... we wanted sanchez, arsenal wanted Mkhitarayan and Wenger wanted Mkhitarayan, worked out well for both clubs

Yes it did. And an utterly irrelevant point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

paulbok wrote: »
    Think they'd be happy with any trophy

Unnecessary dig at Arsenal there. The Carabao cup and Europa League are still all to play for. The exact two cups you guys won last season.

astradave wrote: »
    There is definitely a very good player in there with Mkhi, and I’d say Wenger thinks he can get that confidence into him to re-establish him to player that was easily worth 35m.. I do think he just may not get the space in the PL that he would in the BL or the EL and he seems to run into empty avenues or defenders.. one of the reasons he thrives in the EL was the amount of time and space he had when he got on the ball

i think he will thrive in the arsenal team, we all know what he can do and arsenals style of play will suit him, if they get abumyang as well it will actually be a very good window for them

• Advertisement

Never forget

AdoredNaiveAdeliepenguin-small.gif

Context is key. Not all transfers are equal.

Walcott is homegrown so that inflates his fee a chunk. If he wasn't English, he'd probably have gone for half that20m fee

Siggy was absurd, but that's what happens when a small team sells to a bigger one when they don't want too, and the bigger team are desperate for an utter rebuild. The opposite of what the Mkhi deal is where we are offloading a player we don't want to a team slightly below us.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Context is key. Not all transfers are equal.

Walcott is homegrown so that inflates his fee a chunk. If he wasn't English, he'd probably have gone for half that20m fee

Siggy was absurd, but that's what happens when a small team sells to a bigger one when they don't want too, and the bigger team are desperate for an utter rebuild. The opposite of what the Mkhi deal is where we are offloading a player we don't want to a team slightly below us.

we sold schneiderlin to everton for 24m.

mkhitarayan easily worth 35m... also considering sanchez is in final 6 months of his contract its a great deal for both clubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

mkhitarayan easily worth 35m... also considering sanchez is in final 6 months of his contract its a great deal for both clubs

I'll happily go on the record to say Arsenal won this transfer deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

irishman86 wrote: »
    I'll happily go on the record to say Arsenal won this transfer deal

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Joe Swanson's brother Brian on Twitter with this. Smiling Mkhi in London exclusive!

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/954838544614412294

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Morgan was homegrown, as he joined Southampton at 18 and trained there for the required three years. So again, he has an added benefit compared to Mkhi. He was younger than Mkhi is now too, so if anything, I'd probably say he would have been valued HIGHER than Mkhi would be now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Excited by the impending signing of Sanchez. I know most people are saying it's a good deal for both clubs but I think United have got by far the better deal. Mkhitaryan has been poor for a long while now and he's in no way a Sanchez type replacement for them. I see him more competing with Ozil as I think it would be difficult to accommodate both players. Not an Arsenal fan so don't really care though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

astradave wrote: »
    Never forget

AdoredNaiveAdeliepenguin-small.gif

If Mkhitaryan is truly gone, lets be honest about that goal.

He was offside.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think its a deal where both sides come out happy tbh.

We get in a player who on paper will improve our side dramatically, for no transfer fee. A player who was hailed as world class by pretty much everyone, until he was joining United obviously....
    We move on a player who simply is not working out no matter how much I like him as a player and wish it was different, we got something of great value for him in exchange.
    Arsenal move on a player who was not happy, who was leaving for free in 6 months.
    They get in a player of Miki's ability for no transfer fee and don't have to go looking for a replacement for Sanchez in the January transfer window with all that entails. He can play from the right now if need be and he can also solve the problem of replacing Ozil in the summer if things go that way. No downside to it at all once you factor in they were losing Sanchez for nothing in 6 months. If it doesn't work out with Miki, no big deal
    For the players? Good too, Sanchez gets to join a team that will compete for trophies and play for a winner. He will also be handsomely paid (yes this would have been the case anywhere he choose to go)
    Miki gets a second bite at the cherry in English football, in a team that will maybe allow him to express himself a bit better? I hope it works out for him for sure, just not against us obviously.

Everybody walks away from this happy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The S*n claim that Arsenal tried to get Shaw as part of the Sanchez deal. They were politely told to feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Another word on Miki, he has carried himself with class throughout. A model pro and someone young players should look to with how to conduct themselves when things are not working out.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think it's a good deal clubs. Without any context, 35 Million cash would have been good deal for Arsenal but they are not very good at signing replacements and watching Wenger and Arsenal for years, I'm very much sure the money wouldn't have been spent on player of Mkhitaryan caliber and age. So it's a good deal for Arsenal that they got good player like Mkhitaryan(player they tried to sign in 2016) as replacement.

Also good deal for ManUtd as Mkhitaryan was out of favor and was hardly on the pitch in the last 2-3 months. So we have upgraded Mkhitaryan with Sanchez with extra wages.

When in full flow Mkhitaryan is awesome player to watch, shame it didn't happen many times at ManUtd. His role in winning Europa league was huge and in a way one of the reason we are in CL. I think he will do well at Arsenal with how they play. He will suit that type of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

EL is (or should be) Arsenal's biggest priority now and HM shone on that stage last year so it might prove to be a great move for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I think its a deal where both sides come out happy tbh.

We get in a player who on paper will improve our side dramatically, for no transfer fee. A player who was hailed as world class by pretty much everyone, until he was joining United obviously....
    We move on a player who simply is not working out no matter how much I like him as a player and wish it was different, we got something of great value for him in exchange.
    Arsenal move on a player who was not happy, who was leaving for free in 6 months.
    They get in a player of Miki's ability for no transfer fee and don't have to go looking for a replacement for Sanchez in the January transfer window with all that entails. He can play from the right now if need be and he can also solve the problem of replacing Ozil in the summer if things go that way. No downside to it at all once you factor in they were losing Sanchez for nothing in 6 months. If it doesn't work out with Miki, no big deal
    For the players? Good too, Sanchez gets to join a team that will compete for trophies and play for a winner. He will also be handsomely paid (yes this would have been the case anywhere he choose to go)
    Miki gets a second bite at the cherry in English football, in a team that will maybe allow him to express himself a bit better? I hope it works out for him for sure, just not against us obviously.

Everybody walks away from this happy.

In my defence, ive been slamming Sanchez for over a year :cool: everyone else is a wannabe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Was checking few posts in last 3-4 pages, wow there are people who think Lukaku is the problem when he is playing so well. His link up play and creating chances is very good, shame none of his teammates were good enough today. If they were, he would have scored at least 2 goals.

Copying few images from Redcafe.
    DUAKQV4VAAApuvu?format=jpg&name=large
    DUBKdrSW4AAU-Gq.jpg:large

How Pogba and Rashford didn't pass the ball is beyond me. Frustrating decision making which could have cost us 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Spme thoughts from today:

- Great to see that Sanchez is almost a done deal. That had started to drag and was beginning to worry that Raiola was going to tank the whole thing due to him being a greedy ****er. Sad to see Miki go but this rare NFL style trade looks to be a good bit of business for both ourselves and Arsenal. We're hardly mugging them off by any means, he's a great player on his day who just happened to fall out with Jose. Get the impression he's a player Wenger will get the best out of.

-With Sanchez's imminent addition and the recent revival of Shaw, we're getting a lot closer to being the finished article. Midfield could do with some work still but on that point, Bayern today confirmed that with Goretzka coming in during the summer, they will be listening to offers for Vidal. He's 30 but he's played alongside Pogba and Sanchez before and is still absolute quality with experience of winning major trophies. We should be all over that. Can't help but feel Pogba needs someone else to share the creative load in midfield, especially on days like today, we live or die by him too much.

-On today's game, will always take 3 points away to Burnley, nobody goes there and wins well, they always frustrate so dead happy with the result. Prior to the game i was hoping we'd bring Sanchez in on time as i felt we might have needed him for a tough away fixture like that, thankfully not the case

-Sloppy performance from Pogba, back down to earth after recent weeks. Maybe he let it get to his head or perhaps the way Burnley frustrated us got to him. See point above.

-At this rate we'll be talking about Martial for 35 million as a bargain along the lines of Real getting Toni Kroos for 30 million. What an absolute steal, he's really kicked on a gear and is becoming one of the best players in the league.

-Jones was absolutely class today, he's having some season. He's developing into an elite defender and im looking forward to seeing Bailly back alongside him later in the year. Fingers crossed he keeps healthy.

-Would have preferred to see Shaw today, but no harm keeping the heat on him for the place as it seems to have lit a fire under him.

-Mata isn't cut out for games like this. Love me some Juan, who doesn't, but he only suits certain types of games due to his build, playstyle and lack of pace. Sanchez's imminent arrival bodes well for us in this department.

-On the other hand, this was exactly the type of game we signed Lukaku for and it showed today. Took three men out of it with his run and pass for the goal. Magic.

-Rashford hasn't been great for weeks and this continued today. Seems like a bit of second season syndrome if anything, thankfully he's still good for big goals and Martial is having a great year. Hopefully he'll turn the corner soon, not particularly worried yet.

-Smalling wasn't great, sadly it seems he's the only one of our defenders who was better prior to Mourinho's arrival. Can't help but feel his place is under threat in a major way. Could be worth taking a look at Lindelof again pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lukaku needs to start being a prick, for lack of a better word, in those situations.

He should be tearing strips off the two of them for not getting the ball in both those instances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hope Mkhitaryan has great success at Arsenal and prove alot of people wrong

Thanks Mkhitaryan

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Was checking few posts in last 3-4 pages, wow there are people who think Lukaku is the problem when he is playing so well. His link up play and creating chances is very good, shame none of his teammates were good enough today. If they were, he would have scored at least 2 goals.

Copying few images from Redcafe.

How Pogba and Rashford didn't pass the ball is beyond me. Frustrating decision making which could have cost us 2 points.

That Rashford one is a near carbon copy of the Leicester game, where he could have passed to an open Lukaku on the 90th minute but instead tried to beat the player and failed to shut out the game.

In those instances you've pictured, its criminal not to set up the guy in acres of space when you are only one up and on the back foot. Don't be selfish at 1-0. Give the guy with a better chance the opportunity to score, THEN worry bout personal glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Turning on Sunday Supplement this morning. Hoping for some salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

There is no balance with Lukaku imo. The two stills came at times when the game was stretched and Burnley were throwing men forward. Yes, they should have passed and yes it was good play to get himself into a good position, but prior to that it looked unlikely that he would be able to work a chance for himself. Then again, he was brilliant in how he created the chance for our goal, so he was the one who unlocked their resolute defence.

He was by no means brilliant yesterday and he was by no mean terrible, he had good and bad moments and has a markedly worse game than against stoke where he was my MOTM. I think we can all agree that the Stoke game should be the rule rather than the exception considering how talented he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It makes no odds how he performed up to that. Those chances the player on the ball should always slide in Lukak(or any other player) . Anything else is just taking an unnecessary risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Lol latest bull**** on wages, we are going to be giving Sanchez 500,000 a week after tax. Where do these people make up their numbers!,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    I hope Mkhitaryan has great success at Arsenal and prove alot of people wrong

Thanks Mkhitaryan

I hope he doesn't

But thanks Mkhitaryan for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Custis defending us on Sunday Supplement and actually making sense unlike the Holt guy who is just salty

That Holt guy is pissing me off - "United are a rich man's Stoke"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nalz wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't

But thanks Mkhitaryan for everything

Doesn't matter how well Mikhitryan does for them.

Arsenal gonna Arsenal every season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Flat track bullies
    Functional
    Rich man's Stoke
    Lack of ambition

Olivier Holt trolling us 🀣🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

yabadabado wrote: »
    It makes no odds how he performed up to that. Those chances the player on the ball should always slide in Lukak(or any other player) . Anything else is just taking an unnecessary risk.

The person posting them was using them as examples to back up the quote "Lukaku played very well today" and that he probably should have had a goal or two but for selfish team mates (i agree with this part). So it makes sense in that context to discuss his overall contribution.

Had he scored one of these at the end, does it mean he played well? Goal and assist suggests he did but his overall play throughout the game wasn't man of the match worthy and he wasn't even one of our better players. Our attack stuttered today and they were all off colour including him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement