Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Its like Donald Trump has created 20 accounts on boards over the weekend.

In the interest of fairness I read the article and it was actually a bit worse then I thought it would be. I was pretty bad at English in school but I feel like I could write for that website

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its like Donald Trump has created 20 accounts on boards over the weekend.

Did you not hear that Jose is the Donald trump of football and he is also insane and a psychopath this forum is nuts

In the interest of fairness I read the article and it was actually a bit worse then I thought it would be. I was pretty bad at English in school but I feel like I could write for that website

I read it too and laughed at the part where the world's most expensive footballer plays for United..... when did we get neymar? Can't believe I missed this.

And that's what's judged to be a fantastic article.

And again this isn't because someone criticised Jose its because someone comes in and denounces we need a new manager to replace the successful manager that we already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Trying to figure out where the influx of new posters came from

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Weird for people on boards dot ie to be complaining about new posters in the current year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

There is no single best style of play in football. The best way to play is what suits your players more than the others, find them space to do what they are good at. That means you find a way for a Ronaldo or Batistuta to isolate a centre half, a way for a Bale to get at or behind a full back or move a defence around to create just a little space for Messi to run into.

Arsenal are proof that in the Premier League, possession does not equal success just because they have the ball a lot.

To beat Arsenal, United managers often let them have the ball and counter them.

Beating a Pep side is the same idea so sitting back was the right idea.

United did not do enough with the ball, did not give city enough to worry about and force mistakes. Leaving Lukaku up front without anyone else to help made him easy to mark, meant he did not get to use his pace and power around the box. It made United easy to press and force them into a long ball (rather than a long pass) that had a low chance of getting to Lukaku.

Without Pogba only Matic had the composure in midfield to deal with any pressing. I really think United should have pushed another player up with him, Martial for example had the size to hold it up, pace to run in behind for a diagonal pass. Perfect to run in behind a flick like v Spurs.

Jose can continue to be and should stay a counter attacking manager but he needs to make sure he creates moments for his players do to what they do best. That did not happen v Liverpool, Chelsea and now City.

Weird for people on boards dot ie to be complaining about new posters in the current year.

Nope its just weird when the thread attracts loads of new posters after a defeat with low post counts and calling for a new manager.... or when certain posters only turn up after a defeat.

Everyone is allowed have their own opinion but if your going to come in and state something at least back it up why the manager is so bad and what better manager will replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Nope its just weird when the thread attracts loads of new posters after a defeat with low post counts and calling for a new manager.... or when certain posters only turn up after a defeat.

Everyone is allowed have their own opinion but if your going to come in and state something at least back it up why the manager is so bad and what better manager will replace him.

Almost as annoying as seasoned posters backing Mourinho to the hilt following absolute dire performances . Weird that ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

secman wrote: »
    Almost as annoying as seasoned posters backing Mourinho to the hilt following absolute dire performances . Weird that ....

I supposed they are justified to do that after the 1st season in charge and winning trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Richarlison looks a nice player

Buy him before Levy does and there’s a 100 million on his head in 12 months.

Maybe because the seasoned posters actually look at the bigger picture they realise that before he joined we had a team playing the most boring football imaginable every single game.

The seasoned posters maybe look and see he has won two trophies in his first year at the club and has earned time to get it right.

The seasoned posters look and see we are second in the league.. we are in knockout phase of the champions league.. we are threw in the league cup..

Why shouldn't we as fans of a football club back a manager that's brought us back to some form of a competitive team since the best manager we ever had retired.

Season posters like the doc and Bangkok are able to criticise the manager we will slag Bangkok a bit but overall his opinions are respected most of time because he backs up his beliefs and the doc definitely does.

Again no one has any problems with the manager been citicised jusr bloody back it up and give alternatives and we debate it.

Don't bloody come in saying sack the manager here is a fantastic article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Mourinho still has a lot of work to do on team before we throw Lukaku overboard. Service to Lukaku has generally been poor.

Wingers as full backs, young strikers as wingers. Two decent CMs at club and Pogba cant really play as one of two mids as he leaves us wide open.

We are not going to strike fear into the big teams until some of these issues are sorted out.

Jose did inherit a Europa League team let's not forget and a club that was in transition too.

Patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Maybe because the seasoned posters actually look at the bigger picture they realise that before he joined we had a team playing the most boring football imaginable every single game.

The seasoned posters maybe look and see he has won two trophies in his first year at the club and has earned time to get it right.

The seasoned posters look and see we are second in the league.. we are in knockout phase of the champions league.. we are threw in the league cup..

Why shouldn't we as fans of a football club back a manager that's brought us back to some form of a competitive team since the best manager we ever had retired.

Season posters like the doc and Bangkok are able to criticise the manager we will slag Bangkok a bit but overall his opinions are respected most of time because he backs up his beliefs and the doc definitely does.

Again no one has any problems with the manager been citicised jusr bloody back it up and give alternatives and we debate it.

Even Ferguson said the same when he called it a day. Win, lose or draw, we ALL love United for a reason, even after enduring a few rough years and some of the most most turgid football and cycling through 2 managers, until finally landing on Mourinho, but hey ho, 3rd times a charm right?

Anyways, on-wards & upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

piplip87 wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that one of the biggest clubs in world football, with unlimited spending power can attract a manager.

But what manager are you talking about? Who has a better pedigree then Jose that the club can get? I remember SAF being written off in the 00s when Jose came on the scene.

Jose isn’t finished , he’s had to pick the club up from a lower level then city. Any other season and united would be right in the mix for the league. You can’t just ignore City’s record breaking run and use it as a stick to beat Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Bigger picture most likely won't include Mourinho.. please God.
    I was a huge critic of LVG after about 6 months but that's hardly a reason to like Mourinho, who ive always disliked as a person, a coach and his take on playing footy. Every time we play a big side he reminds me of how much it disappoints me to have him as our manager.
    I would never resort to behaving like a pool fan and boast about winning 2nd and 3rd rate cups.

Come on now... we slag Bangkok a BIT .. and respect his opinions ! And I thought you were being serious up to this point.

Anyways you and I will always differ on Mourinho but will always support Our club. And we are not the only ones, so calm down, calm down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was a huge critic of LVG after about 6 months but that's hardly a reason to like Mourinho, who ive always disliked as a person, a coach and his take on playing footy. Every time we play a big side he reminds me of how much it disappoints me to have him as our manager.
    I would never resort to behaving like a pool fan and boast about winning 2nd and 3rd rate cups.

Come on now... we slag Bangkok a BIT .. and respect his opinions ! And I thought you were being serious up to this point.

Anyways you and I will always differ on Mourinho but will always support Our club. And we are not the only ones, so calm down, calm down :)

I didn’t want Jose to be honest and would of preferred Klopp for footballing reasons. But he’s the manager and I support him and what he is doing. I also feel he is one of the few managers in the world capable of dealing with managing a massive club. His ego actually helps because he doesn’t give a F**k what others think and he will do it the way he wants to do it because it’s successful.

He may not be the manager united fans want in terms of football but I think he’s the manager the club needs. He’s brought a bit of sanity to the quality of players being bought. He’s certainly given the club an identity and stability that has been lacking for sometime. We are hard to beat and can be ruthlessly efficient at counter attacking. That’s far superior to who the f**k is going to start, in what position will they play and what the F**k is going on at the club.

We have realistic expectations of putting a decent run in the champions league for the first time since Ferguson left. We have some really top class individuals along with some awesom looking younger players... The more I type the more I see how positive we should be about the future.

I remember Jose played 6 midfielders for Chelsea against united when he played united at Old Trafford when Moyes had just taken over. He won the league the next season. Nobody goes on about that game or those tactics. This is what he does and he’s attacked, not because it’s not successful but because it’s not popular. It’s pragmatic winning football and it’s not something SAF was opppsed to doing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I criticise Mourinho plenty, after the Liverpool game for example I was raging with him.

But all criticism needs to be put in the context of one simple thing, where this club was 18 months ago.

Don't these people remember those days? The ****e football, the complete lack of progress, the ****e talk from the spoofers in charge? We had three years of abject mismanagement that left us as a 6th placed team with some serious squad deficiencies, we had a club at a crossroads and people seriously talking of the danger of doing a Liverpool.

18 months later we are comfortably in 2nd, 4-0's all over the place, very solid transfer dealings that have plugged a lot of gaps and even managed to add the Uefa cup to the trophy cabinet.

So give over with the Mourinho out ****e after losing to what is clearly a side further into its development cycle than ours.

If in another 18 months Mourinho looks like stagnating then fine, fire away with the criticism, he will have had his three years. But for now just remember where they were not all that long ago.

Ok so who would you prefer to have instead if him that we could hire?

And no on is bragging about winning the two trophies but they are two cup wins never the less and if we ignore them well what's the point in supporting the team because you get no joy from it if you only are happy to win the league and champions league.

I'm calm and have no problem with you not liking him that's your choice im responding to your little comment about seasoned supporters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Question: What was Reals first 11 when Jose got the better of Peps great Barca side? I think he will be obsessed with winning the league next season but he needs to be backed 100% by that clown Woodward. He should have been allowed to sign Perisic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

lad, lets all relax tonight and laugh that Burnley have overtaken Liverpool in the league :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bangkok wrote: »
    lad, lets all relax tonight and laugh that Burnley have overtaken Liverpool in the league :D

Liverpool?

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Question: What was Reals first 11 when Jose got the better of Peps great Barca side? I think he will be obsessed with winning the league next season but he needs to be backed 100% by that clown Woodward. He should have been allowed to sign Perisic

So he's a clown again now?

Tylerdurex wrote: »

he is the current executive vice-chairman of the biggest club in the world.... Whats your job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

If there was an outstanding candidate for the managers job in the Summer Id be happy to see Jose go. He will be top of PSG’s list this Summer.

The problem is I can only think of one candidate for United and that’s Pochettino. But I’m quite certain Pochettino is happy where he is. United would have to go big to get him.

Is there any other manager out there that interests any one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Zaha really does impress when he's on form. I'm not sure if it's just demeanour but at times I wish Martial attacked with a similar level of intent and intensity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GSPfan wrote: »
    If there was an outstanding candidate for the managers job in the Summer Id be happy to see Jose go. He will be top of PSG’s list this Summer.

The problem is I can only think of one candidate for United and that’s Pochettino. But I’m quite certain Pochettino is happy where he is. United would have to go big to get him.

I'd take Ancellotti ahead of Poch.
    Poch has assembled a good side at Spurs but has won nothing, which is a major problem coming to United imo

Edit:Happy with Jose btw

I don't know about poch anymore I liked hmi but would he be an upgrade? I really don't think so judging by his decision to release a book midseason.

If Silva continues to do well with Watford for the next two years he may be an option I like what he does.

But again personally I'm happy with Jose I don't think there is one manager out there that would be available that will do better then him at this moment in time.

If we can get second place In league and get a cup win and make last 8 of champions league I don't think that would be a bad season and I don't think Jose will be going anywhere.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Zaha really does impress when he's on form. I'm not sure if it's just demeanour but at times I wish Martial attacked with a similar level of intent and intensity.

Dont really rate him .He did ok tonight but Watford were terrible at the back for both goals.

ah lads are we talking about replacing Jose already??!!

thats it, im off to bed :pac:

• Advertisement

• GSPfan wrote: »

You want another rebuild in the middle of a rebuild of a rebuild? 4th manager in 4 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

The premier league app has us on BT tomorrow night but BT are advertising the Arsenal match. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Silva continues to do well with Watford for the next two years he may be an option I like what he does.

Silva is just this seasons Bilic. Every year there is another bright young thing playing good football and getting results, a year later they are usually sacked. Sean Dyche for example, another prime candidate to move up the ladder and end up the next Curbishley or Moyes. Or Pochettino, from doing a great job to now I'm not so sure after a poor run of 5/6 games.

Not getting at you, its just that management really is a mugs game when you think about it.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd take Ancellotti ahead of Poch.
    Poch has assembled a good side at Spurs but has won nothing, which is a major problem coming to United imo

Edit:Happy with Jose btw

Oh god no. I really think we would be going backwards with Ancellotti. Id rather Jose if that was on the cards.

Pochettino has won nothing but that is literally the only thing he lacks. Other than that he ticks every box. Winning trophies in England is not easy at all. Especially if you aren’t backed by a sugar daddy.

dubmick wrote: »
    The premier league app has us on BT tomorrow night but BT are advertising the Arsenal match. Strange.

United aint on BT tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

he is the current executive vice-chairman of the biggest club in the world.... Whats your job?

So your a trump fan then?

Oh god no. I really think we would be going backwards with Ancellotti. Id rather Jose if that was on the cards.

Pochettino has won nothing but that is literally the only thing he lacks. Other than that he ticks every box. Winning trophies in England is not easy at all. Especially if you aren’t backed by a sugar daddy.
    So you want someone who knows how to win trophies?
    What do you want Utd to become as a club?
    A follow on to my other post.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You want another rebuild in the middle of a rebuild of a rebuild? 4th manager in 4 years?

Honestly wouldn’t mind it. That game on the weekend sickened me. Can’t see United sacking Jose but with PSG sniffing and Jose starting to blame everyone around him I can see an amicable parting if United felt he wanted to move.

Silva is just this seasons Bilic. Every year there is another bright young thing playing good football and getting results, a year later they are usually sacked. Sean Dyche for example, another prime candidate to move up the ladder and end up the next Curbishley or Moyes. Or Pochettino, from doing a great job to now I'm not so sure after a poor run of 5/6 games.

Not getting at you, its just that management really is a mugs game when you think about it.

Silva has a decent albeit short resume behind him already, not saying i want him but early to write him off as another Bilic. Could well be one for the future might not.

your right it is a mugs game

• Advertisement

Honestly wouldn’t mind it. That game on the weekend sickened me. Can’t see United sacking Jose but with PSG sniffing and Jose starting to blame everyone around him I can see an amicable parting if United felt he wanted to move.

Out of interest who has he been blaming?

ah lads are we talking about replacing Jose already??!!

thats it, im off to bed :pac:

Sweet dreams buddy

marouane-fellaini_9153a1d2-7ceb-11e7-b5e3-d817f67cfdf5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dont really rate him .He did ok tonight but Watford were terrible at the back for both goals.
    Yeah, I was very careful to avoid suggesting he's an upgrade but I really do like his attitude. It's very rare you see him pick up the ball in that wide area and not drive at the defence though. Martial could have done with some of that attitude facing walker at the weekend. He was too often willing to just lay it back to Young when in a decent position.

So you want someone who knows how to win trophies?
    What do you want Utd to become as a club?
    A follow on to my other post.

I want to be able to watch a United game against one of our rivals and enjoy it. I pay money to Sky and Eir to watch football for entertainment. Winning a trophy comes after that.

I want to be able to watch a United game against one of our rivals and enjoy it. I pay money to Sky and Eir to watch football for entertainment. Winning a trophy comes after that.

Loser ;);)

Out of interest who has he been blaming?

Referees for starters. Always.
    Blames football authorities for treating him differently. i.e. Peps political ribbon.
    Criticised England for Jones injuries.
    Blaming fans recently for not creating a better atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Blames football authorities for treating him differently. i.e. Peps political ribbon.

He is treated differently and Jones shouldn't have been pain killered up for a friendly. Atmosphere at United is poor generally.

Looser ;);)

Tooooo many o’s!

I wish I had the balls to just cancel them.

Do you ever remember any of Ferguson's press conferences?

He is treated differently and Jones shouldn't have been pain killered up for a friendly. Atmosphere at United is poor generally.

I don’t disagree with him on any topic specifically but it’s a deflection tactic he uses when things go wrong.

Phil Jones though is a grown man and he shouldn’t be letting himself get injected to play through the pain for a friendly. He’s the fool there. Imo.

I don’t disagree with him on any topic specifically but it’s a deflection tactic he uses when things go wrong.

Phil Jones though is a grown man and he shouldn’t be letting himself get injected to play through the pain for a friendly. He’s the fool there. Imo.

But what's going wrong? The team is doing well why do people keep saying stuff is going wrong?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement